HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Future predictions are notoriously wrong. Autonomous vehicles may never take over. Gasoline might be dominate in 2070 still. It was certainly predicted to be on the steep decline by now 50 or at least 47 years ago.
Ha! LOL You are so so so so wrong

The future workplace will be a flexible one, yes we will still have offices but people who can work from home will have the tools and ability to do so at least part time. So if you are working 2 days a week from the office, will you buy a bus pass? will you drive?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
When the pandemic is over, people will 100% be going back into their offices.
Not sure if your 100% and my 100% are talking about the same thing. I'm saying that people won't be going back to the office full time (100%). As I said, they're already making plans for us to bring all our personal stuff home. We aren't going to have set desks to go back to. And the point of hoteling is to decrease the amount of office space required because at any given time, only a fraction of the workforce is in the office. In no future world will 100% of the people be going back 100% of the time because they weren't even doing that before the pandemic.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusReader View Post
Not sure if your 100% and my 100% are talking about the same thing. I'm saying that people won't be going back to the office full time (100%). As I said, they're already making plans for us to bring all our personal stuff home. We aren't going to have set desks to go back to. And the point of hoteling is to decrease the amount of office space required because at any given time, only a fraction of the workforce is in the office. In no future world will 100% of the people be going back 100% of the time because they weren't even doing that before the pandemic.
If you're talking DND, I sure hope they've been increasing the DWAN conduit pipe. It was pretty embarrassing when the snowstorm in late 2019 exposed the limitations of everyone working on DVPNI. It should be better now, but I also agree with you, there will be much more teleworking once we are back to "normal".

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesladom View Post

The future workplace will be a flexible one, yes we will still have offices but people who can work from home will have the tools and ability to do so at least part time. So if you are working 2 days a week from the office, will you buy a bus pass? will you drive?
Maybe. It depends what happens to productivity. Some people are equally or more productive at home, but many are not. I work two days in the office and 3 at home and I am definitely less productive than in the Before Time.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
Apparently not all..."As of today, Shopify is a digital by default company. We will keep our offices closed until 2021 so that we can rework them for this new reality. And after that, most will permanently work remotely. Office centricity is over.
10:55 AM · May 21, 2020"
That's lovely and all, but how about we revisit that after the pandemic is over.

People will be going back to offices.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusReader View Post
This.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 1:20 PM

The Alexandra Bridge demolition is planned for 2028 with a 2032 opening for the new structure.

https://www.ledroit.com/actualites/l...c96f803d512052

If they want to build the "sixth" crossing before the removal of Alexandra, they'd better get going.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 9:19 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Feds move to study Ottawa-Gatineau tram possibilities, give job to NCC

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Apr 19, 2021 • 8 minutes ago • 3 minute read

The federal Liberal government is on board with trying to centralize planning for some interprovincial public transit in the capital region, while reasserting its intention to build a new bridge between Ottawa and Gatineau.

<snip>

At the same time, the federal government is still interested in pursuing a new bridge connecting Ottawa and Gatineau.

The budget announced on Monday carves out a project office at Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC), working with the NCC, specifically to address the need for a new interprovincial crossing.

The government assigned bridge work to the NCC through the 2019 federal budget, asking the agency to review previously halted studies that suggested a crossing over Kettle Island was the best location for a sixth interprovincial bridge.

While the federal budget aims to establish the new project offices, there was no extra funding identified for the offices at PSPC and the NCC.

The NCC is also poised to receive more financial help to maintain its assets.

The budget earmarks $35 million, spread evenly over five years, for the agency to acquire and upkeep federal assets, green infrastructure and spaces in the capital region.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...ves-job-to-ncc

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 7:19 AM

Quote:

Let's see about predictions.

Here is a prediction from 1967 about 1990:

"Video phones are to come into wide use—enable businessmen to set up conference calls and discuss company matters as though meeting in the same office. Such a development would help reduce the transportation crush. "Why travel for a belly-to-belly confrontation when a video phone would be much more efficient?" asks one electronics expert."

If I am working two days a week and I will drive. I'd expect daily parking rates to fall. If whole Public Service (maybe excepting defence) adopt it then it would mostly be the end of middle class transit use in Ottawa.

Personally I have moved a lot but always lived walking distance to downtown. If I go two days a week I may reconsider that. Ottawa doesn't have any smaller towns I consider worth living in but somewhere like Perth has potential if other people are doing driving better restaurants etc.

Two days a week and I don't see Francophones from Montreal who join the public service even moving to Ottawa. HSR/LRT makes for a decent if long commute. Easily doable twice a week.

My point lots of unexpected consequences.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 12:37 PM

"the pendulum will not swing all the way back"

This is an applicable phrase to a number of things impacted by the pandemic-including commuting/working from the office/virtual conference/in person meetings and probably a gazillion other practices that were somewhat inefficient.

Job interviews, at least the first one, will often be video calls, not in person. The list goes on and on. We've learned new ways of doing things and some will stick. I used to lug my laptop and projector around downtown, sit in board rooms and do demos. I don't see that ever truly coming back unless its a massive project.

That being said, once this is over (if), it will be nice to see a balance of both in person and virtual engagement.

Since this is a bridge thread, I would say the impact on traffic will be measurable but we had some pretty bad traffic before so road construction will likely march on.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 1:41 PM

Quote:

But that's not how "bus passes" work anymore. The modern day transit pass (Presto or other) can be loaded and used on a per-use basis. Also the pay by debit/credit system is being rolled out. You don't have to pay for a whole month anymore.

The same logic can be used with automobiles. If you are working 2 days a week from the office, will you buy/lease a car, pay $20 to park it for the day at the office?

I can guarantee when covid passes many people will not have the ability to work in a flexible workplace like you suggest.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 2:18 PM
Still optimistic

I do think that this is an interesting opportunity to rethink how we charge for transit though. When people start going back to work, they might indeed not splurge for a monthly pass because not as many people will be as confident that they'll make enough use of it to justify that (vs pay-as-you-go). One way to avoid this is to have fare capping, where you pay per ride, but never exceed the best available fare. For example, if one ride is $3, but a day pass is $6, then if you ride the bus five times in the day, you'll only be charged the $6 a day pass would've cost you. If the monthly pass is $100, then you'll be charged per trip until $100, but never more in a month.
This way, people can return to transit without knowing how much they'll use it, but confident that they won't be overcharged.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 2:45 PM

I agree. I'm glad OC Transpo is now looking at fare-capping, but this should have been done a while ago. I know a lot of people, including myself, who were paying trip-per-trip instead of buying a pass due to the ridiculously high cost. Only needed to take a few days off or drive in once a week and the transit pass was no longer advantages.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNerd View Post
But that's not how "bus passes" work anymore. The modern day transit pass (Presto or other) can be loaded and used on a per-use basis. Also the pay by debit/credit system is being rolled out. You don't have to pay for a whole month anymore.
Sure but what's the revenue model is 50% of monthly pass holders don't come back? That's my point

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Sure but what's the revenue model is 50% of monthly pass holders don't come back? That's my point
Not going to happen. People will return. Life will resume.

It's amazing how hyper-sensitive suburban car drivers are with transit ridership numbers though. Considering how many suburban roads sit empty 90% of the time. Maybe we should start closing down entire roads or reducing multi-lane roads to one lane? After all they aren't being used to their full capacity. Start the road reductions!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 1:03 PM

Yesterday was 4-20... now your response makes sense to me

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Yesterday was 4-20... now your response makes sense to me
LOL. See how stupid it sounds to take away services to car drivers, but how rational people will try and make it sound to take away services to transit users. Unfortunately the sarcasm is lost on many.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 3:48 PM

NCC Long-Term Integrated Interprovincial Crossings Plan for Canada’s Capital Region

Survey available until November 24:

https://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/projects/long-...-crossing-plan

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 3:28 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Sixth bridge won't solve downtown truck problems, NCC report says
"To achieve greater reductions and better manage goods movement, more measures will be required."

Blair Crawford, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Nov 09, 2021 • 1 hour ago • 3 minute read

Getting trucks out of downtown Ottawa will take more than building a new bridge over the Ottawa River, warns a draft report from the National Capital Commission on the plan for a new interprovincial crossing.

“Building a new crossing would divert some heavy truck demand, however, there would still be a significant volume of heavy trucks in the core,” said the report released Tuesday.

A new bridge in the east end crossing at Kettle Island would only divert about 15 per cent of the truck traffic currently using the King Edward-Rideau-Waller-Nicolas route, the report said. A bridge in the west end would only reduce it by eight per cent.

“To achieve greater reductions and better manage goods movement, more measures will be required,” the report said: for example changing truck routes or current “logistics practices.”

But it is clear that something must be done if the National Capital Region is to avoid interprovincial gridlock by 2050.

“Based on the existing conditions and anticipated conditions, if current trends hold, the NCR with face significant transportation challenges in 2050 if no action is taken,” the report said.

Rideau-Vanier Coun. Mathieu Fleury has long lobbied for a solution to the noisy, dirty and dangerous truck traffic that lumbers through his ward every day.

“You just have to stand at the corner of Waller and Rideau and you’ll see how scary it is,” Fleury said.

In 2014, the city commissioned a feasibility study for a tunnel to carry car and truck traffic across the river. But, with changes in government federally and provincially, the idea has gone nowhere.

“At some point we have to ask, ‘Do they ever plan to build a bridge? Yes or no? And if they do, where is it going to be located?'” Fleury said.

“People are tired of studies, particularly on the bridge and truck issues. If it’s something that’s recommended, then they want it funded. And, if it’s not, then leave it and move on.”

The NCC report says all five bridges are already at or above capacity during morning rush hour and warns the problem is only getting worse. Some 51,000 trips are made across the river each day, with the Macdonald-Cartier Bridge being the busiest, carrying 36 per cent of all traffic.

Population growth is outpacing job growth in Gatineau, while Ottawa is adding more jobs than people, which will only mean more congestion on the bridges, the report said. Overall population and employment in the NCR are expected to grow by 40 per cent and 60 per cent, respectively, by 2050.

“This could result in a 50-per-cent increase in number of people travelling between the provinces,” the report noted.

But much has changed in just the few years since the NCC was pushing to build a sixth crossing in Ottawa’s east end. While work-from-home during the pandemic has reduced commuter traffic, the rise of delivery services like Amazon and Uber Eats has put more vehicles on the road. And, while public transit use is up along with “active transportation” — walking and bicycling — it won’t be enough to ease congestion.

One suggestion the report does say bears examining is a regional body to oversee transportation planning and get all levels of government — federal, provincial and municipal — onside. Regional transportation governance is already in place in cities like Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto and Montreal.

Regional governance “would provide opportunities to further expand collaboration and coordination while potentially taking a greater role in the planning, construction and delivery of infrastructure,” the report said. “This warrants further study and discussion to create a ‘Made in the NCR’ solution.”

Mike Trudeau, chair of the Manor Park Community Association Bridge Committee, said he was encouraged to see the report maintain a new bridge wouldn’t solve the truck problem.

“I think the study makes it pretty clear that there is not a compelling case for a $2-billion bridge to funnel the truck traffic through Manor Park,” Trudeau said. “That’s not going to solve the problem, while at the same time creating a whole new tranche of problems fo the community of Manor Park.”

The NCC is accepting public submissions on the report online. Links to the report and the public survey can be found at ncc-ccn.gc.ca

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...cc-report-says

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Sixth bridge won't solve downtown truck problems, NCC report says
"To achieve greater reductions and better manage goods movement, more measures will be required."

Blair Crawford, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Nov 09, 2021 • 1 hour ago • 3 minute read

Getting trucks out of downtown Ottawa will take more than building a new bridge over the Ottawa River, warns a draft report from the National Capital Commission on the plan for a new interprovincial crossing.

“Building a new crossing would divert some heavy truck demand, however, there would still be a significant volume of heavy trucks in the core,” said the report released Tuesday.

A new bridge in the east end crossing at Kettle Island would only divert about 15 per cent of the truck traffic currently using the King Edward-Rideau-Waller-Nicolas route, the report said. A bridge in the west end would only reduce it by eight per cent.

“To achieve greater reductions and better manage goods movement, more measures will be required,” the report said: for example changing truck routes or current “logistics practices.”

But it is clear that something must be done if the National Capital Region is to avoid interprovincial gridlock by 2050.

“Based on the existing conditions and anticipated conditions, if current trends hold, the NCR with face significant transportation challenges in 2050 if no action is taken,” the report said.

Rideau-Vanier Coun. Mathieu Fleury has long lobbied for a solution to the noisy, dirty and dangerous truck traffic that lumbers through his ward every day.

“You just have to stand at the corner of Waller and Rideau and you’ll see how scary it is,” Fleury said.

In 2014, the city commissioned a feasibility study for a tunnel to carry car and truck traffic across the river. But, with changes in government federally and provincially, the idea has gone nowhere.

“At some point we have to ask, ‘Do they ever plan to build a bridge? Yes or no? And if they do, where is it going to be located?'” Fleury said.

“People are tired of studies, particularly on the bridge and truck issues. If it’s something that’s recommended, then they want it funded. And, if it’s not, then leave it and move on.”

The NCC report says all five bridges are already at or above capacity during morning rush hour and warns the problem is only getting worse. Some 51,000 trips are made across the river each day, with the Macdonald-Cartier Bridge being the busiest, carrying 36 per cent of all traffic.

Population growth is outpacing job growth in Gatineau, while Ottawa is adding more jobs than people, which will only mean more congestion on the bridges, the report said. Overall population and employment in the NCR are expected to grow by 40 per cent and 60 per cent, respectively, by 2050.

“This could result in a 50-per-cent increase in number of people travelling between the provinces,” the report noted.

But much has changed in just the few years since the NCC was pushing to build a sixth crossing in Ottawa’s east end. While work-from-home during the pandemic has reduced commuter traffic, the rise of delivery services like Amazon and Uber Eats has put more vehicles on the road. And, while public transit use is up along with “active transportation” — walking and bicycling — it won’t be enough to ease congestion.

One suggestion the report does say bears examining is a regional body to oversee transportation planning and get all levels of government — federal, provincial and municipal — onside. Regional transportation governance is already in place in cities like Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto and Montreal.

Regional governance “would provide opportunities to further expand collaboration and coordination while potentially taking a greater role in the planning, construction and delivery of infrastructure,” the report said. “This warrants further study and discussion to create a ‘Made in the NCR’ solution.”

Mike Trudeau, chair of the Manor Park Community Association Bridge Committee, said he was encouraged to see the report maintain a new bridge wouldn’t solve the truck problem.

“I think the study makes it pretty clear that there is not a compelling case for a $2-billion bridge to funnel the truck traffic through Manor Park,” Trudeau said. “That’s not going to solve the problem, while at the same time creating a whole new tranche of problems fo the community of Manor Park.”

The NCC is accepting public submissions on the report online. Links to the report and the public survey can be found at ncc-ccn.gc.ca

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...cc-report-says
So... ban trucks from using the Chaudière and/or MC bridges then! Despite what the Manor Park CA says a new bridge is needed in the east end. Especially once the Alexandra bridge is being replaced.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation