HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 4:11 PM

Are There Any Renderings Of It?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
^^

Sounds good. However, it sounds like it may possibly be just an entrance on the NE corner, and still blank walls on the North and East sides, I hope not.
That's what I took from the article as well...that they are changing the appearance of the entrance, but nothing else which isn't much of an improvement if you ask me.

For the February 14th zoning meeting, they are basically asking for the same changes as the first time around.

1) Variance to allow the 2nd story to be 16 feet, 6 inches from the curb on street sides. 20 feet is required. 2) Variance to allow the northeast corner of 2nd story and above to project 8 feet, 6 inches into the right-of-way. Not permitted. 3) Variance to increase the build-to line to 165 feet from the west property line. Maximum build-to line 15 feet on streets. 4) Variance to allow service areas visible from the public right-of-way. Full screening required. 5) Variance to delete the window frontage requirement. Minimum 30% required. 6) Variance to delete the required entrance on Fillmore Street. Minimum of 1 entrance required per public street. 7) Variance to reduce the arcade to 8 feet. Minimum of 12 feet required. 8) Variance to delete the arcade required at northeast corner on 3rd Street. Minimum 12 feet arcade required on streets.

They should really be denied until they fix some of the very basic requirements, such as the window frontage and entry off of Fillmore. Don't make this thing a fortress.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
That's what I took from the article as well...that they are changing the appearance of the entrance, but nothing else which isn't much of an improvement if you ask me.

For the February 14th zoning meeting, they are basically asking for the same changes as the first time around.

1) Variance to allow the 2nd story to be 16 feet, 6 inches from the curb on street sides. 20 feet is required. 2) Variance to allow the northeast corner of 2nd story and above to project 8 feet, 6 inches into the right-of-way. Not permitted. 3) Variance to increase the build-to line to 165 feet from the west property line. Maximum build-to line 15 feet on streets. 4) Variance to allow service areas visible from the public right-of-way. Full screening required. 5) Variance to delete the window frontage requirement. Minimum 30% required. 6) Variance to delete the required entrance on Fillmore Street. Minimum of 1 entrance required per public street. 7) Variance to reduce the arcade to 8 feet. Minimum of 12 feet required. 8) Variance to delete the arcade required at northeast corner on 3rd Street. Minimum 12 feet arcade required on streets.

They should really be denied until they fix some of the very basic requirements, such as the window frontage and entry off of Fillmore. Don't make this thing a fortress.
That is bullsh*t on ASU's part. HX_Guy is exactly right-- this is another downtown "fortress," which is especially upsetting given that these buildings are 100% city-funded (largely on the premise that the campus will rejuvenate downtown).

ASU's plan is another suburban design that obliterates the streetscape (look at variances 4 through 8 in particular). And then we'll still wonder in five years why no one walks on downtown Phoenix streets.

http://downtownphoenix.blogspot.com

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 1:15 AM

Another tower crane coming down...but at least the Cronkite building is looking great. Also, the massing of both the Cronkite and ASU dorm buildiings looks great...hopefully they will fill out the rest of these lots in the next few years, the density is awesome.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 12:57 AM

Public to get preview of ASU nursing school project

Jahna Berry
The Arizona Republic
Feb. 7, 2008 04:41 PM
The public can view the 2.0 version of Arizona State University's nursing school project at several city meetings.

On Monday, the Central City Design and Architectural Review Panel will weigh the project and Thursday, the project will be discussed at two other meetings.

Community groups successfully pressed city and university officials to redesign parts of a $30 million, five-story building that is planned at Third and Fillmore streets. The College of Nursing & Healthcare Innovation, which is on the same corner, needs the additional building for classroom and office space.

Downtown Voices Coalition and the Downtown Phoenix Partnership argued that the building needed more shade, a better entrance and that it should be a visible gateway into ASU's downtown campus.

On Thursday, project officials will unveil a re-tooled building with about $400,000 to $500,000 in exterior upgrades, said deputy city manager David Cavazos.

The city hopes to pay for the changes with money from the journalism school building, which Cavazos says, is likely to come in under budget.

"There will always be a balance between the aesthetics and the inside of the building, but we think that the building will be attractive and it will serve (the school's) educational purpose," the city official said.

The chairman of the Downtown Voices Coalition said that he couldn't comment on the re-design because it will be discussed at a coalition meeting today.

However, he was optimistic about the project.

"It seems promising," said Steve Weiss of Downtown Voices, adding that the city should make a stronger effort to front-end such projects with community groups.

"It's difficult when you volunteer your time on (city) boards," Weiss said, "and something springs up out of no where."

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 1:01 AM

It looks like the only thing they added is the shade structure, other then that, it looks the same. The angle of the renderings is pretty limited so maybe there are other changes, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 4:17 PM

A new rendering of the public park piece looking east...

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I like it. Architecturally, I liked the previous rendition, but obviously it was a bit exclusive as far as the ground floor went. This version, while no drastic changes to the floorplan have (apparently) been made, looks much more articulated and inviting at street level. I really like the sign above the shade structure.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 5:49 PM

I am confused. Is this for an existing building or a newly planned one? I can't recall.

I do like the variety of building materials. Is the goldish color stone?

I like the ASU shade canopy. I wish there was another one on the adjeacent side.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 6:01 PM

Thanks for the new rendering, HX_Guy. This park excites me. I am almost as excited about it begining as a new skyscraper starting construction.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 6:33 PM
Dbacks baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
I am confused. Is this for an existing building or a newly planned one? I can't recall.

I do like the variety of building materials. Is the goldish color stone?

I like the ASU shade canopy. I wish there was another one on the adjeacent side.
Its a new building from the ground up. I think much of the building will have a metallic skin, The reason for the bronzed (gold) look.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 7:21 PM

The problem with the rendering of the ASU building is that you can't really see the ground floor, so it's difficult to say what's going on. But that list of variances that they continue to request does not paint a pretty picture...I'm still in opposition unless I see or hear something else.

http://downtownphoenix.blogspot.com

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 8:06 PM

Again, showing I missed a memo, where will it be located, height, start date?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 9:15 PM

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=160http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=160
Here is HX_Guy's original post for the Nursing building, the memo you missed. That post doesn't have all of the info you're looking for, I don't think we know the exact height or start date. It's 5 stories, and it should be done sometime late next year/early '10.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 9:37 PM

With 5 stories, it will probably be in the 70' range I suspect, maybe a bit taller but nothing huge.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 11:18 PM

Thanks andrewkfromaz.....you rock!!!!!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 6:36 PM

Love the copper colored cladding...

http://cronkitebuilding.asu.edu/

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 6:43 PM

ME TOO HX_Guy!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 10:36 PM

Just a couple of shots from today.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 7:28 PM

March 16th.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest