HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Ottawa Photos

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 8:40 PM

My aerials from 2004...what a change!

I was flipping through some photos I took from my plane in August 2004 and I can't believe how much has changed in 6 years!!!

Enjoy! Discuss!

-Harley-

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 9:41 PM

Lots of changes on the photo looking east with the War Museum and Lebreton Flats just starting the redevelopment. Great photos..thanks for posting them

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 10:18 PM
Still optimistic

I thought you were being sarcastic, but Wow! It really has changed! I mean, look at the Market!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 10:30 PM

in the first picture, Pinnacle, Constitution III and Minto III are all missing

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 10:40 PM

It's crazy all the new condos! Missing include Pinnacle, Mondrian, HP 1 and 2 East Market 3, CP 1 and 2, The Gardens (can see the crane), Lebreton 1 and 2. Any other completed condos I am missing?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 11:16 PM

Being from Winnipeg I don't understand why Ottawa's skyline is so flat and bland?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Being from Winnipeg I don't understand why Ottawa's skyline is so flat and bland?
Same reason Washington's or Dublin's is: legislated height restrictions.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
It's crazy all the new condos! Missing include Pinnacle, Mondrian, HP 1 and 2 East Market 3, CP 1 and 2, The Gardens (can see the crane), Lebreton 1 and 2. Any other completed condos I am missing?
Not a condo, but Desmarais Hall at U of O.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 11:41 PM
Awesome!

And just outside downtown at Riverside and the 417, the Hampton Hotel at 14 stories and in the next to last image La Tiffany (?) on Landry in Vanier (20 stories) and the Seniors Complex building off St. Patrick (10 stories).

And in the market there is also 90 George and 700 Sussex (the latter under construction and probably already topped off as of the shot).

And for the other buildings not mentionned, the new Congress Centre, the BMO building near Slater and Bank, the Telus Building just across and the new building at Slater and O'Connor.

And in five years, the changes will be even more significant, After today, we will add the Soho projects, the Central condos (further south) the Bay Street Condos, the Vanier Tower, Tribeca at Metcalfe and Lisgar, two more Claridge Place towers, the next phases of the Lebreton Flats, another Standard Life building, the hotel/condo on Sparks, la Tiffani II in Vanier and hopefully filling up the lot between Place Bell and 66 Slater, the Nepean Tower and the next phase of Place de Ville, the Cathedral lot at Bronson and Queen, 500 Preston, a new Museum of Science and Technology and the lot across from the Crowne Plaza, the lot at City Centre, the new Frank Clair Stadium and so on. I might be missing some

Not to mention all the towers in Gatineau as well and the LRT and Rapibus.

So you might think it changed a lot but it might be nothing in comparaison of what it will look like in 2016-2017.

Last edited by Cre47; Jan 10, 2011 at 11:59 PM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
it's no flatter and a lot less bland than Winnipegs!!! no offense.

if you look at the list of tallest buildings in both cities, they compare quite closely. Both have 5 buildings over 100m, winnipeg's tallest is only 4 metres taller than ottawa's tallest. the architecture in winnipeg is horrible, although ottawa's modernist federal architecture is pretty horrible as well. we have parliament hill and the chateau laurier to spice things up though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...gs_in_Winnipeg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ttawa-Gatineau

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
the architecture in winnipeg is horrible, although ottawa's modernist federal architecture is pretty horrible as well. we have parliament hill and the chateau laurier to spice things up though.
Well, Ottawa is "flatter" in that there is very little the rises above anything else. In Winnipeg, there is a cluster of stuff that rises above the general level of other stuff.

Winnipeg, to its credit, also has a train station in the city centre and a river that has some — gasp — commerce and other stuff that isn't trees and grass and monuments on it.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Well, Ottawa is "flatter" in that there is very little the rises above anything else. In Winnipeg, there is a cluster of stuff that rises above the general level of other stuff.

Winnipeg, to its credit, also has a train station in the city centre and a river that has some — gasp — commerce and other stuff that isn't trees and grass and monuments on it.
I'm not sure when this became a dick measuring contest, but Winnipeg isn't even in the same league as Ottawa in terms of number and density of tall buildings in it's downtown core. That's exactly the reason that two buildings (128 and 124 metres) seems to dwarf everything else around whereas in Ottawa our few 100m+ buildings look "flat". CBD comparisons:

vs.

Plus, keep in mind the number of towers recently built and under construction in our city compared to yours. We won't even get into vibrancy and livability of our central neighbourhoods compared to yours. I'll keep my boring view planes and you can have your 'unflat' downtown.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
I'm not sure when this became a dick measuring contest
Dude, it's Skyscraper Page.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Ottawa Photos