HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 28, 2008, 12:32 AM

^what do you mean, what's the situation?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 2:56 AM
BANNED

it's bidding, on-hold or underconstruction?
And more...

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 3:50 AM
Karma Police

It's under construction.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 9:38 PM

Two new services were announced today!

Air Canada will provide a daily CRJ-700 service to Calgary from June 15th

Alaska will start thrice weekly services on a 737-800 to Maui commencing August 7th.

That's quite a vote of confidence in these difficult times.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 10:23 PM

[QUOTE=Pavlov's Dog;4065543]Two new services were announced today!

Air Canada will provide a daily CRJ-700 service to Calgary from June 15th

QUOTE]

Been waiting for this one for 30 years!!!!!

(Yes, I'm a die-hard airline fanatic who has been keeping track of PDX service for over 30 years.)

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 7:33 AM
Karma Police

rsbear- Love your signature line. Right on the money.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2009, 4:00 AM

Air Canada is expanding their West Coast service to several new markets in '09. They just announced that they will begin daily Airbus A320 service from Orange County John Wayne Airport to Vancouver in April, their first entry into the Orange County market.

Virgin America is also beginning service at John Wayne in April, with several flights a day to their hub in San Francisco. Sadly, Virgin America hasn't started service to PDX yet, but I sent them an email asking them to consider it last summer.

That same email six months ago had my request about starting service out of John Wayne too, so maybe they are listening to me?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 11:23 PM

the port of portland is doing its best to drum up more support for PDX International flights.

(PDX 'Be a Superhero' mini-site)

I think there is a real possibility the Amsterdam flight goes away as Delta gobbles up Northwest.

I just booked the Lufthansa Frankfurt flight for June, so I'm doing my part.
If you are flying international, make sure you take one of the non-stops we so dearly love!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2009, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
the port of portland is doing its best to drum up more support for PDX International flights.

(PDX 'Be a Superhero' mini-site)

I think there is a real possibility the Amsterdam flight goes away as Delta gobbles up Northwest.

I just booked the Lufthansa Frankfurt flight for June, so I'm doing my part.
If you are flying international, make sure you take one of the non-stops we so dearly love!
I am really worried that we will lose one or both of these flights. Lufthansa may go first. They started Seattle in September last year, I believe it was. So would not be at all surprised if they leave. Delta of course has pulled out before wouldn't be surprised if they pull out again.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 12:27 AM

i just did a search yesterday - lufthansa to fra is like $510, klm to ams is around $700. i don't know if the low price reflects desparation due to low ticket sales or if they can offer a lower price because their planes are more full. if i had the vacation time, i'd be on one of those planes tomorrow.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
i just did a search yesterday - lufthansa to fra is like $510, klm to ams is around $700. i don't know if the low price reflects desparation due to low ticket sales or if they can offer a lower price because their planes are more full. if i had the vacation time, i'd be on one of those planes tomorrow.
That's incredible!

My ticket to Tokyo (didn't go through Northwest) was over $1000 and I bought it a month and a half in advance.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 6:02 PM

if there is a loss of service, it should be the ams flight first.

LH carries a ton of cargo, and I believe they will be increasing service more than usual this year.

lots of people are predicting that as Delta has said they will be cutting TATL flights more this summer.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 4:33 PM

Was at the airport yesterday (3/24) and the glass had started to go up on the new parking garage and Port of Portland HQ.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 8:27 PM

^ I've been by there recently as well. IMO it looks like the parking garage at providence medical center off I-84.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 5:49 AM

NO!!!!! Lufthansa will end Portland-Frankfurt flight

http://blog.oregonlive.com/business_...ank/print.html

Lufthansa will end Portland-Frankfurt flight

Posted by goliver July 06, 2009 14:29PM

Stephanie Yao Long/The Oregonian

Port of Portland maintenance employee Heinrich Gerke and his four-year-old son Samuel, both German citizens, had their picture taken by Suzanne Miller, right, of the Port of Portland, during the arrival of Lufthansa's inaugural flight into Portland International Airport in March 2003.
Portland International Airport managers, dismayed that Lufthansa is suspending PDX-Frankfurt service in September, plan to pay Delta Air Lines to keep flying to Tokyo.

A Deutsche Lufthansa spokesman confirmed Monday that the German airline would halt its flights to Frankfurt after Sept.12, saying the nonstop service was losing money. The 6-year-old route, the airline's only PDX flight, fell victim to the global recession, Lufthansa's financial woes and competition from Delta's Portland-Amsterdam service.

Managers of the Port of Portland, which operates the airport, confirmed Port commissioners would vote Wednesday on a proposed $3.5 million payment to Delta. Under the agreement, which involves no tax revenues, Delta would promise to keep daily flights through May between PDX and Japan's Narita International Airport.

Port officials' eagerness for the unprecedented cash deal shows the high priority they place on international service. Delta's Tokyo flights pump more than $60 million a year into the regional economy, according to the Port, keeping Portland on the world map for business and leisure travel.
"It's unique, but this is a time to be aggressive," Bill Wyatt, Port of Portland executive director, said of the emerging Delta deal. "There is reason for optimism that this will bridge us to a time when the economy improves."

JAMIE FRANCIS/THE OREGONIAN

Lufthansa will end nonstop flights between Portland International Airport and Frankfurt, Germany, as the airline slashes costs worldwide amid slumping demand. The final flights will be Sept. 12.

Port managers want to avoid a return to the days early this decade when PDX -- once an Asian gateway for Delta -- kept the "international" in its name only by virtue of short hops to Vancouver, B.C.

Port and business leaders scrambled to recruit international carriers in 2002, landing Lufthansa, which launched the next year. The Port offered risk-mitigation and marketing-support packages to any airline that would restore nonstop service to Asia.

Northwest Airlines responded, launching Tokyo service in 2004. Last year, Northwest started its Amsterdam flights. Delta inherited those routes when it acquired Northwest last October.

However, PDX is handicapped by its relatively small market.

Portland is the smallest U.S. nonhub market with transoceanic service to both Europe and Asia, according to David Zielke, the Port's general manager for air-service development.

The nine-member Port commission will vote on the Delta deal during its monthly public meeting, which will begin at 9a.m. Wednesday at the agency's headquarters, 121 N.W. Everett St. Port managers will offer a similar deal to any other carrier willing to start daily nonstop service between Portland and Asia.

Managers figure that by investing in Delta's Tokyo flights, they also will encourage the Atlanta-based airline to keep its Amsterdam service. Planes can hop from the Pacific route to the Atlantic one and back.

"It's a good business decision on the Port's part and on behalf of the community," said Portland travel executive Sho Dozono, who co-chairs the International Air Service Committee. The panel, headed by Dozono, Wyatt and Ted Cullen, Nike Inc.'s global travel and events director, helps attract and retain international carriers.

Dozono, Azumano Travel president and chief executive, said fears of swine flu have compounded travel-industry troubles this year. Those fears caused a dozen Japanese tour groups to cancel on Azumano this summer.

The recession has forced Delta to suspend international service between U.S. airports and Frankfurt. Seoul, Shanghai, London and Edinburgh.
"Delta also recently informed the Port of Portland that its international gateway flights were at risk," the air-service committee co-chairs wrote in a memo circulated Monday.

Separately, Lufthansa notified the Port last weekend that it would suspend Frankfurt service after final flights Sept. 12. "It was really not an easy decision for us," said Martin Riecken, Lufthansa corporate communications director.

The airline will consider reinstating the service next year, but for now the flights lose money, Riecken said. The Port had already waived landing fees for nonstop planes arriving from overseas. Lufthansa and Port managers did not discuss potential additional incentives, Riecken said.

"Our flights were never empty," Riecken said. "But the question is really how profitable the revenue is from those passengers."

Larry Maile, of the Portland agency Travel Cuts, said Lufthansa's departure will hurt.

"People really loved that flight," Maile said. "It's nice to be able to take that 10-hour flight right to the heart of Europe, and then get a short little hop to your final destination."

Travelers already booked on Lufthansa flights after Sept. 12 will probably be rerouted through Seattle, he said, where the airline also offers Frankfurt service. Alternatives are Delta's Amsterdam route or a five-hour flight to the East Coast followed by a seven-hour flight to Europe.

Airline analysts expect Lufthansa to cut costs by as much as $1.4 billion when it announces measures July 30 to address collapsing demand.

Germany's largest airline also is trying to acquire ailing Austrian Airlines, subject to European antitrust clearance.

U.S. airline managers had hoped that deep cuts in flying this year would increase revenues. Carriers have managed to keep their planes about as full this year as last, but revenues per seat flown have dropped.
-- Richard Read; richread@aol.com

Categories: Aviation, Breaking News, Business

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 7:45 PM

I knew this was coming from the day they announced service to Seattle. Darn it all!! I never got to fly the route, I really wanted to!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 9:46 PM

I flew it twice and it was packed both times. At least we still have the KLM (Delta) flight to Amsterdam. Presumably there's less chance it will be cancelled, since they'll pick up most of Lufthansa's customers. On the other hand, it wasn't lack of customers that brought down the Lufthansa flight; lately when I've checked ticket prices it seemed to be running about $450 RT. Hard to make money with tickets that cheap.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 4:56 AM
Pacific Wonderland

And LH used an A340, most inefficient airplane in the modern sky. No surprise that they pulled out. PDX is such a marginal market, SFO to the south SEA/YVR to the north. PDX doesn't have anywhere near the feeder/corporate HQ market that a somewhat similar sized city like DEN has. Or is a huge tourist magnet like Vegas is. In this downturn, I would not be surprised at all if all intercontinental service from PDX went away, at least for a while.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 11:23 AM

I never understood how those flights made sense, even in boom times. I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Delta flights to Tokyo and Amsterdam to be gone by this winter.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 11:11 PM

sad. does this mean pdx = podunk? we have to layover to get ANYWHERE.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure