HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted May 26, 2008, 5:13 AM
Closed account

the minute you starting taking a pimp's word you're in serious trouble.

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 11:14 PM
It's Hammer Time

To house MIP visitors – the research and business community alike – construction of a hotel is set to start late in 2008 or early 2009. feasibility studies will determine if the project – with approximately 140 rooms – will be built as a traditional hotel, a longstay suites hotel, a combination of the two, or two separate projects on the same site.

Btw this is supposed to be a Marriott Hotel chain.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 12:54 PM
It's Hammer Time

So yea the InterContinental Hotel is supposed to start construction this year. I betcha it'll probably take weeks and weeks to dig and flatted out that old used cars parking lot.

So there could be four hotels under construction in Lower Hamilton this year, InterContinental, Hilton, Days Inn and one at MIP.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 1:11 PM
Closed account

Staybridges is being converted to seniors apartments, and apparently one of the 2 hotels to be built at HMP used lot will be a bigger Staybridges - 10 to 14 storey range.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 1:53 PM
It's Hammer Time

Ah that makes sense as I was surprised one would want to drop Staybridges as it's non-vacancy rate is higher than the average for Ontario. So I guess they decided to go bigger for the Staybridges chain.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 8:31 PM
On Guard For Thee

Given that Staybridge Suites as an InterContinental Group chain--I assume all the "InterContinental" talk is in reference to what will be a new Staybridge Suites--on the HMP lot behind the Bank of Montreal.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 9:32 PM
Closed account

there are two hotels planned for that site...both in the 10-15 storey range.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 6:33 AM
On Guard For Thee

Oh...ok...I'm losing track of the various hotel proposals. Presumably they would both be IC Group Hotels and would share some back-of-house functions. Marriott is leader in this concept (as potentially proposed for the MIP site)--they frequently co-locate Courtyard and Residence Inn.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 12:49 PM
Closed account

How many Hotel proposals are there. We need someone to do an updates construction list that used to be floating around. Maybe even just for hotels.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 12:51 PM
It's Hammer Time

I had a list but lost it, I'll try and search for it again.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 10:22 AM
Closed account

we've had a million-and-one hotel proposals recently. if more than two of those get built i'll eat my stinky gotchies.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 11:14 AM
It's Hammer Time

Staybridges loan to transfer to new owner

June 12, 2008
The Hamilton Spectator

A downtown hotel will hold onto a city loan while it is converted into a seniors home.

Staybridges Suites on Market Street is expected to become a retirement residence in less than two years. The city gave its owners -- Darko Vranich's Vrancor Group and John Bukovac's Wilshire Group -- a $2.1-million loan a few years ago to convert an old postal warehouse into the long-stay hotel. According to city staff, Wilshire now plans to sell the property to 118 Market Street Limited Partnership.

Council agreed last night to transfer the city's loan to the new owner on several conditions. All outstanding taxes and this year's tax payment must be paid in full. A lump-sum payment of $300,000 is also required to bring the outstanding balance owed on the loan to $1.3 million.

The loan must be paid back in 18 months.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 1:40 PM
It's Hammer Time

Staybridges has stopped taking any reservations after 50 weeks. So this time next year it’ll likely close down as a Staybridges.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 3:06 AM
Closed account

as far as I know, a new Staybridges will be built at the HMP used lot. 10-15 stories. They plan on opening that hotel shortly after closing down the small one on Market.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 3:14 PM

Sheraton hotel to get $10m facelift

Dana Brown
The Hamilton Spectator
(Aug 9, 2008)
The Sheraton Hamilton Hotel is set to undergo about $10 million in renovations after it changes hands next month.

Well-known developer Darko Vranich has confirmed his Burlington-based company, Vrancor Group, is set to close a deal to buy the hotel in mid-September.

"It's a great asset in downtown Hamilton ... and I'm excited about it," he said.

Vranich was tight-lipped about what renovations to the hotel could entail.

Rumours about the sale have been swirling for months.

Earlier this year, a union official at the Sheraton said Vrancor had signed a letter of intent to buy the 23-year-old hotel.

City council has also given its approval to moving forward with the transfer of the ground lease.

Currently, Starwood Hotels owns the hotel, which stands 17 storeys and has 299 rooms.

The company did not respond to a request for comment yesterday.

Downtown councillor Bob Bratina said the project, and the renovations that will come with it, will mean a lot for the core.

"It does show that the hotel business is viable in Hamilton," he said.

The project is the latest in a series of developments, including another project by Vranich.

Bratina said plans to develop the former HMP site at Main and Bay streets are moving forward and the city has already dealt with some issues regarding the site plan.

Two questions,
is the city slowing down the hilton hotel or trying to speed up a sleeping Vranich?
and would the Sheraton remain under the Sheraton name after is changed hands becuase it is no longer under starwood?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 3:51 PM
Closed account

I'm not enthused about this.
Darko seems to be buying up property all over downtown and doing jack squat with them.
Just focus on a couple and get something done.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 4:13 PM

Chris I would guess it's a little of both on the Hilton site at Main and Bay. It reads as though site plans are being exchanged between the city and Vrancor as they work towards a plan that can go to council for approval. This can really slow down the process of getting the shovel in the ground, and an empty lot leaves the impression that nothing is being done. But preparing a proper site plan takes a lot of time (and money).

As far as the Sheraton deal goes, the name will probably stay as Starwood sells the Sheraton brand as a franchise. About 40% of Sheraton locations are franchised.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 4:19 PM
It's Hammer Time

Remember Darko buying the Sherton comes with a lot of stings......the employees are part of a UNION. Therefore Darko just can't sit around he'll be forced to set timelines. If Darkso says $10 million renovation than the union will expect the $10 million renovation.

I hope the exterior and the dining second floor area gets a makeover.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 4:37 PM

Its cheaper to tear a building down and sit on a parking lot for a few years than pay the property tax associated with an empty building. That's why he tore down the building without plans to build right away.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 5:21 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Remember Darko buying the Sherton comes with a lot of stings......the employees are part of a UNION. Therefore Darko just can't sit around he'll be forced to set timelines. If Darkso says $10 million renovation than the union will expect the $10 million renovation.

I hope the exterior and the dining second floor area gets a makeover.
I'd like to see their cafe moved to the King St frontage instead of those lame windows with advertising.
They could have a small patio on King too.
And yes, the second floor dining area...TONS of potential there...perhaps sliding glass windows that can open up to the street and a trendier interior.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton