HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 3:55 PM
Awesome!

Since Ottawa doesn't have a plan really - and maybe there will be no plan until Very Scary Larry is no longer the mayor - it was a good thing that Gatineau did approve their transit project. Inside Gatineau, we have our gridlock issues for crossings of the Gatineau River during both rush hours. I would have hope that they start the project once the snow will melt next spring (if we have snow - I'm saying, because we are having a hard time having even a single flake flying this year) so it would be done by the fall of 2009 or the start of the new 2010 year.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 7:53 PM
Mooderator

I'm all for this project if it will indeed bring more densification at its proposed stations (a la Minto Metropole? maybe). We can't wait forever for a consensus with Ottawa.. the city is growing fast... something's got to give.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 8:50 PM
National Capital Region

I'm curious: where exactly was Gatineau/STO in the early 2000s when Ottawa went through its 20/20 Master Plan process? It's all very well to laugh at us on the south side following the debacle of the NSLRT project, but where exactly was the north side *before* that project was conceived?

Not only that, but Gatineau seems completely oblivious to the effect that its participation could have on the overall transit picture in the NCR. Imagine instead of Rapibus that Gatineau had made serious noises about a rail-based system. Imagine if Gatineau/STO had headed to transit committee and Ottawa City Council with such a proposal and asking to head over the PoW Bridge with trains (I'm talking about a few years ago, when NSLRT hadn't been finalized and Rapibus was in its infancy). What would have been the impact of that kind of broadmindedness on Gatineau's part upon Ottawa? It probably would have forced both cities to sort out their mutual downtown problems instead of ignoring them as both NSLRT and Rapibus do. We could probably have secured more funds from both provinces and the feds than the sum of both projects did in isolation. We might be tunnelling through downtown Ottawa right now and running trains both ways across the river.

What gets me the most about Rapibus is ... how dumb it is to repeat our mistakes when we're right across the river. We made them first! Learn from us! Don't repeat our mistakes! Show us up, for once. Show some leadership, some initiative. But nooo... Gatineau/STO has to *follow* Ottawa/OC Transpo and go off and repeat the same idiotic mistakes that we did, except a quarter century later. It's exasperating.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 9:00 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post

I'm curious: where exactly was Gatineau/STO in the early 2000s when Ottawa went through its 20/20 Master Plan process? It's all very well to laugh at us on the south side following the debacle of the NSLRT project, but where exactly was the north side *before* that project was conceived?
Beats me. I just moved here a year ago.

I'm just happy something is going ahead in this region, finally. Face it - if we were one big happy region with one government would we be even having this conflict? The fact that so many levels of bureaucracy are involved does nothing to speed up the process.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 10:34 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post

Not only that, but Gatineau seems completely oblivious to the effect that its participation could have on the overall transit picture in the NCR. Imagine instead of Rapibus that Gatineau had made serious noises about a rail-based system. Imagine if Gatineau/STO had headed to transit committee and Ottawa City Council with such a proposal and asking to head over the PoW Bridge with trains (I'm talking about a few years ago, when NSLRT hadn't been finalized and Rapibus was in its infancy). What would have been the impact of that kind of broadmindedness on Gatineau's part upon Ottawa? It probably would have forced both cities to sort out their mutual downtown problems instead of ignoring them as both NSLRT and Rapibus do. We could probably have secured more funds from both provinces and the feds than the sum of both projects did in isolation. We might be tunnelling through downtown Ottawa right now and running trains both ways across the river.

What gets me the most about Rapibus is ... how dumb it is to repeat our mistakes when we're right across the river. We made them first! Learn from us! Don't repeat our mistakes! Show us up, for once. Show some leadership, some initiative. But nooo... Gatineau/STO has to *follow* Ottawa/OC Transpo and go off and repeat the same idiotic mistakes that we did, except a quarter century later. It's exasperating.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 5:09 AM
National Capital Region

Was that supposed to be funny?

I don't see the humour, I really don't. Here we have a city committing millions towards a failed concept that has been proved to fail just on the other side of the river. Just like its failed older sibling, it will dump scores of buses at the edge of its downtown and the downtown of its neighbour with nowhere to go but congested streets and bridges.

The point about my hypothetical, as you are obviously too thick to see it considering your inane response, is that Gatineau could actually make a useful contribution to the transit infrastructure of this region if it tried a bit, rather than just trying to find a way of dumping a load of buses on the other bank of the river.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 5:29 AM
R2-D2's army of death

I didn't elaborate on it in my plan for Gatineau(I really should organize and create one), but my vision for Gatineau is the following.

Rapibus from Lorraine to Montcalm/UQO/Maisonneuve.

Commuter Line 1: This will run from Buckingham to Massons-Angers, two stops in Gatineau, St. Joseph Boul., and Montcalm/UQO at base of PoW Bridge.

Commuter Line 2: Will run from Wakefield to Chelsea to Boul. St. Joseph to new UQO Bus station/campus area near PoW Bridge.

Tram line that runs from Galeries De Hull to Place Aubry by being on-street down St. Joseph, Montcalm and Promenade du Portage.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 5:52 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I fail to see how anyone could describe the Transitway as being a failure. Ottawa has some of the highest % of transit usage in all of North America.

Sure, the Transitway was built for 1980s Ottawa and now that the city has grown, matured and densified, it’s time to think about converting the system to some type of rail, I agree.

But to suggest that the Transitway hasn’t done its job over the past quarter century is a fallacy, especially given the fact that Ottawa (and the Region of Ottawa-Carleton before it), has never stopped fostering sprawl-type urban development policies in both its residential and office development, all of which has allowed people and especially jobs to move out of the central area into zones that are very difficult to serve with any type of public transport. Couple that with the fact that Ottawa never had the courage to address the vital missing Transitway link that is the mess on Albert and Slater streets in the downtown core.

So all in all, and in spite of the many strikes against it, the Transitway has served Ottawa pretty well.

Especially if one considers that the ultimate goal of an urban public transportation plan is to move large numbers of people, PERIOD. The goal is not to move large numbers of people by only using someone’s pet transportation mode.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 6:00 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Especially if one considers that the ultimate goal of an urban public transportation plan is to move large numbers of people, PERIOD. The goal is not to move large numbers of people by only using someone’s pet transportation mode.
I think there are other worthwhile goals of transit, but I do agree that a lot of people seem to lose site of this larger picture.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 3:45 PM
Mooderator

Councillor wants the Rapibus to be extended to Aylmer..

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...4/6784/CPDROIT

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Councillor wants the Rapibus to be extended to Aylmer..

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...4/6784/CPDROIT
Can't blame them for wanting a better connection to the West... what are the options though? Remove Lucerne and replace it with a Rapibus Lane/Rail Line? That's the only option I can see - which isn't all bad since it would hit the Park and Rides at Rivermead, St-Dominique as well as pass through the UQO.

Traffic doesn't seem too bad heading to and fro Alymer (maybe because I don't go there during rush hour).

Plus wouldn't the proper plan be to build a western bridge rather than bring more people into the downtown core?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 5:45 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman View Post
Can't blame them for wanting a better connection to the West... what are the options though? Remove Lucerne and replace it with a Rapibus Lane/Rail Line? That's the only option I can see - which isn't all bad since it would hit the Park and Rides at Rivermead, St-Dominique as well as pass through the UQO.

Traffic doesn't seem too bad heading to and fro Alymer (maybe because I don't go there during rush hour).

Plus wouldn't the proper plan be to build a western bridge rather than bring more people into the downtown core?
A line along Lucerne would make sense, but that ship sailed when they ripped up the tracks and replaced them with a bike path. The Rivermead Parc-o-bus is still a fair walk from Lucerne. I wish I could find some old pics of the streetcars that used to run from Hull to Vanier Rd..

Traffic is only really bad approaching the Champlain Bridge, IMO.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 2:46 PM

I remember seeing a report for a guided bus system for Downtown Hull, and Ottawa.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 5:10 PM
Still optimistic

I still think that the only way we will get transit to the south of Aylmer will be with ULR...

Does the rapibus project have a plan to convert it?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 8:45 PM

I wonder how much actual analysis people put into their comments, or whether they are simply thoughtlessly repeating the mantra ‘Bus Bad – Train Good’.

I'm pulling up the Gatineau’s Rapibus system is an excellent example. A quick scan of several transit threads will turn up a number of very negative comments about how Gatineau is crazy to make the same mistake Ottawa did; that they are building a busway right beside a “friggen” railway track; that they should have built their new system as LRT since people need to transfer onto the BRT buses any way. ‘Bus Bad – Train Good’.

The main line from Labrosse to Alexandre-Taché could have been built as rail, but then where would people go? LRT passengers would be forced to transfer back onto a bus to get to Ottawa. “Well, they just need to build a tram into downtown Ottawa”, comes the response. And just how is the STO supposed to build anything through the core of Ottawa? Seriously, how much thinking goes on before these ideas are uttered?

STO, Gatineau, or the Province of Quebec has no authority to build a rail line into Ottawa.

They could, potentially, use the existing line across the Prince of Wales Bridge, but it is a single track to a Transitway station which will be closed down, torn out, and not ready for another five years – and even after that, their customers will be forced to transfer onto crowded trains along the Confederation Line. GREAT! This sounds like an awesome idea for encouraging people to use their new rapid transit service.

In truth, there is no reasonable option but to continue to use STO buses into Ottawa’s downtown. So, if their customers must use buses to cross the river, and that accounts for a large part of the market that they are trying to move, does it make sense to force everyone to transfer after a five minute LRT ride onto a bus? How much infrastructure will need to be built to handle the passenger transfer flows? Is there a better way?

Yes, there is a better way; simply put people on a bus and take them into Ottawa without the extra transfer. But not in a system of Express buses; the new system would use neighbourhood ‘collector’ buses to bring customers to their closest Rapibus station. Once the ‘collector’, or ‘feeder’, buses have concentrated the customers at the stations, they transfer onto frequent larger ‘Trunk-line’ buses. The bus to Ottawa will be one of the three ‘Trunk’ lines running on the Rapibus infrastructure. Anyone going to Ottawa will simply hop on the next Red-line bus and they will be whisked across the bridge to downtown Ottawa. Anyone traveling from Ottawa’s core to Gatineau can hop on any STO Rapibus vehicle passing, since they all travel the same route. There is no longer any waiting for a particular Express bus; they just take the first bus and transfer from their closest Rapibus station.

I would be interested to hear any good arguments about how Gatineau could have developed a rail based rapid transit system at this time. To me, they have made the most reasonable decisions they could have, given the limitations they faced. I am not looking for ‘magic wand’ options, like creating a new tunnel under Gatineau’s downtown , under the river, and under Ottawa; these are not in anyway realistic

Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 9:06 PM

About the O-Train and Prince of Wales Bridge, if that were built, it would create a direct transfer opportunity to the Rapibus Hull route at Montcalm, and if two stations are built, also an opportunity to a transfer at Tache-UQO for the direct crosstown route.

That would be highly advantageous for the following reasons - both operational and development-based:

1) Those working in Gatineau and living in the south end would have a direct, high-speed connection with only a short walk from Montcalm/Tache - transfers from local routes at South Keys or Greenboro (or any other station) would quickly send them directly to Gatineau without going into downtown Ottawa.

2) Those living in Gatineau and working in the south end - especially Confederation Heights - would no longer have to go downtown, and would have a quick transfer from the Rapibus and a 12 to 15 minute trip remaining. Currently, the travel time from central Hull to Confederation - via STO routes and Route 4 or 87 - is at least 30 to 40 minutes including a walk of 3 to 4 blocks, depending on traffic and walking speeds. For most, that would be a saving of at least 20 to 30 minutes (and, for some, cutting transfers by one).

3) Central Hull might be attractive to Carleton University students looking for cheaper rent for the same reasons as above - saving at least 20 to 30 minutes of travel time.

4) Fewer buses would be necessary on Route 105, as a transfer to the O-Train would be more convenient for most, with a save of resources. Some 105 service would still be necessary, but not nearly as much.

5) Fewer buses would be needed on Rideau and Wellington Streets. Some who come from Gatineau would make the transfer to the O-Train (either to go west or south, even if one more transfer). The STO may then find it ideal to reduce the number of Ottawa-bound buses during rush hour as they would only service those going downtown (or perhaps to local OC Transpo routes at the Rideau Centre), which would be a save of resources for the STO as well.

6) It is well-known that train-based rapid transit is more attract to future development. As a result, that could make central Hull a more attractive location for condos and businesses, especially given the lower rents there.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Eade View Post
The main line from Labrosse to Alexandre-Taché could have been built as rail, but then where would people go? LRT passengers would be forced to transfer back onto a bus to get to Ottawa. “Well, they just need to build a tram into downtown Ottawa”, comes the response. And just how is the STO supposed to build anything through the core of Ottawa?
Maybe by picking up the phone and calling Ottawa?

It's amazing how isolated the planning of the two cities is from one another.

Quote:
STO, Gatineau, or the Province of Quebec has no authority to build a rail line into Ottawa.
And?

Quote:
They could, potentially, use the existing line across the Prince of Wales Bridge, but it is a single track to a Transitway station which will be closed down, torn out, and not ready for another five years – and even after that, their customers will be forced to transfer onto crowded trains along the Confederation Line. GREAT! This sounds like an awesome idea for encouraging people to use their new rapid transit service.
Rail with transfer still beats the hell out of buses.

Quote:
In truth, there is no reasonable option but to continue to use STO buses into Ottawa’s downtown.
In part, because of Ottawa's choices. Seriously; do the two cities and two provinces not know that the telephone exists?

Quote:
Yes, there is a better way; simply put people on a bus and take them into Ottawa without the extra transfer. But not in a system of Express buses; the new system would use neighbourhood ‘collector’ buses to bring customers to their closest Rapibus station. Once the ‘collector’, or ‘feeder’, buses have concentrated the customers at the stations, they transfer onto frequent larger ‘Trunk-line’ buses.
But we're told that's unpossible in Ottawa. It's possibler in Gatineau?

Quote:
I would be interested to hear any good arguments about how Gatineau could have developed a rail based rapid transit system at this time.
By getting on the blower to Ottawa (the city), Ottawa (the feds) and Quebec City, and getting the O-train extended north along the existing rail line and deep into Gatineau. The capital cost for the rail infrastructure (not counting rolling stock) couldn't have been much worse than the Crappybus project that involved relocating the rail line.

Simple. Elegant. Sensible. And in Ottawa-Gatineau, impossible.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 3:37 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I wonder how much actual analysis people put into their comments, or whether they are simply thoughtlessly repeating the mantra ‘Bus Bad – Train Good’.

I'm pulling up the Gatineau’s Rapibus system is an excellent example. A quick scan of several transit threads will turn up a number of very negative comments about how Gatineau is crazy to make the same mistake Ottawa did; that they are building a busway right beside a “friggen” railway track; that they should have built their new system as LRT since people need to transfer onto the BRT buses any way. ‘Bus Bad – Train Good’.

The main line from Labrosse to Alexandre-Taché could have been built as rail, but then where would people go? LRT passengers would be forced to transfer back onto a bus to get to Ottawa. “Well, they just need to build a tram into downtown Ottawa”, comes the response. And just how is the STO supposed to build anything through the core of Ottawa? Seriously, how much thinking goes on before these ideas are uttered?

In truth, there is no reasonable option but to continue to use STO buses into Ottawa’s downtown. So, if their customers must use buses to cross the river, and that accounts for a large part of the market that they are trying to move, does it make sense to force everyone to transfer after a five minute LRT ride onto a bus? How much infrastructure will need to be built to handle the passenger transfer flows? Is there a better way?

Yes, there is a better way; simply put people on a bus and take them into Ottawa without the extra transfer. But not in a system of Express buses; the new system would use neighbourhood ‘collector’ buses to bring customers to their closest Rapibus station. Once the ‘collector’, or ‘feeder’, buses have concentrated the customers at the stations, they transfer onto frequent larger ‘Trunk-line’ buses. The bus to Ottawa will be one of the three ‘Trunk’ lines running on the Rapibus infrastructure. Anyone going to Ottawa will simply hop on the next Red-line bus and they will be whisked across the bridge to downtown Ottawa. Anyone traveling from Ottawa’s core to Gatineau can hop on any STO Rapibus vehicle passing, since they all travel the same route. There is no longer any waiting for a particular Express bus; they just take the first bus and transfer from their closest Rapibus station.

I would be interested to hear any good arguments about how Gatineau could have developed a rail based rapid transit system at this time. To me, they have made the most reasonable decisions they could have, given the limitations they faced. I am not looking for ‘magic wand’ options, like creating a new tunnel under Gatineau’s downtown , under the river, and under Ottawa; these are not in anyway realistic
Thanks for a very honest assessment of the Rapibus project and why it was chosen. Most of the comments here are very quick-handed and simply want Gatineau to embark on Ottawa's train: "Gatineau should simply do like Ottawa and then everything would be fine."

I myself am not totally convinced about the Rapibus, although I don't really have a better idea and am eager to see it in action this fall and willing to give it a chance to prove itself.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 4:51 PM

Quote:

Now let's flip this around by 180 degrees. Because, what Richard is talking about is what is planned (and even worse) for the south end of the city.

The last I have heard is that we will have a Transitway from Hurdman to South Keys and a Transitway from Leitrim to Barrhaven. and the O-Train from Leitrim to Bayview. Everywhere pretty well requires a transfer.

How many transfers are we expected to put up with especially during off-peak hours? Trains will not be running every 3 minutes in off-peak hours, in the case of the O-Train they will not be running at that frequency any time. They will be running likely every 15 minutes instead during off-peak hours and late at night every 30 minutes on the O-Train.

I will get back to my old argument that speed of service from start to end of our trips is more important than whether it is a train or a bus. I realize that rail will affect the design of the city but what about the 100,000s of taxpayers who will never live within walking distance of rail. Why are our concerns ignored?

At some point, my city councillor (Diane Deans) will hear from me about this because I am funding these rail projects that are not going to deliver faster service to the majority of the population.

Yes, make us wait to transfer (often multiple times), but when it gets too long, day in and day out, we will find an alternate way to get around the city.

So, apply my thoughts to what Richard is talking about. I am being quite practical about this. People are not going to put up with waiting much longer, just because it is a train.

And I think Richard also makes a point that I have made in the past about transfers at Bayview and the fact that trains will be overcrowded for those few stops into downtown. We can make Bayview a mega transfer station but this will become a major bottleneck for passengers and wait times could become unacceptable if you have to wait while more than one full train passes. It is also a point of efficiency since you have to build your system to handle the maximum load on the line. When you force thousands to transfer at Bayview and 90% are going in the same direction, you need enough trains to handle that load but outside of that small section between Bayview and downtown, you are running more trains than are necessary and there is a cost of doing that.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Thanks for a very honest assessment of the Rapibus project and why it was chosen. Most of the comments here are very quick-handed and simply want Gatineau to embark on Ottawa's train: "Gatineau should simply do like Ottawa and then everything would be fine."
That statement comes close to the root of the problem in this metropolitan region. Here's a reality: Gatineau is a suburb/satellite city of Ottawa. As much as the Quebecois nationalists there, and the francophone bashers over here, want to think otherwise, it's true. Gatineau should be treated the same as Kanata--as an Ottawa suburb. As such rapid transit to Gatineau should be provided as part of Ottawa's rapid transit network.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation