HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 6:38 PM

For me its all about the condition of the road. I only have a road bike, but given that our roads and paths haven't been a layer of ice until now, I've been able to ride more often this winter. For me its not the cold or snow, its that most winters the snow doesn't actually melt off the streets and it just gets packed down into this slippery surface that I just can't bike on.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 4:09 PM

WFP article today on people on bikes being ticketed:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...574943832.html

Can someone who knows a thing or two about bike lanes explain if the shared sidewalk style we're seeing on Maryland are any good? My inclination is that its not. For me it has nothing to do with grade separation but on Maryland there is hardly any separation at all, its just two different colours of pavement. I roll my eyes when I see someone walking in the bikelane on Sherbrook, but I can't have that same reaction on Maryland because its so subtle. I've seen a number of near misses by Westminster.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 4:21 PM

The Maryland one, while definitely better than none at all, could certainly benefit from painting the Bicycle and Diamond symbols on it. Maybe make the pavement green, too.

Oh, and while we're at it, big impossible-to-overlook arrows on all the bike lanes indicating the direction of travel. Hanlon's Razor says they just don't realize, but I see my fellow cyclists going the wrong way all the time. Drives me bananas.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
WFP article today on people on bikes being ticketed:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...574943832.html

Can someone who knows a thing or two about bike lanes explain if the shared sidewalk style we're seeing on Maryland are any good? My inclination is that its not. For me it has nothing to do with grade separation but on Maryland there is hardly any separation at all, its just two different colours of pavement. I roll my eyes when I see someone walking in the bikelane on Sherbrook, but I can't have that same reaction on Maryland because its so subtle. I've seen a number of near misses by Westminster.

I'm really not a fan of that stretch. I prefer to just stay on the road much of the time, because going up and down at each intersection is annoying. There is also some issue with people walking onto it, especially at the bus stops. But the biggest issue I have with it is that it doesn't give cyclists an indication of whether they're supposed to switch to the road for the bridge, or stay on the sidewalk. Particularly an issue given the article and people getting tickets for being on sidewalks.

The Sherbrook side is definitely better. Grade separation from pedestrians, no annoying ups and downs at intersections, and full separation from vehicles aside from intersections.
Even with the curb cuts every 5 feet in some areas (*cough*garry*cough*) they would be what I suggest should go in most of downtown and built up areas. I'm even okay with the two-direction ones, as long as they are marked as such and wide enough.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
The Maryland one, while definitely better than none at all, could certainly benefit from painting the Bicycle and Diamond symbols on it. Maybe make the pavement green, too.

Oh, and while we're at it, big impossible-to-overlook arrows on all the bike lanes indicating the direction of travel. Hanlon's Razor says they just don't realize, but I see my fellow cyclists going the wrong way all the time. Drives me bananas.
It's really frustrating because there are a lot of spots where a little bit of paint and a few signs would dramatically improve our bike infrastructure at almost no cost, but they just can't be bothered to do it.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 5:49 PM

To be honest I like the Maryland bike lane as it does provide a safe connection for crossing the Assiniboine and I often use it in both directions as its traffic is very low and crossing Sherbrooke over the river is really scary imo. That said, the design I think looks kinda like crap and there have been a few close calls with pedestrians walking in the lane. I just wish WPG did the MTL style lanes where a proper buffer is provided separate from the sidewalk and street. There's also just look way better, especially when they put plants and stuff in that barrier like here - https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5227...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 5:52 PM

The new ones on Westminster have me worried though. They're very curvy and narrow in Wolseley which will make it all but impossible to bike side by side which is something I often do when traffic is low. It'll also be hard to pass people and bad for children as they often swerve and generally need a bit more space than adults based on my experience biking with relatives.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 8:10 PM

Those of us who are cyclists know that sometimes the sidewalk is a necessary refuge in order to avoid dying. With proper infrastructure, cyclists wouldn't find the need to resort to sidewalks.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 9:50 PM

I fully agree that in a lot of areas our infrastructure is fine but it's the lack of (or horrible) signage that really makes things work poorly. It would not take much effort.

Just look at when the RT AT path opened – it had no directional or route signage and you just had to guess where you were going if you need to connect to a different path or street – or how to get through/around the RT stations. People complained and within a couple weeks the city put up clear signage. It really doesn't take much money or thinking.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 9:27 PM

The Wolseley protected bike lanes are well underway for construction, at least for the segment along Westminster and Balmoral from Langside to the Granite Club - probably farther west too, but I wasn't over there

Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 10:29 AM

Councillor Allard and Gilroy are trying to put forward three new budget motions to help accelerate the bike infrastructure expansion of the city.

https://www.bikewinnipeg.ca/2021/10/...udget-motions/

Quote:
Require that new active transportation funding equal to 10% of the projected total road renewals budget (projected to grow by more than $10 million to $162 million in 2022) be referred to the 2022 Budget Review Process and the six-year capital forecast (Item No. 19).

Update inclusion/prioritization criteria for the road renewals program to require walking and cycling improvements to be included in more road renewal projects to accelerate development of the pedestrian and cycling networks (Item No. 20);

Require the Transportation Master Plan (currently being reviewed/updated) to include provisions that by 2030 at least 50% of all trips taken in the city should be taken by foot, bike, bus, or as a passenger (Item No. 21).
They will be attempted to put forward on October 12. However, today is the last day to provide a letter of support in favor of this action by 4:30 to the Standing Policy Committee on Infrastructure Renewal and Public Works.

To article also provides additional avenues to support this motion by recommending to contact your local councillor and/or mayor. If we want to improve the bike infrastructure, connectivity, reduce emissions, reduce traffic, and provide alternative modes of transport throughout the city this is a good starting point.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
People complained and within a couple weeks the city put up clear signage. It really doesn't take much money or thinking.
There was always going to be signage. It just wasn't ready to be installed when the path opened.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2021, 1:58 AM

Enhanced Summer Bike Routes Program Survey

The City is doing a survey / engagement about the summer bike routes program, which expanded upon the sunday + holiday program which was already in place. Link is above if you are interested! 🚲

Old Posted Nov 20, 2021, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
Enhanced Summer Bike Routes Program Survey

The City is doing a survey / engagement about the summer bike routes program, which expanded upon the sunday + holiday program which was already in place. Link is above if you are interested! 🚲
Awful survey. I tried to fill out the survey but there was no way to say what I wanted with their limited check boxes. So I had to exit before completion. Which is too bad because I am on Wellington Cr daily as a cyclist or pedestrian and I would like to have a voice on the matter. This will have to be my outlet. I prefer it the way it was. It worked really well for all. Lyndale too. I can't speak to the other routes.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2021, 6:23 AM

Yea I also traversed on Wellington and Lyndale and was quite fond of the program. I did the survey on my phone and had no issues hopefully the NIMBYs don’t get in the way of this program.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 11:52 PM

I live near Lyndale and I can tell you this topic has seriously divided our community. Many side streets have seen major increase in traffic, add in back lane construction and some streets are even busier. Sat & Sun afternoon it’s nice, 7 days a week for 6 months it is not.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 2:15 AM

A super juicy proposal was revealed from the 2050 Transportation Master Plan. If this comes to fruition this will be an absolute gamechanger to make Winnipeg a bike-friendly city. In fact according to Chris Baker these would be completely protected and separated from traffic.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 2:50 AM

Nice. Adding a protected bike lane to Osborne would improve the street and area so much.
It's kind of weird how Main wouldn't connect with Portage though.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 3:05 AM

Nice. Looking at it as a St. Vital resident I like the fact that the St. Mary's Rd corridor would go deep into the neighbourhood, but I don't like the fact that it doesn't connect with Osborne. Maybe include Fermor to make the connection? Also it would be nice to see the St. Mary's corridor get pushed north at least to Portage if not all the way up to connect with the Main corridor.

Also, while I realize it has the AT path along the BRT line, SW Winnipeg is entirely excluded... the Pembina corridor is so weak that it should probably be rebuilt according to the newer standards that will be applied to the routes shown above.

I'm sure everyone can probably spot a few weaknesses in their part of town.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggerino View Post
It's kind of weird how Main wouldn't connect with Portage though.
That may be reflecting the existing, if incomplete, collection of lanes through the Exchange

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan