HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 4:03 PM

Burnside One | 350' | 30 floors | Proposed

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 4:49 PM

That's an odd one. Aside from the fact that it would need to go through the Historic Landmarks Commission, the site is zoned for 75' max height. Maybe there's some recent state level override of that, but if there is I can't recall it.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
That's an odd one. Aside from the fact that it would need to go through the Historic Landmarks Commission, the site is zoned for 75' max height. Maybe there's some recent state level override of that, but if there is I can't recall it.
Plus the footprint is very narrow. It would be like a 30-story billboard.

I'm wondering if the address is a misprint.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 6:06 PM

The footprint is probably not just that one tax lot. It is just the one they attached it to. The other vacant lots are the same owner, so it is probably all of them combined.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2023, 2:24 AM

Id love to see a tower this size on these lots, especially affordable housing, but... with this being under historic design review, it being surrounded by historic buildings (some very iconic, eg. New Market Annex/Theater, Bickel Building, etc), and the current zoning, I'd say this is dead on arrival. Prove me wrong Portland!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2023, 2:59 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Whoa. 30 stories of affordable housing, somewhere near that location? ...presumably on one of the vacant lots? Oh, heck yeah!!! It would be in for a fight, but it would be so good for that neighborhood if they can manage to get it done.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2023, 6:32 PM

The owner is Skidmore Fountain Plaza, LLC and they have been organized since 2012 so I assume they have some knowledge of the zoning. The other section of the block is owned by the Salvation Army.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2023, 7:48 PM

I really hope they do this, we need the height in that area and the housing.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2023, 8:12 PM

I recall that nothing in the district is supposed to be taller than the "Old Town" water tower on the White Stag building.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2023, 8:34 PM

Wonder if it's an opening gambit to test the city's openness to relaxing zoning requirements in the area. Old Town desperately needs investment, but clearly it hasn't been happening with incremental 6-7 story projects. Will be interesting to see what follows.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2023, 8:24 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopdx View Post
Plus the footprint is very narrow. It would be like a 30-story billboard.

I'm wondering if the address is a misprint.
It's over half the block, the skinny building lot, the vacant lot to the west, and the parking lot to the south. So in theory a 30 story building could go there.

Personally I would love to see some new residential towers going up in the vacant lots and parking lots in Old Town, the height restrictions in that area make no sense to me. I would get wanting to preserve the low building feel of Old Town if urban renewal and Harbor Drive never mowed down a bunch of historic buildings.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 11:30 PM

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Net-zero high-rise proposed for downtown Portland site

Downtown Portland could soon see a massive influx of affordable apartments in just one project.

Access Architecture recently initiated the process to discuss with the Portland Bureau of Development Services the possibility of constructing a 30-story (approximately 350 feet tall), net-zero building. “Burnside One” would hold approximately 700 affordable housing units atop ground-floor commercial space.

The proposed location for Burnside One is a half-block at 108 W. Burnside St., adjacent to MAX light-rail tracks.

The project is the second collaboration between Access Architecture and developer Curtis Rystadt. Their previous joint effort, TimberView, an eight-story, mass-timber building with 105 affordable housing units, is under construction in the Gateway neighborhood.

Rystadt’s mission is to add affordable housing downtown but in a way that lowers resident costs through sustainable measures. One for Burnside One would be the inclusion of a heating and cooling system that draws heat from the ground or water in cooler months, distributes it throughout the building, and returns it to those sources in warmer months.
...continues at the DJC.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
It's over half the block, the skinny building lot, the vacant lot to the west, and the parking lot to the south. So in theory a 30 story building could go there.

Personally I would love to see some new residential towers going up in the vacant lots and parking lots in Old Town, the height restrictions in that area make no sense to me. I would get wanting to preserve the low building feel of Old Town if urban renewal and Harbor Drive never mowed down a bunch of historic buildings.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out with the height limitations and dealing with HLC.

Considering we are in such dire need of affordable housing, hopefully, there will be some give.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 6:38 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

The thing where the balconies shift position looks more like a glitch than actual design, but everything else about it looks like a great starting point. Obviously, it'll go through changes, if we're fortunate enough to see it ever built, but I like the way the podium fits the typical height of the neighborhood, and the glass tower rising above it is mostly very minimal, calling less attention to itself.

There's a lot to like here.

This, and developing the Goodman lots, could be amazing for downtown.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 1:35 PM

This will be interesting. I don't think there is a location with more an issue for crime/sidewalk camps in the entire city than that specific block, so I can't image many people looking to move there, at least not at first. But it will effectively need to be gentrified to be cleaned up, so maybe this is a good first step. Unfortunately with all the entrenched different services in the area, literally on every surrounding block, it might never get fully cleaned up. So what will give?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 3:14 PM

I sincerely doubt this proposal will come to anything but I hope it does spur a serioius discussion about height limits in old town. This part of the city is a very expensive place to build. Making development pencil requires an economy of scale that's difficult to reach with 6 or 7 story buildings.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 4:14 PM

I'd be so curious to see how this would sit in the skyline esp. vs. big pink, white stag sign etc. Not sure if anyone has the tools to drop a block like that into an image of the city.

I'm so impressed with the boldness of the concept ... especially dropping it into ground zero of Portland urban blight. I'd like to be hopeful for big move like this to address housing crisis, but this feels like one that is going to get the Honeyman hardware loft treatment by the Debbie Downers that control design review.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 4:50 PM

It's not even up to design review staff. 33.510.210.B.1 of the zoning code says that "Adjustments to height limits shown on Map 510-3 are prohibited." (emphasis mine). In this case "prohibited" means that there's no way to get it approved.

Last edited by maccoinnich; Aug 2, 2023 at 6:08 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 5:25 PM

I would love to live there. Just a working 59 yr. old stiff who can't afford to live on my own with current rent cost. This is the kind of development that could spur a cleaning up of that area. You already have the Saturday market in that area. Having affordable , workforce , type of housing would be great to get a quality 24 hour presence in that area. Nice looking building too. I'd be proud to have a studio in that structure. Close to games, and activities. Maybe those old planning rules were perfect for the old times. This is a new day, with larger problems. Time to bend those rules and get development done that puts a major dent in the housing crisis of today.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland