HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 4:43 PM

It's a crumby, anachronistic plan that's hostile to the community, I wouldn't want that in my backyard, either. There's no reason to build a Greger-esque parkway that takes up the entire right of way, turning useable (and in the Allotment Gardens' case, very well-used) green space into isolated, inaccessible islands to be drivven past at high speeds. Send this plan back to 1967 where it belongs.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 4:53 PM

Perhaps I missed it within some older posts but does anybody know the name of this road? Is it really Alta Vista Parkway? Or Hospital Link?

I am mostly curious of the section that just opened and not the ultimate name.

Thanks!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 6:26 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

For those who are interested, the above imagery of the preferred route comes from Chapter 7, here:

https://ottawa.ca/en/alta-vista-hosp...l-study-report

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
It's a crumby, anachronistic plan that's hostile to the community, I wouldn't want that in my backyard, either. There's no reason to build a Greger-esque parkway that takes up the entire right of way, turning useable (and in the Allotment Gardens' case, very well-used) green space into isolated, inaccessible islands to be drivven past at high speeds. Send this plan back to 1967 where it belongs.
As someone who lived in that area before, I actually supported it. It would have taken traffic off Alta Vista where I biked and provided a better route to downtown at the same time. It's also been on the books for as long as the neighborhoods exists, it's why the gap is there in the first place. It's 5km from Bank to St Laurent, which is the next major north-sourth road, whereas the spacing typically is 2.5 km between roads such as Fisher and Merivale, or Greenbank and Woodroffe (and Conroy is at the 2.5 km mark).

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
Perhaps I missed it within some older posts but does anybody know the name of this road? Is it really Alta Vista Parkway? Or Hospital Link?

I am mostly curious of the section that just opened and not the ultimate name.

Thanks!
I don't think it has an official name yet. There hasn't even really been any kind of announcement from the city that the project is complete. On Google Maps it's just "Unnamed Road" for the time being (some of it is missing too).

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 6:58 PM

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I think they originally wanted a 4-lane road, but eventually opted for a 2-lane road (which was what got built).

The pictures of the proposed plan do show that space would be left for allotment gardens to remain in the area. It's hard to tell just from that drawing, but it does seem like a few plots would need to be removed (with others being relocated).

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 9:27 PM

Didn't realize it crossed the river to connect with Nicholas. That to me makes a little more sense. Ridiculous they only made it 2 lanes wide though.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Didn't realize it crossed the river to connect with Nicholas. That to me makes a little more sense. Ridiculous they only made it 2 lanes wide though.
It isn't connected to Nicholas yet. It currently turns back and connects to the Riverside / Hincks intersection.

Once it's fully connected and complete, I imagine it'd see similar types of traffic as Alta Vista currently does. (With 2 lanes and all)

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCheetos View Post
It isn't connected to Nicholas yet. It currently turns back and connects to the Riverside / Hincks intersection.

Once it's fully connected and complete, I imagine it'd see similar types of traffic as Alta Vista currently does. (With 2 lanes and all)
The full road is to be four lanes. They only built the southbound lanes and made it two way when they built the hospital link, it was one of the NIMBY concessions. You can see the reserved space for the future northbound lanes already in the via rail underpass

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcamp View Post
As someone who lived in that area before, I actually supported it. It would have taken traffic off Alta Vista where I biked and provided a better route to downtown at the same time. It's also been on the books for as long as the neighborhoods exists, it's why the gap is there in the first place. It's 5km from Bank to St Laurent, which is the next major north-sourth road, whereas the spacing typically is 2.5 km between roads such as Fisher and Merivale, or Greenbank and Woodroffe (and Conroy is at the 2.5 km mark).
Don't get me wrong, I fully support public transit and reduction in cars on the road. Love it, get it done, can't wait.

However good old Alta Vista and Heron Gate is arguably a driving neighborhood, unless you're lucky enough to live near a bus route. And this is reflected in the abundance of traffic at Alta Vista/Industrial/Riverside/Walkley. Now, I'm not sure if this traffic would be fully alleviated by creating a road that allows straight-line traffic to downtown, but I hope it does! One need only do a quick google search for 'Goodlife Walkley Road to Byward Market' to see the crazy route you must take.

Or better yet, search Kilborn and Featherston to Byward. Explains all of the Main Street traffic. God help you if you're on a bus from there. Three transfers and 45 minutes to travel 8km.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Feath...45.4288655!3e2

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMEng View Post
Don't get me wrong, I fully support public transit and reduction in cars on the road. Love it, get it done, can't wait.

However good old Alta Vista and Heron Gate is arguably a driving neighborhood, unless you're lucky enough to live near a bus route. And this is reflected in the abundance of traffic at Alta Vista/Industrial/Riverside/Walkley. Now, I'm not sure if this traffic would be fully alleviated by creating a road that allows straight-line traffic to downtown, but I hope it does! One need only do a quick google search for 'Goodlife Walkley Road to Byward Market' to see the crazy route you must take.

Or better yet, search Kilborn and Featherston to Byward. Explains all of the Main Street traffic. God help you if you're on a bus from there. Three transfers and 45 minutes to travel 8km.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Feath...45.4288655!3e2
Yup, as someone who used to drive the zig zag route through Alta Vista every day, it is a very annoying route to take when you aren't destined anywhere IN the neighbourhood.

Combine that with the lack of good transit within/through the neighbourhood and this is one project I think will be a huge benefit to the community, as well as the area south of there (i.e. Conroy area). That is of course provided that it is designed properly to fit within the context of a neighbourhood (which will be a tough task).

Knowing some people who have bought in the area in the past 2 years, realtors were very open with them about the potential for this roadway to cut through the neighbourhood in the future, so I'd imagine many residents are aware of its looming presence.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 3:10 PM

I say the hell with the NIMBY's, this road has been planned for decades. It's the entire reason that strip of greenspace is even there!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 4:08 PM

These are all good reasons to build a road, there are many road design options available; just because it was planned as a parkway in the 1960s is no reason to build it that way today.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 4:46 PM

Quote:
These are all good reasons to build a road, there are many road design options available; just because it was planned as a parkway in the 1960s is no reason to build it that way today.
I don't mind the proposed design, though having giant centre medians is a waste of space. I think everywhere on that drawing showing a wide median should be a covered road, with a large earthen berm covering the road (i.e. road is at grade, covered with a hill/park).

The second issue is that the road becomes a highway at Nicholas, with no pedestrian or cycling infrastructure beyond Lees. BIG no-no.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMEng View Post
I don't mind the proposed design, though having giant centre medians is a waste of space. I think everywhere on that drawing showing a wide median should be a covered road, with a large earthen berm covering the road (i.e. road is at grade, covered with a hill/park).

The second issue is that the road becomes a highway at Nicholas, with no pedestrian or cycling infrastructure beyond Lees. BIG no-no.
That needs to change. There is no need for a highway to run from Laurier to the Queensway. This needs to be redesigned into an urban roadway.

Furthermore, the Alta Vista Parkway, if it is ever built through to Walkley needs to have bus lanes. This route will eventually be funneling much of the traffic from Findlay Creek out past the end of Conroy.

We need to take advantage of it and do it right, not just build a highway. Don't forget proper bike infrastructure as well. It will be a great route from Alta Vista, Elmvale and Hunt Club-Greenboro right into the downtown core for cyclists.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
That needs to change. There is no need for a highway to run from Laurier to the Queensway. This needs to be redesigned into an urban roadway.

Furthermore, the Alta Vista Parkway, if it is ever built through to Walkley needs to have bus lanes. This route will eventually be funneling much of the traffic from Findlay Creek out past the end of Conroy.

We need to take advantage of it and do it right, not just build a highway. Don't forget proper bike infrastructure as well. It will be a great route from Alta Vista, Elmvale and Hunt Club-Greenboro right into the downtown core for cyclists.
Yeah the new Hospital Link pisses me off as someone who cycles around there... I'm not against the Alta Vista Corridor, in fact I think it will relieve several nearby roads of traffic and allow Bank Street / St. Laurent / Smyth to be get some well-needed diets.

But, the hospital link was built (as far as I'm aware) without any cycling infrastructure over the Transitway / Riverside... so cyclists have to use the signal at Frobisher Lane to get to the Rideau River Eastern Pathway. Worse still they cul-de-saced old Riverside, which cuts off a nice relaxing cycling route I would use often from Kilborn Avenue -> Lamira St -> Rodney Crescent -> Riverside Hospital -> Old Riverside (now cut in half) -> Hurdman.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post

Is there a plan to extend the Main Street cycle tracks / bike lanes up Smythe Street? That would tie in nicely to theoretical bike lanes on Alta Vista Parkway and give people the downtown route you are referring to!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 8:07 PM

The Hospital Link was very much needed; this will release a big bottleneck for commuters coming from the Queensway and relieve pressure on Smyth and Alta Vista Drive.

However, I don't see the need for the connection to Nicholas in the North and even less need for a connection to Conroy in the South. I highly doubt this will be built in the next 20-30 years. The last EA (2005) for this failed to take into account the build-out of Hunt Club road to the Queensway and expansion of the Airport Parkway. These two factors, which relieve pressure of traffic coming from Riverside South preclude the need for a direct connection to Nicholas.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capital_urbanite View Post
The Hospital Link was very much needed; this will release a big bottleneck for commuters coming from the Queensway and relieve pressure on Smyth and Alta Vista Drive.

However, I don't see the need for the connection to Nicholas in the North and even less need for a connection to Conroy in the South. I highly doubt this will be built in the next 20-30 years. The last EA (2005) for this failed to take into account the build-out of Hunt Club road to the Queensway and expansion of the Airport Parkway. These two factors, which relieve pressure of traffic coming from Riverside South preclude the need for a direct connection to Nicholas.
Riverside South people wouldn't be taking that route even with it fully connected, Findly Creek maybe. It's more useful to the existing Alta Vista and Hunt Club communities.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 12:28 AM

It’s like all these urban design folk skipped the lesson on induced demand.
--Between build-and-run developers, budget-conscious planning departments, reactionary community associations and their city councillors, and the unaccountable OMB, we have more than enough bad actors sharing more than enough pathologies and perverse incentives.-David Reevely--

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation