HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 12:44 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton23 View Post
This article is really well done! It's cool to see a bunch of the projects in development or near completion, being put into one article.

You can call me a homer for saying this but... how does the RC not get featured? There's a mention at the bottom of the article regarding the development and that's it. Considering it has had featured articles in the Globe, National Post, Spec, ETC, it's pretty suspect as to why it's not mentioned. Not to mention... the development has won National Awards from the Canadian Home Builders Association...

The Connaught has arguably anchored the revitalization of the downtown core and it's the only luxury condo building that has actually been fully built and occupied.

Surprised 101 Locke wasn't mentioned either. Was in development for years and is finally under construction, won a provincial award for project of the year (low rise), beating the likes of Tridel and others in the process... If i'm speaking from an unbiased standpoint, the fact that neither of these projects is mentioned is suspect.

All good though. Journalism is subjective.
it might be because it's being renovated, not actually rebuilt.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
it might be because it's being renovated, not actually rebuilt.
The entire interior was rebuilt minus the lobby which was extensively renovated.

I probably missed the part of the article where the writer mentions new builds would only be discussed. If that's the case, my bad!

I think it was a great article nonetheless though.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 1:01 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
The entire interior was rebuilt minus the lobby which was extensively renovated.

I probably missed the part of the article where the writer mentions new builds would only be discussed. If that's the case, my bad!

I think it was a great article nonetheless though.
I would have to agree

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Surprised 101 Locke wasn't mentioned either. Was in development for years and is finally under construction, won a provincial award for project of the year (low rise), beating the likes of Tridel and others in the process... If i'm speaking from an unbiased standpoint, the fact that neither of these projects is mentioned is suspect.
The title of this article states that this entry focuses on high rises only. Why would 101 Locke be included when it isn't a high rise?

Quote:
The Connaught has arguably anchored the revitalization of the downtown core and it's the only luxury condo building that has actually been fully built and occupied.
That is debatable.

I would guess it wasn't included because the author doesn't want to get into any legal issues. In case you didn't notice, the language towards some of the designs in the article isn't exactly complementary. Its good to know you won't be sent a legal notice for publishing what might be viewed as a criticism.

The purpose of this article isn't to sell units in any of these buildings, so stuff like the awards are kind of irrelevant, you know what I mean? Stuff like that really only matters to builders.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
The title of this article states that this entry focuses on high rises only. Why would 101 Locke be included when it isn't a high rise?

That is debatable.

I would guess it wasn't included because the author doesn't want to get into any legal issues. In case you didn't notice, the language towards some of the designs in the article isn't exactly complementary. Its good to know you won't be sent a legal notice for publishing what might be viewed as a criticism.

The purpose of this article isn't to sell units in any of these buildings, so stuff like the awards are kind of irrelevant, you know what I mean? Stuff like that really only matters to builders.
It's not debatable though. The Connaught was the first high profile luxury condo in Downtown Hamilton. It created the competitive market we're about to enter.

I'm confused? Are you referencing the legal notice I sent you for harassing and threatening assault on innocent staff at the RC, David? Or the video footage from the security cameras that we posses? Please be clear.

I've never had a problem with criticism if it's in good taste and if there are valid points behind it. There's a fine line and difference between criticism and slander.

What I have a problem with is when someone goes out of their way to criticize a design, not knowing the reasoning behind the design or not understanding the complexities of architecture.

Last edited by hamilton23; Oct 13, 2017 at 2:18 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 1:55 PM

The article clearly profiles new builds only. If Hamilton23 and other developers are upset by this, at the end of the piece there is a comment section for your use.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
The article clearly profiles new builds only. If Hamilton23 and other developers are upset by this, at the end of the piece there is a comment section for your use.
Not upset, as I mentioned in my initial post. I was actually complimentary of the article itself.

I was informed it was strictly new builds after I read it. I missed that part, which is my bad.

Last edited by hamilton23; Oct 13, 2017 at 2:12 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 2:26 PM

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/7...national-rate/

The one sector showing signs of stagnation was the median price of condominiums in Hamilton, which rose by just 4 per cent to $318,000. Ferrante attributes the weak growth to an excess of condo units on the market

Wonder how this plays out with still a lot more condo projects in the works. I've been tracking condo flippers on realtor.ca and the units aren't moving and are having to be substantially reduced from initial asking price.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
https://www.thespec.com/news-story/7...national-rate/

The one sector showing signs of stagnation was the median price of condominiums in Hamilton, which rose by just 4 per cent to $318,000. Ferrante attributes the weak growth to an excess of condo units on the market

Wonder how this plays out with still a lot more condo projects in the works. I've been tracking condo flippers on realtor.ca and the units aren't moving and are having to be substantially reduced from initial asking price.
In my opinion, the problem starts with owners demanding realtors to list their homes for more than their actual current worth. Some people are listing units or houses with Toronto price tags...

I think most of us on this board will agree that the condo market in Hamilton is getting ready to explode. So many interesting projects in development and lots of interest from people outside Hamilton even.

Although the average home/condo price has increased substantially in the last five years, some people want more money right now for something that will appreciate more once the rest of the city continues its revitalization even further.

That's when the real money will be made by the condo flippers. A lot of people are renting out properties now and plan on flipping them in a couple years, once said revitalization is in complete full swing.

Last edited by hamilton23; Oct 13, 2017 at 3:01 PM. Reason: Added content

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 3:19 PM

Love that article with the new condo construction updates.
I would LOVE to see this type of development in Hamilton:

https://twitter.com/WayneKarl/status/918847154801823745

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 3:28 PM
It's Hammer Time

Yep, that's all the rage nowadays. All the architects are playing around with the balconies.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 3:35 PM

^ArchitectsAlliance designed those towers. Same team as Television City. I love the perforated metal balconies. Deliciously matte! I'm happy lamb is doing three Hamilton projects because it means three or more aA buildings!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 3:42 PM

I read somewhere that Lamb had 5 development sites in Hamilton. Do we know where?
It's going to take lots of good advocacy by supporters of infill, new height, new downtown population to see his TV City built. the DNA is lining up to oppose it and keep their neighbourhood gated off from new residents.
Average price of a 2-storey home in Hamilton is now $580,000. Average price of a condo is $318,000. Short story: WE NEED MORE CONDOS...especially downtown where we can allow height. Enough of the NIMBYism

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 4:15 PM
It's Hammer Time

I know Brad Lamb bought the car wash station on Main St near Dundurn.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 5:18 PM

486 - 492 James Street North

There is an application in for a nine storey mixed use building with ground floor commercial for this property. Applicant is "First Rock Properties".

The properties is presently occupied by 3 - 2 storey building with second floor apartments. The first floor has Our Corner Bar & Grill, HIBA Convenience store and The Harbour Diner.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 1:07 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
It's not debatable though. The Connaught was the first high profile luxury condo in Downtown Hamilton. It created the competitive market we're about to enter.

I'm confused? Are you referencing the legal notice I sent you for harassing and threatening assault on innocent staff at the RC, David? Or the video footage from the security cameras that we posses? Please be clear.

I've never had a problem with criticism if it's in good taste and if there are valid points behind it. There's a fine line and difference between criticism and slander.

What I have a problem with is when someone goes out of their way to criticize a design, not knowing the reasoning behind the design or not understanding the complexities of architecture.
not to argue, but wasn't the pigott/sunlife building the first high profile condo building in downtown hamilton? Or is that apartments?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
not to argue, but wasn't the pigott/sunlife building the first high profile condo building in downtown hamilton? Or is that apartments?
Not sure those were on the higher end of things such as the RC. The RC is also one of the most historic landmarks in the city, arguably even the most.

Add in the fact that nothing had been done to the building in over 20 years is also a major reason why/how it anchored big development in the core. Other developers and investors saw someone doing something major in the core in terms of residential construction, and now we're seeing more and more projects popping up every week. This is also coming from a lot of these investors directly. They openly talk about how this project spearheaded the revitalization of the core.

It's amazing. As someone who was born and raised here, I love watching my hometown improve.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 3:36 PM

Pigott building is at least as historically significant as the RC (just a different era), particularly as it's the only neo-gothic skyscraper in the city. They're condos, but I can't comment on the finishings--it was the mid-1990s.

No single project has been the catalyst for Hamilton's rejuvenation. It's a complex set of contributing factors--artists buying up James North, restoration of the Lister Block, restoration of the Hunter Street GO station. All of these projects work together to form a critical mass. Then the tipping point . . . . All of which are highly noticeable in a medium-sized major Canadian city like ours.

I'm delighted to see the RC done (despite the horrible wings), but let's not overpraise it as the great spark that ignited downtown interest.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 4:26 PM

Quote:
No single project has been the catalyst for Hamilton's rejuvenation. It's a complex set of contributing factors--artists buying up James North, restoration of the Lister Block, restoration of the Hunter Street GO station. All of these projects work together to form a critical mass. Then the tipping point . . . . All of which are highly noticeable in a medium-sized major Canadian city like ours.
Agree ^ I credit the small building owners who took time & their own money to improve the facades of their buildings/repair units to make them ready for lease with much of the downtown's turnaround. OG James North tenants like Mixed Media and The Hamilton Store are among these folks. The opening of Hamilton Hotel & Mulberry Cafe, the renovation of the Friendship Gift Shop into CBC Hamilton...

If anyone is to credit, I believe it's these small property owners who made their tiny but significant difference to how Hamilton feels at street level.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
Agree ^ I credit the small building owners who took time & their own money to improve the facades of their buildings/repair units to make them ready for lease with much of the downtown's turnaround. OG James North tenants like Mixed Media and The Hamilton Store are among these folks. The opening of Hamilton Hotel & Mulberry Cafe, the renovation of the Friendship Gift Shop into CBC Hamilton...

If anyone is to credit, I believe it's these small property owners who made their tiny but significant difference to how Hamilton feels at street level.
Do you understand how economics work?

The entire development is in excess of hundreds of millions of dollars. It's a catalyst.

That massive financial investment into one section of downtown (the core), is what has triggered a chain reaction in terms of development, small, medium, large.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton