HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i noticed that same lot when we were at the park on sunday and was curious as well, but forgot to ask about it here.

just about anything will be better than what it's replacing, but i'm hoping it's at least 4 or 5 floors because i love higher streetwalls on park edges, giving more enclosure to the park space.
There is no sign advertising it. I agree, it should be at least 3 stories, preferably 4.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 3:31 PM
The City

Just go read what the permit says.

Or, what's the address? Permits are public info

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Just go read what the permit says.

Or, what's the address? Permits are public info
Don't know the exact address. I can go read the permit I guess. The lot is pretty big, almost half of the block from Montrose to Sunnyside.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 4:22 PM

4430 N. Western

Quick check shows this address received a permit March 8, 2018 for a 4 story 6 unit building with ground floor commercial.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 4:24 PM

4430 N WESTERN AVE

Description: NEW CONSTRUCTION, 4 STORY BUILDING WITH ROOF TOP STAIR ENCLOSURES AND ROOF DECKS. SIX RESIDENTIAL UNITS WITH BALCONIES ABOVE A GROUND FLOOR COMMERCIAL UNIT AND GARAGE. SOLID MASONRY 3-B CONSTRUCTION. CURRENT USE IS BUSINESS, PROPOSED MIXED USE A-2, F, H-3

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 4:24 PM
devout Pizzatarian

here's what i found.

2 separate permits for 2 adjacent addresses, so i'm guessing two adjacent but separate buildings by the same developer:

4430 N Western:

NEW CONSTRUCTION, 4 STORY BUILDING WITH ROOF TOP STAIR ENCLOSURES AND ROOF DECKS. SIX RESIDENTIAL UNITS WITH BALCONIES ABOVE A GROUND FLOOR COMMERCIAL UNIT AND GARAGE.

4438 N Western:

NEW CONSTRUCTION, 4 STORY BUILDING WITH ROOF TOP STAIR ENCLOSURES AND ROOF DECKS. SIX RESIDENTIAL UNITS WITH BALCONIES ABOVE A GROUND FLOOR COMMERCIAL UNIT AND GARAGE.

which makes sense because the lot cleared is way too big for just 6 units above ground floor commercial.

i'm glad to see 4 stories, as that will be a decent height for the western wall of welles park.

edit: rendering (sorry for the size, i didn't realize it was 8 gazillion pixels)

source: http://www.longfordconstruction.com/

Last edited by Steely Dan; May 9, 2018 at 4:35 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 4:38 PM

Quote:
here's what i found.

2 separate permits for 2 adjacent addresses, so i'm guessing two adjacent but separate buildings by the same developer:

4430 N Western:

4438 N Western:

which makes sense because the lot cleared is way too big for just 6 units above ground floor commercial.

i'm glad to see 4 stories, as that will be a decent height for the western wall of welles park.

edit: rendering (sorry for the size, i didn't realize it was 8 gazillion pixels)

I dig the smaller retail arcades at ground level - will (hopefully) create a cozy outdoor space for a restaurant/coffee shop.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 5:01 PM
Urbane observer

Alas, what we usually get are dentists or real estate offices. You'll notice there's no provision for signage.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 5:24 PM

Thanks Steely, I was going to say, those would have been 6 massive units for the size of the site.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 5:41 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Alas, what we usually get are dentists or real estate offices. You'll notice there's no provision for signage.
Or Nail salons, or UPS stores.

But to be honest, cities need these too.

Not every street can feel like Paris, lines with miles and miles of bakeries and cafes

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 5:49 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
or thai restaurants.

that stretch of western already has like 5 thai places, what's one more?

i will never fully understand chicago's unusual preponderance of thai restaurants.

and i really like thai food, but how can there be so many?

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 6:21 PM

Quote:
or thai restaurants.

that stretch of western already has like 5 thai places, what's one more?

i will never fully understand chicago's unusual preponderance of thai restaurants.

and i really like thai food, but how can there be so many?
Sticky Rice is my favorite, but it's at Irving and Western.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 6:26 PM

My friends girlfriend is from Thailand. Everyone there is obsessed with the US. It's a right of passage there to come live in the US for a few years after college. The only way to come here is on a student visa, so they get to stay for a few years studying English at a BS school. Then the only jobs they can get are under the table restaurant jobs at Thai restaurants. She has a bachelors in biology and worked in a lab in Thailand, but the only thing she can do here is work at a Thai restaurant. All her Thai friends do the same. It's more like an immersive cultural exchange for them, they usually go back to Thailand after their visa ends. So that's why there's so many Thai restaurants here, it's more for Thai tourism than anything. They don't even care about the quality of the food in the restaurant.

They sort of have a 1950's interest in American culture. They love the cheesiest touristy places. Like Navy Pier, Wisconsin Dells, Disney world. When she went to New York City, her top destination was an entire afternoon in the Times Square M&M store to take selfies!! When I try to discuss actual American history they just roll their eyes and loose interest. They seem very innocent and naive about the US, which is nice in a way.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 6:33 PM

^ Over the years we had four thai au pairs. Some come because of poverty. And they stay because it is very easy to get a job at a thai restaurant with or without a valid visa.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 7:26 PM

vlajos, I also recommend going to my new construction map, which is up to date as of Sunday. I remember seeing these permits come in and be happy about what it's replacing.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 7:31 PM

^ thanks!

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 8:09 PM

Quote:

But to be honest, cities need these too.

Not every street can feel like Paris, lines with miles and miles of bakeries and cafes
Vape Shops! iPhone Repair!

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 10:27 PM

New UIC Residence Hall topped off:
https://twitter.com/americancampus/s...35890766524421

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 2:27 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Anyone know what's going up on Western north of Montrose across from Welles Park? A hideous single story long underutilized building has been bulldozed and looks like a foundation is underway.
This building's been for sale for quite awhile.

I wouldn't call it hideous exactly. Single-story buildings are obviously a large part of our city, especially on commercial corridors. This one had a good urban presence with no setback or parking lot. Looks like it was built as a car dealership in the 1930s, with a handsome limestone front and bow trusses. These buildings work well for auto uses like mechanic shops and car washes, but plenty of them have made great conversions into restaurants, retail, bowling alleys, etc. With the clear spans, they're infinitely flexible for any commercial use. They're every bit as "classic Chicago" as a courtyard building or a brick 3-flat.

Is Piece Pizza on North Ave a "hideous, underutilized" site?

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 2:38 PM

^ already answered above. Two 4-story buildings are under construction on the site. I'm looking forward to more people in the neighborhood, Lincoln Square has lost population over the years. Not a big fan of vacant single story buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development