HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 8:16 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...e-long-way-off

By David M Levitt
July 27, 2017

Quote:
...The new rules would generally allow owners to build as much as 18 to 27 times the area of their site, requiring them to buy air rights to achieve the maximums under the law. They can acquire air rights primarily from two sources: the unused development rights of the many landmarked buildings in the area, or by contributing to a fund to pay for mass-transit improvements at Grand Central Terminal and other subway stations affected by the anticipated higher densities.

...One of the first towers expected to follow SL Green’s is at the former Metropolitan Transportation Authority headquarters at 343 Madison Ave., two blocks north of 1 Vanderbilt. Boston Properties Inc. last year was designated the developer of that site, where it plans a 900,000-square-foot building. In an April 2016 conference call, Chief Executive Officer Owen Thomas described the project as “likely several years out.” The MTA site was part of the earlier rezoning.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 8:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That's a nice old building though. Shame.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 1:23 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
That's a nice old building though. Shame.
Meh.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 4:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Meh.

Ok, most of the tower is pretty dull overall, but the base is worth something. If you keep knocking down all these "meh" towers, you'll find a more generic midtown soon.

Last edited by aquablue; Aug 1, 2017 at 6:01 AM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2020, 12:38 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Meh.

More fantastic pre-war buildings biting the dust. These buildings may not be particularly ornate or worthy of landmark status, but they're part of a uniquely NYC vernacular. Cities like Philly, Chicago, and maybe a few others only have them in limited quantity.

How much longer does this have to continue before you, Crawford, et al. start growing concerned? Do you guys really think 74 Trinity was a fair trade-off? It's boring and doesn't even make an impact on the skyline.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 4:23 PM
BANNED

NY Guy, you seen to have insight into these filings. Is there any technical reason why they’re filing for a smaller tower? Maybe BP just thinks that a smaller spec tower would be easier to finance.

https://newyorkyimby.com/2022/08/bos...town-east.html

Boston Properties Files Permits For 49-Story Tower At 343 Madison Avenue In Midtown East

The most recent renderings of 343 Madison Avenue. It is unclear if the design has been altered for the new construction filing. Designed by Kohn Pedersen Fox
BY: VANESSA LONDONO 6:30 AM ON AUGUST 7, 2022
Permits have been filed for a 49-story commercial high rise at 343 Madison Avenue in Midtown East, Manhattan. Located between East 44th and 45th Streets, the 25,000-square-foot rectangular site is one block from the Grand Central-42nd Street subway station, serviced by the 4, 5, 6, 7, and S trains and MetroNorth rails. Boston Properties is listed as the owner behind the applications.

The new tower is significantly smaller than the proposed 1,050-square-foot supertall with 55 stories that would have yield 832,613 square feet of office space, 5,357 square feet of retail space, and 5,357 square feet of subterranean circulation paths to Grand Central Terminal and the future East Side Access project. The filed permits call for a 780-foot-tall development that will yield 750,400 square feet of commercial space, a contradiction to the rezoning plans approved by City Council in November 2021, so it is possible these permits are not final. The steel-based structure will also have three loading berths and multiple cellar levels.

Kohn Pedersen Fox is listed as the architect of record.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 4:24 PM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post

Boston Properties Files Permits For 49-Story Tower At 343 Madison Avenue In Midtown East

The most recent renderings of 343 Madison Avenue. It is unclear if the design has been altered for the new construction filing. Designed by Kohn Pedersen Fox
BY: VANESSA LONDONO 6:30 AM ON AUGUST 7, 2022
Permits have been filed for a 49-story commercial high rise at 343 Madison Avenue in Midtown East, Manhattan. Located between East 44th and 45th Streets, the 25,000-square-foot rectangular site is one block from the Grand Central-42nd Street subway station, serviced by the 4, 5, 6, 7, and S trains and MetroNorth rails. Boston Properties is listed as the owner behind the applications.

The new tower is significantly smaller than the proposed 1,050-square-foot supertall with 55 stories that would have yield 832,613 square feet of office space, 5,357 square feet of retail space, and 5,357 square feet of subterranean circulation paths to Grand Central Terminal and the future East Side Access project. The filed permits call for a 780-foot-tall development that will yield 750,400 square feet of commercial space, a contradiction to the rezoning plans approved by City Council in November 2021, so it is possible these permits are not final. The steel-based structure will also have three loading berths and multiple cellar levels.

Kohn Pedersen Fox is listed as the architect of record.
I cannot believe it. They lied to us.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 4:29 PM

Hold up, hold up.

Like YIMhudson was saying

"sounds like they used a pre-FAR bonus calculation for the filing. This would be multiple floors shorter than the proposal that was being presented to the city the past year. That would make no sense."

https://zap.planning.nyc.gov/projects/2020M0494

"Project Description
The Applicants are seeking to construct a 1,050-foot-tall commercial building with a total floor
area of 925,630 square feet and a total zoned floor area of 753,120 square feet (or 30.0 FAR).
The base of the building would be 321 feet, with a setback on all frontages and a cantilever over
the utility building on Lot 25. The building’s lobby as well as ground floor retail spaces would
Nos. C210369ZSM and C210370ZSM – 343 Madison Avenue
Page 3 of 9
front Madison Avenue, while the proposed East Side Access transit entrance will be located at
the corner of Madison Avenue and East 45th Street."

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 4:35 PM
BANNED

[QUOTE=MAC123;9696103]Hold up, hold up.

Like YIMhudson was saying

"sounds like they used a pre-FAR bonus calculation for the filing. This would be multiple floors shorter than the proposal that was being presented to the city the past year. That would make no sense." [Quote]

That’s what I was wondering.

Last edited by JMKeynes; Oct 9, 2022 at 12:59 AM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 5:05 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
NY Guy, you seen to have insight into these filings. Is there any technical reason why they’re filing for a smaller tower? Maybe BP just thinks that a smaller spec tower would be easier to finance.

The new tower is significantly smaller than the proposed 1,050-square-foot supertall with 55 stories that would have yield 832,613 square feet of office space, 5,357 square feet of retail space, and 5,357 square feet of subterranean circulation paths to Grand Central Terminal and the future East Side Access project. The filed permits call for a 780-foot-tall development that will yield 750,400 square feet of commercial space

The only reason I would have for the difference in filings and plans is that the air rights transfers aren’t complete. We see it all the time. I’m surprised they would be filing NB permits this early, considering how much demo is left to complete.

As usual, time will show what’s going on.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 5:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The only reason I would have for the difference in filings and plans is that the air rights transfers aren’t complete. We see it all the time. I’m surprised they would be filing NB permits this early, considering how much demo is left to complete.

As usual, time will show what’s going on.
That’s what I assumed, but I figured that you could provide further insight. Thanks

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 6:09 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
That’s what I assumed, but I figured that you could provide further insight. Thanks
Well, I’m not 100% certain that’s the case, but is a strong possibility. I’m still waiting on the full filing for 3 Hudson, a tower that fiked NB permits a few years ago. Last I checked, it was still a stump.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 12:16 AM
New Yorker for life

Another one not long for this world...

OCTOBER 8, 2022

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 4:04 PM
New Yorker for life

Some images from the wind tunnel test...

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 4:11 PM

Ugh, please don't tell me that's the smaller model

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 9:14 PM
BANNED

https://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/J...ssdocnumber=01

It’s odd that this project isn’t on BP’s or KPF’s websites.

https://www.bxp.com/regions/new-york

Last edited by JMKeynes; Jan 21, 2023 at 10:02 PM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 10:38 PM

This is being developed by Boston Properties, and will likely be the second office tower to go up in the rezoned Grand Central neighborhood.

Relatively small site and 900k developable area (not counting any air rights purchases) so I would assume something very tall and rather thin for an office tower. Possibly a supertall.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 4:06 AM
BANNED

These buildings are almost totally empty. I wonder if demo is imminent.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 12:56 PM

I hope Boston Properties delivers a spectacular supertall. This is an A+ location.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 3:07 PM
BANNED

I agree, but I doubt it. BP builds crap in NY.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals