HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 4:14 PM

City Council will be voting today whether to vacate their right of way to the alley between Broadway and Congress for 75 E Broadway.

https://tucsonaz.onbaseonline.com/18...sSection=false

Quote:
Present Consideration(s) – The County has entered into an agreement to construct the project known as 75 East Broadway, a 19-story mixed use development, in partnership with Rio Nuevo Multipurpose Facilities District (Rio Nuevo) and joint venture partners. The project will integrate with balance of the structures on the block which front of Congress Street. City Departments and agencies have approved the vacation, easements are being retained for existing utilities and ground level public access. The City entered into a tax incentive agreement with the County and its joint developers for this project on November 4, 2020, by Resolution No. 23262.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 9:33 PM

Tucson development: 2020 review, 2021 outlook - Downtown/UA corridor

The big development news of 2020 was COVID-19, which slowed down and delayed numerous construction projects, and it continues to impact retail businesses and slow commercial office growth as we begin the new year.

Commercial office
No major office buildings were completed in 2020, although it looks like construction will begin by mid-2021 on downtown’s fourth major skyscraper--the 19-story, 75 Broadway mixed-use tower-- although only five floors of the building are designated for commercial office use.

Multi-family residential
Downtown is now starting to see larger market-rate apartment projects completed, with the mid-2020 opening of the 104-unit RendezVous Urban Flats. 2021 will see the opening of The Flin (244 units), The Monier (132 units), 127 S. 5th Ave. (96 units), Union on 6th (255 units), and The Flash (52 units), as well as the Benedictine apartments (255 units) in the Miramonte neighborhood.

Hospitality
Although 2020 saw just one new hotel finished--the 164-key Graduate Hotel near the UofA-- 2021 should see the completion of three downtown projects: the 175-key Doubletree Hotel at the TCC, the dual hotel project at Cathedral Square, featuring a 123-key Home2 Suites and a 75-key Hampton Inn; as well as The Citizen Hotel, a small boutique hotel at 82 S. Stone Ave. New projects to start construction in 2021 include the conversion of eight floors of the One South Church tower into a 150-key upscale hotel, and possibly the planned conversion of the former Hotel Arizona into a 296-key Hyatt Regency hotel.

Tucson Convention Center
Rio Nuevo took advantage of the event cancellations in 2020 due to COVID to accelerate its renovation projects at the TCC, including the completion of improvements to the meeting rooms, ballroom, and exhibition hall, as well as the completion of the 300-stall Lot A Parking Garage and the restoration of the upper plaza of the historic Eckbo landscape. Funds have been allocated in 2021 for the construction of nearly 20k s.f. of additional meeting rooms and the design of a 500-stall parking garage on Lot C behind the Music Hall.

University of Arizona
Three projects that were delayed in 2020 are slated to begin this summer: the $20M, three-story Andrew Weil Center for Integrative Medicine will start construction in June, while the $99M, seven-story Grand Challenges Research Building and the $85M Applied Research Building will break ground in July. Off-campus student housing in 2020 saw the completion of the oLiv Residences (238 units), and 2021 will see the Hub on Campus - Park Avenue (152 units/485 beds) and The Parker (130 units/482 beds) ready for occupancy.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 8:12 PM

It appears the Baffert at 5 Points has begun construction. There is also a 1 page website with leasing info up as well. I spent some time this morning walking around the 5 points area. Lots or renovations are occurring throughout the neighborhood.

https://bafferttucson.info/

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 6:08 PM

New downtown boutique hotel coming.

https://www.tucsonaz.gov/files/integ...11-24-20_0.pdf

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 4:25 AM

Rio Nuevo Meeting 1/27/21

Listened in on the RN meeting today. Didn't take much away from it since most of the meeting was about the financial state in which they are doing better than expected and more than 30 min was spent on a presentation about the Sunshine Mile overlay zone which was nothing really new except a couple of minor changes.

The Sunshine Mile Overlay Zone which has gone through numerous meetings with nearby neighborhoods for the past 3 years is going to go before the mayor and city council in the 2nd quarter of 2021 for considerations.

75 E Broadway is going through its final documentation process and Fletcher McCusker says the developer is on the phone with the lender at least 3 times a week.

Swaim and Sundt Construction working on TCC improvements say funds have been allocated for the West end of the TCC for additional meeting space, Eckbo Plaza renovation, and TCC Music hall seating replacements.

The owners of the Julian Drew block says they have a well known popular local restaurant that has signed a lease in the former Downtown Kitchens restaurant and plan on adding additional outside seating and space.

Fox theater is hoping a new legislation to help independent live venues will pass but we won't know until April/May. They hope for a reopening for Fall 2021.

The meeting was kind of rushed near the end and there were a few items on the agenda they didn't have time for including the Volvo building site I believe. We would have to wait until next meeting.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsaturn View Post
Listened in on the RN meeting today. Didn't take much away from it since most of the meeting was about the financial state in which they are doing better than expected and more than 30 min was spent on a presentation about the Sunshine Mile overlay zone which was nothing really new except a couple of minor changes.

The Sunshine Mile Overlay Zone which has gone through numerous meetings with nearby neighborhoods for the past 3 years is going to go before the mayor and city council in the 2nd quarter of 2021 for considerations.

75 E Broadway is going through its final documentation process and Fletcher McCusker says the developer is on the phone with the lender at least 3 times a week.

Swaim and Sundt Construction working on TCC improvements say funds have been allocated for the West end of the TCC for additional meeting space, Eckbo Plaza renovation, and TCC Music hall seating replacements.

The owners of the Julian Drew block says they have a well known popular local restaurant that has signed a lease in the former Downtown Kitchens restaurant and plan on adding additional outside seating and space.

Fox theater is hoping a new legislation to help independent live venues will pass but we won't know until April/May. They hope for a reopening for Fall 2021.

The meeting was kind of rushed near the end and there were a few items on the agenda they didn't have time for including the Volvo building site I believe. We would have to wait until next meeting.
Thanks for the update on the RN meeting. I guess it is good news their revenue is better than expected. I am surprised we don't hear more about the NorGen site. I know they discuss it in Executive session, but what is the plan there? That lot has sat empty for 6 years since the the bid was won.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
Thanks for the update on the RN meeting. I guess it is good news their revenue is better than expected. I am surprised we don't hear more about the NorGen site. I know they discuss it in Executive session, but what is the plan there? That lot has sat empty for 6 years since the the bid was won.
Agree with this. Fletcher needs to put out a formal statement explaining where things are. Is there any way to contact him or Rio Nuevo to do so?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 4:55 PM

Has anyone heard an update on the 20 story building proposed at Speedway and Campbell? it seemed to be making good progress a few years ago, but the website has not been updated in 3 years.

https://www.speedwaycampbellgateway.com/

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 11:58 PM

Updated brochure for 75 E Broadway, Tucson's newest high rise in downtown. It is officially 19 Stories ( Height in feet not indicated) with expected completion in late 2022.

https://properties.cbre.us/75-broadw...y_brochure.pdf

ICYMI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWROrbGwghQ

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 12:16 AM

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Updated brochure for 75 E Broadway, Tucson's newest high rise in downtown. It is officially 19 Stories ( Height in feet not indicated) with expected completion in late 2022.

At least it seems like its finally moving forward. I wish they'd give some height information about it. But it seems like One South Church will remain the tallest building in downtown Tucson at 23 stories (330ft). Even with 75B being 19 stories...they'd have to do a lot of height to beat a 4 stories difference. Unless they can gain some height with the parking garage being part of the building. But still..if it were Tucson's tallest you'd think they'd market it as such. That would be a huge selling point. Wasted opportunity.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 9:42 AM
Skyriser

I read somewhere that 75 Broadway was designed to the maximum height limit which is 300'. That sounds about right looking at it.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ71 View Post
At least it seems like its finally moving forward. I wish they'd give some height information about it. But it seems like One South Church will remain the tallest building in downtown Tucson at 23 stories (330ft). Even with 75B being 19 stories...they'd have to do a lot of height to beat a 4 stories difference. Unless they can gain some height with the parking garage being part of the building. But still..if it were Tucson's tallest you'd think they'd market it as such. That would be a huge selling point. Wasted opportunity.
It's been verbally stated by some insiders as Tucson's second tallest so somewhere between 262-330' I heard 300' as well but time will tell. I'm one of those Tucsonans that won't believe it until I see dirt flying. But they should be starting soon if they expect to be completed by late 2022.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 5:34 PM

I don't remember this being posted but a new dog park concept is being introduced to Tucson hopefully by the end of this year. . The dog park will combine food and drinks service with an off leash dog park area. I think The Bridges at Tucson Marketplace is a great spot for this.

The new venture is called Mutts canine and cantina, a Dallas based company that expects to open another one in El Paso.

It looks like it is mainly outdoors and hopefully it will include tons of shade for the sake of our hot summers:

Courtesy of ADS:

"A Texas-based restaurant concept pairing craft-casual food and drink with a large, open, off-leash play area for dogs is looking to set up shop in Tucson by late 2021.

Las Cruces, New Mexico, resident April Mendoza recently signed a franchise agreement with MUTTS Canine Cantina with plans to open locations in El Paso and Tucson by the end of next year.

The restaurant’s claim to fame is its off-leash dog parks, where owners can let their pets run free while having a drink or getting a bite to eat on-site.

The parks are maintained by staff members known as “bark rangers,” who clean up after the pets and de-escalate any situation where the dogs might “get too rowdy,” MUTTS managing partner Michelle Boggs said.

“Dogs can run free without a leash,” Boggs said. “Their owners can walk up to the bar and grab a margarita.”

Patrons can pay for day passes ($8.95 for one dog, according to the MUTTS website), monthly passes ($16.95) or annual passes ($169.50) and are given access to the parks through barcodes sent to their phones.

Mendoza first heard of MUTTS while living in Dallas. She would take her two Shih Tzus to “yappy hour,” the restaurant’s weekday version of happy hour.

“It is difficult as a dog owner to bring two dogs to a restaurant’s patio and try to eat,” Mendoza said. “MUTTS gives you this big open area where you feel more comfortable doing that. That idea always resonated with me.”

MUTTS currently has two locations, one in Dallas that opened in 2014 and a second in Fort Worth that opened in 2018. Boggs and concept founders Kyle Noonan and Joshua Sepkowitz started franchising last year, Boggs said.

The restaurant offers a menu that includes sandwiches, burgers, chicken dishes and snack plates, with craft beer and mixed drink options to wash them down.

Pets can munch on mini-beef franks, known as “doggie dogs,” and pupsicles, dog-friendly popsicles made from beef broth and peanut butter on edible sticks.

Boggs said membership at both of its current spots has risen since the pandemic started. Its Dallas location went from 985 paying members per month at the beginning of the year to about 2,000 today. Its Fort Worth location jumped from 825 to 1,160.

Mendoza said that they are currently looking for the perfect location in Tucson.

She said she chose Tucson because of its dog-friendly reputation and its long stretches of sunny weather.

“It seemed like a no-brainer to me,” Mendoza said."

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 9:45 PM

Quote:
It's been verbally stated by some insiders as Tucson's second tallest so somewhere between 262-330' I heard 300' as well but time will tell. I'm one of those Tucsonans that won't believe it until I see dirt flying. But they should be starting soon if they expect to be completed by late 2022.
I'd say 300ft is about right. I think I read somewhere when One South Church was built in 1986 at 330ft it outraged local residents. Saying the height destroyed the mountain views or something. So the city lowered the maximum height limits. So its probably 300 now. Someone needs to challenge that old ordinance. Not sure how you can do that...but its old and outdated. 300 is nothing.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 10:20 PM
Todo para la familia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ71 View Post
I'd say 300ft is about right. I think I read somewhere when One South Church was built in 1986 at 330ft it outraged local residents. Saying the height destroyed the mountain views or something. So the city lowered the maximum height limits. So its probably 300 now. Someone needs to challenge that old ordinance. Not sure how you can do that...but its old and outdated. 300 is nothing.
Tucson has a NIMBY problem?!? Who'da thunk it.

And yes AZ71, looks like the max height is 300FT.

https://www.tucsonhomesandlots.com/w...ifications.pdf

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 1:13 AM

New hotel announced near the new JTED at the Bridges

WaterWalk Hotel Apartments Buys 2.18 acres at the Bridges in Tucson for $1.83 Million

The Bridges in Tucson is a cohesive 350-acre master-planned collection of districts having three separate ownership entities: Bourn Companies, University of Arizona’s Tech Parks Arizona and Retail West.

Bourn Companies sold 2.18-acres recently to WaterWalk, a developer of upscale extended stay hotels. WaterWalk bought the development site located at Tucson Marketplace and Park Ave., near the JTED Innovative Learning Center at The Bridges, for $1.825 million.

WaterWalk plans to construct an upscale extended stay hotel. This will be its 11th location, with WaterWalk Phoenix scheduled to open Summer 2021. The Tucson site is its second in Arizona with +/- 120 furnished and unfurnished rooms. The average length of stay at WaterWalk is 89 days.

WaterWalk combines the most appealing features of an upscale hotel with the space and amenities travelers enjoy while away from home. By design, the innovative prototype efficiently penetrates target market segments such as relocations and corporate projects/trainings. A marquee brand innovation created by an accomplished leadership team with extensive experience across various lodging sectors, WaterWalk is the fifth national brand started by Jack DeBoer, including Residence Inn, Summerfield Suites, Candlewood Suites, and Value Place/WoodSpring.

WaterWalk plans to have 50 locations open by year-end 2024. This is the second hotel announced for the Bridges since Woodspring Suites announced in September.

Bourn Companies controls 112 acres and is developing multiple districts of The Bridges. These include: a corporate office district, home to GEICO’s regional headquarters; Mosaic, a creative office and educational district featuring JTED’s newest technical education campus; and Brioso, an eclectic, Spanish-inspired residential community centered around a vibrant Main Street scene with 128 modern homes, creative office and live/workspaces and an innovative urban-style resort.

GEICO has taken possession of their 200,000-square-foot regional headquarters, construction is underway on Mosaic and Brioso.

Kidder Mathews commercial real estate brokers, Trask Switzenberg and Chuck Wells, represented WaterWalk in the transaction and Allan Tanner with Bourn Advisory Services represented the seller.

The Pima JTED Innovative Learning Center at the Bridges at 3300 S Park Ave., opened is 50,000-square-foot facility for Fall 2020. JTED has provided students the industry training programs since 2007, while Tucson Unified — Tucson’s largest school district — provides students the general education classes required for earning a high school diploma.

This new campus allows Pima JTED (Joint Technological Education District) to expand their program offering simultaneous high school education and industry certifications in a variety of fields including Culinary Arts, Mechatronics, Robotics, Aviation, Health Care, and 3-D Animaton.

An additional 2.66-acres transferred to the JTED developers, JTED Bridges II (Gary Brav and Don Bourn, managers) on December 30, 2020 for $1.858 million to hold for future expansion.

Adjacent to the Bourn-controlled districts are the planned UA Tech Park at The Bridges, a 65-acre research and innovation park on the northeast parcel of the project, and Tucson Marketplace, an 850,000-square-foot regional super center on the southern parcel that is approximately 50% complete.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 1:24 AM

Quote:

Anyone else notice the brochure still has The Moxy Hotel listed at the Rialto site on page 5? I thought they had cancelled that hotel.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
Anyone else notice the brochure still has The Moxy Hotel listed at the Rialto site on page 5? I thought they had cancelled that hotel.
Yes...the Moxy was cancelled. Thats why I dont even trust the renderings of 75 Broadway are what its gonna end up looking like. There are just so many ideas that were put out there and then just forgotten. Just like the arena site too which in my opinion will always be a dirt lot and an eyesore for Tucson.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 8:37 PM

Quote:

This came out from the County Administrator. Huge 75 E Broadway contract with specs. If you look on page 42 it shows the schedule with most of the ground work being done this year and then the actual shell begins construction in Oct 2021 thru Sept 2023 with completion day on 9/5/23.

https://webcms.pima.gov/UserFiles/Se...0Financing.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest