HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 1:05 AM

Thing with Regina is to not allow anymore at grade connections. There are still a couple uncontrolled on the Regina Bypass.

Problem with the Perimeter even when it was built was the uncontrolled access points obviously. Manitoba finally seems to be on a path.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 1:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Thing with Regina is to not allow anymore at grade connections. There are still a couple uncontrolled on the Regina Bypass.

Problem with the Perimeter even when it was built was the uncontrolled access points obviously. Manitoba finally seems to be on a path.
Wow, Manitoba finally getting rid of uncontrolled intersections on the Perim., welcome to the 1980's!

What's next plastic health cards!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Wow, Manitoba finally getting rid of uncontrolled intersections on the Perim., welcome to the 1980's!

What's next plastic health cards!
Plastic Health Cards were going to be introduced by the last NDP govt and the Palliser PC's decided not to go forward with the idea to save money.

MB Health and MPI were working on a joint project to put the health info on Drivers Licenses and and Id Cards for people with no license.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 4:55 PM

I was just in Calgary for a couple of days. Despite the economic downturn, they continue to willy nilly build multiple interchanges, upgrade others, and build new bridges, all at the SAME time. Winnipeg is lucky to have ONE of these projects going on in any given year. I would bet that Alberta highways and mass transit annual budget is higher than Manitoba's ENTIRE budget for EVERYTHING. I wonder how I could find such figures.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
I was just in Calgary for a couple of days. Despite the economic downturn, they continue to willy nilly build multiple interchanges, upgrade others, and build new bridges, all at the SAME time. Winnipeg is lucky to have ONE of these projects going on in any given year. I would bet that Alberta highways and mass transit annual budget is higher than Manitoba's ENTIRE budget for EVERYTHING. I wonder how I could find such figures.
You can probably look up their published budgets.

I'm not defending the atrocious state of our highways, especially Perimeter and the lights on the TCH from years of neglect, but if anything we should compare ourselves to Saskatchewan, not Alberta.

Alberta is a whole different ball game. Alberta has about 10% more of its population living in urban centres(1) and over twice the population density(2) as Manitoba. Way more people to pay taxes, so no surprise that they can churn out interchanges.

Saskatchewan is a bit lower than MB on both of these stats but has had more oil money and no major flooding infrastructure to pay for. That being said, I feel as though highways around Winnipeg should be approximately where the Regina Bypass is at right now. Mostly grade separated with a couple low volume at-grade intersections.

The Regina bypass is 44km long (half of Perimeter's length), and has 1 RIRO and 2 fully directional at-grade intersections, with none of these at-grade intersections are anywhere close to the built up section of Regina. Most of Perimeter minus the NW corner and the SW corners (excluding oak bluff) would probably be deemed close to built portions of the city.

1-https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/7d02c106-a55a-4f88-8253-4b4c81168e9f/resource/e435dd59-2dbd-4bf2-b5b6-3173d9bd6c39/download/2016-census-population-and-dwelling-counts.pdf

2-https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/canadian-provinces-and-territories-by-population-density.html

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 6:46 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ct...13106.amp.html

Just came across this. I’m over hear shaking my head in disgust. Now I’m starting to see why bishop grandin hasn’t had one notable interchange built let alone all the other expressways in the city… pure incompetence from the city.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 7:08 PM

I could say good on each of their lawyers for standing frim lol ffs..

At least the City is allowing access for construction. Maybe this is why the extension of 1 month on pricing, and the 1-2 month delay Schuler was talking about.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 8:22 PM

Quote:
I could say good on each of their lawyers for standing frim lol ffs..

At least the City is allowing access for construction. Maybe this is why the extension of 1 month on pricing, and the 1-2 month delay Schuler was talking about.
It seems to be so! It makes you realize why we haven’t seen any major projects with interchanges on say bishop grandin… we need new city councilors with a strong vision of what a world class city is. Fighting over 94 acres of land is absurd.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ct...13106.amp.html

Just came across this. I’m over hear shaking my head in disgust. Now I’m starting to see why bishop grandin hasn’t had one notable interchange built let alone all the other expressways in the city… pure incompetence from the city.
Does Bishop even have any space for interchanges? Memory is a bit fuzzy but other than the Kenaston overpass, I can't recall any areas where there is space due to residential or commercial constraints. Happy to be corrected.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Does Bishop even have any space for interchanges? Memory is a bit fuzzy but other than the Kenaston overpass, I can't recall any areas where there is space due to residential or commercial constraints. Happy to be corrected.
Bishop has a very wide right of way. Some of the space originally reserved for interchanges was sold off and developed (e.g. Old Navy on St. Mary's, Mark's on Dakota) but there is still a lot of room for diamonds, SPUIs and the like. Waverley has tons of room, you could easily put a parclo in there.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Bishop has a very wide right of way. Some of the space originally reserved for interchanges was sold off and developed (e.g. Old Navy on St. Mary's, Mark's on Dakota) but there is still a lot of room for diamonds, SPUIs and the like. Waverley has tons of room, you could easily put a parclo in there.
Was that land sold off or leased to the developer? In my foggy mind I'm thinking that it was leased. I am more sure that the land on the St. Vital S/C side is still leased to the s/c for parking by the city

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Old Navy and the Dollarama/Marks strip mall are about 75-100m to Bishop. There's plenty of space to build diamond interchanges, or even a single point urban interchange if space is tight. You can shift the roadway north a bit if needed.

The land sold off at Lag and Regent is more problematic.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 1:18 AM

The original issue with Bishop was the Hydro towers IIRC.

I was a bit young to remember first hand. But didn't the actually pile up some of the embankments for overpasses near St Anne's / St Mary's and then take it down. Thought I heard that.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 1:16 PM

Quote:
The original issue with Bishop was the Hydro towers IIRC.

I was a bit young to remember first hand. But didn't the actually pile up some of the embankments for overpasses near St Anne's / St Mary's and then take it down. Thought I heard that.
Correct. My dad actually was working on them then. Then some smart person noticed the hydro lines. But the earth was then moved a little to form the burns you see along it now. Originally there was not to be any burms backing the residential. Just like the north side has none.
But the city actually was going to build grade seperations at both streets. St Anne's was first.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 1:40 PM
What could go wrong?

Tender is out for the St Annes's service road construction (Melnick to Creek Bend)
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 11:41 PM

This is frustrating. Why are we catering to these complainers. There is an interchange and pipeline rd meters Away… close these damn mud roads. The south perimeter is unbelievable how many the province kept open with access..

https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.ht...ted=2021-10-29

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ct...89849.amp.html

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 4:09 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
This is frustrating. Why are we catering to these complainers. There is an interchange and pipeline rd meters Away… close these damn mud roads. The south perimeter is unbelievable how many the province kept open with access..

https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.ht...ted=2021-10-29

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ct...89849.amp.html
If you read that article, you'll notice the correction at the bottom. Mr. Cyr just likes to complain and is a Chicken Little.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 5:01 PM

Just a bunch of complainers. They made shit up. Go figure.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
If you read that article, you'll notice the correction at the bottom. Mr. Cyr just likes to complain and is a Chicken Little.
Exactly! Ridiculous. And now the province does this with a full closure in 2025. That’s why nothing happens in this province. Schuler clearly said all mud roads are to be CLOSED.. look at the south perimeter.. way to many openings still.

We are approaching November tomorrow. I would hope some news about the st Mary’s interchange will come out finally.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Bishop Grandin can be made into a freeway easily. Just look at what Calgary did with the Glenmore Trail. It have even less space to manoever with, and now it's pretty much a freeway between the new ring road and the far east end of the city. It would be simple to build flyovers/diamond overpasses on any given interchange.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan