HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 5:44 AM

Yay, I'm in!

It took a bit to get here, but after a week i'm finally in.

I'm interested in autocad modelling and converting those models to sketchup,

and Arcologies.

Also very interested in collaborating together with others to paint up and render models.

?

Anyhow... give me a bit o time and i will post some images and whatnots.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 11:03 AM
Closed account

Awsome I can't wait!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 12:23 PM

idea...lets make this the Skyscraper City Movers Welcome thread

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 12:28 PM
Closed account

haha. I came here before I went to SSC. Welcome SSC!
It's pretty slow right now, but it'll speed upp in september and October....

Why don't I just make I or you make a new thread that says who is from SSC and whatnot....

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 1:36 PM

welcome prometheus and yingblanc! hope your sketchuping will be like a defibrillator on this sub-forum!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 3:35 PM

how do you post pics from sketchup? i have no clue as to how to save a pic on it.(srry for posting this here,i know its not the right place for this)

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 3:41 PM

go to file - export - 2d graphic

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 4:04 PM
Closed account

After that, just follow Dylan Leb. process of putting the photos onto the forum,.....

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
go to file - export - 2d graphic
Either that or just hit the Print Screen button on your keyboard, go into your paint/photo editing program, and paste it (Ctrl+V). I do that sometimes on my bigger projects when exporting even a 2D Graphic is laborious.

Anyway, welcome to the board, Promethuspan!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 8:25 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

welcome! i hope you like SSP!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoward88 View Post
Either that or just hit the Print Screen button on your keyboard, go into your paint/photo editing program, and paste it (Ctrl+V). I do that sometimes on my bigger projects when exporting even a 2D Graphic is laborious.

Anyway, welcome to the board, Promethuspan!
yes, but then you get your toolbar, taskbar, and all the rest that is on your screen.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
yes, but then you get your toolbar, taskbar, and all the rest that is on your screen.
True, but you can always crop those out. In my case I work at a 2048x1536 screen resolution (I've got an awesome IBM P275 CRT ), so that leaves more room for play.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 10:03 PM

Welcome aswell.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 11:31 PM

thanks for the welcome.

I think that i can in fact shock this system back to life.

I have a couple of radical ideas to do that.

The first is, taking it to new levels of realism and depth.

I'm amazed and humbled by some of the skills i see around here. I still haven't myself worked out how to get kerkythea to import sketchup files.

And cladding just sort of blows my mind as opposed to merely painting.

However, the thing that I do notice is that this is like Skyscraper design like when i was 12 and 14 and playing with legos. Building it to look at.

Theres nothing wrong with that per sey, but the way to take it to the next level is to start really thinking things through on a new level.

What does the world really need for new buildings in the modern era?
How can we spot those needs and make this board popular and expansive by meeting those needs?

A few challenges to consider for game changers.

1. Vertical Hydroponics Tower.
2. Permaculture Tower
3. Inverted and upside down skyscrapers- ground scrapers. 100- 200 stories-
straight down.
4. Modern Geothermal power stations. (at the bottom of those ground scrapers.)
5. Space elevator towers- Yes, I mean 100 mile tall towers.
6. Floating Towers.
7. Deep Sea Arcologies
8. Skysrapers designed for the inside of a rotational space habitat.
So you could in theory go from ground level straight up and meet ground level
at the other end.
9. Rotational space habitats.

My point is that we can take this to a whole new level of design which incorporates the question of providing a service to humanity.

If we do that, lots of people are going to get involved.

You may not realize this but collaborative and open source architecture is a totally new thing and the wave of the future. You have been playing at it here, right on the forefront of the cusp of the wave of evolutionary potential-
You are as is cutting edge forward into the realm of collaborative architecture.

Take it one step further and realize that there is a market out there for that kind of thing.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
The Rotate tool can also be used to create radial arrays, or a series of copies around a rotate point. To create a radial array.

Select the Rotate tool (). The cursor will change to a protractor with a circular arrow.
Click on the entity to rotate.
Press and release the Ctrl (Microsoft Windows) or Option (Mac OS X) key on your keyboard. The cursor will change to a protractor with a plus sign. This action informs Sketchup that you want to duplicate the entity.
Move the cursor in a circle until it is at the starting point of the rotation.
Click to set the starting point of the rotation. Use the inference tool tips to help you to find the center of the rotation.
Move the cursor until it as at the ending point of the rotation. A copy of the entity appears and is rotated about the starting point. If the 'Enable angle snapping' checkbox is checked in the Units Panel of the Model Info dialog box, movements close to the protractor result in angle snaps, while those further away from the protractor allow free rotation.
Click to complete the rotation.
Type a multiplier value to create additional multiple copies. For example, typing in 2x (or *2) will create one additional copy (or 2 copies total, the one you manually copied plus one you automatically copied using this step) instead of just one.

Creating multiple copies (linear arrays)
The Move tool can also be used to create arrays, or a series of copies of geometry. To create multiple copies of one or more entities:

Select the Select tool (). The cursor will change to an arrow.
Select the entities to be copied.
Select the Move tool (). The cursor will change to a four-way arrow.
Press and release the Ctrl (Microsoft Windows) or Option (Mac OS X) key on your keyboard. The cursor will change to an arrow with a plus sign. This action informs SketchUp that you want to duplicate the selected entities.
Click on the selected entities to copy.
Move your mouse to copy the entities. A copy of the selected entities will follow as you move your mouse.
Click at the destination point to finish your copy operation. The copied entities are now selected and the original entities are deselected.
Type a multiplier value to create additional multiple copies. For example, typing in 2x (or *2) will create one additional copy (or 2 copies total, the one you manually copied plus one you automatically copied using this step) instead of just one.
Creating Copies at an Equal Distance Apart

You can divide the distance between the copy and the original by typing in a divisor value. For example, typing 5/ (or /5) will create five copies evenly distributed between the original and the first copy. You can keep typing in distances and multipliers until you perform another operation.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...7f3b20d3&hl=en

http://sketchup.google.com/support/b...n&answer=94867

http://sketchup.google.com/support/b...n&answer=94896

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
how do you post pics from sketchup? i have no clue as to how to save a pic on it.(srry for posting this here,i know its not the right place for this)
welcome !

this is the right place for this.

I personally use print screen and then open to paint. This allows me to crop the image which I usually do anyways.

printscreen is a button usually found right above the back space button, right next to f12, (right next to scroll lock)

its at the top of the keyboard. The first time somebody told me about it i was like "eh? sure. Okay!" and then i spent a week feeling like an idiot because i didn't really understand because i couldn't find the key.

So you find yourself inside the program, you hit printscreen, and then you go to paint, and then you hit the "edit"scroll button. Scroll down and then "paste."

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheuspan View Post
The master plan for my current project includes Vertical Hydroponics Towers. Of course, I am not an architect and am just doing what I do because it is a fun hobby, so they won't be designed on the micro-level. I will be coming up with a few different designs for urban agricultural complexs, which I will of course share here at some point.

I personally think that urban agriculture could be the greatest breakthrough of the post-modern era if it takes root. Imagine 90% of U.S. farmland converted back to natural wilderness as the footprint of industrial agriculture shrinks. Instead of trucking produce into cities, we would be trucking produce out of cities. It would be a total game changer.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 11:52 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
haha no problem just next time post your question in the google sketchup comments/question sticky thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheuspan View Post
thanks for the welcome.

I think that i can in fact shock this system back to life.

I have a couple of radical ideas to do that.

The first is, taking it to new levels of realism and depth.

I'm amazed and humbled by some of the skills i see around here. I still haven't myself worked out how to get kerkythea to import sketchup files.

And cladding just sort of blows my mind as opposed to merely painting.

However, the thing that I do notice is that this is like Skyscraper design like when i was 12 and 14 and playing with legos. Building it to look at.

Theres nothing wrong with that per sey, but the way to take it to the next level is to start really thinking things through on a new level.

What does the world really need for new buildings in the modern era?
How can we spot those needs and make this board popular and expansive by meeting those needs?

A few challenges to consider for game changers.

2. Permaculture Tower
3. Inverted and upside down skyscrapers- ground scrapers. 100- 200 stories-
straight down.
4. Modern Geothermal power stations. (at the bottom of those ground scrapers.)
5. Space elevator towers- Yes, I mean 100 mile tall towers.
6. Floating Towers.
7. Deep Sea Arcologies
8. Skysrapers designed for the inside of a rotational space habitat.
So you could in theory go from ground level straight up and meet ground level
at the other end.
9. Rotational space habitats.

My point is that we can take this to a whole new level of design which incorporates the question of providing a service to humanity.

If we do that, lots of people are going to get involved.

You may not realize this but collaborative and open source architecture is a totally new thing and the wave of the future. You have been playing at it here, right on the forefront of the cusp of the wave of evolutionary potential-
You are as is cutting edge forward into the realm of collaborative architecture.

Take it one step further and realize that there is a market out there for that kind of thing.
Ok I might just be taking this the wrong way but are you talknig about building a city with those stuff(Howich,Verticity,Midland City, World Capital Project) Or are you talking about indiv. buildings projects?
Well I do like the idea's.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 12:08 PM

Welcome! Good to have people with insight and passion here.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoward88 View Post
The master plan for my current project includes Vertical Hydroponics Towers. Of course, I am not an architect and am just doing what I do because it is a fun hobby, so they won't be designed on the micro-level. I will be coming up with a few different designs for urban agricultural complexs, which I will of course share here at some point.

I personally think that urban agriculture could be the greatest breakthrough of the post-modern era if it takes root. Imagine 90% of U.S. farmland converted back to natural wilderness as the footprint of industrial agriculture shrinks. Instead of trucking produce into cities, we would be trucking produce out of cities. It would be a total game changer.
I agree and thats my point. We keep designing these sky scrapers for people to live or work in. A story becomes something different when it needs to be tree tall, and window and porch space become something different when you have plants to put out for sun and etc.

20 or 40 foot stories and much thicker porch space, with a lot more structure strength to hold dirt and water and etc.

we could do them 100 stories tall and feed whole neighboorhoods with them.

Imagine restaurants that grow all the food on site.

The main thing stopping it from happening is its not been explored enough as design. That starts here.
Quote:
Ok I might just be taking this the wrong way but are you talknig about building a city with those stuff(Howich,Verticity,Midland City, World Capital Project) Or are you talking about indiv. buildings projects?
Well I do like the idea's.
I think its time for us to begin a new whole city, as a whole board, where each of us works on say a 3 mile in diameter installation which is intended to be not just a sky scraper but a whole self sufficient community, that this project should involve every one and loosely entail collaboration between all of us to codesign and improve upon ideas in all of our areas.

Checking around there have been a few cities hereabout that have been designed and also on the skyscraper city forum they have designed whole cities.

Lets do the same thing; BUT, game changer; lets impress the world into joining us here by taking the game seriously enough to produce things which really scream 22nd century.

Lets have thousands of people in here in three months because we took it to those whole new levels.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup