HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 9:58 PM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
Construction status of the new dollar store on Somerset Street
(Next to NB Liquor and Atlantic Superstore)

(Photo is from Retail Talk & Share NB group on Facebook).

There is a rumour on Retail Talk & Share NB that someone was told from someone they know who is close to the construction company constructing this store (Bird) that this is Dollar Tree. However based on the permits that are online it says "Dollarama" so I guess it's a "wait and see" kind of thing.
Any update on this? I would be very surprised if it was a Dollar Tree as there are currently none in the maritimes.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewber View Post
Any update on this? I would be very surprised if it was a Dollar Tree as there are currently none in the maritimes.

I've talked to someone on Facebook, whose uncle is a contractor for Bird Construction (In particular, for the redevelopment project of the former Sears at McAllister Place). And I asked him if he knew if this was a Dollarama like the permits say or if it's a Dollar Tree like some rumours suggest. He told me it is Dollarama.

I'd hoped the rumour was true that it was a Dollar Tree, but it looks like it's just another Dollarama. The seventh one in the city to be exact.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 1:10 AM

An update on some retail related projects going on in the city.
(The following pictures are from Retail Talk & Share NB).

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 12:27 PM

Calendar Club will be opening up for the season in Saint John and Moncton in October.
https://www.calendarclub.ca

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 12:46 AM

Can all these Dollaramas opening up sustain themselves? I'm especially concerned for the 3 within a km of each other out east... what are they thinking?

There was one at Parkway, and then then opened one across the street in McAllister, and then they opened one on McAllister Drive. I was expecting them to close the one at Parkway when they opened the new one at McAllister, but they kept it open AND opened another one across the street.

The addresses are literally:

212 McAllister Drive
519 McAllister Drive
101 McAllister Drive

Like...???????????????

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnEh View Post
Can all these Dollaramas opening up sustain themselves? I'm especially concerned for the 3 within a km of each other out east... what are they thinking?

There was one at Parkway, and then then opened one across the street in McAllister, and then they opened one on McAllister Drive. I was expecting them to close the one at Parkway when they opened the new one at McAllister, but they kept it open AND opened another one across the street.

The addresses are literally:

212 McAllister Drive
519 McAllister Drive
101 McAllister Drive

Like...???????????????

I've heard that the Parkway one is closing once their lease is up, in a couple years. They probably opened the 101 McAllister Drive one when they did, so that they didn't loose out on that spot. Overall, DOLLARAMA must be doing very good for there to be so many across the country, plus they are still continuing on expanding their store count.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 12:53 PM

Dollarama is doing well because with so much shopping going online the middle of the market for shops like Sears fell out, but there is still demand for boutiques that are local and unique and at the other end for very affordable quick shopping needs. Dollar stores nail that market and fill the void a lot of other shops left, although personally I miss the days when going to a dollar store actually meant everything cost a dollar.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 10:07 PM

Some more pictures of the redevelopment of the former Sears.

(These pictures are from Retail Talk & Share NB).

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
Dollarama is doing well because with so much shopping going online the middle of the market for shops like Sears fell out, but there is still demand for boutiques that are local and unique and at the other end for very affordable quick shopping needs. Dollar stores nail that market and fill the void a lot of other shops left, although personally I miss the days when going to a dollar store actually meant everything cost a dollar.
do they have Dollar Tree out there? everything is $1.25

I once looked at a broom and Dollarama was selling the handle for $1.25 and the broom part for $1.25 so it was $2.50, the exact same broom, design, colours etc was a complete broom handle and sweeper part for $1.25 at Dollar Tree. Dollarama was trying to do it as a design your own broom lol.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
do they have Dollar Tree out there? everything is $1.25

I once looked at a broom and Dollarama was selling the handle for $1.25 and the broom part for $1.25 so it was $2.50, the exact same broom, design, colours etc was a complete broom handle and sweeper part for $1.25 at Dollar Tree. Dollarama was trying to do it as a design your own broom lol.

Sadly there is no Dollar Tree stores in Atlantic Canada

There was a rumour of one opening here in SJ (Somerset Street) but that's unfortunately just another Dollarama (the seventh one in the city).

Hopefully Dollar Tree will expand into Atlantic Canada.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 11:37 AM

Spirit Halloween is NOW OPEN!
(They are located at 90 Consumers Drive, next to Carter's OshKosh B'gosh).

https://stores.spirithalloween.com/n...ore-68568.html

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 7:46 PM

Walked through the Shoppes of City Hall today and the former pita place has been walled off for reconstruction; anyone heard anything of what may be going in there?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 10:49 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post
Walked through the Shoppes of City Hall today and the former pita place has been walled off for reconstruction; anyone heard anything of what may be going in there?
That's where they will be cutting through the slab to install the elevator that will service the reconfigured public-facing areas of City Hall i.e. customer service counters and Council Chambers.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 8:16 PM

Ah ha, I was wondering if it might've had something to do with the City Hall reconfiguration. Thanks for the info!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 9:48 PM

Earlier, Mountain Warehouse posted some more job listings (this time for Retail Supervisor and Sales Associate).

The job description mentions that they are opening this fall! (So at least we now know that it will be opening quite soon).

Source: https://ca.indeed.com/cmp/Mountain-W...menu-container
Their website: https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/ca/

For anyone wondering, this will be located in McAllister Place (I think maybe beside Envy).

Last edited by DyAm00394; Sep 12, 2019 at 10:21 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 2:33 PM

McAllister Place just officially announced that Mountain Warehouse is opening this fall.
Quote:
We are very excited to announce Mountain Warehouse Canada will be opening at McAllister Place Fall 2019. Mountain Warehouse caters to an extensive range of outdoor activities, including walking, running, cycling, camping and skiing, with a wide range of equipment and clothing for the whole family. Mountain Warehouse is focused on offering the best gear and the best service at the best prices.
Check it out ➡️ https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/ca

Source: https://www.facebook.com/McAllisterP...3012005727074/

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 8:46 PM

That’s pretty interesting, as there aren’t any Mountain Warehouse locations east of Ottawa right now. That being said, I’ve been the store in the UK and the stuff is super cheaply made for the most part

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 10:13 PM

A few new applications for permits were submitted to the city.

Source: https://saintjohn.maps.arcgis.com/ho...04b8960576f37d

East Point Shopping Center

• "Phase 1 - Landlord Renovation" at 11 Fashion Drive. (The building that houses: Celebrate, Wicker Emporium, Wheaton's, etc).
  • "Tenant fit up for a dentist office" at 15 Fashion Drive. (The building that houses: Gap Factory Store, Cleve's Source For Sports, etc).
The west side

• McDonald's located at 635 Fairville Boulevard (next to Walmart) will undergo renovations.
  • And at 944 Fairville Boulevard (Where Starbucks and Mary Brown's Chicken is located) there will be a new Mr.Lube location (2nd one in the city).

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
A few new applications for permits were submitted to the city.
  • And at 944 Fairville Boulevard (Where Starbucks and Mary Brown's Chicken is located) there will be a new Mr.Lube location (2nd one in the city).
I was wondering what the excavators were on site for. Nice to finally see something happening with that vacant lot.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 6:36 PM

Christmas Discounters will be opening for the season tomorrow (Thursday, September 19th). They are located at the same place they've been the past few years. (90 Consumers Drive, next to Carter's Oshkosh B'gosh).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces