HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

1000M in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 2:38 AM
Development Shill

[QUOTE=the urban politician;8148592]^ How is 6 units per month slow sales velocity?

6 units per month for a 323 unit building, in a market where that rate is all but guaranteed to drop off to an even slower rate is abysmal. If they can keep up their current rate they would hit 80% occupancy by May 2022. If the rate drops to 3 a month, they would take until 2026.

I just don't see how they can hope to make money with loans piling up interest as they fail to pay them back on time and as advertising continues to burn a hole in their pocket. They've spent millions on ads alone and not a ounce of dirt has been moved.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree View Post
That number seems about right. It says new condo sales which could be the reason for the low number. Also, it depends on what their definition of downtown is. I bet it's only the loop, south loop, and river north. They probably excluded the West Loop which has seen a ton of new condo sales. The city hasn't seen much condo growth since the recession, so this doesn't seem very far off.
Thanks for the explanation. Just wow, to those low numbers! Will Chicago's Condo market recover before the next recession? We are going on 8+ years of economic recovery now.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
Thanks for the explanation. Just wow, to those low numbers! Will Chicago's Condo market recover before the next recession? We are going on 8+ years of economic recovery now.
I think you mean downtown new condo market. There are plenty of condos trading all over the city including downtown.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 3:06 AM

Are there other cases of buildings that went through a similar situation as this one did? And did they end up actually getting built or did they get canceled/have construction stall? Because honestly, that's the only vibe I continue to get from this project; something is gonna go wrong down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
They've spent millions on ads alone and not a ounce of dirt has been moved.
15 postholes!!!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I think you mean downtown new condo market. There are plenty of condos trading all over the city including downtown.
Haha yeah I was referring to the new downtown condo market. That's still really low numbers in my mind though. Still Chicago's overall condo market has not recovered from the past recession.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 3:16 AM

Typically you only need 33% sold for construction financing so they are 33% of the way to groundbreaking...

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Haha yeah I was referring to the new downtown condo market. That's still really low numbers in my mind though. Still Chicago's overall condo market has not recovered from the past recession.
Definitely low numbers for downtown. The total numbers for the city are strong though.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 3:19 AM

^I hope so. Do you have those numbers by any chance?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Typically you only need 33% sold for construction financing so they are 33% of the way to groundbreaking...
This one may require 50% though. Those smaller buildings you see in neighborhoods will require less pre sales or even no presales

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 3:20 AM

Quote:
^I hope so. Do you have those numbers by any chance?
Illinois realtor association has them. There were only a few years during the height of the craziness of the 2000s that have higher sales.

The problem now is that there is very little inventory on the market.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 4:39 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
From my understanding, most new units coming online downtown have been rentals, with condos being stronger in the neighborhoods; although apartments still dominate in the neighborhoods as well. Declining home ownership rates is a nationwide phenomenon.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
From my understanding, most new units coming online downtown have been rentals, with condos being stronger in the neighborhoods; although apartments still dominate in the neighborhoods as well. Declining home ownership rates is a nationwide phenomenon.
Yeah - there are a good number of 2-4 unit small condo buildings that have been built in various neighborhoods (Lakeview, Ukrainian Village, Logan Square, Bucktown, etc) in the last large handful of years as I've been tracking.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 1:23 PM
The City

[QUOTE=Kumdogmillionaire;8148674]
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ How is 6 units per month slow sales velocity?

6 units per month for a 323 unit building, in a market where that rate is all but guaranteed to drop off to an even slower rate is abysmal. If they can keep up their current rate they would hit 80% occupancy by May 2022. If the rate drops to 3 a month, they would take until 2026.

I just don't see how they can hope to make money with loans piling up interest as they fail to pay them back on time and as advertising continues to burn a hole in their pocket. They've spent millions on ads alone and not a ounce of dirt has been moved.
Understood, but how are sales rates “all but guaranteed to drop off”?

The Trump Tower took YEARS to finally sell out. I think we have to refine our expectations here. These aren’t $300,000 condos were talking about here. These will sell slowly

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 1:36 PM

I agree... as long as they are sold....

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 4:15 PM

[QUOTE=the urban politician;8148968]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post

Understood, but how are sales rates “all but guaranteed to drop off”?

The Trump Tower took YEARS to finally sell out. I think we have to refine our expectations here. These aren’t $300,000 condos were talking about here. These will sell slowly
Sales are likely to slow because the fed is raising rates. We've had 4 rate increases last year and we'll probably get another 4 increases this year and that trend is likely to continue until the fed crashes the housing market. 6 units/month = 54 months to sell out. If their goal is 1/2 sold before they break ground, we're looking at another two years before that happens at the current pace! This project is toast if sales do not speed up and that is very unlikely in a rising rate environment.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 4:31 PM
Development Shill

Adding to the issue with increased interest rates and an economy that is slowing to a halt, people are going to start backing out of contracts if they don't see the building start construction in the next year. They'll take the 30k penalty or whatever it is specifically for this building and just buy somewhere else

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 4:39 PM

[QUOTE=MakeChicagoGreatAgai;8149233]
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

Sales are likely to slow because the fed is raising rates. We've had 4 rate increases last year and we'll probably get another 4 increases this year and that trend is likely to continue until the fed crashes the housing market. 6 units/month = 54 months to sell out. If their goal is 1/2 sold before they break ground, we're looking at another two years before that happens at the current pace! This project is toast if sales do not speed up and that is very unlikely in a rising rate environment.
Some of your statement is factually incorrect. We had 3 rate hikes in 2017. CME futures are 50/50 on whether we will have a total of 3 or 4 rate hikes in 2018. The idea the fed is going to crash the housing market is just false. We will not see a 2008 replay due to a variety of factors.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 6:18 PM
Development Shill

[QUOTE=Stunnies23;8149268]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeChicagoGreatAgai View Post

Some of your statement is factually incorrect. We had 3 rate hikes in 2017. CME futures are 50/50 on whether we will have a total of 3 or 4 rate hikes in 2018. The idea the fed is going to crash the housing market is just false. We will not see a 2008 replay due to a variety of factors.
The reason they are raising rates is to avoid a crash... What are you even saying? He isn't saying the market will crash, he's saying increased rates will slow the market... which is as close to scientific fact as it gets in economics.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 6:24 PM

Does anyone know the price ranges for these units.....

There definitely are some tempting units on the website in terms of design and size, but price per square foot would really be the telling factor on what types of buyers they're targeting. For the typical well to do empty nester in their mid to late 50's looking to move back into the city.... I'd image most of them want to be north of the river, and steps from north Michigan ave. That's why I believe the Tribune tower addition and One Chicago square won't have the same slowness of sales like this building is experiencing.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
Does anyone know the price ranges for these units.....

There definitely are some tempting units on the website in terms of design and size, but price per square foot would really be the telling factor on what types of buyers they're targeting. For the typical well to do empty nester in their mid to late 50's looking to move back into the city.... I'd image most of them want to be north of the river, and steps from north Michigan ave. That's why I believe the Tribune tower addition and One Chicago square won't have the same slowness of sales like this building is experiencing.
There's a pretty wide range of prices on this page from moderately expensive to very expensive (Chicago standards)

http://www.goldcoastrealty-chicago.c...s-for-sale.php

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction