HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Today, 1:31 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Man Walnut Street can’t catch a damn break with these brands struggling and filing for bankruptcy. What’s that this year alone? 4 or 5? More? Outdoor Voices, Allbirds, Express, Bonobos… Scotch & Soda - was that this year? Atmos - was that this year? Just craziness. One step forward and one step back continuously for Walnut Street.
Yea, stinks to have 3 spaces filled and then another 3 open up... But at least most of the recent closures are big-picture retail issues versus Philadelphia specific.

Hopefully the success of new mainstream retailers will catch the attention of others to consider (or return to) Walnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
I get that these lists are bogus, but it just gets annoying just not seeing Philadelphia even mentioned. https://preply.com/en/blog/most-walkable-cities-in-us/
Philadelphia overlooked for one of its strongest traits... what else is new...

I didn't bother reading the entire "study", but measuring steps to specific landmarks is a narrow study. Part of a walk-able city is the experience of walking from Landmark A to Landmark B, no matter how far apart.

Downtown Dallas in a nutshell is a few pockets of landmarks/sites and a generally barren auto-oriented streetscape everywhere else. A test for tourists, visit Dallas without a car and see how walk-able it is.

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; Today at 2:21 PM.

Old Posted Today, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
I get that these lists are bogus, but it just gets annoying just not seeing Philadelphia even mentioned. https://preply.com/en/blog/most-walkable-cities-in-us/
Good Lord! I've seen a lot of utterly useless urban-focused rankings in my day, but that has to be the worst I've ever seen.

LOL, Texas being the most walkable state for tourists. I saw more elevated highways all over Dallas in just a mere few days than I've seen before in my entire life.

Perply should stick to tutoring.

Old Posted Today, 1:58 PM

I'd rather see the CSX rails capped
Schuylkill Banks 3-17-24 b cropped by , on Flickr

thank you very much [/QUOTE]

Has capping the CSX rails ever been proposed or analyzed?

Old Posted Today, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
But ONLY if you drink to OUR BELOVED CORPS! SEMPER FI!
I belong to multiple organizations founded there, but I'm sure I can quaff a pint for the jarheads too.

Old Posted Today, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio5 View Post

Has capping the CSX rails ever been proposed or analyzed?
Unlikely given their eventual desire to run double stacks on that route. I also don't see them electrifying any time soon, so any cap would need ventilation.

Old Posted Today, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I belong to multiple organizations founded there, but I'm sure I can quaff a pint for the jarheads too.
Quote:
In homage to the likely 1775 Tun Tavern menu, the U.S. Marine Corps National Museum located in Quantico, Virginia, contains a Tun Tavern-themed restaurant, whose lunch menu includes beer and other fermented (alcoholic) beverages, peanut soup and bread pudding, the non-alcoholic recipe of which remains a traditional staple among some U.S. Marine food services to this day.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tun_Tavern

Old Posted Today, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Unlikely given their eventual desire to run double stacks on that route. I also don't see them electrifying any time soon, so any cap would need ventilation.
curious and could not google the answer are they still running "bomb" trains through center city?

Old Posted Today, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ok-ez View Post
curious and could not google the answer are they still running "bomb" trains through center city?
If by "bomb" you mean ethanol, yes.

Old Posted Today, 7:21 PM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
The cap is the same height as the bridges that cross over the rails. It spans from bridge to bridge, If double stacks can go under the bridges they can go under the cap.
The face of the cap is a growing green screen (with infused LEDs) with places for art installations the entire length, so ventilation is not an issue.
This would be a Chicago-like solution.
The only problem is with problematic CSX

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development