HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 9:17 PM

https://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/dr...nt?oid=6523552

Driverless In Boise?

Local developer: Boise should consider autonomous vehicles for downtown circulator

Quote:
Carley would like the city to consider a fixed streetcar alternative.

"Have you heard of Navya?" asked Carley.

Based in Paris, France, Navya has quickly accelerated to become one of the most prolific developers of driverless public vehicles in the world. Navya has launched autonomous public shuttle systems in Europe, Australia, Southeast Asia and, earlier this year, as a pilot program in Las Vegas. The vehicles, which can transport about a dozen passengers, are pretty spiffy—they look like something between a streetcar and a bus with plenty of headroom. They're 100 percent electric and are surrounded by several sensors and cameras to detect motions and obstacles.

Video Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUxzmbRpaYE

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 4:24 AM

At a minimum Boise State should pilot this for a campus shuttle circulator and maybe between campus and CCP. Michigan is doing similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
https://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/dr...nt?oid=6523552

Driverless In Boise?

Local developer: Boise should consider autonomous vehicles for downtown circulator

Video Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUxzmbRpaYE

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 4:17 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Saturday afternoon

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Last edited by Sawtooth; Sep 13, 2017 at 4:32 AM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 8:01 PM

Are they building a bridge over capital and 9th near the new fine arts building? I see ACHD is doing something on both sides of the road plus the island. It looks like they poured two round foundations in the island.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBMW View Post
Are they building a bridge over capital and 9th near the new fine arts building? I see ACHD is doing something on both sides of the road plus the island. It looks like they poured two round foundations in the island.
Nope,a signalized crosswalk in the middle of the fence they put up last year to keep people from crossing there. So now the little darlings at BSU won't have to walk that extra 300 feet to the new signalized crosswalk at Royal that they put in two years ago. http://www.achdidaho.org/Projects/pr...-crossing.aspx

Oh and since it's an on-demand signal it isn't synchronized with the other lights nearby. What could possibly go wrong.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityneck View Post
Nope,a signalized crosswalk in the middle of the fence they put up last year to keep people from crossing there. So now the little darlings at BSU won't have to walk that extra 300 feet to the new signalized crosswalk at Royal that they put in two years ago. http://www.achdidaho.org/Projects/pr...-crossing.aspx

Oh and since it's an on-demand signal it isn't synchronized with the other lights nearby. What could possibly go wrong.

Wow. I'm really sad to hear that. That is going to snarl traffic up at university and capital real bad. The new light at royal really cut down on the wait time. Not sure why they need to put in a second cross walk. A bridge would have been very cool.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualize View Post
I don't really think the little jog across Capitol by BSU is needed at all. It's only one additional block anyone in that neighborhood would have to walk if it was just ran up Capitol the whole way. It's also going to negatively impact traffic, where if it just ran on Capitol heading back into downtown the train could get a free right from University. With the proposed design it would need to stop traffic for what is typically longer than a normal light cycle, not once, but twice as it heads east back over Capitol again. Bad idea in my opinion, unless it serves some other function.

Much better overall than the initial proposal from years back that just did a loop around Main and Idaho though.

I know this is dragging up old news, but there's nothing else going on in this forum so I'm going to do it.

I totally agree that the jog into the Lusk neighborhood is unnecessary. Just looking at the map I imagine that if you were travelling from Boise State to St. Luke's it would be nearly as fast to walk as it would be to ride the streetcar. With stops and traffic and the weird alignments it will make for a pretty slow and frustrating trip and will definitely hurt ridership.

I also like the new alignment better than the old one, but it still seems to be very inefficient. It may cover much more ground and serve more landmarks and destinations, but it would be complete nonsense to ride in certain situations. If I were riding from near 15th toward St. Luke's I would have to get off at 9th, walk two blocks, wait for another train and get back on. Otherwise, if I were to stay on the train my trip would probably be 4 times as long as a direct route. This seems the equivalent of having to drive through Mt. Home to get from Meridian to Boise.

The same is true for a trip from St. Luke's to BSU, BSU to 15th, or St. Luke's to Lusk. These would all be very long rides probably similar in time to walking and much shorter by car and probably even bus. There seem to be very few possible trips that would be quick and helpful.

Linear routes are the most efficient and going to draw the most riders. I would say either cut off the St. Luke's branch or cut off the BSU branch, but don't keep them both. One of them could be for future expansion once the original line gains some popularity.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBMW View Post
Wow. I'm really sad to hear that. That is going to snarl traffic up at university and capital real bad. The new light at royal really cut down on the wait time. Not sure why they need to put in a second cross walk. A bridge would have been very cool.
This project will not be on-demand. It will be two-phased and timed with the signals to the north and south. In other words, the southbound crossing won't trigger until the Ann Morrison/Capitol light goes red. The northbound crossing won't trigger until Royal is red. ACHD's project description is somewhat misleading. Yes, something happens when a pedestrian pushes the button. But, the light will only trigger once the aforementioned intersections have changed. Think Grove and 9th.

105,000 peds/bikes crossed Capitol Blvd. between Boise State and the Lusk District in November alone (those data include a down week on campus as well). Any time you're pushing close to 1 million annual ped crossings on a corridor, more can likely be done.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 7:57 PM

Boise Airport Master Plan

The airport held open house #3 last week and posted a variety of terminal options. I've placed a couple of the more interesting/surprising ones. Theres also different options for new garages, taxi-way builds and general aviation.
https://www.iflyboise.com/about-boi/masterplan/
Terminal Options:
https://www.iflyboise.com/media/1391...evconcepts.pdf

Existing:

Option 1:

Option 2 (most commonly known):

Option 3:

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 6:21 PM

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/loc...ugene.html.csp

Seattle, Boise offer bike rental lessons for Eugene

Quote:
Other Northwest cities offer lessons for bike rental program planners and riders in Eugene.

Eugene next spring will join more than 100 cities around the country — including Seattle and Boise — with short-trip bike rentals.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 8:24 AM

I've taken a bit of time to imagine some other options to the downtown circulator, and fleshed out what a fully developed light rail system could look like in Boise. Of course these are fantasy proposals contingent on a ton of different factors, but a challenge I see worth pursuing.

To rehash, here is the city's current proposal: https://boisedev.com/news/2017/8/15/...ve-bieter-achd

Rather than build this circulator that doesn't really go anywhere, and has no destinations that aren't easier to walk to, I propose that the first line that Boise builds go out to the Boise Towne Square Mall. I can almost hear the groans.."The Mallllllll"..! This makes sense for a variety of reasons, some of which are highlighted on the image below.

This important link would provide major anchor destinations on each end of the route, greatly increasing ridership, and spurring an enormous amount of economic development, something the proposed downtown circulator won't accomplish. Overall length of this proposal is only roughly 20% greater than the circulator, but comes with many advantages.

Advantages:
Major Retail Exchange. Mall visitors can easily park and then ride the train downtown for a different shopping experience of urban oriented shops and cuisine. Likewise for downtown residents and shoppers that want to visit the major retail destination of the mall. City planners originally envisioned the mall downtown, which most are glad to see never happen, but this could be a compromise that creates an amicable relationship between the two economic centers.

The mall parking lot is rarely filled outside of the Christmas season and can be used as Park and Ride lot into Downtown, greatly decreasing the parking requirements for Downtown employees.

The gas refinery at the midpoint of this route has been explored for redevelopment, and is the perfect location for a very dense TOD that provides residents and visitors unparalleled access to two major anchor destinations with the Mall and Downtown only a couple stops in either direction.

This line is also valuable even for downtown travel, connecting the urban center with the proposed baseball field, community college, hospital, and white water recreation park.

Developing this link also provides the opportunity for Garden City to develop a line that taps into the Boise system. I envision this being the second line developed, because alone it doesn't provide the connectivity or anchor destinations that are required for ridership support and economic development. Once developed it opens up the potential for truly transit oriented neighborhoods across Garden City's entire grid.

The third line completes the connection of the major anchor destinations within the immediate Boise area by connecting out to the airport. This also provides the location for storage and maintenance to support a much larger rail system, and would likely replace a smaller facility along the Mall Route.

Full build out of this fantasy proposal.

I'm sure many have different views, or would tweak it this way or that, but this was done for fun, so it is what it is. I wouldn't mind getting some of those massive contracts the city has issued over the years to study this more legitimately.

Last edited by Visualize; Nov 26, 2017 at 12:46 AM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 6:20 PM

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...173260471.html

Can you get a DUI on an electric bike? Where can you ride them? Boise is working on answers.

Quote:
If adopted as planned, the law would allow electric bicycles, also called E-bikes, to have motors of no more than 750 watts, or about one horsepower. The top allowed speed would be 20 mph. Those guidelines match standards that other cities around the country have adopted, Luce said.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/local/city-...belt/495818950

Boise City Council to consider rules for electric bikes on streets, Greenbelt

Quote:
BOISE -- Cyclists who zip around the city on electric bicycles may soon have a new set of rules to contend with.

The Boise City Council will take up proposed changes to the city’s bicycle ordinance Dec. 6. The changes would specifically address electric bicycles - also known as e-bikes - which are powered by an electric motor and battery.

Parks and Recreation spokeswoman Bonnie Shelton said the use of the motorized bicycles is currently "a gray area" under city code.
The new ordinance would allow Class 1 and Class 2 e-bikes - defined as those with a power output of no more than 750 watts and a top speed of 20 miles per hour - to be ridden on Boise streets, bike lanes, and the Greenbelt.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 11:38 PM

Why not make use of the Boise Depot. I feel like Salt Lake City missed an opportunity to make use of their old Depot. I'd hate for Boise to make the same mistake. I don't know, something like this maybe:

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
Why not make use of the Boise Depot. I feel like Salt Lake City missed an opportunity to make use of their old Depot. I'd hate for Boise to make the same mistake. I don't know, something like this maybe:

Vista has minimal redevelopment potential to the degree that servicing it with light rail would make sense, especially compared to the Federal Way corridor. Commuter rail is also not at the Train Depot already, and when it is, it could be connected by a service that collects at the downtown transit hub.

Light rail would only make sense in Boise if designed as an economic stimulant for redevelopment, not to primarily serve the current populace which developed around the car and is already built out with zoning unlikely to change significantly.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 8:28 PM
Never Dell

The pedestrian crossing at Capitol and Island looks pretty important. Guessing from Google Maps, it looks like a 1000' gap between Morrison (no crosswalk on the north side!) and Royal. That's an absurd distance in an urban location, especially at a university. Basically it looks like 400' to Royal and 600' to the south side of Morrison.

I haven't lived in Boise since 1985 so don't worry about what I think.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 9:31 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
The pedestrian crossing at Capitol and Island looks pretty important. Guessing from Google Maps, it looks like a 1000' gap between Morrison (no crosswalk on the north side!) and Royal. That's an absurd distance in an urban location, especially at a university. Basically it looks like 400' to Royal and 600' to the south side of Morrison.

I haven't lived in Boise since 1985 so don't worry about what I think.
Yes, that is/was a long distance between crossings. It has been unique because the intersection of Ann Morrison Park Drive/University Drive and Capitol Blvd is kind of convoluted especially where Boise Ave meets Capitol heading north and Capitol/University meets Boise Ave heading south. The stretch of Capitol from that intersection to the river has the brick (with the new fence) island that separates north and south bound traffic, so this new crossing is a welcome addition especially with the new fine arts building being built across Capitol opposite of Island Ave. It also gives deer another crossing when they decide to leave the river and greenbelt at BSU and trot to Ann Morrison Park

I don't think there was a need for a pedestrian crossing between the AMPD/UD/CB intersection and the greenbelt tunnel under the bridge until recently because of the rapid apartment growth and gentrification in the Lusk neighborhood. Before the change in the Lusk hood, most of BSU's campus was accessed from the greenbelt, University Drive and Broadway Ave.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 10:01 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Here are some photos I shot early this morning of the new protected bike track that is under construction around the perimeter of St. Luke's expansion downtown.
Despite all of the controversy about the expansion I am looking forward to trying out this track when it is finished. The track, the greenstrip, and the sidewalk give this section of Idaho Street a Boulevard look. Maybe the hospital can extend the protected bike track down Idaho to the downtown core and the street can be renamed Idaho Boulevard

https://www.stlukesonline.org/~/medi...sion.pdf?la=en

The pics were shot on Idaho Street by the parking garage between 1st and 2nd. The link above also includes the map and more info.

The map:
http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...e%20path%20map

and a link to some of the controversy
http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...157574624.html

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualize View Post
I've taken a bit of time to imagine some other options to the downtown circulator, and fleshed out what a fully developed light rail system could look like in Boise. Of course these are fantasy proposals contingent on a ton of different factors, but a challenge I see worth pursuing...

I absolutely agree about the effectiveness of your proposed system vs. the current streetcar proposal. Someone should leak your ideas to the city and hope they pick up on it's superiority. Politicians often have a difficult time seeing the better choice and I wonder why we have them make design and transportation decisions when they have no background in design or transportation.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 4:44 PM

Thanks Sawtooth! You photo contributions are a treasure especially for those of us who currently live outside of Boise.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 3:15 AM

Seconded! Thanks, Sawtooth! I love these protected bike lanes and want more of them. I'm a wimp about riding a bike in traffic. I've been known to use the sidewalk in high traffic areas. Sorry, pedestrians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaBoi View Post
Thanks Sawtooth! You photo contributions are a treasure especially for those of us who currently live outside of Boise.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West