HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 11:46 PM

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 12:32 AM
Skyriser

"Right in the middle of ASU" ... at the northwestern border of campus.

"Right at the corner of University and Mill," showing the fenced up Chilis ...

Makes me wonder how much local news gets wrong when they can't get basic details correct.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post

Makes me wonder how much local news gets wrong when they can't get basic details correct.
In my profession we deal with the media often. I like many of the folks I encounter, but journalists and their supporting staffs have never been close to being the the brilliant students headlining university campuses-despite that the media is left in charge by our Constitution to challenge society. This buffoonery is about par for the course.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post

I've pondered this for years. Several times when I've been intimately familiar with a story/situation or a person on the news and they misplaced something or spelled someone's name wrong, I just figure basically everything they report is not fully accurate.

As for local newscasts, their "hard hitting" way of reporting everything and saying everything in this intense manner is so incredibly off-putting and silly (like, who could possibly be more interested in a story because they're talking like that?). Not that I've watched local news in years (except when it comes on after another program ends and I can't change the TV fast enough).

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 4:42 PM
High Voltage

Sad fact is that the accuracy of the reporting is getting worse instead of better. I attribute much of that to the reporters being transplants from other areas of the country and don't know Phoenix, and Arizona well. Heck, even some of those that have been here for some amount of time still get it consistently wrong. Annoying. Get it right or don't bother. Sheesh /end rant

...but hey....I'll say this. Phoenix has the most beautiful weather reporters in the country...hands down

Last edited by TAZ4ate0; Feb 21, 2018 at 4:53 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 8:26 PM

Downtown Tempe is hoppin' right now with construction. Demo has started on the Westin lot:

And demo continues at Mirabella. It looks like they have canopies set up for a groundbreaking ceremony.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 9:04 PM
Modulator

You can really see it well on the Oxblue construction cam. LOTS of chairs under those canopies!

https://app.oxblue.com/open/EDR/tempe

This has got to be the best construction cam view anywhere. I hope they keep this cam up for a while.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 9:11 PM

Presentation on upstream dam bridge on town lake:

https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=61453

I think the two-span double arch concept would like really slick.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 9:32 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Presentation on upstream dam bridge on town lake:

https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=61453

I think the two-span double arch concept would like really slick.
About dam time!

I brought this up about a year or so ago and no one really knew about it IIRC. This is awesome news! I have always wanted a connecting bridge on the other side of the lake to make riding my bike around the lake much easier instead of crossing over on the bridge. Looking forward to this.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 2:09 AM

Park Place in Tempe Moving Forward

http://azbex.com/park-place-in-tempe-moving-forward/

to Westin and Mirabella moving dirt!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 4:02 AM

Very exciting times in Tempe! Too bad ASU was able to shoot down that college st tower a few years back.

Honestly I am so confused on The Pier. Mini tower crane for months and months assembled on site but no progress. Someone has to know what the hell is going on!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 4:21 AM

Also, highly disappointing is the fact that despite all of the development and booming economy, ASU can’t seem to break ground or land any grants for the athletic district.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 4:46 AM
High Voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
This is directly next door to me. Been waiting for news on this project. Here is hoping to them moving those trailers on the west side of Terrace soon. That area has become a den of crazy crap in the past months ever since Park Place was announced (goodbye, good riddance).

That is is the first time I have seen any rendering for Park Place, too. I've always figured there may be some type of skywalk connecting the buildings. This now confirms it if the plans remain unchanged.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 5:04 AM
High Voltage

In other news, the sushi bar/restaurant, next door to Press Coffee, at Nexa on Apache, will be opening in the near future.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Honestly I am so confused on The Pier. Mini tower crane for months and months assembled on site but no progress. Someone has to know what the hell is going on!
I saw a few workers at the site when I drove by on Monday.

I'm anxious because of that midget crane they teased us with + it could end up being the best looking building in Tempe:

https://azbex.com/changes-for-80m-tempe-mixed-use/

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
I saw a few workers at the site when I drove by on Monday.

I'm anxious because of that midget crane they teased us with + it could end up being the best looking building in Tempe:

https://azbex.com/changes-for-80m-tempe-mixed-use/
Something just doesn't pass the smell test for me. I image the cranes are very expensive, because nobody has them on site until they are absolutely necessary, then removes them as soon as they possibly can.

Why on earth would they be paying to keep that onsite for almost a year now for no reason? Something very weird is going on that is no public, IMO.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
You can really see it well on the Oxblue construction cam. LOTS of chairs under those canopies!

https://app.oxblue.com/open/EDR/tempe

This has got to be the best construction cam view anywhere. I hope they keep this cam up for a while.
Coverage of the groundbreaking yesterday.

https://asunow.asu.edu/20180221-ariz...abella-project

Quote:
...Mirabella at ASU is a 20-story senior living facility at Mill Avenue and University Drive on the university’s Tempe campus. The building, scheduled to be completed in 2020, will include 252 independent-living apartments and 52 health-care units, as well as an indoor pool, theater, art museum, spa, dog park and four restaurants.

The project will link the university community to the residents, who will be able to take classes, have access to the library and be near cultural and sports events...

Features of Mirabella at ASU include:

• More than 50 floor plans, some of which are spacious enough to accommodate a baby grand piano. Apartments vary from about 900 square feet to 2,700 square feet, with one or two bedrooms. Each has a balcony and a contemporary kitchen with quartz countertops.

• Concrete and steel construction with double walls between the apartments and acoustical matting under the floors to minimize sound transfer.

• Floor-to-ceiling windows that look out onto Camelback Mountain and Tempe Town Lake on the north side and the Superstition Mountains on the southeast.

• Environmentally friendly details, such as electric vehicle-charging stations, water-saving fixtures, photovoltaic panels and 50 percent construction waste reduction.

So far, more than 180 of the 252 apartment units have been sold, according to Paul Riepma, senior vice president of sales and marketing for Pacific Retirement Services, the Oregon-based company leading the development.

The project works like this: Residents pay a “buy-in” fee, ranging from $378,500 for a one-bedroom unit to $810,200 for a two-bedroom penthouse. When they die, 85 percent of that fee is refunded to their heirs. In addition, residents pay a monthly fee, ranging from $4,195 for a single person in a one-bedroom unit to $5,570 for a couple in a penthouse suite. That fee covers dining, housekeeping, utilities, shuttle service, activities and other amenities.

A few units are set aside for people who want to skip the refund plan, and those apartments range from about $297,500 to $499,000, with lower monthly fees...

Looks to be a very attractive building. Prices seem insanely expensive, but more power to them, doesn't seem like they're having any trouble "selling" them.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 5:57 PM

I've known about this project for a while but still can't pinpoint exactly where it is going lol this is going on the SWC of Myrtle/University right? And the lot with empty Chili's on it will be the proposed Omni and convention center space?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 6:04 PM

Wow along add in mirebella and the Westin cranes to the current crop of cranes already up... Tempe just continues to rise!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
I've known about this project for a while but still can't pinpoint exactly where it is going lol this is going on the SWC of Myrtle/University right? And the lot with empty Chili's on it will be the proposed Omni and convention center space?
Correct on both counts.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest