HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

320 Granville in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 4:24 PM

Thanks for the updates.

May I propose something to mods and forum members? Can we add the new descriptor of 'excavation' to the project title? We have 'proposed' and then 'U/C', but clearly there's a difference between a proposal chugging along through design development and approvals and the first foundation pour?

I've been on SSP long enough to see the confusion our binary labeling causes and think that adding 'excavation' would just put it to bed and not compromise the validity of the argument that digging a hole isn't the same thing as the building being under construction. Thoughts?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Thanks for the updates.

May I propose something to mods and forum members? Can we add the new descriptor of 'excavation' to the project title? We have 'proposed' and then 'U/C', but clearly there's a difference between a proposal chugging along through design development and approvals and the first foundation pour?

I've been on SSP long enough to see the confusion our binary labeling causes and think that adding 'excavation' would just put it to bed and not compromise the validity of the argument that digging a hole isn't the same thing as the building being under construction. Thoughts?
I think that's a very good idea. Forumers often pose the question about what differentiates "proposed" and "under construction." This would mitigate that confusion.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Thanks for the updates.

Yes that makes sense. It's not very clear when a project like this is labeled the same as something like the GEC project in Surrey. They are worlds apart. Not to mention you have projects like Gilmore station listed already as u/c in the Canada section but still as proposed here.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 8:56 PM

I think a new category would be good. That interim period between when a proposal is approved and when the first concrete is poured could also be called "site prep". That term could cover tree removal (or protection), demolition and excavation.

Of course we've had a few projects over the years that got stopped in mid site prep like the old partially demolished building that stood for years on Georgia where the Trump tower eventually was built. Also, the International Village excavation that just stopped and became a duck pond for a few years.

I think it's rare but sometimes site prep is stopped and it goes back to new proposals.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
I think a new category would be good. That interim period between when a proposal is approved and when the first concrete is poured could also be called "site prep". That term could cover tree removal (or protection), demolition and excavation.

Of course we've had a few projects over the years that got stopped in mid site prep like the old partially demolished building that stood for years on Georgia where the Trump tower eventually was built. Also, the International Village excavation that just stopped and became a duck pond for a few years.

I think it's rare but sometimes site prep is stopped and it goes back to new proposals.
Projects can also get cancelled after the foundation has been poured or when they are "U/C". Look at the stump that sat for a decade plus where trump now stands. Either way the thread would just get changed to cancelled. Not really a big deal

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 1:43 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

There is no excavation phase. The site follows industry standards and will continue with the proposed/uc/completed phases only. We don't need to rehash this every few months. There's enough projects going on let's keep the talk about them.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
There is no excavation phase. The site follows industry standards and will continue with the proposed/uc/completed phases only. We don't need to rehash this every few months. There's enough projects going on let's keep the talk about them.
What industry would not consider this an active construction site? Lol. and this site doesn't follow that "standard". Just saying. Seems to be more just in the Vancouver section, certainly not seen in the Canada section

Last edited by osirisboy; Sep 12, 2019 at 3:27 AM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
What industry would not consider this an active construction site? Lol. and this site doesn't follow that "standard". Just saying. Seems to be more just in the Vancouver section, certainly not seen in the Canada section
The entire site OTHER than the Canada section follows the rules the Vancouver section follows.

The Canada section is the aberration, not the other way around.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 8:24 AM

Still digging.

Oct.23 '19, my pics

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 12:57 PM

Nov.13 '19, my pics

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 1:16 AM

Wow, still excavating.
Thanks.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 3:17 AM

Four levels of parking. But almost 5 levels below grade.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Wow, four levels of underground parking. I wonder where the entrance / exit ramps will be? And how will the roads absorb this new uptake of cards at rush hour?
But that's for another thread. Great to see this building going forward the way it is. It will add to the Hastings street canyon, without being too overpowering or too underwhelming.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 7:47 AM

Quote:
The development permit is for 8 levels of underground parking.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 7:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Wow, four levels of underground parking. I wonder where the entrance / exit ramps will be? And how will the roads absorb this new uptake of cards at rush hour?
But that's for another thread. Great to see this building going forward the way it is. It will add to the Hastings street canyon, without being too overpowering or too underwhelming.
It's off the back lane close to Granville.

https://rezoning.vancouver.ca/applic...rplans_000.pdf

136 spots. Requirement is 241 but dropped because of car shares and bike stalls.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 1:28 PM

Quote:
It's off the back lane close to Granville.

https://rezoning.vancouver.ca/applic...rplans_000.pdf

136 spots. Requirement is 241 but dropped because of car shares and bike stalls.
That was the rezoning, but by the Development Permit they had changed the design and gone to 288 spaces on 8 floors.

https://vancouver.ca/files/cov/commi...2016-00666.pdf

I guess it might be related to changing the building to 50% strata? There shouldn't be an issue with traffic impacts, the site was used as a parkade previously.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 11:18 PM

I believe they're also replacing some of the stalls lost by demolishing the existing parkade.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 3:03 AM

Quote:
In the downtown area, a property owner has the opportunity to address a shortfall in parking supply by securing additional parking off-site or through the “payment-in-lieu” provisions of the Parking By-law. These provisions require a payment of $20,200 per parking space at the development permit stage, which is used to fund downtown parking structures or green mobility initiatives. The applicant is exploring options of meeting the current shortfall of parking including increased bicycle spaces and the addition of shared vehicle spaces
I guess they just decided to build the spaces since there was always a shortfall in their proposal.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 11:00 PM

Crane is up.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 2:58 AM

I took these pics about 2:30 PM today. There are actually four cranes visible (3 in the distance) in the first pic.

The new crane we see here is tucked right into the corner of the site closest to the intersection. I wonder if they'll have a second crane at the opposite diagonal corner?

Dec.7 '19, my pics

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver