HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
The applicant on the documents is David Horwood which means this is an Effort Trust project.
Interesting. Aside from their current Hughson project, when's the last time Effort Trust built anything?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 4:48 PM

From urbancity.com 09 December 2020

Quote:
Overall, Hamilton’s commercial real estate market for the third quarter witnessed over $322 million transact — one of the largest quarterly volumes we’ve seen in the last several years.

The largest transaction this past quarter was by InterRent REIT’s acquisition of three multi-residential towers: 600 John Street North, 35 Brock Street and 100 Main Street East (Landmark Place) for $27 million, $33 million and $76 million respectively. 600 John Street North and 35 Brock Street are located near Pier 8, and 100 Main Street East is kitty corner to the upcoming Royal Connaught developments so overall, all three assets are located in what’s presumed to be high growth areas of Hamilton.

Another notable acquisition this past quarter was 1842 King Street East, better known as Brock University’s Hamilton campus, for $11,250,000 by builder New Horizon Development Group. Given the history of the purchaser and the price point of $1.6 million per acre, it fits to be a future low rise residential development.
https://urbanicity.com/hamilton/real...dha12CBePafONk

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 5:14 PM

Despite all else, 2020 was a pretty encouraging year for tall building development in Hamilton. These are the tall buildings (7 towers across 5 projects) I think have a good chance of breaking ground in 2021:

235 Main W
TV City
925 Main W/ 150 Longwood S
282 Macnab
Harbour Condos by Bay
Mac grad student residence on King W

We should see the completion of Vista, 154 Main E, and the hotel portion of 354 King W. Platinum and KiWi should reach full height but not occupancy in 2021. Aside from all these, there's about 20 other 20+ storey proposals, some more realistic than others, that could break ground beyond 2021. Exciting times!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 10:30 PM
Hamilton Historian

We'll have a fully restored downtown and noone to populate it lol..

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
We'll have a fully restored downtown and noone to populate it lol..
Why do you say that? Hamilton's real estate market is still booming and increasing in costs.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 1:22 AM

I think we are all in for a surprise when the 2021 census is done ... I have a hunch that the projected growth (especially for downtown Hamilton) is conservative and the numbers of people moving back to the city or moving here for the first time are much higher than expected.... I have been back in Hamilton for almost 5 years now and the change in have seen in that short amount of time is mind blowing !

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 1:26 AM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
I think we are all in for a surprise when the 2021 census is done ... I have a hunch that the projected growth (especially for downtown Hamilton) is conservative and the numbers of people moving back to the city or moving here for the first time are much higher than expected.... I have been back in Hamilton for almost 5 years now and the change in have seen in that short amount of time is mind blowing !
Same. Every time I'm downtown I'm seeing streets that were virtually deserted a few years ago suddenly alive with people walking, cycling, etc. With the amount of parking lots downtown, I'm sure these are local residents and not just people stopping in for some shopping or services.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Same. Every time I'm downtown I'm seeing streets that were virtually deserted a few years ago suddenly alive with people walking, cycling, etc. With the amount of parking lots downtown, I'm sure these are local residents and not just people stopping in for some shopping or services.
Absolutely.... And the amount of pedestrian and car traffic seems to have exploded over the last couple of years ... As someone who has returned to Hamilton after many years away I seem to be having conversations with other implants all the time !

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 10:15 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Why do you say that? Hamilton's real estate market is still booming and increasing in costs.
Because even when this settles down, there will be people who have realized they don't actually need to work in an office - and corporations who realize they dont have to stick people IN offices to get work done, if they can work from home.

The fact so many people are successfully working from home is going to change office tower dynamics everywhere.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Because even when this settles down, there will be people who have realized they don't actually need to work in an office - and corporations who realize they dont have to stick people IN offices to get work done, if they can work from home.

The fact so many people are successfully working from home is going to change office tower dynamics everywhere.
I don't think it will. I would bet 70%+ return to the office. Not only for onboarding purposes, but because many people I know do not like working from home.

Perhaps people will get to work from home more often, and flexibility will exist, but my partner can attest to onboarding being really crappy, and WFH for 2 years straight now sucks with the downstairs neighbour playing music and the next door neighbour smoking poppers and hacking a lung. She also gets lonely and bored sitting at home.

I love going into the office so much, I turned down WFH and many co-workers that previously worked from home are wanting to return, but our office has a max population limit right now.

I would bet things go a lot more back to normal after this than you think.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:

The general consensus of those in the industry is that people will probably be given more flexibility to work from home but will generally still be expected to come into the office for most roles.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 8:26 PM
Ham-burgher

This would probably get its own thread once a proposal is together. 430 Cannon E is the old Hamilton Cab site... these blocks of Cannon need some love, especially the stretch between Wentworth and Wellington.

Hamilton Urban Core receives $15.4M to grow into future health centre

https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...th-centre.html

By Teviah Moro
The Hamilton Spectator
Sun., Dec. 13, 2020

A longtime community health hub in downtown Hamilton is receiving $15.4 million toward its plan to move to a larger new location.

The Ontario government announced the funding for Hamilton Urban Core Community Health Centre on Friday.

For years, it was executive director Denise Brooks’s “vision” to move the health centre into a purpose-built location, says agency board chair Jane Mulkewich. But Brooks died suddenly at the age of 64 in August.

“This has been at least a decade coming, and we’re finally getting closer to that vision,” Mulkewich said Friday.

The inner-city health centre has been a fixture at a former bus station on Rebecca Street for about 25 years.

That old station, which has been in “bad need of repair,” was never well-suited for a health centre, Mulkewich said.

The agency plans to build a two-storey building at 430 Cannon St. E., a property near Wentworth Street North it purchased for $1.3 million.

Mulkewich said the $15.4 million is meant to cover the hiring of a consultant to see the plan through, architectural design and construction, which she expects will start in February 2021. A move-in date is likely two years away, she noted.

full story here

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 8:40 PM

I actually passed by 430 Cannon and was curious why the building had been demolished.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 8:41 PM

Exciting stuff! The Taxi building's been gone since the summertime, so this is already well on it's way

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 6:59 PM
It's Hammer Time

I just wanted to comment that I haven't been very active and if there's any issues, please don't hesitate to private message me.

Since COVID19 I've been swamped and I've been doing overtime like crazy. I'm part of the COVID research at McMaster. So I'm exhausted and worn out.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I just wanted to comment that I haven't begen very active and if there's any issues, please don't hesitate to private message me.

Since COVID19 I've been swamped and I've been doing overtime like crazy. I'm part of the COVID research at McMaster. So I'm exhausted and worn out.
I’d personally like to thank you for all your efforts. It’s taken a lot of effort from a lot of people doing their part to fight this pandemic. Your effort does not go unnoticed. Thank you and take care.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 12:23 AM

Quote:
I just wanted to comment that I haven't been very active and if there's any issues, please don't hesitate to private message me.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 4:41 AM

Quote:

No comments from me other than I appreciate your style of moderation. Too heavy handed moderation then this forum ends up like Reddit so thanks for allowing free discussion that sometimes veers off topic.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 4:21 PM
It's a nickname from work

Quote:

Well, I don't know how many hollow congratulations you've gotten this year, but I think it's apt to say we're all appreciative of your efforts, please don't feel extra stressed to check in here. Do take care.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 10:12 PM
It's Hammer Time

Thanks! We're not working on a vaccine or anything; that's up to the big pharmaceutical companies. Our work is primarily focused on COVID immunity in long-term facilities. Got thousands of blood samples to process.

I won't get into details, but this is a perfect example of not keeping your eyes on the ball. Instead, we're trying to find solutions elsewhere; we should step back and figure out why there seems to be an issue in minimizing outbreaks of COVID, MERS, C Diff, etc. Pay custodian staff decent wages and benefits. Start respecting them instead of thinking of it as a low-level job. Stop and reverse the privatization of custodian workers to Sodexo and bring back positions that used to be called "Environmental Aides."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton