HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
The ownership group has already expressed interest in bringing or creating an Austin NWSL team. I too champion that idea. As do my daughters.
They even saved room on the practice facility lot to make a parallel facility for a future Women's Team. It's definitely something they would like to do, however, I feel like I remember hearing some sort of hurdle that is making them kick this can down the road for a bit.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
They even saved room on the practice facility lot to make a parallel facility for a future Women's Team. It's definitely something they would like to do, however, I feel like I remember hearing some sort of hurdle that is making them kick this can down the road for a bit.
the league in all likelihood operates at a loss. current investors are betting it will become profitable in the future. I doubt covid was kind to it either. on the bright side i bet they could make it profitable in austin. but again it's the league that would scare investors away

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 2:24 PM
World Traveler

I think it's a fantastic idea. Los Angeles is getting one (Angel City FC) that, according to Wikipedia, is set to begin in 2022. That would make 11 teams as there are currently 10. A new one here would make 12, allowing for six in each conference.

Also, since I love to dream, here are some possible names:

ATX FC
FC Texas
FC Waterloo

I'm not a fan of names like "Dash" or anything like that...I like city or region names for soccer, personally. Others?

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I think it's a fantastic idea. Los Angeles is getting one (Angel City FC) that, according to Wikipedia, is set to begin in 2022. That would make 11 teams as there are currently 10. A new one here would make 12, allowing for six in each conference.

Also, since I love to dream, here are some possible names:

ATX FC
FC Texas
FC Waterloo

I'm not a fan of names like "Dash" or anything like that...I like city or region names for soccer, personally. Others?
Or just Austin FC. The club already exists with different teams at different skill levels so a women's side within the overall club makes sense

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 4:05 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury6 View Post
Or just Austin FC. The club already exists with different teams at different skill levels so a women's side within the overall club makes sense
I wouldn't be opposed to that, but I'm not aware of an NWSL team that shares a stadium with the MLS counterpart with the same name. Certainly wouldn't be a problem to be the first! Especially if it was owned by the same group and utilized the same stadium.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
Q2 stadium will host a doubleheader for the Gold Cup quarter final matches on July 25. There is a chance that we could get either a USMNT game or Mexico game. Either would be a huge opportunity to showcase the stadium.

Between this and the US Women's team christening the stadium with the first ever game, this place is going to be huge
Weird, but the original announcement seems to have been updated. Q2 will now get a semifinal game on Thursday, July 29. The other semi will be held at NRG stadium in Houston.

https://www.concacaf.com/gold-cup/ar...2021-gold-cup/

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 4:49 PM

OK. Completely backtracking and eating my own words here:

I am all in for most of the warehouses around Q2 to be redeveloped. Having lived in the general area now for a year, it's a total pain in the ass to simply rely on Domain for coffee/shopping/entertainment. While Chinatown has alllll the dining one could need, Parmer/Lamar is kind of a total desert.

Has there been any chatter about sparking this up as of late? Taking my own selfish creature comforts out of the equation....it still seems like the next blank canvas for new business/resi.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 5:03 PM

I wonder if new industrial warehouse development in Pflugerville and out near 130 will be the thing that moves some of the businesses out of the Braker/Metric area. Maybe there will be rent increases causing "warehouse gentrification"

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 6:39 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_jeremy View Post
I wonder if new industrial warehouse development in Pflugerville and out near 130 will be the thing that moves some of the businesses out of the Braker/Metric area. Maybe there will be rent increases causing "warehouse gentrification"
I've wondered about this myself. I've also read about significant distribution centers, manufacturing, and other light industrial use facilities being built around 130/35 and 195/35 which could add to the region...

Edit: "to be built" rather than "being built"....

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 7:31 PM

Yeah I can see all those Warehouses going away. From Techridge down Parmer and Howard towards and pass SH-130 they can go to all the new warehouse and office development that way. If the Soccer teams becomes really a huge success in Austin sooner rather than later. If not then it will not happen until Broadmore gets fully developed.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 9:50 PM
Member since 2001

As of this moment - 100% capacity. My tickets are being uploaded on Monday.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 9:55 PM

Mine as well!! Assuming full capacity

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 1:52 PM

Quote:
As of this moment - 100% capacity. My tickets are being uploaded on Monday.
That might still mean that all ~15.5k season ticket holders will get their seats and they simply won't open up the other ~5k available tickets that would normally be reserved for single game sales. That would be a bit over 75% capacity, which is way more than MLS has been doing in other areas. I wouldn't be surprised to see the entire stadium opened up, however.

FC Dallas is opening up to their full capacity in mid-June. However that's easy for them to announce, because they only ever get to 70% full even in a good year.

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 4:10 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
That might still mean that all ~15.5k season ticket holders will get their seats and they simply won't open up the other ~5k available tickets that would normally be reserved for single game sales. That would be a bit over 75% capacity, which is way more than MLS has been doing in other areas. I wouldn't be surprised to see the entire stadium opened up, however.

FC Dallas is opening up to their full capacity in mid-June. However that's easy for them to announce, because they only ever get to 70% full even in a good year.
I think it'll be full capacity. Our local covid rates are about to be under 40 new cases a day in Travis County and our vaccination rate is going to be 70% with at least one shot by then.

Their covid restrictions are pretty weird however.

They aren't requiring masks (or even suggesting it so far) but are requiring weird self-quarantining if you have contact with someone with Covid and "requiring" that any tickets you sell are done to a single group.

Like, I take covid real seriously, but considering I am sitting next to people I dont know why does it matter if I bring a mixed group of people in my own group of tickets?

I only have 2 seats so its really doesn't matter, I just find it a really odd rule.

"You better know everyone you come with, now be surrounded by strangers"

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 7:31 PM

little OT but this bodes well for a future nwsl team. still a very long road though
https://www.espn.com/soccer/houston-...-segal-sources

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 2:21 PM

I went by yesterday and the area that used to house construction trailers has been sodded and the whole area just looks great. They also opened the new road from Burnet that dead ends right into the stadium. I'm sure the old rail ROW that dead ends into a tree is going to confuse a lot of people though.

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 3:19 PM

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 3:24 PM
Resident Moron

If you want to go to the women's game I would join the Austin chapter of the American Outlaws real quick

I think they'll have presales through them.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 11:01 PM
Member since 2001

Re: USWNT v Nigeria...Ticket sales was opened to current season ticket holders this morning. By 3 p.m. the stadium is pretty much sold out.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Re: USWNT v Nigeria...Ticket sales was opened to current season ticket holders this morning. By 3 p.m. the stadium is pretty much sold out.
Yeah, and at $320 a pop? Or did season ticket holders get a better deal? (I'm Oak Collective). All of the very limited number of $65 tickets were gone as soon as I clicked on them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin