HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

View Poll Results: Which of the designs would you like to see become the new Lansdowne 'Front Lawn'?
Option A: "One Park, Four Landscapes" 12 11.88%
Option B: "Win Place Show" 23 22.77%
Option C: "A Force of Nature" 14 13.86%
Option D: "All Roads Lead to Aberdeen" 16 15.84%
Option E: "The Canal Park in Ottawa" 18 17.82%
None of the above. Please keep my ashphalt. 18 17.82%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 6:43 PM

For overhead views and explanations check the video on the Sun's website

http://www.ottawasun.com/news/ottawa.../14147736.html

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 6:51 PM

I'm hoping this is just a rendering issue, but apart from the amazing stadium, it looks like Kanata Centrum without the parking.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 7:12 PM

Thanks for the video link. This looks amazing. I can't agree with the Centrum comment, with all the residential and on street parking this will be busy and very urban. I'm really quite impressed with the density it will be a hooping place duing a CFL game.

Josh

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 8:24 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodionx View Post
I'm hoping this is just a rendering issue, but apart from the amazing stadium, it looks like Kanata Centrum without the parking.
I seriously don't know how you can say that. Centrum is positively tacky, lacking impressive architecture, lacking plazas and courtyards, lacking gardens, is full of typical suburban big-box stores and other typical tenants and is stuck in a sea of parking. How in the flying Hell does Lansdowne remind you of Centrum?

P.S. They had an overhead view of the site at the presentation that was a Carleton today.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 8:30 PM
National Capital Region

TSN has some more stadium images (see the gallery) as well as a clip of the stadium render from that video
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=322816

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 8:46 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 9:13 PM
BANNED

One word.

Claustrophobic.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
I seriously don't know how you can say that. Centrum is positively tacky, lacking impressive architecture, lacking plazas and courtyards, lacking gardens, is full of typical suburban big-box stores and other typical tenants and is stuck in a sea of parking. How in the flying Hell does Lansdowne remind you of Centrum?

P.S. They had an overhead view of the site at the presentation that was a Carleton today.
Take all the buildings in Centrum and push them close together, and that's what this is, more or less. It's got that glassy, silvery pinkish, interlocking boxes thing that moderately upscale suburban developments have. Which is not surprising, since that's what Hobin is known for. It not terrible - not even Centrum is so bad, but it's meh. Not up to the standard of the other elements.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 9:41 PM
Still optimistic

Tears of joy.

Beautiful.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 11:10 PM
Closed account

With lots of people, it's looking really good; however, I'm somewhat concerned about how it will feel when it is not crammed full of people.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
With lots of people, it's looking really good; however, I'm somewhat concerned about how it will feel when it is not crammed full of people.
I agree with you there, it could be a very lonely place in the middle of the winter. Overall, I like the design and think the stadium looks great! It's gonna be an interesting vote next month, but I have no doubt that this will pass. The council has embarrassed themselves too many times already to let another great opportunity go to waste.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 11:22 PM
National Capital Region

screencap from the Sun video

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 11:52 PM
National Capital Region

Site Plan from the CBC!

Last edited by waterloowarrior; May 28, 2010 at 12:05 AM.

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 12:21 AM

Rather than give my opinion, I will let Wayne Scanlan from the Ottawa Citizen do it for me. I love everything he says in this excellent, however biased, article regarding the new Lansdowne plan.

Quote:
Ottawa stadium: a picture’s worth a thousand words
By Wayne Scanlan, Ottawa Citizen May 27, 2010 8:02 PM

OTTAWA — It’s a simple enough exercise.

Take in the design for Frank Clair Stadium, mesh in the fabric of spectacular new plans for Lansdowne Park and then close the eyes to imagine a moonlit night astride the Rideau Canal.

The Ottawa Rough Riders, or whatever they may be called, are threatening to score with the game on the line and — they fumble the ball.

Hey, this isn’t a Hollywood sports movie.

But from the look of the stadium and park designs revealed on Thursday, the Lansdowne site would make a decent movie backdrop.

For now, they’re just pretty pictures, soon to be a model to scale, and they won’t get past that stage without an approving vote from city council late next month. But this stadium creation from the ashes of the crumbled southside stands has enough of the sought-after “wow” factor that it may not matter for a while if Ottawa’s next CFL team is a contender. The honeymoon period should carry the day until the venue has a team worthy of such a facility.

While football and soccer are expected to be the games of choice, a baseball analogy comes to mind with this design: a home run.

With its sleek wooden veil over the new south stands, “nested” seating partly hidden by a sloping berm of “indigenous gardens,” and a rebuilt roof on the north stands (over a refurbished hockey arena), the stadium answers the call for something special, but also functional.

In a 90-minute presentation on Thursday, the architects painstakingly walked us through the plans. Clearly, for the architects, the effort to create a project linking Lansdowne’s 150-year-old past with the needs of a modern nation’s capital was a labour of love.

Mayor Larry O’Brien, who opened the proceedings, professed to be as excited as a child at Christmas.

“One day the door opens and the future walks in,” O’Brien said.

Jeff Hunt, owner of the Ontario Hockey League Ottawa 67’s and the man who will preside over future sports endeavours here, believes the stadium can’t miss.

“Aesthetically, I think it’s gorgeous, and that wooden structure really gives it a unique identity,” Hunt said. “A lot of times, stadiums are kind of cookie cutter. This design . . . really does feel like it’s in a park.”

Along with the new look comes new stadium amenities, improved washrooms, concessions, and, when they talk about putting bums in seats, these are real seats, not benches.

Until now, the Lansdowne experience meant driving to the stadium, fighting traffic and getting out as soon afterward as possible. The new site just might inspire people to arrive early and linger after.

“It’s a destination in and of itself,” Hunt said. “It will make for an enhanced fan experience.”

Leaving the car at home or somewhere else in the city might be part of the new plan.

Water taxi, anyone?

That is one of the suggested means of transport to Lansdowne, via water craft, along the canal to catch a game.

“Getting there might be half the experience,” Hunt says. “You get on a boat, go to Lansdowne, get a bite to eat.”

Council is expected to debate the proposal and vote on it June 28.

If you build it, they will come — the CFL is simply waiting for the stadium OK before upgrading a conditional franchise to a real one for Ottawa, which endured more than 120 years of Rough Riders football, and then a few more as the “Renegades,” before both entities collapsed due to ownership, stadium and franchise problems.

The ownership group of Roger Greenberg, Bill Shenkman, John Ruddy and Hunt hasn’t yet decided if the Rough Riders name, with its mixed bag of baggage, will come back. Hunt has a thought on that.

“What if you had a new name, whatever that might be, but once a year you had a retro game, where you played as the Rough Riders in the traditional Rough Rider jersey?” Hunt said.

The Saskatchewan Roughriders would probably like that idea — one less “Rider” in a nine-team league.

Among those who cheered — screamed, actually — loudest for the Lansdowne unveiling was superfan Alison Comrie.

Comrie says she has 2,200 people on her Facebook page supporting football’s return.

Soccer is also built into the stadium proposal.

John Pugh, owner of the Ottawa Fury Soccer Club, said he envisions a USL Division Two operation here, a step down from the MLS.

Two franchises in need of a good home, with a good home in sight.

Ottawa Citizen

wscanlanthecitizen.canwest.com

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 12:35 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodionx View Post
Take all the buildings in Centrum and push them close together, and that's what this is, more or less. It's got that glassy, silvery pinkish, interlocking boxes thing that moderately upscale suburban developments have. Which is not surprising, since that's what Hobin is known for. It not terrible - not even Centrum is so bad, but it's meh. Not up to the standard of the other elements.
Reread my post. All the things I listed that weren't at Centrum ARE going to be at Lansdowne. It's nothing like Centrum, and I say that as a man who's spent way too much time at Kanata Centrum.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
By the looks of this the are trying to put 500-700 residents on site. With that many people plus other glebites and people that will travel for the food store and speciality stores I don't think that even in the winter it will be that barren.

At least that is what I'm hoping.

Josh

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemartin View Post
One word.

Claustrophobic.
One word.

Urban.

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 10:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post
One word.

Urban.
Agreed.

And certainly not a park or a public space.

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 10:45 AM

Again - how are 24,000 people supposed to get in there and get out of there - no OTrain mass transit - there will be lots of parking - gridlock - this is the only plans misgiving.

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 10:47 AM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemartin View Post
Agreed.

And certainly not a park or a public space.
Because parks can only exist in non-urban areas, and public space only exists in the form of vast, open areas, uninhibited by anything that would give them form or function.

Certainly non-park, non-open-areas such as the courtyards, streets, and pedestrian walkways of the ByWard Market are not public spaces. Nor are the grounds of Parliament, inhibited as they are by urban structures such as the West Block, East Block, Centre Block and buildings accross the street on Wellington. Don't get me started on Sparks Street or Confederation Square. Just because thousands of people gather at the Cenotaph every Remembrance Day (let alone countless other special and everyday occasions) does not make this a public space, because such a classification can only be accorded to windswept grass.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa