HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 3:48 PM

I like the gist of the design. Nice height, will work well into the Chicago skyline and has the potential to be a stunner once built. Gets my thumbs up.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 4:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
Finally, someone else sees a few of the most basic flaws in the design...
i'm sorry but have some confusion...what east wall is being discussed here? I just haven't seen a rendering from that side except the sick "neck breaker" view...where's this fatal flaw?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
Finally, someone else sees a few of the most basic flaws in the design...
Man, you really have your knives out for Jeanne Gang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
i'm sorry but have some confusion...what east wall is being discussed here? I just haven't seen a rendering from that side except the sick "neck breaker" view...where's this fatal flaw?
Yeah, I was going to ask the same thing.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 6:37 PM

Yeah, there literally is no East wall for this building, it directly abuts the Regatta or whatever that building is called. Also, we haven't seen any clear views at all of the base, seems kinda absurd to make claims about something we haven't even seen to me. Also, even if the entire section of the first floor along Wacker East of the lobby was solid concrete that wouldn't bother me in the least. That stub of Wacker is never going to be pedestrian friendly nor will it ever lead to anywhere so I'm not sure why we are mad at Gang for supposedly neglecting the side of this building that like 5 people a month will actually interact with. That's like complaining that Aqua neglects the Lower Columbus exposure...

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
The eastern edge of the property, along upper Columbus, where it abuts that other building. It's not horrible, not fatal. I just hate blank walls and don't understand why anyone would fail to cover one up when they have the chance.
There should be fewer seams in the urban fabric.

What I really want to see now is how it interacts with the LSE park.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
The eastern edge of the property, along upper Columbus, where it abuts that other building. It's not horrible, not fatal. I just hate blank walls and don't understand why anyone would fail to cover one up when they have the chance.
There should be fewer seams in the urban fabric.

What I really want to see now is how it interacts with the LSE park.
Again, I have absolutely no idea where you are getting that from. How are you seeing the detail of this part of the building? I have yet to see a single image that depicts it from any closer than 5 blocks away. From what I can tell from the main image, the first floor appears to be the same glass as the rest of the building, not a blank wall... Further to that point, why would Gang just suddenly use concrete or some other opaque material on the ground floor when literally every other square inch of the building is glass? Let's wait until we see an actual image of the first floor before we start deciding what it looks like from an overview image depicting the building from blocks away.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 7:10 PM

Could you please refer us to a rendering? Because I'm equally perplexed.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 7:17 PM

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#sectio.../p2p-82351957/

Kamin: Jeanne Gang's Wanda Tower design needs work

Blair Kamin
CITYSCAPES
Recent Columns

7:56 pm, December 19, 2014
Quote:
When Mayor Rahm Emanuel last week pronounced the proposed Wanda Vista tower by architect Jeanne Gang “a great building,” he didn’t just misjudge a promising but problematic preliminary design for what would be one of Chicago’s tallest skyscrapers — he gave away the store.

The planned 88-story, $900 million hotel, condominium and retail tower, which is backed by China-based Wanda Group and still requires city approval, is the biggest and most ambitious thing going in a high-rise building boom that’s mostly been a snooze.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 7:19 PM

^^^ Haven't finished reading it yet, but here's a rendering from the article clearly showing NO blank walls at the base:

tribimg.com

Unless of course blank walls have started glowing and being transparent.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Again, I have absolutely no idea where you are getting that from. How are you seeing the detail of this part of the building? I have yet to see a single image that depicts it from any closer than 5 blocks away. From what I can tell from the main image, the first floor appears to be the same glass as the rest of the building, not a blank wall... Further to that point, why would Gang just suddenly use concrete or some other opaque material on the ground floor when literally every other square inch of the building is glass? Let's wait until we see an actual image of the first floor before we start deciding what it looks like from an overview image depicting the building from blocks away.
I think they're talking about Regatta's blank wall and why Gang didn't design her tower to cover it up?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 7:22 PM

In terms of the blank wall that aaron and others are referring to is the west wall of The Regatta and how the eastern edge of Wanda meets up with it, leaving a windowless and blank face.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 8:47 PM

From Kamin's piece:
But as rendered, the tower looks leaden and crudely detailed, as though giant boxes had been piled atop one another, then squashed from above. There’s none of the lyrical fluidity of Aqua’s balconies. A tower this big and prominent must rise to a higher aesthetic level, as Trump’s eventually did after a woeful preliminary design.

Still, there’s hope: One rendering of the project, visible online but not released by the city, shows a compelling close-up view: Three, crisply detailed towers with gracefully curving surfaces instead of stolid, folded planes. They suggest three sisters of different ages, standing side by side. The interior views are also enticing, promising big spaces, tilting columns and striking views of the river and nearby park.
Is he referring to the below rendering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
IMO, Kamin's review is not his finest work. After his shameful aversion to the Lucas Museum, I'm growing a bit weary of his criticism. What, exactly, are his issues with the design? It seems like he devotes the majority of his review to the lack of emphasis on a connection between Wacker and Lakeshore East. To be fair, I, too, share his concern about just how compartmentalized and isolated the park is, and I agree that the dearth of renderings is surprising and disappointing. But that doesn't necessarily mean the design "needs work"; it means we need more information. And let's acknowledge some of the parameters: how many of us believe Magellan truly wants LSE to be easily accessible? My understanding is that the suburban nature of the site plan is intentional. Not that the city shouldn't push for something more integrated. It for sure should, and if the current design really does represent a missed opportunity (again, hard to tell based on what we have seen so far), then, yes, it would be smart for Rahm to leverage his influence over zoning to extract some concessions. Let's dispense, though, with the idea that this is a feature Studio Gang has much control over.

Moving from hypotheticals to the images he does have, he just confuses me. If the online rendering he mentions is indeed the one posted by Via Chicago, then I simply don't understand how he fails to recognize it as the same design. And what are these "graceful curves" he's referring to? Speaking of which, his insistence on fluidity and aversion to blockiness leads me to believe he isn't speaking metaphorically and would prefer a design that's literally rounder. I don't disagree that there's a frustrating sketchiness to the main rendering, but reverting to the organic language of Aqua's balconies is not the solution. (I can't help but feel he's suggesting as much with that reference to Mies.)

Lastly: Wanda's neighbors are "bland"? To the east, for sure, but did he forget about Coast, Swissotel, and the soon-to-be-constructed GEMS upper school? I certainly hope so, because that's otherwise a serious lapse in taste.

Tsk, tsk, Blair.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
yeah that silver grey rendering makes it look very steely and sophisticated. i dig.

REALLY hope this is the direction they take it, as opposed to a deeply saturated blue which i think is really played out

http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs...er%20Close.jpg

still feels too "blocky" to me though. the main tower is nice and slender but thats all kinda undercut by the fat midsection of the other two neighbors
This is pretty nice IMO - could be a bit more rounded by far from bad.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 9:21 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Looks like it may of had some Beekman influence. That rendering really puts into perspective how complex the design is. This is growing on me more and more.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 9:39 PM
TL;DR

Also interested to see how this looks like from the south where Field Blvd passes through. Not many buildings in the city that are directly aligned with a roadway.

I'd expect Studio Gang to do some nifty little details over there, even in a service area - like the metal screens concealing garage vents at the Aqua public stairs.

Overall, though, at this conceptual level, I think I prefer the previous Arquitectonica proposal from before the recession. Both are riffs on classic Chicago modernism but the older plan was more contextual - it acknowledged the long tradition of boxes while doing something fresh, and it responded to the MAJOR axis of LSD far better than this one does.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 11:36 PM

It seems to me Gang is attempting to cleverly open up some eastern views by jogging two of the columns back a bit from the taller one next to it. You can see in the interior river facing render that this opens up views to the lake and navy pier. This approach works quite well in unifying how the three columns relate as a whole but it seems to me this does present new challenges at the street.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 12:03 AM

I wonder what the story was on the mirror flipping of the design. I'm not an architect but it seems like that wouldn't be as easy to pull off from an engineering perspective as it was to do in the rendering software. Whatever incited that decision must have been important.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 12:04 AM

i suspect that this design is far from final as the project is not yet even on studio gang's website http://studiogang.net/work/category/towers

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_brew View Post
i suspect that this design is far from final as the project is not yet even on studio gang's website http://studiogang.net/work/category/towers
I suspect that this design is far from final as long as your definition of "far from final" is that detailed plans have not yet been sent for city approval - the mayor is banking a lot on this hotel (as is the Wanda brand) and renderings would not have been released to the public if it is not rather close to the final product, at least in massing and other general design elements. Might the exact type of glass not be left undecided? Sure. But will this design change drastically? Absolutely not.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 1:22 AM

no argument on your point as you evidently know what i do not. but the website lists all their projects, even conceptual drawings, and no mention of this to date?
and gang stayed quiet on this one up to last week, and still said nada.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture