HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 3:46 PM

Canada's Wonderland is clearly built for day trippers. There are hardly any motels nearby.

I guess only Toronto and Montreal have the catchment area to support a Six Flags level amusement park. Playland at the PNE in Vancouver basically has county fair-level rides.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Thinking about this more, and in my experience going to Wonderland is far and away the number one reason I've heard people say "we're going to Toronto for this specific reason..." Talking about leisure travel only of course.

A distant second would be to attend a Blue Jays game.
I don't think I've ever heard of anyone here taking a trip to Toronto mainly for that purpose. But as others here have noted, once you consider value for money (air + hotel costs compared to "impressiveness" of the park) it's tough to justify Canada's Wonderland instead of just going to one of the Disney resorts. Different story coming from eastern parts where it's a driveable distance that you could do as a relatively inexpensive weekend hop.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I don't think I've ever heard of anyone here taking a trip to Toronto mainly for that purpose. But as others here have noted, once you consider value for money (air + hotel costs compared to "impressiveness" of the park) it's tough to justify Canada's Wonderland instead of just going to one of the Disney resorts. Different story coming from eastern parts where it's a driveable distance that you could do as a relatively inexpensive weekend hop.
In keeping to your point, the last time I was at Wonderland was years ago, and it was the main destination for that particular weekend's jaunt. Having said that, I went to visit my cousin who lived in Barrie at that time. Wonderland was his idea and the highlight. However, If I was visiting Toronto itself, Wonderland wouldn't of even been planned in.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 5:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
From where most of the population lives in Quebec, Wonderland is an easy weekend family getaway.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 6:03 PM

Wonderland seems fairly busy any time I go (every couple of years), not sure how much there is to be gained by any "branding" tie-in. It's no different than say Darien Lake, which I've also gone to a couple times.

It's a good park that has big roller coasters and serves a ton of people. Job done, no?

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 6:08 PM
video et taceo

It should be Canada-branded, with things like Sasquatch Mountain and the Yukon Mineshaft, North Pole Expedition, Windigo, inukshuks.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 6:15 PM
Edan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Canada's Wonderland is clearly built for day trippers. There are hardly any motels nearby.

I guess only Toronto and Montreal have the catchment area to support a Six Flags level amusement park. Playland at the PNE in Vancouver basically has county fair-level rides.
I've often thought of this in Alberta. We have two mediocre amusement parks (Galaxyland in Edmonton and Calaway Park in Calgary). I had always imagined a large six flags style amusement park somewhere east of Red Deer... Easily 3.5 million people in a 1-2 hours catchment, which would be perfect for day-trippers. Then, being east of Red Deer, would be within 5 hours of Saskatoon, for weekenders.

Anyways, wrong thread for this. Still think there would be a good business case for it.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 6:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
It should be Canada-branded, with things like Sasquatch Mountain and the Yukon Mineshaft, North Pole Expedition, Windigo, inukshuks.
With a Strange Brew thematic instead of Harry Potter.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 7:14 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
With a Strange Brew thematic instead of Harry Potter.
And their own version of fantasia/fantasyland where the Toronto Maple Leafs always win the Stanley Cup.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
The park kind of sucked when it was Paramount owned. There is no reason for it to become a 6 Flags. It's currently owned by Cedar Fair which operate 17 successful parks, one being Cedar Point. If anybody is a true coaster fan and can afford it they will make the pilgrimage to that park.

I'm not sure how 6 Flags markets better then Cedar Fair. The last commercial I can remember were with that creepy old bald guy on speed driving the bus.
Ah yes, this music...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWhbyOzmh7I

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
And their own version of fantasia/fantasyland where the Toronto Maple Leafs always win the Stanley Cup.
A merry-go-round filled with statues of various former Leafs players hoisting the Stanley Cup over their heads: Mats Sundin, Nik Antropov, Tomáš Kaberle, Alexei Ponikarovsky, Darcy Tucker, Vesa Toskala...

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 7:55 PM

Wonderland was a big part of my childhood. Lots of great memories growing up going to that park. If you lived anywhere within 2 hours of Toronto I guarantee your childhood would have been similar. I agree it seems better managed under Cedar Fair compared with Paramount back in the 90s. The roller coasters are intense now, some of the best in the world. Thrill seekers from around the world come to Wonderland now for a couple of the coasters (Leviathan, Yukon Striker).

When my cousins visit from Calgary there are always 2 things on their list.... beach/boating days and Wonderland.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 8:00 PM

If only Paramount got the rebranding back, it would actually make Wonderland even more fun if you go back to what things used to be

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
The Frontier Canada section is actually not far from that. Complete with a ride called Yukon Striker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
If only Paramount got the rebranding back, it would actually make Wonderland even more fun if you go back to what things used to be
The park is much better now than when Paramount owned it. All of the rides that Paramount built were mediocre at best. The best roller coasters in the park have been built under Cedar Fair. I couldn't care less about movie theming when the rides suck.

Wonderland doesn't need to be replaced with anything. It's the busiest seasonal park in North America, even busier than Cedar Point. Why fix something that isn't broken?

Quote:
But when it was Paramount owned, they were bringing in money year after year weren't they not
What makes you think they make any less money now?

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 9:36 PM

Quote:
You are in the minority with this thinking. Paramount did not invest much in the park. They would purchase lackluster off-the-shelf rides, tack some movie theming on it, and call it day. Cedar Fair has built world leading, record breaking attractions, custom made for Wonderland.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 9:45 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Slight diversion, but Marineland sucks, and treats its animals terribly.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 11:04 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Slight diversion, but Marineland sucks, and treats its animals terribly.
I can't tell you how much I hate that place...the horror stories from that place are just awful. And the nauseating commercial....

The management there is such a gongshow...

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
I can't tell you how much I hate that place...the horror stories from that place are just awful. And the nauseating commercial....

The management there is such a gongshow...
yup...went once in about 2005 when visiting the inlaws in Hamilton. I didn't want to go as I knew it was an awful place but I was told to not be a killjoy etc. I recall that the deer compound was particularly awful and our 4 year old son was quite upset about the care that seemed to be given to the deer there...Basically visitors were paying for 'food' to feed the deer when they should have been having a better diet. Deer are hardly exotic animals.

On the drive back to Hamilton with just immediate family in the car we all agreed we had gone for our one and only visit.

The commercial is annoying and up there with the 'I'll buy your gold' jewellery guy that advertises on Toronto TV stations.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 11:32 PM
Midtowner since 2K

I probably went there when I was young...but I don't recall it. I genuinely hope that place closes down one day.

Anyways, to stay on the topic of the thread, I love Canada's Wonderland. Pricey? Well, a bit...but I'd say it's worth it. I went a handful of times as a teen, and dozens of times in childhood...but only twice since then. The new subway extension to...6 km down the road is definitely helpful....I could probably get there (with walking to the park fom the subway....1 hour walking is better than a $4 fare from YRT) in 1 hr and 45 mins.
I haven't been on the new rides, but the Leviathan is such an incredible ride...as is the Behemoth. I love roller coasters so it's always fun to come by there, even just to walk around and enjoy the parks design is nice...there's some nice parts around.

I gotta say the subdivisions nearby definitely are a dogs breakfast....as is the hospital that just opened this year....the area around the park is a write off more or less, but what can one expect...
Replacing the park would be a mistake....the theme park is one of the best in the country by the sounds of it(I wouldn't know...I'm going off what I hear from this thread and thats pretty much it), but in general, it's a well run, entertaining and well located theme park.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 11:36 PM

isn't La Ronde owned by Six Flags?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada