HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
The Herald, for one:
The store will cost the company about $100 million, Sjostrand said.

“It’s a huge investment,” he said in an interview.

“But for us, it’s important to do this type of investment, especially for us now moving east, and that’s fantastic and to really stand up and say coast to coast, which is really important for us.”
Full text

AllNovaScotia also reported Sjostrand as saying that at "roughly $100 million", it's a "large investment for us".
At $100 million it will be appear on the assessment roll at a slightly lower number. Taxes will be under $3 million a year
MicMac Mall is on the roll at $195.4mn
Halifax Centre on Mumford Road (northern side ) is on the roll at $233 mn

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
At $100 million it will be appear on the assessment roll at a slightly lower number. Taxes will be under $3 million a year
MicMac Mall is on the roll at $195.4mn
Halifax Centre on Mumford Road (northern side ) is on the roll at $233 mn
Assessed value depends on whether Ikea bought the site or is leasing it. If they own it there will not only be a higher assessment but HRM will get a deed transfer tax one-time windfall.

At $3 million in tax revenue a year it is a fairly significant source of funds, even for an out of control spender like HRM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
(I'm disposed to dislike AllNS in part because the writing and reporting quality is often so shoddy. But that's pretty standard for local journalism...)
And they're a gossipy step or two above Frank Magazine in terms of class

I think it's kind of funny to lampoon their outrage by making up names that rhyme with All Nova Scotia or by alluding to them in not-at-all-subtle descriptors.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
The "convention" is silly and it's time to scrap it.

If AllNovaScotia can build its business and pay underemployed journalists by peddling overpriced subscriptions under a brand of exclusivity, I say more power to them. The SSP is under no obligation to help them.

Canadian copyright law is quite clear and does not protect ANS any more or less than it protects the Chronicle Herald, the Globe and Mail or the Digby Courier for that matter.

One of the clearest expressions of the law I know comes from Innovation, Science and Development Canada:
It is the expression of facts that is protected by copyright, not the facts themselves. For example, the facts in a magazine article are in the public domain. Anyone can use those facts as long as they do not copy the way the author of the article has expressed them. As long as you use your own words, you will not infringe copyright.
In short, you can mention, cite, even quote with attribution small portions of an article from any published source without running afoul of Canadian copyright law.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=209421

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 2:24 AM
Unregistered Loser

“We look forward to serving the Halifax market and are confident that we will have a positive impact on the community as well as the economy through directly and in-directly creating nearly 500 jobs.”

- http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/about_ikea...canada_halifax

500 jobs is also a plus.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 7:29 PM

It really is significant that in North America there will be no other metropolitan areas with a population in the 500,000 range with a full-sized IKEA store. Winnipeg is really the only other store with a nearby metropolitan area under a million.

It will be interesting to see what other medium-sized markets in Canada eventually get a full-sized store.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 8:40 PM

Interesting. Canada clearly has many more IKEA stores per capita than the US. This will get more apparent in the coming years.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post

It really is significant that in North America there will be no other metropolitan areas with a population in the 500,000 range with a full-sized IKEA store. Winnipeg is really the only other store with a nearby metropolitan area under a million.

It will be interesting to see what other medium-sized markets in Canada eventually get a full-sized store.
I've been curious about this as well. Anyone care to venture their guess for the top ten list? I'll start:

1) Halifax (of course, already announced)
2) London
3) Quebec City (These two absolutely make sense given their size, and the reception their "pick-up" stores have already enjoyed)
4) Saskatoon or Regina (One, but not both. Sask. is slightly larger, but Regina is in the running since they seem to be the cultural center of Saskatchewan)*
5) Victoria (a bit of a stretch to Vancouver for service, and a lot of interest up and down the gulf island communities I bet)

now it gets tricky...

6) Edmonton II
7) Calgary II
8) Ottawa II (I'd be willing to bet that they will open a second store in these three municipalities that are each over 1,000,000 pop.)

I'm not sure on 9 and 10. Possibly a Vancouver III, and/or a Montreal III. I just don't have a good sense of how busy the current stores are servicing those large markets. Also another Southern Ontario location is possible, either Hamilton (not sure how close the western most Metro TO. store is to Hamilton) or Windsor.

Apologies to Moncton and St. John's. I'm almost certain Moncton will not get a full-size store with one in Halifax, although a pick-up location is a maybe if they continue with more of the concept - Especially once Halifax is running and could serve as a mini-FC. Same for St. John's. I don't think there is enough surrounding population to bolster a full-size store, and Strosjand seemed to be saying that opening in Halifax would make IKEA a true "Coast to Coast" retailer - so I can't hold hope out that they will go any further.

* Also apologies to Saskatoon(ers?) I don't really know enough about Regina/Saskatoon to call one the cultural center of Saskatchewan over the other, except that Regina is the capital city, has Mosaic Field, The RoughRiders, and has hosted the Rolling Stones. Maybe not enough to make Regina a cultural hub, but enough to consider them for IKEA, imho.

Last edited by terrynorthend; Feb 7, 2016 at 10:45 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 8:48 PM

The Burlington Store is essentially on the border of Hamilton, a Hamilton store won't happen. I would expect another GTA store, possibly one in the east end such as Pickering, or one in Brampton or Milton.

GTA Ikea's are insanely busy, especially during peak times.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
The Burlington Store is essentially on the border of Hamilton, a Hamilton store won't happen. I would expect another GTA store, possibly one in the east end such as Pickering, or one in Brampton or Milton.

What's interesting is Western New York State (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse) is lacking IKEA and a lot of the locals drive to the Burlington store to shop. I would think at least a renovated store with more square footage is due for Burlington/Hamilton.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 11:26 PM

Interesting U.S. map. Looking at the wikipedia metropolitan census numbers it appears they have a store in all of the top 29 largest metro areas and few if any outside of that. #30 is Las Vegas with 2.0 million people which is well above our current minimum of 0.6 million.

BTW if Halifax were listed we would be around #125.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
What's interesting is Western New York State (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse) is lacking IKEA and a lot of the locals drive to the Burlington store to shop. I would think at least a renovated store with more square footage is due for Burlington/Hamilton.
I'm pretty sure the burlington ikea is being rebuilt somewhere... I remember seeing the plans... it was much larger... just up the 403 towards oakville? unless it was scrapped

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Interesting U.S. map. Looking at the wikipedia metropolitan census numbers it appears they have a store in all of the top 29 largest metro areas and few if any outside of that. #30 is Las Vegas with 2.0 million people which is well above our current minimum of 0.6 million.

BTW if Halifax were listed we would be around #125.
Las Vegas is getting a store this year.. LOL

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 1:10 AM

I honestly think London Ontario will get a big store (2-3 years?).. the PickUP up is apparently doing very well... it also seems very temporary.. like it was opened up quickly and not much was done to the space

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetea93 View Post
Interesting. Canada clearly has many more IKEA stores per capita than the US. This will get more apparent in the coming years.
Somewhat interestingly quite a few of the US stores are significantly smaller than the one proposed for Dartmouth Crossing.

Tempe AZ 27000 msq
San Diego CA 19000 msq
Sacramento CA 24000 msq
Pittsburgh PA 18000 msq

These cities are significantly larger than Halifax.

Stores constructed lately in the US are around 30 000 msq.

Atlanta GA 31600 msq. in a city of 6 million.
St. Louis 32600 msq opened in November 2015.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 12:15 AM

Those U.S. stores are likely older. Pittsburgh dates back to 1989 for example. In general the IKEA stores have grown a lot lately. When the Winnipeg store opened it was the largest in Canada, now the new Ottawa store is the largest.

I also think a third Montreal store and 1-2 more GTA stores are more likely than second Edmonton, Calgary, and Ottawa stores.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 5:26 PM
BUILD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post

I usually go to the one in Burlington and it's definitely a zoo on the weekends. The only thing I don't like about it is its location: right where the 403/407/QEW all merge together....

If they were to build another store in the GTA I could see them building a store in either Brampton or North Mississauga (think Steeles Ave. east of Winston Churchill). Milton is booming but it's still only a 25 min drive to Burlington and 30 to the store in Etobicoke (speaking from experience).

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 1:30 AM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
I'm not sure on 9 and 10. Possibly a Vancouver III, and/or a Montreal III
No way Vancouver will get a 3rd IKEA for a very long time.

The Richmond location was just re-built and hugely expanded 3 years ago and according to a source I have at IKEA, was delayed for many years after the Coquitlam store opened in 2000. The powers-that-be at IKEA had apparently underestimated how close the two stores were and avoided expanding the Richmond store due to the cannibalization risk.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 1:52 PM

On IKEA's main website they now have a large link to "Join the IKEA Halifax 2017 team" http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_CA/this-is...vailable-jobs/

It's funny they specifically mention first opening their doors in Canada back in 1976 (in Halifax).

For those who missed it, here is a replay of the IKEA Live Press Conference Jan 22 2016 in Halifax by haligonia.ca:
Video Link

Last edited by q12; Feb 11, 2016 at 2:32 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 1:52 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlewis91 View Post
I honestly think London Ontario will get a big store (2-3 years?).. the PickUP up is apparently doing very well... it also seems very temporary.. like it was opened up quickly and not much was done to the space
in St. Catharines we're getting a pick-up location soon. I'm hoping it's real successful so that Niagara finally gets an Ikea!
To me, it makes sense with 430k+ residents and another 1.12M in Buffalo/WNY directly across the border.

congrats Halifax on scoring an Ikea!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs