HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 4:49 PM
Awesome!

best bars/pubs in Ottawa and area?

This is something not seen here in this section. What are the best or worst bars and pubs in the city.

The more recent ones I went was the Aubdubliner (which is paired with the Poor House and is similar to Heart & Crown on Preston) in the Market and the Lieutenant's Pump on Elgin. The first appear to be better because it was more open and the group was not spread out over a distance and was able to greet with most people. The Pump while it is great, I find it too cramped (I might post a pic from last night's showing that) and for a group of 50-60 it was quite challenging at times to navigate through the area (there was a Sens game last night too so probably why it is was more crowded than usual). The first hour or so I was with the same group of girls until the rest of the mass arrived and it was cramped till about 10 PM. Overall despite the cramping and overcrowding it was relatively good, though the first two hours and the last one were probably the better ones.

Though both places the food was good so as the beer though I only ate appetizers (including wings and brownies) and not the main dishes that some of the ladies which arrived before me. Note that the Pump does sell Beau's.

I found many of the Royal Oaks to be cramped as well or the group was too spread out like a couple of years ago at the one on Slater/Kent.

Anyone have any opinion about which bars are the best (or if you want the opposite, the worst)
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
This is something not seen here in this section. What are the best or worst bars and pubs in the city.

The more recent ones I went was the Aubdubliner (which is paired with the Poor House and is similar to Heart & Crown on Preston) in the Market and the Lieutenant's Pump on Elgin. The first appear to be better because it was more open and the group was not spread out over a distance and was able to greet with most people. The Pump while it is great, I find it too cramped (I might post a pic from last night's showing that) and for a group of 50-60 it was quite challenging at times to navigate through the area (there was a Sens game last night too so probably why it is was more crowded than usual). The first hour or so I was with the same group of girls until the rest of the mass arrived and it was cramped till about 10 PM. Overall despite the cramping and overcrowding it was relatively good, though the first two hours and the last one were probably the better ones.

Though both places the food was good so as the beer though I only ate appetizers (including wings and brownies) and not the main dishes that some of the ladies which arrived before me. Note that the Pump does sell Beau's.

I found many of the Royal Oaks to be cramped as well or the group was too spread out like a couple of years ago at the one on Slater/Kent.

Anyone have any opinion about which bars are the best (or if you want the opposite, the worst)

On Elgin, the best bar is the Manx, but if you're a large group, either Sir John A's or The Standard.

In the Market, Chez Lucien, but there probably isn't even capacity for 60 people total. I would go for the Brig, the Clocktower, the Earl of Sussex or if its summer, its hard to beat the patio at the Black Thorn.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 9:02 PM

If you have a big group, 3 Brewers at Sparks and Bank is huge (although I don't like the beer as much as some of the the other brew pubs). A Biergarten is also supposed to open on Sparks, which looks like it will also be huge. Pour House on Somerset might have trouble accommodating a group that size, but they have German-style seating which could be interesting if you're there earlier. Irene's pub in the Glebe is pretty big at the back and has good beer (and a little more atmosphere than various chain pubs).

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 9:21 PM
R2-D2's army of death

The Manx, P&Q, Pub Italia, and Mill St. have been the best beers and best foods in the pub scene in my experience. I'm always down to expand my pub horizons though.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 3:17 PM
Busy Beaver

The best beer and pub food I've had in the region is at Brasseurs du Temps in Hull. The beers amazing, with finely-crafted subtle flavours. Their sample flight of 12 beers ("l'Horloge") is worth a try if you want to taste most of the beers they have on offer. The menu is constantly changing so there's always something new.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 5:29 PM

Um, is there a theme here? Ottawa, home to 1000 pubs. How 1980s.

Best places for drinks: Elgin is the Manx, Market Chez Lucien. Best going out is Mercury Lounge.

But there a few non, lets grab a beer places that are decent, which is too bad.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 2:28 AM

For my money, I prefer Brasserie des Temps or Pub Italia. If I'm just going to be drinking Keith's or Rickard's, I'd prefer to have people over and save money. That being said, I do enjoy the Standard, Blackthorn, the Manx and the Pump.

Even the Royal Oaks have a certain charm. Everyone I know really likes the first one they visit; it is only when people realize that they are a chain that the tune changes.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 3:08 AM

I generally lean towards more rough around the edges / historic bars when I'm in the mood. Love the Prescott, Carleton, Dominion; hate faux Irish pubs, and generally don't go to overpriced, underserved 'hip' places where a bottle of domestic is over $7 and I have to pay a cover to enjoy the inside of the place.

I did go to 3 Brewers the other week and was pleasantly surprised. Their beer was good, menu/food looked great and quite reasonably priced. Also, specials for different nights of the week, a feature I like.

I also like Patty Bolands in the market - on Clarence Street, I think. Also specials there, and sometimes some live music.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOexpat View Post
Um, is there a theme here? Ottawa, home to 1000 pubs. How 1980s.

Best places for drinks: Elgin is the Manx, Market Chez Lucien. Best going out is Mercury Lounge.

But there a few non, lets grab a beer places that are decent, which is too bad.
The question was best pubs...so yeah, recommendations here are about "lets grab a beer."

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 1:12 PM

Just went to the Senate Tavern on Clarence. Great sports bar, and the food is excellent.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 1:53 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Outside of the central area, Big Rig at Greenbank/Iris is quite acceptable.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 2:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I am a bit weary of the faux Irish pubs as too many people seem to think it's the best Ottawa has to offer when it comes to nightlife.

Not saying that Ottawa doesn't have any other types of nightlife (and that some of them aren't good), but things do seem to lean inordinately or disproportionately to the faux Irish pubs.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 3:03 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

I interpreted the thread question as asking where to go for a good beer/pub-style outing. If the question was more generally about night-life, a "pub" would be at or near the bottom of my list.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 3:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
I interpreted the thread question as asking where to go for a good beer/pub-style outing. If the question was more generally about night-life, a "pub" would be at or near the bottom of my list.
Sorry I gave the impression I was responding to you specifically. I was referring to the general spirit of the thread, and nightlife in Ottawa in general.

Not surprised by your preferences BTW - since we're friends now I suppose we'll feel the same way about a lot of things!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 5:35 PM

Um, seems to have quite explicitly been bars or pubs, and more generally going out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
The question was best pubs...so yeah, recommendations here are about "lets grab a beer."

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 6:47 PM

Some places I enjoy going for drinks (some of these are food places but they are good if you want a drink and small snack)

Chez Lucien
Brothers Beer Bistro
Chateau Lafayette
Black Tomato
Sir John A
The Manx
Lieutenants Pump (beer selection has really improved recently)
El Camino
Union 613 (the speakeasy in the basement is nice if you can get in - small and always busy)
Atomic Rooster
Raw Sugar
Shanghai
The Daily Grind
Hintonburg Public House
Moonroom
Trio

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 7:01 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

No love or hate for D'Arcy McGee's on here? If there is, I missed it.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
No love or hate for D'Arcy McGee's on here? If there is, I missed it.
I love D'arcy's! They have great specials on Thursday and Friday!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation