HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 7:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Pretty much 99% of Atlanta's growth has been suburban.
That's true for most landlocked cities in America since 1950.

Washington DC
Philadelphia
Baltimore
Boston
Detroit
Chicago
and more

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Atlanta city proper, which again, is mostly sprawl, had nearly 700k residents in 1950. The latest decennial Census had Atlanta's population at 420k. So there's no way Atlanta proper is anywhere near its historical population peak. It's probably a lot higher than the decennial count, but maybe 500k, at most. Meanwhile, suburban Atlanta has gone from virtually nothing to 6-7 million people.
Do you mean Metro Atlanta had 700k residents in 1950? The city of Atlanta wasn't that big in 1950, but it sounds about right for Atlanta metro.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 7:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Do you mean Metro Atlanta had 700k residents in 1950? The city of Atlanta wasn't that big in 1950, but it sounds about right for Atlanta metro.
Good catch. Here's the city of Atlanta's population figures:

Strong growth over the last 30 years, along with strong metro growth during the same period.

1950 331,314
1960 487,455
1970 495,039
1980 425,022
1990 394,017
2000 416,474
2010 420,003
2019 506,811

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
lol no, this is false. Never really did, even going back decades.

And you're kinda missing the point.
I don't believe these types of fluff pieces/boosterism wasn't happening when the Midwest was booming and midwestern cities were competing with each other. Did Chicago media never have national reach in the late 19th/20th century?

The only thing that has changed is different major media and different region.

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelback View Post
That's true for most landlocked cities in America since 1950.

Washington DC
Philadelphia
Baltimore
Boston
Detroit
Chicago
and more
"Landlocked" means having no seaport or navigable route to the sea.

Atlanta is indeed landlocked, but none of these cities you have listed fit the bill: Baltimore, Boston, and Philadelphia all have seaports, while Detroit and Chicago have ports with navigable routes to the sea. Washington DC doesn't have much of a port, but it does have a navigable route to the sea as well.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 8:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
"Landlocked" means having no seaport or navigable route to the sea.

Atlanta is indeed landlocked, but none of these cities you have listed fit the bill: Baltimore, Boston, and Philadelphia all have seaports, while Detroit and Chicago have ports with navigable routes to the sea. Washington DC doesn't have much of a port, but it does have a navigable route to the sea as well.
Landlocked means a city or municipal boundaries that cannot expand outwards to absorb outside populations.

Tempe, AZ is landlocked and is often described as being a landlocked city.

And to nobody's surprise, because Tempe has become landlocked, it's the most urban suburb in The Valley.

^That map is terrible btw, most of the West Valley suburbs are empty, but it does show where a lot of the future sprawl will happen.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelback View Post
Landlocked means a city or municipal boundaries that cannot expand outwards to absorb outside populations.
Which dictionary are you using here?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 11:38 PM
Never Dell

Landlocked is commonly used for both. I believe that traditionally it's about access to water, but it's been co-opted by municipalities unable to annex.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
Nice advertisement-bordering-on-propaganda piece. "Some might even call it the capital of the South" ...give me a fuckin break.

First of all, article aside, one of the first signs that someone is trying to manipulate you is use of vague hedging qualifiers, of which this is a textbook example. Ideally, you learn not to do this in high school.

But anyway, the capital of the south? In what world? Economically or demographically, sure! But this is not an article about stats, its about promoting culture, and to say that Atlanta is the cultural capital of the south is like saying Zurich is the cultural capital of Switzerland, or San Jose is the cultural capital of the Bay Area. Assuming that the biggest city in a given region must be the cultural capital is the first sign that someone has probably never been there or just doesnt know what theyre talking about. As any Russian will tell you, Russia may have its brain in Moscow, but the nation's heart and soul will forever be St. Petersburg.

So to this point, I would ask this writer, have they ever heard of New Orleans? Now THATS a southern city whose cultural contributions have changed the whole fucking world, never mind the US. If you asked people from all over the planet to name American cities they associate with African American cultural impact, you'll probably hear: New Orleans, Detroit, Chicago, New York, St. Louis, Montgomery, Oakland, and maybe even Seattle (a lot of people know Jimi Hendrix) before you hear them bring up Atlanta.

So thats what i found wrong with one sentence. Extrapolate what I've said here to the rest of the article, and then to CNN as an organization, then rinse and repeat

Ok I've read enough. There aren't too many people I've heard actually argue that Seattle has any type of cultural impact on Black America or even have the audacity to argue that it has more of cultural impact than ATLANTA, GEORGIA. For people not living under a boulder, Atlanta has been known as a black mecca and a cultural capital for Black America for long time now. How do I know this you ask??
-Longest string of black mayors in the country for a major city(almost 50 years of nothing but black mayors).
-Highest concentration of HBCUs of any place in the entire country
-Birthplace of MLK and cradle of the civil rights movement. SNCC and the SCLC were headquartered here. They were behind of the majority of the marches and sit-ins throughout the South. Atlanta was essentially the strategizing center of the civil rights movement. It was the one safe spot in the South. Ralph David Abernathy, Andrew Young, and MLK lived in Atlanta. Andrew Young became a Mayor and John Lewis became Atlanta's congressman.
-Due to all of the above, and especially after it elected its first black mayor in 1973, Atlanta began to attract black people in droves. Atlanta is still the top destination for black Americans. It's black population has grown to be the 2nd largest of all the metropolitan areas in the entire country. Over 2 million of Atlanta's six million people are black.
-Atlanta has been the cultural capital of black America since at least the 90s.The musicians are too numerous to name. From Freaknik to Tyler Perry, I can't think of a blacker city. Atlanta has practically dominated hip hop from the late 90s to some would argue even today. No black artist rises to the top without crossing through Atlanta at some point.

Furthermore, Atlanta has had an outsize role in shaping American history.
-The capture of Atlanta during the civil war crippled the Confederacy was covered extensively by Northern newspapers and boosted Northern morale which aided in Lincoln being reelected.
-Brands like Coca Cola and CNN are known world wide and are universal symbols of America. CNN changed TV news as we know. Two homegrown companies.
-Atlanta not only produced MLK but also the organizations behind most of the sitins and protests during the 60s in the South. Atlanta didn't have a lot of the activity of Alabama and Mississippi because frankly it wasn't needed. White city leaders would actually speak with and negotiate with black leaders. It's known as the "Atlanta Way"

Atlanta's progressivism and boosterism are the only two things that have propelled Atlanta to being one of the top 10 metros in the country. There is no other physical feature that this city has that gives it any advantage over anywhere else. Unlike a lot of southern cities, Atlanta has never been a city that wanted to look back and fight old battles or try to keep doing things the old way. It always has it's eyes on the next big adventure. That's Atlanta's appeal.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 12:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Which dictionary are you using here?
Ummm the common sense dictionary?

A city like Tempe, that cannot expand outwards due to other urban development is in fact, landlocked.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Illinois is the only state in the country that has elected more than one black U.S. senator.
That is nice but its just a bragging rights more than substantive.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Atlanta city proper, which again, is mostly sprawl, had nearly 700k residents in 1950. The latest decennial Census had Atlanta's population at 420k. So there's no way Atlanta proper is anywhere near its historical population peak. It's probably a lot higher than the decennial count, but maybe 500k, at most. Meanwhile, suburban Atlanta has gone from virtually nothing to 6-7 million people.

A metro of 6-7 million growing by 10-15% per decade is pretty much typical Sunbelt growth.
The city proper of Atlanta has never had more than 600,000.
You said it wasnt fourth now its typical growth? Is DC in the Sunbelt too? Its just after Atlanta in growth

As far as the sprawl you keep mentioning,there has been all kinds of articles lauding Atlantas "end to sprawl" and its reversal. the suburbs have been infilling like the city proper has, It will take more than a decade but its showing signs of progress everywhere
Most suburbs are indistinguishable as you say

Last edited by afonega1; Jul 29, 2021 at 2:10 AM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
That is nice but its just a bragging rights more than substantive.
Yeah... how many black senators has Georgia had again? One? Any black governors? Because mayors don't become president, lol. In the modern era, the path to the presidency has either been through the U.S. senate, a governorship, General of the Army, or reality TV. Georgia has a black senator now and I guess a lot of black reality TV stars, so who knows what the future holds.

Prior to Obama, Chicago also produced the black person who made it closest to getting a major party nomination for president (Jesse Jackson).

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 2:51 AM

Quote:
The city proper of Atlanta has never had more than 600,000.
You said it wasnt fourth now its typical growth? Is DC in the Sunbelt too? Its just after Atlanta in growth

As far as the sprawl you keep mentioning,there has been all kinds of articles lauding Atlantas "end to sprawl" and its reversal. the suburbs have been infilling like the city proper has, It will take more than a decade but its showing signs of progress everywhere
Most suburbs are indistinguishable as you say
Crawford needs to shut up and sit down when it comes to Atlanta, he's been spewing shit about it for over 20 years now.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Yeah... how many black senators has Georgia had again? One? Any black governors? Because mayors don't become president, lol. In the modern era, the path to the presidency has either been through the U.S. senate, a governorship, General of the Army, or reality TV. Georgia has a black senator now and I guess a lot of black reality TV stars, so who knows what the future holds.

Prior to Obama, Chicago also produced the black person who made it closest to getting a major party nomination for president (Jesse Jackson).
Again, Nice but its irrelevant.
Tyler Perry is a billionaire who has his media empire in Atlanta. Oprah Winfrey doesnt even live in Chicago anymore and OWN is located in LA.
Obamas never moved back to Chicago. they live in DC and Marthas vineyard.
Obama came to Atlanta several times when he was running and again for Biden. Perry hosted several fundraisers for both so Atlanta must have some influence, Last I checked it was Georgia and Atlanta that were all in the news influencing politics.

Im still waiting hear about those "black elite" in Chicago.

Ronald Reagan was an actor....
Quote:
Georgia has a black senator now and I guess a lot of black reality TV stars, so who knows what the future holds.
Your ignorance is showing with this statement. If that what you think then I think you need to have a talk with your teachers.

Lloyd Austin is from Georgia.Defense Secretary

Last edited by afonega1; Jul 29, 2021 at 4:06 AM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Crawford needs to shut up and sit down when it comes to Atlanta, he's been spewing shit about it for over 20 years now.
LOL'Sounds like he is getting his opinions from the 1980s Atlanta.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 5:22 AM

This thread is veering wildly between trolls and homers.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 5:34 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Hartsfield is slightly less terrible than Newark.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Again, Nice but its irrelevant.
Tyler Perry is a billionaire who has his media empire in Atlanta. Oprah Winfrey doesnt even live in Chicago anymore and OWN is located in LA.
Obamas never moved back to Chicago. they live in DC and Marthas vineyard.
Obama came to Atlanta several times when he was running and again for Biden. Perry hosted several fundraisers for both so Atlanta must have some influence, Last I checked it was Georgia and Atlanta that were all in the news influencing politics.

Im still waiting hear about those "black elite" in Chicago.

Ronald Reagan was an actor....

Your ignorance is showing with this statement. If that what you think then I think you need to have a talk with your teachers.

Lloyd Austin is from Georgia.Defense Secretary
Ronald Reagan was the governor of California.

Tyler Perry, lol. I'm done here.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 4:00 PM

Is Atlanta culturally significant? Absolutely, No argument from me there.

It has a rich history that sets it apart from other cities in the south. But.... For me, I judge cities on much more than that. I look what sets them apart locally (economy, architecture, city design, people, transit, etc). In this regard, I tend to put Atlanta in similar categories as other sunbelt sprawl cities. It's got a great economy, and has cultural significance, but that's about it. Do I dislike Atlanta? No. Do I think it's significant on a national scale compared to 1st tier cities like NY, LA, and the Bay area? No.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions