HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Dec 28, 2015, 7:31 PM

Still in Finland, but I just checked the snow stats on North Shore Mountains and in Whistler. Hot damn you guys have seen a lot of snow fall recently and ideal weather conditions! Can't wait to get back there!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 11:42 AM

How was the earthquake like in your area?

Last edited by Klazu; Dec 30, 2015 at 2:14 PM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 12:39 PM

I thought it was my cat jumping on my bed. Turns out, not so much. :p

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 2:14 PM

Yeah, it wasn't a very powerful one but the epicenter was very close. Normally they are 600 kilometers away near Haida Gwaii.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 3:08 PM
life in the present

Very sharp jolt for a very short period of time. I live on the 20th floor of a high-rise in Coal Harbour, heard a VERY sharp cracking and shifting sound, didn't seem to last more than about 5 seconds. Very jarring and odd. Epicentre was just east of Sidney.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 3:10 PM

Slept through it.

I assume the viaducts, St. Paul's and Massey Tunnel are all still standing?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 6:04 PM
See ya down under, mates

It felt like someone picked up our condo about one inch and immediately dropped it. I assumed it was a neighbour at first but it was very, very loud.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 6:11 PM

I was at the office and it felt like a shockwave hitting the tower (TD Tower facing south (i.e. facing Victoria)).

It felt more like a big gust of wind had hit the tower (and caused a reverberation). It was a pretty short "jolt", that's all I felt.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 6:17 PM

All the videos I saw also suggested that it came very suddenly and was over in few seconds. Even one Richter more this close might have had quite an impact...

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I was at the office and it felt like a shockwave hitting the tower (TD Tower facing south (i.e. facing Victoria)).

It felt more like a big gust of wind had hit the tower (and caused a reverberation). It was a pretty short "jolt", that's all I felt.
You really live up to your name.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 6:22 PM

Haven't you noticed that OD is always writing here on weekdays, so I have always assumed him working during odd hours. Or perhaps he is just working hard to close 2015 books or something as exciting.

Last edited by Klazu; Dec 30, 2015 at 7:01 PM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 6:27 PM

Naw, nothing exciting....

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Haven't you noticed that OD is always writing here during weekdays, so I have always assumed him working during odd hours. Or perhaps he is working hard to close 2015 books or something as exciting.
Nothing stops me from posting during work hours.

OD is probably in there late shredding documents.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
OD is probably in there late shredding documents.
And that's how you close books for a year.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2016, 7:59 PM

earthquake, i missed it, i was at the hard rock. My brother was at a hotel in coquitlam, him and his gf said they felt shaking and then like a loud cracking noise. My friend was staying on south granville in a house and he said everything shook and then heard a loud cracking noise.
Other residents in my mom and dads building say they felt like they were on a wave and there was some shaking, my parents must have slept through it.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 8:32 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
All the videos I saw also suggested that it came very suddenly and was over in few seconds. Even one Richter more this close might have had quite an impact...
+1 Richter = 10x the power. Yeah, that would have an impact. Put into context, the Great earthquake in Japan in 2011 was 10,000 stronger than this one. The Kobe earthquake in 1995 ( remember that one? ) was 100x stronger ( 6.9 )

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 6:14 AM

Great night skiing on Grouse tonight. Will post some photos later this week, in case they turned out any good.

I am also thinking of going to try skiing on Mount Baker on Saturday. I have never been there to ski (only during summer), so I was wondering what kind of skiing should I prepare myself for? One of the peaks seems to only have black runs, which is pretty interesting. What type of runs do they have at Baker? Are they more narrow or do they have wide areas as well? Any glades skiing in there?

It should be a beautiful day on Saturday. Really looking forward to it!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 4:49 AM

Went to Mount Baker as planned today and the snow... was heavenly! Incredible snow condition at Baker with base at 102 inches and over 7 meters having fell this winter (more than all last winter, still only a little for Baker). Snow conditions were great and we had lots of fun.

I was very surprised to find that almost none of the chair lifts at Mount Baker have safety rails. I have never seen such and I have to say that it is not the most comfortable thing to be sitting on lift if you suffer from various degrees of vertigo...

I wonder how often people fall from those chair lifts and hurt themselves badly? It must have happened, especially with small kids. Mount Baker being in the US, you would think someone would have sued them over it already, so I found it very bizarre and scary.

Otherwise two nice little mountains with great snow. Definitely the place to visit if you like deep natural snow and glades skiing! Lots of people too, but no lift lineups.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Went to Mount Baker as planned today and the snow... was heavenly! Incredible snow condition at Baker with base at 102 inches and over 7 meters having fell this winter (more than all last winter, still only a little for Baker). Snow conditions were great and we had lots of fun.

I was very surprised to find that almost none of the chair lifts at Mount Baker have safety rails. I have never seen such and I have to say that it is not the most comfortable thing to be sitting on lift if you suffer from various degrees of vertigo...

I wonder how often people fall from those chair lifts and hurt themselves badly? It must have happened, especially with small kids. Mount Baker being in the US, you would think someone would have sued them over it already, so I found it very bizarre and scary.

Otherwise two nice little mountains with great snow. Definitely the place to visit if you like deep natural snow and glades skiing! Lots of people too, but no lift lineups.
Did you do it as a day trip? How long was the drive?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 4:30 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
almost none of the chair lifts at Mount Baker have safety rails.
That's the difference between countries with socialized healthcare and without it. In Canada, there is a huge incentive to keep you from getting injured because the government will have to pay for ongoing healthcare costs. In the US, it's considered government interference with private sector interests, so they don't do it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion