HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 7:03 PM
Closed account

ID DOT webcam shot just after noon of new Broadway bridge. Boise State plans a hotel on the right just over the bridge at University Drive , and maybe a ballpark.

Boise State ideas for hotel and ballpark

Last edited by Architecture Buff; Sep 9, 2016 at 7:22 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 7:31 PM
All man. Half nuts.

also, Main Street Station is slated to open on September 26th.

i wish whatever they are doing to 9th street between idaho and front street would be completed soon... those pylons and lane closures have been there for weeks now.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 3:07 PM
not a cynic

No one guessed it, but nice try sawtooth. It's 8th St Road where it meets Highland View Dr. It's part of the Highlands Cove development. I didn't pay much attention when it was in the news, then appealed to city council and then clear up to judicial review. But now, I'm kind of shocked at the amount of earth moving. This road realignment is only one small part of what's happening up there.

The realignment, will connect Highlands Cove with Highland View Dr. and Braemere while keeping 8th St disconnected. Anyone remember back before that gate? You could drive up Highland Valley Rd and right on up 8th. It will also connect the top of Highland View with Braemere. I wonder if that's why they put the restricted access at Braemere and Curling?

More info:

http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...04291503350130

https://www.achdidaho.org/Projects/M..._2Why_here.pdf

http://highlandscoveboise.com/plat-map/

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...e83467737.html

Last edited by boisecynic; Sep 13, 2016 at 3:44 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 5:40 PM

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 5:02 PM

http://www.aviationpros.com/press_re...n-study-update

Boise Airport Begins Master Plan Study Update

Source: Boise Airport (BOI) Sep 12, 2016

https://www.iflyboise.com/

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
http://www.aviationpros.com/press_re...n-study-update

Boise Airport Begins Master Plan Study Update

Source: Boise Airport (BOI) Sep 12, 2016

https://www.iflyboise.com/
God I hope it involves a non-stop route to an east coast hub.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post
context

Of note, Seattle's Alaskan Way Viaduct tunnel has reached the halfway mark. Their budget page says $3.1 billion for 9270 feet. Front/Myrtle is only 6300 feet and probably less complicated. I suspect it could be done via cut and cover rather than boring. I won't attempt to estimate it, but $billions is an exaggeration.

The Seattle tunnel is so much more complex than this would ever be - seawall, depth, etc.

I still think it would be a $500-million to a billion project. They would almost certainly cut and cover in the current road bed. The big challenge is how to ramp up and down to a tunnel - you need people to be able to connect at place like 9th and Capitol, plus the Connector's "mouth". It's mind-bogglingly complex... but also, frankly, a far better use of tax dollars than a legacy trolley project.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDay View Post
They would almost certainly cut and cover in the current road bed.
If they started tomorrow they could probably have the sheet pile done by Christmas.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 6:08 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post
context

Conversation regarding Don Day's article posted Monday, Oct 3rd about CCDC and what to do about Front/Myrtle.

I was waiting for someone to bring up the Big Dig. Sorry Cottonwood, we're going all transportationy again, but it's hard to uncouple the couplet from downtown development. Especially since CCDC has hired a consultant and is taking a good, but hush hush look at it.

Of note, Seattle's Alaskan Way Viaduct tunnel has reached the halfway mark. Their budget page says $3.1 billion for 9270 feet. Front/Myrtle is only 6300 feet and probably less complicated. I suspect it could be done via cut and cover rather than boring. I won't attempt to estimate it, but $billions is an exaggeration.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/Viaduct/

Also, Hartford CT is discussing a $10 billion burial of their waterfront freeways.

http://www.courant.com/news/connecti...&ICID=ref_fark
I'm no expert, but I believe the last time I checked, cut-and-cover and bored tunnel construction costs had just about merged. (Bored tunnels are getting cheaper as TBM technology becomes better and better understood with each passing generation.)

Personally, what I think Boise could really use are two-way conversions on its downtown streets -- possibly in concert with some sort of through-traffic bypass? To my easterner eyes, your one-way pairs have absurdly many lanes for such a small city. I find it hard to believe that your downtown generates enough traffic to justify so many one-way pairs.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Personally, what I think Boise could really use are two-way conversions on its downtown streets -- possibly in concert with some sort of through-traffic bypass? To my easterner eyes, your one-way pairs have absurdly many lanes for such a small city. I find it hard to believe that your downtown generates enough traffic to justify so many one-way pairs.
AADT numbers for Front between 11th and 13th street signals are at or above 40,000. This figure is relatively high, especially for a small city; wait times westbound during rush hour (even with the couplet's considerable lane count) are accordingly long--and that's coming from someone who currently lives and commutes in a city much larger than Boise. In my mind, there's no question that the current setup needs to change. But given that current setup, and the reality of high wait times, I don't think discussion questioning the necessity of high lane count is constructive.

Downtown generates a significant amount, but not the majority of this traffic. That might be where your confusion arises from. Front and Myrtle Streets constitute a one-way couplet stage of US Highway 20/26, and are important thoroughfares for a significant number of people who live west of downtown, and work east of it (several large business campuses actually lie past downtown to the east). Front's (westbound) AADT figure shrinks by only 14,000 on the opposing side of downtown between Broadway and 3rd street signals, meaning downtown destination traffic probably accounts for under a third of total traffic.

In their current, surface-level form, IMO there's nothing frivolous about the design of these two streets. But that design is not conducive to a downtown environment many here would like to see. That's why I agree with you about a through-traffic bypass. I am personally fond of a tunneled solution, which is the basis for much of the related discussion in above posts.

Last edited by kidboise; Oct 7, 2016 at 12:14 AM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 3:23 PM

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 6:58 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidboise View Post
AADT numbers for Front between 11th and 13th street signals are at or above 40,000. This figure is relatively high, especially for a small city; wait times westbound during rush hour (even with the couplet's considerable lane count) are accordingly long--and that's coming from someone who currently lives and commutes in a city much larger than Boise. In my mind, there's no question that the current setup needs to change. But given that current setup, and the reality of high wait times, I don't think discussion questioning the necessity of high lane count is constructive.

Downtown generates a significant amount, but not the majority of this traffic. That might be where your confusion arises from. Front and Myrtle Streets constitute a one-way couplet stage of US Highway 20/26, and are important thoroughfares for a significant number of people who live west of downtown, and work east of it (several large business campuses actually lie past downtown to the east). Front's (westbound) AADT figure shrinks by only 14,000 on the opposing side of downtown between Broadway and 3rd street signals, meaning downtown destination traffic probably accounts for under a third of total traffic.

In their current, surface-level form, IMO there's nothing frivolous about the design of these two streets. But that design is not conducive to a downtown environment many here would like to see. That's why I agree with you about a through-traffic bypass. I am personally fond of a tunneled solution, which is the basis for much of the related discussion in above posts.
Keep in mind I live in a city much, much larger than Boise. I'm not about to question your traffic counts, but the underlying issue is that very wide one-way pairs are not usually very conducive to urban development. Manhattan avenues are the exception, not the norm.

The worst offenders in Boise are the Front-Myrtle and 9th-Capitol pairs. 9th-Capitol has two lanes on Capitol (with space for four) and three marked lanes on 9th (very wide lanes, too). Meanwhile, Front and Myrtle are 5 (!!!) lanes wide. At these widths, what you're looking at are less "streets" and more "highways that people have to cross ... somehow".

Even off those streets, even less-important streets for regional traffic flow, like Main or Jefferson, are often three-lane one-way affairs. This is not healthy for urban development. If your street must be one-way, it should not be more than two lanes wide -- this way, parking lanes have a frictional effect on both of the drive lanes. Greater care must be taken, so you drive more slowly, and this is better for other users of the street. Incidentally, you also get free space for a parking-protected bike lane when you do this!

As far as Front and Myrtle are concerned, the fact each direction has an odd number of lanes is worrying, as is the fact that the pair is essentially an extended I-184 exit. It is no surprise that drivers treat this pair as a highway, particularly Myrtle -- there is no clear transition to "city street". Worse, its natural end is another one-way pair. Optimally, a well-designed roundabout forms a street-road boundary, but there might not be a good place to put it.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 2:03 PM

To add to this conversation, there have been and currently are one way to two way conversions downtown. This has been going on for the past few years.

Jefferson Street is currently being converted back to a 2 way street.

http://www.achdidaho.org/projects/Pu...?ProjectID=248

http://www.achdidaho.org/Projects/Pu...?ProjectID=384

http://www.boiseweekly.com/CityDesk/...s-third-street

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/one...nt?oid=2961042

http://www.compassidaho.org/document...0proposals.pdf

Main and Idaho are one ways and seem to serve their function well, they do not appear to impede growth imo because downtown is vibrant and booming and the city is working with ACHD on how to implement bike lanes on those two streets. Also, keep in mind that even though Main and Idaho are 3 lanes each, the lanes are narrow, more narrow compared to other cities I've lived in. It would be interesting to see these two streets converted to 2 ways but it is much too entertaining to see unfamiliar drivers turn the wrong way onto one of these streets.

Do we have any ACHD lurkers?

Last edited by Cottonwood; Oct 14, 2016 at 2:18 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Keep in mind I live in a city much, much larger than Boise. I'm not about to question your traffic counts, but the underlying issue is that very wide one-way pairs are not usually very conducive to urban development. Manhattan avenues are the exception, not the norm.

The worst offenders in Boise are the Front-Myrtle and 9th-Capitol pairs. 9th-Capitol has two lanes on Capitol (with space for four) and three marked lanes on 9th (very wide lanes, too). Meanwhile, Front and Myrtle are 5 (!!!) lanes wide. At these widths, what you're looking at are less "streets" and more "highways that people have to cross ... somehow".

Even off those streets, even less-important streets for regional traffic flow, like Main or Jefferson, are often three-lane one-way affairs. This is not healthy for urban development. If your street must be one-way, it should not be more than two lanes wide -- this way, parking lanes have a frictional effect on both of the drive lanes. Greater care must be taken, so you drive more slowly, and this is better for other users of the street. Incidentally, you also get free space for a parking-protected bike lane when you do this!

As far as Front and Myrtle are concerned, the fact each direction has an odd number of lanes is worrying, as is the fact that the pair is essentially an extended I-184 exit. It is no surprise that drivers treat this pair as a highway, particularly Myrtle -- there is no clear transition to "city street". Worse, its natural end is another one-way pair. Optimally, a well-designed roundabout forms a street-road boundary, but there might not be a good place to put it.
So I pretty much agree with everything you're saying here. I certainly don't think the current setup is conducive to healthy urban development. Not only are lane counts high on these two couplets, the lanes are too wide (as you said). I am all for slowing traffic through downtown. Still, downtown Potatoland shoulders a somewhat peculiar glut of through-traffic. I say: 1. Cut and cover an east-west bypass 2. Strip all couplets down to two lanes, narrow those lanes and convert freed up space to parking/protected bike lanes

...at least I can dream

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Main and Idaho are one ways and seem to serve their function well, they do not appear to impede growth imo because downtown is vibrant and booming and the city is working with ACHD on how to implement bike lanes on those two streets. Also, keep in mind that even though Main and Idaho are 3 lanes each, the lanes are narrow, more narrow compared to other cities I've lived in. It would be interesting to see these two streets converted to 2 ways but it is much too entertaining to see unfamiliar drivers turn the wrong way onto one of these streets.
Cottonwood, you're right. As much as I agree with the logic behind converting streets to two-way in this context, Main and Idaho are totally anomalies. The vibrancy and health of these streets doesn't seem to be adversely affected at all. I would even say the same about 9th ftmp. Oh, and the new bus ramp coming up from underground on Main certainly adds texture.

Man, all this talk is making me want to come home for a visit. It's been months.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 4:36 PM

Some news from last month and from the North.

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/san...nt?oid=3899013

Sandpoint Will Light Up Solar Roads This Friday

Quote:
Now, on Friday, Sept. 30, Solar Roadways is scheduled to unveil its "first-even public demonstration" in Idaho's panhandle. KREM-TV reports the city of Sandpoint will be the first municipality in the nation to utilize roads that will feature solar panels and thousands of LED lights that will eliminate the need to paint traffic lines and caution messages on pavement. Most important, the micro- and macro-textures of the surface will be strong enough to support huge semi-tractor trailers.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/18...re-amazing.htm
Solar Roadways Installs Energy Tiles In Idaho: Here's Why These Colorful Tiles Are Amazing

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wir...walks-42844759
Walking on Sunshine: Idaho Company Debuts Solar Sidewalks

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 4:06 PM
not a cynic

Quote:

Sandpoint Will Light Up Solar Roads This Friday
This was thoroughly debunked the other day when it showed up on reddit in a couple different subs. The owners also did an ama 4 years ago where some tough questions were asked but not answered and buried at the bottom.

They've had 6 years and spent over $3million and still no working product. As much as I'd like this kind of thing to work, I'm very skeptical.

The presenter here is annoying as they come but the critique seemed solid. Remember, Sandpoint is the town that fought a HWY 95 bypass for decades even though it could take over an hour to drive through a town of 5000 in the summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtkbioiQHmA

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 4:49 AM

AS upgrades BOI-SEA to mainline equipment 1x per day: http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/b...113188468.html

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 12:53 AM

Any new updates or rumors on progress of a downtown circulator?? i.e. light rail?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 5:36 PM

The City is suppose to be developing a draft recommendation sometime this fall. Heres there July 2016 update from the Public works website.

Quote:
The Downtown Circulator Steering Committee is expected to meet early this fall to develop a draft recommendation of the locally preferred alternative. The recommendation will address the preferred route, vehicle type, and funding strategy. This draft recommendation will be made available to the community for review and comment this upcoming winter with final Mayor and Council recommendation anticipated in mid to late 2017.
http://publicworks.cityofboise.org/circulator/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West