HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 4:02 AM
TL;DR

Maybe... I didn't think there was room for a full-sized supermarket and parking lot on that site without kicking out the velo campus, but maybe it's larger than I thought.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 1:44 PM

39 S. LaSalle Hotel Conversion?

Scaffolding is up around the building and a few of the stores have closed. Crain's reported back in December that this building could be converted to a Kimpton Hotel. It looks like some demo permits were issued in April and May.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...king-district#

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killaviews View Post
Scaffolding is up around the building and a few of the stores have closed. Crain's reported back in December that this building could be converted to a Kimpton Hotel. It looks like some demo permits were issued in April and May.

Yeah, but some of the stuff got denied in it.
http://webapps.cityofchicago.org/bui...mber=100528966

It could be under another address, but I doubt it. But if you do want other news, 11 S LaSalle got their building permit to convert to a hotel last week or the week before.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Those spandrels... oof.
I know. I was out there for the Guerrilla Truck event a couple of weeks ago, and I was hoping that the muted turquoise was some protective backing film for the panels for shipping/handling, but...nope.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 4:49 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by killaviews View Post

Thanks for the report. This is exciting news to see this project apparently moving ahead. Of all the hotel projects in the Central Loop area, I'm most excited for this one - a unique Kimpton project on LaSalle.....in fact, this is probably in my top 2 or 3 for hotel projects right now in all of downtown......this diversification away from a total dependence on office is great for LaSalle St and immediate adjacent areas.....

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 2:24 AM

I'm pretty excited as well. The more these vintage buildings can be flipped out of offices the better. I've always felt they've had uncertain futures decaying away as class B and C space with cruddy 1970's remodels and drop ceilings.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 8:25 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Chicago plans global architectural expo for 2015

The Chicago Tribune
Chicago plans global architectural expo for 2015
Blair Kamin
Cityscapes

12:00 a.m. CDT, June 24, 2014

Aiming to boost tourism and elevate its status as a design center, Chicago next year will mount a global exhibition of cutting-edge architecture that will strive to duplicate the cachet and commercial success of a cultural spectacle in Venice, Italy.

The upstart exhibition, which Mayor Rahm Emanuel plans to announce Tuesday, will be called the Chicago Architecture Biennial, a nod to the prestigious Venice Biennale, which just opened its 14th international architecture exhibition.....

Link

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 1:19 PM
TL;DR

This is cool. I think the city has to put substantial resources behind this, though. The Venic biennale has a dedicated site in a park, on an island city where space is at a premium. It has also been running in some form (art/architecture) for a century. There's also a crowded field of competing architecture/design fairs... So Chicago will need extraordinary support and a creative, dedicated management team behind the fair if we want to attain global status.

I think if Rahm wanted to promote architectural excellence (he doesn't) he should institute a design excellence program for all new city buildings, as they have in NY. Chicago has way too much focus on poor quality prototypes, like the standardized police station or park fieldhouse. Only CPS' John Ronan-designed high school prototype is world-class architecture. The new CTA stations are getting there too, thanks to Carol Ross Barney.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 2:15 PM

Today is general discussion for the 2014 Urban Sustainability Apps Competition at the Merchandise Mart. I can't code or make apps but a friend of mine at working at Transit Future said today is a meeting of the minds and feedback on ideas. Also, they grant access to the following data:

-The Housing + Transportation (H+T) Affordability Index
-The Abogo Transportation Cost API
-The Transit-Oriented Development Database

City of Chicago data includes mapping and statistical data on:
-Sustainable Development
-Energy
-Transportation
-Water
-Buildings
-Parks, Open Space, and Food Access
-Climate

Link: http://goo.gl/6wQTyT

Just thought I would give everyone a heads up for whoever is interested.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 2:16 PM

15 unit building with 1st floor offices got a building permit for 2740 W North Ave, which is about North & California. I think there is/was an abandoned industrial style building there. Developer appears to be Northfield Group out of Wheeling

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 2:22 PM

I have a feeling the global architectural community is going to laugh in Rahm's face after he supported the destruction of Prentice. Maybe this architectural expo will be a learning experience for him if a crowd of starchitects show up and publicly shame his handling of the landmarks committee at various speaking opportunities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
15 unit building with 1st floor offices got a building permit for 2740 W North Ave, which is about North & California. I think there is/was an abandoned industrial style building there. Developer appears to be Northfield Group out of Wheeling

This is actually replacing what was a very nice art deco single story retail building. It had a fantastic jagged terra cotta cornice. I saw it being torn down a few weeks ago and wondered what would be replacing it.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
This is actually replacing what was a very nice art deco single story retail building. It had a fantastic jagged terra cotta cornice. I saw it being torn down a few weeks ago and wondered what would be replacing it.

That's too bad I guess. I couldn't remember what was there so I Google Street View'd it.

A few other things:
A new 5 story building coming to what I believe is a vacant lot at 1920 S Wabash (~Wabash & Cullerton) received a building permit. First floor will be the Chicago Dance Studio and the other four floors will be one unit each at 2552 sq ft.

* The Zoning Board of Appeals approved the Real World property at 1100 W Randolph
* They approved a conversion to 106 units at 619 S LaSalle (~LaSalle & Harrison)
* ^^ They also approved two buildings at around 61st & Prairie for around 39 units.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 5:25 PM

Chicago to ask for temporary halt of single-room occupancy hotel conversions
Mary Ellen Podmolik - Chicago Tribune

10:30 a.m. CDT, June 24, 2014

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...0,878205.story

Quote:
Chicago is calling for a six-month moratorium on conversions of single-room occupancy hotels and residential hotels while it tries to figures out how to regulate the gentrification that has put thousands of very-low-income housing units at risk.

An ordinance that would prohibit for six months the issuance of any city building permits for the demolition or conversion of the buildings is expected to be introduced at Wednesday’s City Council meeting by Mayor Rahm Emanuel and several aldermen.

The moratorium would prevent almost all conversion projects, whether it was to a residential, non-residential, commercial or industrial use. Building permits still would be issued for routine maintenance and improvements, but that’s not what has taken place historically.
Not surprised, but still. Every time it looks like we are moving forward another roadblock shows up.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickeNES View Post

Not surprised, but still. Every time it looks like we are moving forward another roadblock shows up.
This sounds totally unlike Rahm, but then again, check the dates: Six months from now is just before the election. I have a feeling this nonsense is just a ploy so Rahm can push through some bullshit legislation right before the election to get votes from certain factions of the population. Perhaps the ban won't expire until after the election and then Rahm will let the issue die...

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 7:22 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
.....This is actually replacing what was a very nice art deco single story retail building. It had a fantastic jagged terra cotta cornice. I saw it being torn down a few weeks ago and wondered what would be replacing it.
Courtesy Google Streetview:

Link

I assume (hope) that the demo crew would've salvaged the terra cotta?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickeNES View Post

as an uptown resident, i fully support this.

there are plenty of strip malls and empty lots the developers should concentrate on before zeroing in on housing of last resort.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrab View Post
Courtesy Google Streetview:

I assume (hope) that the demo crew would've salvaged the terra cotta?
Someone did, I saw a bunch of it laying on the ground inside the fence and was going to return with my van and dig it all out, but when I came back the next day, the site was picked clean of the fancy edge terra cotta and most of the blue flat pieces.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 8:55 PM

Last edited by r18tdi; Jun 24, 2014 at 9:46 PM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 9:11 PM

Sneed exclusive: Chicago to get George Lucas Museum

The Force is with Chicago!

Sneed hears Chicago is a lock for the Lucas Museum.

Reliable sources tells Sneed that Mayor Rahm Emanuel has won a fierce competiton with Los Angeles and San Francisco to house a first-of-its-kind interactive museum and warehouse for movie mogul George Lucas formidable collection of artwork and "Star Wars" movie memorabilia.

http://politics.suntimes.com/article...242014-346pm-1

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 9:12 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Local papers are (tentatively) reporting that Chicago is expected to get the 'Lucas Museum of Narrative Arts', during a board member vote tomorrow...

Edit: you beat me to it jc Either way, dear God I hope this is true!!!! Amazing!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development