HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 3:29 PM

It's really bad that CONCACAF tried to kick us out of our currently league to force us into the Canadian league, but I don't understand why Fury management/ownership fought so hard to stick with the U.S. only league.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 3:40 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
It's really bad that CONCACAF tried to kick us out of our currently league to force us into the Canadian league, but I don't understand why Fury management/ownership fought so hard to stick with the U.S. only league.
CONCACAF's moves were a reminder to OFFC that they won't be able to play in USL in 2020. 2019 is their last year in USL. The past few weeks were a bit of a kick in the pants to keep them in line.

Why OFFC are so against CPL is another question entirely. Rumour is the OFFC folk were doing a lot of behind-the-door bad mouthing of the CPL in the lead up. Apparently when CPL was being planned in 2016 OFFC's plans were wait until that CPL thing collapses and keep playing in US.

It sure sounds like OFFC would rather fold than play in CPL which is...very odd to say the least. I can see why they don't want to move to CPL for 2019 (cost mitigation) but in the long term the CPL is the better league for them. They've been treading water for three years now in US leagues with nothing to show for it.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2018, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
*snip*

It sure sounds like OFFC would rather fold than play in CPL which is...very odd to say the least. I can see why they don't want to move to CPL for 2019 (cost mitigation) but in the long term the CPL is the better league for them. They've been treading water for three years now in US leagues with nothing to show for it.
I do not share this point of view. The Fury decided to stay in the USL for many reasons, most of which are economic.

To put things in perspective, current CFL expansion fees are estimated to be $9 to $10 million CDN. (RedBlacks paid about CDN$7 million). Existing USL expansion fees are around US$7 million which works out to roughly CDN$9.5 million. The Fury therefore are a valuable property for OSEG. If they leave the USL they would be risking losing this investment. It is much wiser to take a wait-and-see approach on how the new Canadian league works out, as it is far from certain that they will be viable in the long run.

Then there is the fact that the new Canadian league has a much lower salary cap and fewer benefits (e.g. less help with housing) than USL. As such, I heard that Fury player themselves were not in favour of joining the CPL because it would mean less money and benefits for them.

A lot of soccer fans were disappointed that the Fury decided to stay in the USL. As a season ticket holder from day one, however, I fully support managements decision to stay in the USL. It was not only the responsible choice from a business perspective, but also better for the players, coaches, and other staff.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2018, 5:46 PM

Another season seat holder here. I agree with staying in the USL short term, and possibly long term if the CPL doesn't pan out. Unfortunately, the success of a league like the CPL might depend on the presence of a team like Ottawa with a nice facility and a decent fan base. In terms of soccer quality there is no question that the USL will provide a better on-field product in the near term.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 2:38 PM

This better explains the Fury's position, thank you.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 5:26 PM

OSEG and Champions announce strategic partnership

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
JANUARY 29, 2019

OTTAWA - The Ottawa Champions professional baseball club and the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group (OSEG) today announced a strategic partnership to drive ticket sales and corporate sponsorships for the baseball team. OSEG, with its deep roots within the Ottawa community, will assist the Champions in establishing new relationships with Ottawa-Gatineau sports fans and businesses.

Champions owner Miles Wolff commented: “We are extremely pleased to have this association with OSEG, one of the top sports organizations in Canada. Their confidence in the Champions will further strengthen the long-term viability of our organization in the market.”

OSEG owns and operates the Ottawa REDBLACKS football club (CFL), Ottawa Fury FC soccer club (USL) and the Ottawa 67’s hockey club (OHL). The organization also manages TD Place and Lansdowne Park in partnership with the City of Ottawa. The REDBLACKS have been tremendously successful, both on the field and in attendance, since they debuted in 2014, winning the Grey Cup in 2016 and playing in two other championship games in their 5 seasons of existence. The 67’s are one of the top Junior teams in Canada and Fury FC is Canada’s only team in USL Championship, the fastest growing division 2 soccer league in the world.

A member of the independent Can-Am League, the Champions are starting their fifth season in Ottawa. The 2016 league champions, the club has welcomed over 450,000 fans in its first four seasons of operation.

Adrian Sciarra, OSEG’s senior vice president for sports business operations, commented: “We’re happy to help the Champions expand their footprint in the Ottawa-Gatineau sports market. Live sporting events are a fun outing for friends and families, and we’ll help get the word out that Champions’ baseball is a great summertime entertainment option.”

Champions season tickets and flex packs for the 2019 season are now available at OttawaChampions.com. The team’s home opener is May 17, the first of a 4-game series against the New Jersey Jackals.

https://mailchi.mp/oseg/oseg-champio...rship-20190129

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 5:26 PM

Hoping the opening of Line 1 will help boost the Champion's attendance.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Hoping the opening of Line 1 will help boost the Champion's attendance.
I would think it will. The pedestrian link over the highway is essentially perfect for people going to the stadium.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 5:02 PM

Puzzled why they built that bridge just before the Transitway shut down. Usage must have been crazy low the first few years.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 5:03 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Puzzled why they built that bridge just before the Transitway shut down. Usage must have been crazy low the first few years.
Don't think i've ever seen anyone use it. At least now the 1 Line will provide some connectivity for those not driving to Champions games.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Don't think i've ever seen anyone use it. At least now the 1 Line will provide some connectivity for those not driving to Champions games.
I've used it a few times going to/from St. Laurent by bike, as I was going to the eye doctor and couldn't drive afterwards. I know, I know. Incidentally, I saw people on it each time (at least I think they were people).

There are nice bike lanes on Coventry that connect up to it now. Once the paths on the train station side are reconnected following construction, I expect that you'll see more cyclists in addition to LRT passengers.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 8:31 PM

Quote:
My family and I use it to walk from Vanier to Walmart/Trainyards. But I've only seen two or so people use it at the same time we're using it.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I've used it a few times going to/from St. Laurent by bike, as I was going to the eye doctor and couldn't drive afterwards. I know, I know. Incidentally, I saw people on it each time (at least I think they were people).

There are nice bike lanes on Coventry that connect up to it now. Once the paths on the train station side are reconnected following construction, I expect that you'll see more cyclists in addition to LRT passengers.
I was around there and I noticed that while both Coventry and Tremblay have bike lanes/paths, the bridge on Belfast has none. Talk about a gap fail...

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
I was around there and I noticed that while both Coventry and Tremblay have bike lanes/paths, the bridge on Belfast has none. Talk about a gap fail...
There are two bicycle crossings of the highway within 50m.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 3:39 PM

University of Ottawa partners with NCAFA to create Junior Gee-Gees Summer Elite Teams

Jan 30, 2019
OTTAWA, ON - uOttawa Sports Services announced Wednesday it will partner with the National Capital Amateur Football Association (NCAFA) in the creation of two Summer Elite Teams (S.E.T.). Beginning this year, both the U15 and U17 teams will be branded as the NCAFA Junior Gee-Gees.
This multi-year partnership connects two long-standing football institutions in the National Capital Region in hopes of further promoting and supporting high-level youth football in the Ottawa area.
Throughout NCAFA's 50+ year history, their member clubs have produced countless Gee-Gees athletes, alumni, and coaches. With this new agreement, the University of Ottawa continues to foster amateur sport by giving area youth access to top facilities and experience in a collegiate football setting.
The NCAFA Junior Gee-Gees will call Gee-Gees Field and uOttawa's Lees Campus home for games and practices in the 2019 season.
The Junior Gee-Gees teams will be comprised of the top 88 players aged 13-16 from NCAFA's 14 member clubs that span the City of Ottawa, Gatineau, and Cornwall, as well as some outlying areas. The S.E.T. teams will play up to five exhibition games against teams in Ontario and Quebec, with their season culminating in the three game tournament formally known as the Spalding Cup, annually held in Montreal in early July.
"The S.E.T. program is designed to expose Ottawa area kids to a high level of coaching while giving them a tremendous football experience", stated Steve Dean, President of NCAFA. "We will be playing top opponents from Quebec with the objective to educate all our players on the right path to take to get to the next level. The program will be comprised of many facets other than football to assist in maximizing the overall development of each player. Partnering with uOttawa Gee-Gees Football Program is our first win of the season."
The Gee-Gees football team, established in 1881, is one of the longest-running collegiate football programs in North America, and one of the most successful in U SPORTS. With the creation of the NCAFA Junior Gee-Gees banner, elite young athletes have the opportunity to come together to suit up in the Gee-Gees' classic garnet and grey while representing their respective teams across the area.
"uOttawa is very excited to partner with NCAFA in the creation of the Junior Gee-Gees program," said Michel Guilbeault, Associate Vice-President, Student Life at uOttawa.
"The NCAFA Junior Gee-Gees is a great opportunity to further promote the Gee-Gees brand and football legacy in the National Capital Region. We hope to see many Junior Gee-Gees become full-fledged uOttawa Gee-Gees in the years to come."

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 3:18 PM

Spin off of the OSEG/Champions partnership, LeDroit article seems to suggest OSEG might purchase the team within the next year.

I'd like to see a Lansdowne type development around Lynx Stadium. Although the area isn't a well established urban neighborhood like the Glebe, the stadium has (or will have at some point in time) access to the Confederation Line.

https://www.ledroit.com/sports/champ...05164e688d29a4

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 6:35 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I'd like to see a Lansdowne type development around Lynx Stadium. Although the area isn't a well established urban neighborhood like the Glebe, the stadium has (or will have at some point in time) access to the Confederation Line.
I'm not sure if there's enough space available but they should consider moving the Fury to RCGT Park and get them away from having 20K empty seats every other week at Lansdowne. Would be interesting to see OSEG pick up another sport location to divide their teams with.

You're right that RCGT has potential for some Lansdowne-type redevelopment but it seems a bit hemmed in by the hotels to the West and retail to the East, as well as Coventry being less conducive for pedestrians than Bank. At least it's on an LRT line, unlike Lansdowne...

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 7:35 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure if there's enough space available but they should consider moving the Fury to RCGT Park and get them away from having 20K empty seats every other week at Lansdowne. Would be interesting to see OSEG pick up another sport location to divide their teams with.

You're right that RCGT has potential for some Lansdowne-type redevelopment but it seems a bit hemmed in by the hotels to the West and retail to the East, as well as Coventry being less conducive for pedestrians than Bank. At least it's on an LRT line, unlike Lansdowne...
The baseball park is not well designed for soccer.

I think you would see smaller crowds for Soccer at Lynx stadium, which is really isolated compared to Lansdowne. At least Lansdowne is very urban with lots of restaurants in the immediate area. I don't think soccer fans will want to eat at the neighbouring hotels.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 7:42 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
The baseball park is not well designed for soccer.

I think you would see smaller crowds for Soccer at Lynx stadium, which is really isolated compared to Lansdowne. At least Lansdowne is very urban with lots of restaurants in the immediate area. I don't think soccer fans will want to eat at the neighbouring hotels.
I agree in general, which is why you would consider the Lansdowne-type development I mentioned in my post. It's a stretch and certainly fantasy at this point, but Fury are simply treading water at Lansdowne and likely will be for the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Spin off of the OSEG/Champions partnership, LeDroit article seems to suggest OSEG might purchase the team within the next year.

https://www.ledroit.com/sports/champ...05164e688d29a4
Aside from the redevelopment potential noted above, I imagine they're interested in a Blue Jays AA affiliate. If I remember correctly the Jays were interested a few years ago but the lack of LRT and the costly stadium improvements were a problem for the City.

Last edited by kevinbottawa; Feb 10, 2019 at 1:43 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation