HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 11:51 PM

Hopefully the new arena is a catalyst for major convention center changes and other nearby development. It is exciting to think about the future of this area after being worried the stadium was going south for so long lol. Others have mentioned it but I would also like to see some revival of Japantown. And maybe the Greek Orthodox Church will finally get going on some of their properties.

Question for anyone that may know: does west quarter zoning allow for unlimited height because they are creating a mid block walkway? As others have said, it would be neat to see those plans get bigger

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 1:09 AM

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 4:09 AM
Lahaina Strong

North Capitol Building:

They have begun to install the granite exterior:

Here are several pieces on a trailer:

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 5:27 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockies View Post
Question for anyone that may know: does west quarter zoning allow for unlimited height because they are creating a mid block walkway? As others have said, it would be neat to see those plans get bigger
Even if not, getting a variance for whatever height they want would be a piece of cake.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 3:31 AM

Taken within the hour:
Spark

Power District:

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 2:30 AM

Not sure if this was brought up here, apparently Worthington is the world’s largest whistle. It is ear-piercingly loud and sharp in person.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 8:11 AM

Surprised there's no talk about the recent announcement that Salt Lake City is moving to form-based zoning. I'm very excited about how this could transform the city over the medium to long term. I've always thought that Salt Lake City's code was needlessly complicated with far too many overlapping/niche zones. I'm glad the Mendenhall administration agrees. Rocky would never have done this.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
Taken within the hour:

Power District:
I need to correct something I said earlier...it wasn't me that coined the label, 'Power District'. It was labeled that with the first RFP back in 2020.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 7:16 PM
Space Magi

Nice shot of the Rio Grande Depot and downtown SLC

Source

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 11:06 PM
They all float down here

Really wish there was more height in that area.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 1:40 AM

Cool night photo. Skyline looks alright from that perspective. Astra is turning out blander than anticipated.

Pics by me.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 1:53 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
Cool night photo. Skyline looks alright from that perspective. Astra is turning out blander than anticipated.

Pics by me.
Reminds me of this message all the way back in 2019 on one of the main forums from someone in Boston:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Oh geez, a Kensington?! I certainly hope this turns out substantially better than the piece of crap they built in Boston! It's a top nominee for my city's worst high-rise of the decade! The SLC one has better proportions at least. Boston's also has terrible quality/color glass, and the siding resembles soggy cardboard. The crown is probably the worst in the whole city. Let's hope they have learned A LOT considering this would be SLC's new tallest building!

Pics of Boston's:
http://d279m997dpfwgl.cloudfront.net...3-1000x666.jpg

https://b386363e680359b5cc19-97ec114...90de13dbe8.jpg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/media.wbur....e-boston06.jpg
I do believe Salt Lake's is better but funny forewarning.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 2:47 AM

So ugly glass and blank siding is just their signature style?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 9:37 PM

Looks better than the one here so far.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 12:32 AM

That's just a bad representation guys. It's a dark photo at night with a building that is not complete and has no interior lighting on or exterior signage and lighting on. The building has really good urban presence. I do think that they should have switched out the all-glass facade on lower left area for a more punched window look.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 2:20 AM

I mean I’ve seen Astra Tower during the day, too. It’s okay to like Astra and it’s okay to not like Astra. I can still hope for cool lighting at night.

Pic by me.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
That's just a bad representation guys. It's a dark photo at night with a building that is not complete and has no interior lighting on or exterior signage and lighting on. The building has really good urban presence. I do think that they should have switched out the all-glass façade on lower left area for a more punched window look.
These were my thoughts as well. I will reserve judgment till the building is completed, lit up and has signage and possibly a mural. I think it will look fine.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 8:38 PM

Yeah I will withhold judgment as well. As it is now, it's honestly kinda hideous, so I'm definitely concerned.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 6:00 PM
NIMBY Hater

I've been working on Astra Tower for 4 years now, but the basic design was already complete when I joined Kensington. The family's goal is timelessness, and I think in 50 years we'll find Astra Tower still fits well in the skyline despite changes in trends and tastes.

That said, I'm curious if people can post some photos of your favorite multifamily towers from around the country--or even the world. I'd love to get an idea of what people like and what they think would fit within the SLC aesthetic.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 9:20 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
I've been working on Astra Tower for 4 years now, but the basic design was already complete when I joined Kensington. The family's goal is timelessness, and I think in 50 years we'll find Astra Tower still fits well in the skyline despite changes in trends and tastes.

That said, I'm curious if people can post some photos of your favorite multifamily towers from around the country--or even the world. I'd love to get an idea of what people like and what they think would fit within the SLC aesthetic.
This:

In all seriousness, the reality is residential towers, especially outside of major cities, are generally really unimpressive. I think it's primarily due to value engineering, but often the architecture isn't good to start with, and there are limited opportunities for street activation in smaller, less dense cities. Kensington is better than most. I also like Worthington, whistle acoustics notwithstanding. Here are some designs I kinda like, though many may not be realistic for Salt Lake:

Just as important than the tower design, though, is probably the street level (if not more important). Seattle has a lot of examples of contemporary residential highrises that keep it interesting and attractive on the ground:

There are probably better examples of these though. One of my favorite proposals is Wilson Tower in Austin. I'm talking the scaled back version that could actually work in SLC. We'll see if the finished product looks anything like the rendering:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West