HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 6:43 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

112 Montreal Rd & 314 Gardner St | 29\53\89\116m | 8\16\28\37f | Site Prep

1147310 Ontario Inc. is proposing to construct a total of six (6) buildings ranging in height from three (3) to 18 storeys on the site. In total, 607 residential dwelling units are proposed, as well as 300 square metres of retail gross floor area (GFA).

Development Application:
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__9EWGEU

Aerial:

Siteplan:

Elevation:

Last edited by rocketphish; Nov 6, 2014 at 1:14 AM. Reason: Added graphics

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 6:43 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Large development proposed for Montreal and Vanier Parkway

Ottawa East News, November 5, 2014
By Michelle Nash

A new proposal for Montreal Road could see the addition of seven new buildings at the intersection with the Vanier Parkway.

A two-storey hotel currently occupies 112 Montreal Rd. and a single detached house occupies 314 Gardner St., but a new zoning bylaw application submitted to the city on Oct. 1 is seeking to change the look of both properties with seven mixed-use and mixed height buildings.

The buildings will all be located on the south side of Montreal and to the west side of the parkway.

Currently the property, which is approximately one hectare, features three different zonings and the applicant is seeking amendments to rezone everything to traditional mainstreet, which allows up to a maximum of 18-storeys as well as residential and mixed-use buildings.

The proposed development seeks access from both the Vanier Parkway and Montreal Road. A private street will allow access between each building.

According to the application, a numbered company from Brampton, Ont. 1147310 Ontario Inc., would like to build four 18-storey residential buildings, one six-storey mixed-use building, a four-storey residential building and a three-storey common building with shared amenity space. The proposal would add 607 residential dwellings and retail to the area. There is also a proposed two-level underground parking lot proposed for the site.

The garage will encompass the entire site and will accommodate 545 parking spaces for residents and visitors, resident storage, bicycle storage and mechanical rooms.

There will be no retail parking provided.

According to the planning rationale submitted by Fotenn Consultants Inc. the six storey mixed-use building will front onto Montreal Road with retail at street level and five storeys of residential use above. The building includes 15 units, 300 square metres of retail divided into two units and 101 square metres of common amenity and lobby area also on street level.

The four-storey, 22-unit building is proposed for Gardner.

The remaining buildings -- four 18 storey buildings and one three-storey building -- will be located in the centre of the site. Two of the four 18 storey buildings will front the parkway with a three storey common building between. The two additional 18 storey buildings will be located in the interior of the site. Three of the buildings will have 143 units, while the fourth will have 141 units.

The project would be split into two construction phases, with the first phase consisting of the Montreal Road building and a shared underground garage. The second phase will see the additional buildings constructed.

Residents can view the application on the city’s development application website ottawa.ca/en/city-hall under the planning and development tab.

Comments can be submitted to Steve Belan, planner at steve.belan@ottawa.ca, or by calling at 613-580-2424, ext. 27591 until Nov. 20.

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/n...anier-parkway/

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 7:04 PM

Not sure how all these new residents are going to get around in their 545 cars in an already congested area of town?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 7:41 PM

Rentals?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 9:03 PM

^ Let's hope so... Rental market seems to be pretty hot. Low vacancies and very little new rental developments.

If anything, this is NOT the location for "luxury glass condominiums". If Icon, SoBa and other condos have trouble getting sales I don't know how units would sell here, not a very good part of town.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
^ Let's hope so... Rental market seems to be pretty hot. Low vacancies and very little new rental developments.

If anything, this is NOT the location for "luxury glass condominiums". If Icon, SoBa and other condos have trouble getting sales I don't know how units would sell here, not a very good part of town.
Q. How do not-very-good-parts-of-town become good ones?

A. One property at a time.

Someone has to go first in Vanier... and they already have. If the developer thinks there's a market, who are you to judge? I just hope they build something urban, and not more suburban crap.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 10:36 PM

If this a condo development, it would be a 'pioneer development'--a term used in Toronto to describe the effect of the condo market breaking into a low-value area. Such developments sell by taking advantage of the cheaper land to sell units for a lower price. The improvement to the urban fabric results in land values of the whole area going up again which in turns triggers a full on development boom in the area.

Investors & first time buyers tend to be attracted to pioneer developments due to their relatively low prices & great appreciation potential.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 1:24 AM

This application seems to have been updated with some revised plans.

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__9EWE07

Personally, I'm still not entirely sure what to think of this one. Six out-of-scale apartment towers in an antiquated setback garden configuration seems like something out of the 70s.

A public consultation is being held tomorrow at the Ottawa Plaza Inn for the curious, or those who want to get their NIMBY/PIMBY on.

https://www.facebook.com/acvanierca/...37539132989385

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 3:16 PM
You call that a knife?

I might be biased towards welcoming any large-scale redevelopment in this area but I think I'm okay with this

Not sure if these renderings are available in better detail online - this is looking west, parkway in the front, Esso in the right corner

from the meeting last night, image from https://www.facebook.com/QuartierVanierBIA/

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 3:44 PM

This is one of the major intersections in the city and deserves something more prominent than a gas station/Tim Hortons/drive-thru motel. At least these buildings will be nicer looking than any of the nearby high-rise buildings (i.e. those awful government buildings or the apartment blocks on Donald).

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 5:32 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

112 Montreal Rd & 314 Gardner St | 56 m | 2x18fl, 1x15fl, 1x13fl, 1x6fl ...|Proposed

This proposal has changed slightly, having one less tower than before. There are now 6 proposed buildings having heights of 2x18 fl, 1x15 fl, 1x13 fl, 1x6 fl, and 1x2 fl.

New Renderings:

Revised Siteplan:

Last edited by rocketphish; Sep 30, 2016 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Rehosting imagery for permanence.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 6:53 PM

I'm not a fan of the fact that the one commercial sliver of this development faces away from the main street. I wish the developer could aquire that Esso and turn that corner into a street-facing commercial development, but if it's not for sale, it's not for sale. Little would be lost; There's two other gas stations along that one block.

I'd even take some ground-level retail on the ground floors of those buildings, or even facing the Parkway immediately to the south of the gas station, just to give pedestrians a reason to move through the space. Instead, those interior lanes are going to be pretty uninviting once the sun goes down.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 8:01 PM

This plans seems pretty ambitious to build those 6 buildings within that parcel. Good needed development and gentrification for this part of town tho.

Has it been confirmed if this would be condos or rentals? In a tough condo market, I'm not sure they could find enough buyers to fill this one.. Or they might end up building Tower 1 and then having the rest of the land vacant for years to come

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 5:16 AM

Ohhhh noooo, they are going to demolish that beautiful motel? Surely it will get Heritage Status!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
This plans seems pretty ambitious to build those 6 buildings within that parcel. Good needed development and gentrification for this part of town tho.

Has it been confirmed if this would be condos or rentals? In a tough condo market, I'm not sure they could find enough buyers to fill this one.. Or they might end up building Tower 1 and then having the rest of the land vacant for years to come
I'm assuming that they are rental apartments.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I'm assuming that they are rental apartments.
Confirmed, yes, they will all initially be rental apartments ranging from bachelors (studios?) to two-bedrooms in size.

The developers are putting on a community info session this evening from 5:30 to 7 at the Ottawa Plaza Inn (112 Montreal Road). The developers, city staff, and councilor should be in attendance.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 4:53 PM

Is there likely to be any organized opposition? I could see a handful of neighbouring homeowners not being thrilled, but other than that it seems pretty non-contentious.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 6:02 PM

Having attended the previous information session, I would describe the atmosphere as 'chilly' towards the project.

Since the project necessitates a zoning change, there's certainly an opportunity for pushback. One fellow was quite outspoken against it at the last meeting; I'm sure the developers would welcome supportive feedback as well.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 3:23 PM

How could anyone oppose such a sensible proposal? Just about anything would be better than what's there now!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcologist View Post
How could anyone oppose such a sensible proposal? Just about anything would be better than what's there now!
My one quibble would be to improve the Montreal-Road-facing side. Otherwise, never misunderestimate the power of NIMBYism in Nimbywa.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa