HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nushiof View Post
How soon do we think we’ll see renderings of the new entertainment district?
Renderings for a project that is actually funded and based on studies that represent real world plans? Really hard to say…

The only imminent plans are to get NHL locker rooms, pick a name (maybe?) and possibly sell some tickets? Not sure on when the last two will happen.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:35 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Renderings for a project that is actually funded and based on studies that represent real world plans? Really hard to say…

The only imminent plans are to get NHL locker rooms, pick a name (maybe?) and possibly sell some tickets? Not sure on when the last two will happen.
Not to sound dickish (but it absolutely will be dickish - just a ribbing, tho) but I have to laugh at you over here sounding like you're privy to anything related to this and how far they are in their timeline.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:39 PM
of SLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post

Your last question has already been answered, emphatically.

Ryan Smith didn’t know how many fans had made deposits for season tickets, because the number had climbed so rapidly since the NHL Board of Governors voted to establish a new franchise in Utah little more than 24 hours before.

“Where are we at?” he asked.

The updated figure was about 22,700.

“OK,” he said. “That’s good.”

Old Posted Today, 12:07 AM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
Am I the only one who still feels very uncomfortable with the idea of spending billions demolishing the convention center to build an entertainment district (a few bars, restaurants, etc.)?

Especially when there are vacant lots to the block north. Would not SEG be wiser to contract with Property Reserve to build on their parking lots instead?
They have been in contact with the church by some accounts. The problem is that although the church may be discussing potential solutions they probably aren’t keen to give up property they’ve held for decades with their own tentative plans to now let it be used for an arena. They own a lot of contiguous land (minus the streets) and a simple land swap would screw that up. It’s not impossible but seems a hard sell for negotiators.

I think a lot of people are uncomfortable with the price tag. I’m kind of ambivalent because while I don’t believe citizens will gain a financial return on the investment, there is a cultural benefit from adding another pro sports team that you can’t put a price on and I want it to be centered on Salt Lake City. That benefit won’t be worth it to everybody though. It’s a ton of money. Some of the highest public spending in the history of the state. And it only affects slc. Sure, people other than slc residents spend money in the city but it would disproportionately impact slc residents.

Now, if the arena plans ended up moving to point of the mountain do we think a tax would be levied only within the municipality in which it is built? I don’t—and I think Salt Lake sees a tax raise no matter where the arena goes, unless citizens really rise up to defeat this. That puts Salt Lake residents in a bit of a quandary where I’m sure the bulk of them want the arena in slc, but if they fight the tax they risk the arena moving elsewhere and paying some sort of tax for it anyway. Is there room for changes and negotiation on that front? I don’t know but doesn’t seem like there is much, if any. And with the compressed timeline being pushed, leaders and citizens may feel pressure to cave and get it done before minds are changed and the arena gets moved.

I don’t like it but I’m going along with it because I’m excited about the result and recognize the city hardly holds a lot of cards here. It’s not exactly fair but it is the reality. Admittedly I’m not an slc resident but I hope to be again within a few months.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West