HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
From Infinity Aerials:

Current status of the new Codiac RCMP headquarters building on Albert Street.
Anyone else noticed during construction that this is actually 2 separate buildings? There seems to be a 15' or so wide drive-thru hall way behind that orange tarp separating the square building on the right and the rectangular building on the left. I assume this is the drop off zone for the jail cell visitors.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackYear View Post
Anyone else noticed during construction that this is actually 2 separate buildings? There seems to be a 15' or so wide drive-thru hall way behind that orange tarp separating the square building on the right and the rectangular building on the left. I assume this is the drop off zone for the jail cell visitors.
The entrance is in between, I think.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 2:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackYear View Post
Good observation. You may be correct.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 3:11 PM

I believe that one part will be strictly police, and the other will be police related staff such as the dispatch center etc.

Soon we'll be talking about the old RCMP station and what should happen with that property. It's a good sized piece of land in a great location that could accommodate a notable development. Lets hope that eventually something significant that would really enhance the area gets built there.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 10:23 PM

The gap between the two buildings it’s going to be a glass atrium according to the renderings. I don’t know which page the renderings is on or else I would post one here.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
The gap between the two buildings it’s going to be a glass atrium according to the renderings. I don’t know which page the renderings is on or else I would post one here.
There's some pics in this CBC article:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...vote-1.6392366

One shows the interior of the atrium.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
There's some pics in this CBC article:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...vote-1.6392366

One shows the interior of the atrium.
Perfect! Thanks Johnny! That’s what I was looking for!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 3:28 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

From the Amico Construction website:

Here are a couple of aerials of the Tomato Building, currently under construction. These pictures are about 10 days out of date, as they are currently well underway on construction of the fourth floor of the building.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 3:32 AM

The photo above makes it look like Moncton is really getting going on developing the empty areas adjacent to downtown. It is amazing what one or two well placed, well designed buildings will do for the look and feel of an emerging district.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 11:41 AM

This is the building that got cut down because of neighbouring property owner's objections about height and shadow right? Excuse my ignorance but what was the proposed height and what is actually being built?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
This is the building that got cut down because of neighbouring property owner's objections about height and shadow right? Excuse my ignorance but what was the proposed height and what is actually being built?
The initial proposal was 10 stories, then scaled back to 6 due to tomato-related concerns.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
The initial proposal was 10 stories, then scaled back to 6 due to tomato-related concerns.
As per the developer it was actually scaled back in order to make the numbers work - not tomato's....

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 12:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
As per the developer it was actually scaled back in order to make the numbers work - not tomato's....
It doesn't matter - it will forever be known at the Tomato Building.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
Interesting. Like many I thought the height was reduced to get the project approved after strong public opposition.

Given the size of the foot print 6 floors will still be a fairly significant building.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 12:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Interesting. Like many I thought the height was reduced to get the project approved after strong public opposition.

Given the size of the foot print 6 floors will still be a fairly significant building.
The original plan was for 10 storeys, then tomato fueled NIMBY outrage occurred, with the proponent promising to look at scaling back the size of the development. City council was very encouraging of keeping the building at the original 10 storey height, but, the developer eventually opted for six storeys, supposedly for economic reasons. Whether this is the full story or not, we will never know.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 12:38 PM

Unless the developer switched from concrete or steel to wood, no way six storeys is more economical to build than ten.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Unless the developer switched from concrete or steel to wood, no way six storeys is more economical to build than ten.
Exactly Adam. In fact, when the tomato lady kicked up a stink, the developer stated that he needed 9 floors in order to make the project viable. Then when he shrunk the plan to 6 floors he changed his tune and said: "We want to listen to the community."

The building will be a nice addition to that corner, especially considering what the lot looked like before. But it's a shame they downsized what could have been an impressive entrance to the downtown core.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 6:25 PM

Quote:
It doesn't matter - it will forever be known at the Tomato Building.
It does matter because it is incorrect. And yes, I do expect the building forever to be called the Tomato building, unfortunately...

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 8:03 PM

Quote:
From the Amico Construction website:

Here are a couple of aerials of the Tomato Building, currently under construction. These pictures are about 10 days out of date, as they are currently well underway on construction of the fourth floor of the building.

I wonder what's going on across the street with the Junction? It's been radio silence as to their plans for what comes next. It would be nice to see them come forward with their next construction project, especially if it was their building facing Main Street.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 8:56 PM

Quote:

Agreed. The discussion is often focused on height but overall floorplate size plays just as important role in total units. I believe this building may house as many units as both Tannery buildings combined or close. Not that many years ago, it was the site of an old muffler shop. An exceptional improvement in my opinion that should be celebrated whether 6 or 10 stories.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces