HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 8:56 PM

Yet another brewery that's going to start in Hamilton soon: http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2014...n-in-hamilton/

I think that makes it three (The other two being The Hamilton Brewery, the one owned by Flat Rock Cellars) that are planning on moving to town and some unspecified future date?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 1:37 PM

This one is being started by actual brewers! Finally some hope.....

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 2:25 PM

Beer brewing returning to Lakeport plant

Quote:
Beer brewing is returning to Burlington Street.

Arts and Science Brewing Ltd. and the Hamilton Port Authority will announce Wednesday morning that the craft brewer will be setting up shop in the site of the former Lakeport brewer.
Better Bitters Brewing Company, makers of Nickel Brook Beer, has been in negotiations with the authority on locating in the Lakeport plant. Arts and Science is a partnership between Better Bitters and Collective Arts Brewing Ltd.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 9:35 PM

New craft brewery bubbles up at former Lakeport site
Arts & Science partnership looks to tap into Hamilton's 'cultural renaissance'
CBC News: Hamilton
By: Cory Ruf

Two companies looking to tap into Hamilton's burgeoning “cultural renaissance” are bringing beer production back to the former Lakeport brewery on Burlington Street.

Nickel Brook Brewing Co., of Burlington, and Collective Arts Brewing have unveiled their Arts & Science Brewing Co. partnership. The collaboration will see both craft brewers produce out of the 67-year-old facility, located at 201 Burlington St. E, by the fall.

Labatt, which bought Lakeport in 2007, closed the brewery in 2010, laying off 143 workers and stripping the building of its brewing equipment.

"It's no longer the Lakeport facility," said John Romano, co-founder of Nickel Brook Brewing Co., at a Wednesday news conference inside the building.

"It's the Arts & Science facility beginning now until forever," he said, to some applause.

Nickel Brook and Collective Arts, he said, purchased beer-making equipment from a former Sleeman brewery in Nova Scotia in the winter and have begun to ship it to the Hamilton factory.

The companies will be leasing the building from the Hamilton Port Authority. Romano wouldn't give dollar values, but he said the port authority is leasing the site at a "reduced rate" for a year and a half.

He said he hopes the site will be up and running by the end of the year. Collective Arts, Romano said, will be brewing two beers to start, while Nickel Brook will make six beers along with "some seasonal brews."

Space for art, music

To start, the facility will create 20 jobs related to beer production, Linda Yahya, a spokeswoman for Arts & Science, told CBC Hamilton.

However, she said more employment opportunities will stem from the 10,000-square-foot retail and hospitality space that the companies have planned for the site, which they envision as a venue for live music and art exhibitions.

“Arts & Science Brewing is proud to bring a brewery that not only gives great beer back to the city, but also offers a new artistic hub,” said Matt Johnston, co-founder of Collective Arts Brewing, in a Tuesday news release.

“We recognize the current cultural renaissance happening in the city — much of it concentrated in the James Street North area — and we are confident Hamiltonians will embrace our commitment to excellence and creativity in our beer-making and in our support of the arts.”

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 5:44 PM

I'm excited about this one. Really hope they focus on the more social, creative side of the business. Would love a great music venue and brewpub in the North End.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 4:58 AM

Spoke with the Collective Arts guys at SuperCrawl tonight. Brewery is opening on Burlington street in February next year with a retail store, bar and 500 person performance venue. Get hyped people.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interr0bangr View Post
Spoke with the Collective Arts guys at SuperCrawl tonight. Brewery is opening on Burlington street in February next year with a retail store, bar and 500 person performance venue. Get hyped people.
wow sounds promising. where exactly on burlington street?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
wow sounds promising. where exactly on burlington street?
The old Lakeport brewery at Burlington/Wellington that borders Eastwood Park.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 1:14 PM

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 5:05 PM

Hamilton Brewery hoping to have beer on tap this fall
(Hamilton Spectator, Saira Peesker, Sept 22 2014)

At long last, The Hamilton Brewery is planning to have a beer on bar taps this fall. But after failing to find a location or achieve its fundraising target, it has brewed up a slightly different way of getting there.

The brainchild of former infantryman Warren Pyper, the original plan was to open Hamilton's first bricks-and-mortar microbrewery, which could then do contract brews for other organizations. Now, Pyper's vision has flipped to one where he'll start by having his beer produced by another brewer, allowing him to get a product to consumers before launching his own brewery.

"We have to get to the marketplace," said Pyper, who's been gathering investors to back his dream for about three years. "We didn't want to build the beer buzz to have some other company swoop in."

That's a reference to Collective Arts brewery, which launched beer last fall and has since purchased the former Lakeport brewing facility on Burlington Street in partnership with Nickel Brook Brewing.

"When Collective Arts and Nickel Brook made their announcement we knew we'd have to get into the marketplace, so that's what we did."

Read it in full here.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 5:19 PM

"We didn't want to build the beer buzz to have some other company swoop in."

If this guy thinks he built the "beer buzz" he's sadly mistaken. Any initial buzz wore off quickly, when nothing materialized. Now playing catchup, Warren will do what others have done for years: contract-brew at another brewery.

Meantime, Garden Brewers continues to advance, with their release of Piperales. The new Collective Arts brewery is coming together for a launch early in 2015. Both of these brewers were at Supercrawl. Their buzz grows.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 12:20 PM

I have nothing to do with this listing other than I want to see Dundurn evolve into a thriving retail street, and think it can. I have no idea why the listing agent says to “look into microbrewery use” (maybe it would be a convenient location for him to drink at), but perhaps Mr. Pyper can look into it. I admit that it would be a fairly ideal location for contracting beers for restaurants downtown/Locke Street/Westdale, and for a tasting room/bar/whatever.

Anyway, too bad he could not find a location: I was pretty excited about The Hamilton Brewery. But he’s right to have someone brew it for him at first- it will seem more “real” to funders, I expect, when he is already selling product.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 7:03 PM

^^ His latest: http://thehamiltonbrewery.com/2014/0...at-is-to-come/

His problem wasn't about finding a location. His problems are so much bigger. I do hope he succeeds, but I think he needs to get some hands-on experience in the business.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 4:09 AM

The building owner is a big talker so temper all expectations, but the plans is to open a micro brewery/pub in the old Firestone building at the north west corner of King William/Wellington. I've been inside to see the space and it's big enough to do some amazing things if he wants to.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interr0bangr View Post
The building owner is a big talker so temper all expectations, but the plans is to open a micro brewery/pub in the old Firestone building at the north west corner of King William/Wellington. I've been inside to see the space and it's big enough to do some amazing things if he wants to.
Please provide some details! Is the owner a developer or someone with brewing experience? Does he have $500k-$1.5million to spend on this?

There's a site, http://www.momandhops.ca, with a brewers directory. It lists all the Ontario breweries no matter what stage of build-out they're in. If he's serious, he should list there.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
Please provide some details! Is the owner a developer or someone with brewing experience? Does he have $500k-$1.5million to spend on this?

There's a site, http://www.momandhops.ca, with a brewers directory. It lists all the Ontario breweries no matter what stage of build-out they're in. If he's serious, he should list there.
I don't think the money is a problem, but the lack of experience might be. He has zero brewing experience as far as I know. If I ever hear any worthwhile updates I'll definitely keep people posted.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 12:21 AM

Last edited by Pigeon; Aug 17, 2022 at 1:31 PM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
I believe that it is a prospective tennant that is looking to open a brew-pub within the old Vacuum Shop at King William/Wellington and not solely the owner of the building. Plans for redevelopment of this building are underway and it should be a great booster for that area.
I knew it was purchased, but that sounds amazing! This area is blowing up! I pledge to be a frequent customer lol. I just hope it doesn't make the area stink as bad as Lakeport did...

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 1:27 AM

^Was that Lakeport or Canamera? I was never quite sure.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 2:03 AM
Ham-burgher

I don't recall Lakeport having a smell, but only going through there occasionally I would easily have missed it.

The cooking oil processing however... that seems to linger and travel to various parts of the city depending on the wind and local atmospheric conditions

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation