HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
The K&L Gates building is going into foreclosure. 78% occupancy rate for it but its owner is One Oliver Associates, LP so their other properties downtown must not be going too hot.
K&L Gates is looking to relocate. Rumor has it that K&L Gates prefers a signature building and possibly a new tower. K&L Gates spared no expense for the current headquarters so hopefully this leads to development in the immediate downtown area.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
K&L Gates is looking to relocate. Rumor has it that K&L Gates prefers a signature building and possibly a new tower. K&L Gates spared no expense for the current headquarters so hopefully this leads to development in the immediate downtown area.
If K&L Gates goes through with a new-build headquarters, I'm 90% certain it will be in the Strip District, not Downtown, unfortunately.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
If K&L Gates goes through with a new-build headquarters, I'm 90% certain it will be in the Strip District, not Downtown, unfortunately.
I was thinking the Hill District or the Strip District. Either of those would be considered the greater Downtown Pittsburgh area.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 1:54 AM

Quote:
I was thinking the Hill District or the Strip District. Either of those would be considered the greater Downtown Pittsburgh area.
Yeah, it's possible that a site is built out in the Lower Hill as well.

It would be kind of ironically amusing if, 10-20 years from now, the Lower Hill is a much more thriving node of class A commercial space than Downtown proper.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 3:07 AM

Quote:
While a new hq would be great, it would suck for downtown to lose them.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 5:10 AM

Quote:
I cannot think of a scarier location than this.
That's actually why I am excited. I am very surprised someone is doing a project like this in that area, and while it could be a bust, who knows, maybe it will help drive more reinvestment and a shift in neighborhood dynamics.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
That's actually why I am excited. I am very surprised someone is doing a project like this in that area, and while it could be a bust, who knows, maybe it will help drive more reinvestment and a shift in neighborhood dynamics.
Reading the DAM report, it seems to be a private developer, though it's obviously going to be subsidized units, given the location.

I believe it is the same developer who did these.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Reading the DAM report, it seems to be a private developer, though it's obviously going to be subsidized units, given the location.

I believe it is the same developer who did these.
I thought the houses were constructed by Habitat for Humanity and are homeowner occupied. I never saw a subsidized development with only four units unless it’s scattered site development. That area is very bad and in the same shape as Larimer in the 90s prior to mass demolition. I cannot see that area improving anytime soon.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 4:38 PM

There is a 2 hour recording of last nights Manchester Citizens Corp meeting from last night available on their Facebook page.

Some of the overall projects discussed:

1. Science Center: Tentatively looking at updates to the entrances and better use of surface parking lots around the Science Center. Also discussions on what to do with the submarine, perhaps even removing it from the water and making it accessible from land although it is HUGE and to me that is a crazy idea but interesting nonetheless.

2. Riverlife Update on "completing the loop" with better access to the West End Bridge and East Carson Street and better connections to the West End neighborhoods. Tons of great information in that section.

3. Update from the URA concerning the tax revenue development.

4. Update from Piatt on Esplanade with new renderings of what the development would like like from Manchester (with and without Rt. 65). They seem confident that ground breaking would occur this fall.

5. Plans were shown for the new GetGo on Western and Fulton Avenues.

6. Update on the status of the study of lowering of Rt. 65. Although this seems like a pipe dream for many, it seems like there is a strong belief that this could actually happen. Most likely making it street level from Juanita to the West End Bridge. While those working on the study did not convey they felt like this would happen or not, interspersed through the other presentations it was brought up many times. Since this is happening in other cities, I would say it is not a fools errand to pursue this.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
There is a 2 hour recording of last nights Manchester Citizens Corp meeting from last night available on their Facebook page.

Some of the overall projects discussed:

4. Update from Piatt on Esplanade with new renderings of what the development would like like from Manchester (with and without Rt. 65). They seem confident that ground breaking would occur this fall.
Thanks for sharing. I loved seeing this section. Been looking forward to this project for years. I hope it gets developed as imagined.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Wow, this is a great update thanks! It's awesome to see the Esplanade project moving forward. I also wasn't aware of how many synergistic projects are all being designed and developed together in that area of the city as well. The West End/Chateau are extremely underutilized and disconnected neighborhoods that have a huge potential due to their incredible location.

Finally, the completion of the 3 rivers bike/ped trail loop and as well as lowering/removing 65 will be huge for connectivity in the area and be a major catalyst for additional investment!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 3:04 AM

March 6 HRC agenda is now online. There are actually a number of relatively significant items for next month:

1. Conversion of the former Beltzhoover school into senior housing. This will include both conversion of the existing building (which will house 24 units) along with a new-build addition (adding another 15 units). Considering the neighborhood is far, far away from a market recovery, I think this is a good stepping stone toward stability.

2. Resubmittal of the Old Stone Tavern. I don't see much of note that changed from last month.

3. Resubmittal of the delayed project for 253 units of housing around the "Tito House." This does appear to be largely similar to the earlier plan (which I'm certain was approved), and I presume it will only be a formality, with the descendants of the Tito family (who no longer own the parcels) having lost in court. Regardless, there appears to be significantly more detail regarding this project than what we've seen in the past here (I'd not seen the plan to reuse the brick from the garage before, for example). One quibble with the design - I had not noticed before that Gist Street aligns with the articulation of the facade, with a cut-out plaza there. I think it's only a matter of time before some drunk yahoo mistakes it for a driveway and crashes into it, as it reads kinda like a parking entrance on one of the renderings.

4. In sadder news, a request for demolition of another building in Manchester. This was a semi-attached house which lost its "twin", and it seems structural integrity has been lost.

5. A historic nomination for a parklet containing a "memorial cannon" in Brookline.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 2:49 PM

Quote:
1. Conversion of the former Beltzhoover school into senior housing. This will include both conversion of the existing building (which will house 24 units) along with a new-build addition (adding another 15 units). Considering the neighborhood is far, far away from a market recovery, I think this is a good stepping stone toward stability.
That is a cool project. I'd actually prefer if the addition was maybe one more notch less matchy. But overall it is great to see a building like that get a (hopefully) viable reuse.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 3:32 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Would you rather it be sided with corrugated metal? I'm glad it matches more or less with the historic building. Shocking actually that it does and its not some corrugated metal nightmare.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 3:52 PM

Quote:
4. In sadder news, a request for demolition of another building in Manchester. This was a semi-attached house which lost its "twin", and it seems structural integrity has been lost.

[/URL]
I walk by this house every day...there is no saving this. The entire back wall is missing and I don't think it was properly stabilized when it lost it's twin. I cant wait for this house to be taken down. It's an eyesore on one of the area's nicest streets.

On a related note, there is a tear down of four attached row houses on West North that is half completed at this time. (The houses were old, but probably early 1900s and more simple in design but the roof and floors having collapsed years ago made them unsalvageable.) I don't think they ever came thru review, as I don't think they had permits for the work. Shocking how people still think they can tear down a house in the city without a permit. Quite a few projects are getting halted in Manchester these days due to lack of permits. One on the corner of Sheffield and Manhattan and another on Pennsylvania. There is a historic property destroyed by a flipper that is currently listed for sale on Sheffield near Allegheny Avenue, however the owner has been taken to court for multiple violations including destroying the historic entryway, pulling no permits for the flip, inaccurate window replacement, and painting the brick facade. The days of fly by night house flips in Manchester may be to be coming to an end due to a vigilant community and also the attention on the neighborhood with the proposed nearby developments.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 4:36 PM

Quote:
^
Would you rather it be sided with corrugated metal?
That would be too many notches.

My initial thought was I didn't love the not-quite-matching stone accents, but on reflection I think probably all my issues could be solved with just a different brick mix. I always react poorly to brick additions where the brick kinda matches but not really. I typically think just going with a complementary but obviously different brick mix is a better choice.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 9:38 PM

so something occurred to me and made me wonder... and I realize that even with similarities, that there are varying dynamics at play, but Cleveland has had a few nice and decent size residential towers go up recently (and great for them, glad to see it).

It doesn't seem like Pittsburgh has had the same traction in that regard.

I really feel like there are opportunities, location wise even (or especially) beyond downtown.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 2:13 AM

Quote:
^
Would you rather it be sided with corrugated metal? I'm glad it matches more or less with the historic building. Shocking actually that it does and its not some corrugated metal nightmare.
Affordable projects in the Pittsburgh area tend to harken back to the historic vernacular much more frequently than the market-rate units.

I mean, Addison Terrace's rebuilding was about as good when it came to historic-minded design as you could ask for (if too low density). But shit like this in Oakland is market rate.

Quote:
On a related note, there is a tear down of four attached row houses on West North that is half completed at this time. (The houses were old, but probably early 1900s and more simple in design but the roof and floors having collapsed years ago made them unsalvageable.) I don't think they ever came thru review, as I don't think they had permits for the work. Shocking how people still think they can tear down a house in the city without a permit. Quite a few projects are getting halted in Manchester these days due to lack of permits. One on the corner of Sheffield and Manhattan and another on Pennsylvania. There is a historic property destroyed by a flipper that is currently listed for sale on Sheffield near Allegheny Avenue, however the owner has been taken to court for multiple violations including destroying the historic entryway, pulling no permits for the flip, inaccurate window replacement, and painting the brick facade. The days of fly by night house flips in Manchester may be to be coming to an end due to a vigilant community and also the attention on the neighborhood with the proposed nearby developments.
This row, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
so something occurred to me and made me wonder... and I realize that even with similarities, that there are varying dynamics at play, but Cleveland has had a few nice and decent size residential towers go up recently (and great for them, glad to see it).

It doesn't seem like Pittsburgh has had the same traction in that regard.

I really feel like there are opportunities, location wise even (or especially) beyond downtown.
I believe the condo midrise in The Strip is done now. The Julian in Oakland is still under construction.

Looking beyond this? No new residential high-rises are planned in Oakland for now, with the Walnut Capital project around the Boulevard of the Allies having been put on hold. At least three different proposed apartment high-rises in Shadyside have been delayed or entirely defeated by NIMBYs in Shadyside (I think the S. Aiken one by Mozart is still in the works, though a disgruntled NIMBY is taking it to court after losing at the ZBA).

Overall, the issue is that property values need to be higher outside of Downtown, Oakland, and Shadyside for new steel-frame construction. In the former, there are still too many existing buildings that could be converted into apartments, and in the latter two, NIMBY opposition continues to make large-scale projects difficult.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 2:28 AM

Quote:
That would be them…two of the four are down for now.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 3:44 AM

I'm losing track--what is the status of the 20 stories they were planning to put over the YWCA?

Generally, towers are cool, but I personally think the more widespread densification of various areas is a bigger deal from a public policy perspective. So while the NIMBYism frustrates me, I think a lot of good has been done anyway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations