HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 5:44 PM

Saw this on AirBnB:

Which looks very similar to the interior photos of the buildout that I've seen posted:

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Saw this on AirBnB:

Which looks very similar to the interior photos of the buildout that I've seen posted:

Interesting... Isn't that render from Phase 3 here, which hasn't even started construction last I heard?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 2:03 PM

Yes. I thought that was odd, but there's availability which tells me that it's in the existing building. I get the impression they just contracted a company to run their Airbnb and that company didn't realize or didn't take real photos and just pulled that from Instagram or something.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 2:40 PM

Interesting..

https://thelaundryrooms.ca/

I wonder if Core Urban has fit out the whole building like this or is only sticking a percentage of units on AirBnB.

It appears that "The Laundry Rooms" is some sort of AirBnB property management company that directly rents out units for developers, with some sort of more formal connection to them than just someone who buys / rents a unit and subs out it's AirBnB management.

Interestingly, it also appears they have a restaurant tenant for grade here.. going to be "Plank", which already has a location in Oakville:

https://www.plankrestobar.ca/

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Interesting..

https://thelaundryrooms.ca/

I wonder if Core Urban has fit out the whole building like this or is only sticking a percentage of units on AirBnB.

It appears that "The Laundry Rooms" is some sort of AirBnB property management company that directly rents out units for developers, with some sort of more formal connection to them than just someone who buys / rents a unit and subs out it's AirBnB management.

Interestingly, it also appears they have a restaurant tenant for grade here.. going to be "Plank", which already has a location in Oakville:

https://www.plankrestobar.ca/
Nice find, now it makes more sense. I believe the whole building is taken by "The Laundry Rooms" for AirBNB. I reached out to the leasing team at one point and he told me the units were all taken by 1 tenant, which confused the hell out of me at the time LOL

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 10:07 PM

hmmm I wonder what this will do to the scene on Augusta. Right now it's a mostly older crowd, young professionals and locals. I wonder if having a dedicated AirBnB building will change that vibe. I feel like it will.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 10:27 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Wow not sure how I feel about an entire building being AirBNB and I'm sure the senior residence next door will definitely have some strong opinions on the matter regarding the real potential for party's and noise. There are some buildings in Toronto that are mostly AirBnB and they are constant nightmares for area residents. This also means less housing for locals but there must be a market for it I suppose?

At first I assumed the ad to be a rental scam.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 10:32 PM

I get the impression that this may be only for the shorter term until the construction is done.

Unless 1 person literally rented out the entire building without the knowledge of Core Urban.

This likely makes it cheaper in the short term as well as more lucrative as hotels are a premium in Hamilton. I suspect once construction is done on the other buildings we will see it move to longer term rentals.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I get the impression that this may be only for the shorter term until the construction is done.

Unless 1 person literally rented out the entire building without the knowledge of Core Urban.

This likely makes it cheaper in the short term as well as more lucrative as hotels are a premium in Hamilton. I suspect once construction is done on the other buildings we will see it move to longer term rentals.
I don't think so. The branding is already up on the walls inside the lobby. There's a paper clip neon sign (the logo) in the lobby window. This doesn't look very temporary. Seems like it's basically a hotel.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 12:28 AM

It's interesting, but yes, effectively just a hotel.

Sonder is a bit more established of a brand doing this type of thing as well - buying entire buildings and operating them as full AirBnBs more or less, albeit Sonder is higher end and doesn't list on AirBnB itself. Sort of a hybrid Hotel/AirBnB..

I don't expect it to be super temporary (as it only a few months), but Core Urban does have the ability to convert it back to hotel rooms whenever it wishes.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 2:22 AM

This whole arrangement will probably be illegal in the very near future: https://www.thespec.com/news/council...s-horizon.html.

On another note, does anyone know if there's any relation between "The Laundry Rooms" and "The Laundry Design Works," the graphic design firm whose office is directly across the street? Seems like a pretty weird coincidence.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 1:05 PM

I love the idea of a hotel here. I went on their website and it all looks great. I do not like the idea of a property secretly being a hotel without paying their fair share of tax/fees.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
I'm sure the senior residence next door will definitely have some strong opinions on the matter regarding the real potential for party's and noise. There are some buildings in Toronto that are mostly AirBnB and they are constant nightmares for area residents.

At first I assumed the ad to be a rental scam.
Just go look at the reviews of the Dundurn lofts about the Air BNB units and non stop noise complaints lol

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 3:37 PM

Weird that they went with Juliet balconies that have internal swing doors. That eats into living room space and can mess with where you could put your furniture. Would have just done nice operable windows instead. Guess it doesn't matter if this is just a ghost hotel.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 8:24 PM

Having experience hosting, if you're going to do it in a building you're way better off having the whole building AirBnb rather than a mix with long term tenants.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Seemingly they are not done with announcements at Hughson and Augusta...
https://www.instagram.com/p/CcnwmcjO...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
So is it the Pheasant Plucker, the vacant lot kitty corner or is UC going to buy a church

Perhaps the development reference was to a process versus an actual site.. Re Laundry items

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 1:07 AM

I believe they were just referencing the second phase - i.e. phase 1 here is not the only one.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 12:14 AM

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 2:03 PM

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 9:21 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
Wow, that's nice! I used to have pints at the Judge all the time. Gulp...twenty years ago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton