HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 5:07 AM
Community Guy

@ianoyeg

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 6:11 AM
Back from the dead

Can we get a pano of the Calgary skyline with what's under construction?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 12:45 PM
gettin' rich!

massey 208 meters

is 208 meters still tall enough for this list?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 6:42 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Nope... Massey is now #11...

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 7:41 PM
gettin' rich!

Can you post your chart?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 10:15 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

That won't help lol

The 2 Sugar Wharf towers have been added, that's what changed.

Here is the 10 Tallest U/C diagram: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=81781182

According to the diagram, 160 Front is now U/C??

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 1:23 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Nooo!! I was so hoping that Sugar Wharf would get canceled. Such dismal designs.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 1:28 AM
gettin' rich!

Most of the Toronto towers on the top 10 list are holes in the ground, if even. And one tower will be off the list in a second.

Oh well. I guesd I'll be banished to the secondary list for the next year and a bit.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 1:36 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Nooo!! I was so hoping that Sugar Wharf would get canceled. Such dismal designs.
I was hoping the same thing.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Most of the Toronto towers on the top 10 list are holes in the ground, if even. And one tower will be off the list in a second.

Oh well. I guesd I'll be banished to the secondary list for the next year and a bit.
Well The One is top down construction so you won't need to wait to long to watch it rise and i believe the CIBC Square's core is already above ground. The Residences of 488 University Avenue still has a long way to go as does Eau du Soleil.

source: https://urbantoronto.ca

Last edited by TorontoDrew; Jul 6, 2018 at 5:36 PM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 4:38 PM
Community Guy

@ianoyeg

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 5:56 PM
gettin' rich!

The One is top down construction? Awesome, I thought it was just gonna be a regular comstruction job.

Don't think, I have seen this before.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 6:16 PM
I am the law!

@TorontoDrew. How many time has someone corrected you that The One isn't top down construction? I'm not referring to myself either.

@Coltrane. You should know better as a follower of The One in this thread

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 6:40 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
That won't help lol

The 2 Sugar Wharf towers have been added, that's what changed.

Here is the 10 Tallest U/C diagram: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=81781182

According to the diagram, 160 Front is now U/C??
Thanks. 160 Front is back to proposed.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
@TorontoDrew. How many time has someone corrected you that The One isn't top down construction? I'm not referring to myself either.

@Coltrane. You should know better as a follower of The One in this thread

Who? Because I never saw those posts. People over on U.T are saying it is so no offense but I will take their word on it over some cranky old troll of mine here. One more thing, I don't need telling, especially not from you so please stop trolling me.

From urbantoronto ( for those who care to learn and not be told what to believe: http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2018/05/...llest-building
Under construction at Toronto's Yonge and Bloor intersection, Mizrahi Developments' The One promises to break more new ground with a series of firsts for the city. The project designed by Foster + Partners and Core Architects will be the city and country's tallest building upon completion, the first local instance of high-rise top-down construction, and the first large-scale use of a hybrid exoskeleton support system in Toronto.

Most recently, crews from Michael Bros Excavation have arrived on scene with two excavators that have already removed a sizeable quantity of soil from the site. The One will mark the first local instance of high-rise top-down construction. To accomplish this, basement slabs will provide lateral bracing for the perimeter foundation walls, with the ground and first below-grade level to be formed as excavation continues below. Once the ground and P1 levels take shape, the subsequent below-grade levels will then be formed from the “top down.”

So please, again stop trying to tell me what my opinion should be and stop trolling my posts.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 6:53 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Who? Because I never saw those posts. People over on U.T are saying it is so no offense but I will take their work on it over some cranky old troll of mine here. One more thing, I don't need telling, especially not from you so please stop trolling me.

From urbantoronto ( for those who care to learn and not be told what to believe: http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2018/05/...llest-building
Under construction at Toronto's Yonge and Bloor intersection, Mizrahi Developments' The One promises to break more new ground with a series of firsts for the city. The project designed by Foster + Partners and Core Architects will be the city and country's tallest building upon completion, the first local instance of high-rise top-down construction, and the first large-scale use of a hybrid exoskeleton support system in Toronto.

Most recently, crews from Michael Bros Excavation have arrived on scene with two excavators that have already removed a sizeable quantity of soil from the site. The One will mark the first local instance of high-rise top-down construction. To accomplish this, basement slabs will provide lateral bracing for the perimeter foundation walls, with the ground and first below-grade level to be formed as excavation continues below. Once the ground and P1 levels take shape, the subsequent below-grade levels will then be formed from the “top down.”

So please, again stop trying to tell me what my opinion should be and stop trolling my posts.
I don't know why I keep thinking you will grow up one day.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 7:02 PM

And I don't know why I think you won't be an ass one day and stop trolling me. Sorry my facts don't fall in line with yours Mr."I am the law!"

For those who are interested the facts about The One's construction can be found here. It has also been linked in posts many times when asked if about the construction methods over on UT. you can either dig a little do some research and lear the truth or be told what to think by forumers such as WS.

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2018/05/...llest-building

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 7:53 PM
BANNED

I would say that the guy that wrote that little article about The One for Urban Toronto is full of shit because there's no mention of top-down construction at wikipedia's page about The One and even more convincingly, there's no mention of top-down construction at The One's own website so i'm going all snopes on this and calling top-down construction of The One:

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
I would say that the guy that wrote that little article about The One for Urban Toronto is full of shit because there's no mention of top-down construction at wikipedia's page about The One and even more convincingly, there's no mention of top-down construction at The One's own website so i'm going all snopes on this and calling top-down construction of The One:

They've started pouring the ground floor, which is attached to deep vertical pillars, prior to excavating. If it's not top-town it's something very unusual.

Also, Snopes is a fact-checking site not a jump-to-conclusion site. If you do want to fact check you might do something like call the general contractor.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 11:22 PM
I am the law!

I agree on Snope but, it contradicts what has been posted here every time the top down method is brought up. It has been suggested a shoring rig will be erected in the hole to drill the final caissons between the rakers and struts.

We've also seen staging areas on tight sites such as this poured that eventually became part of the ground floor. The photos themselves aren't confirmation that this is top down construction. The point of top down as far as I'm aware is to save time. As far as I know, the tower's core isn't built. They wouldn't be able to built up while they dig down so why bother with it here.

I guess we'll have to wait and see in light of this new article.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada