HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 1:59 PM

Atlantic Canada has hit 2,500,000 on the Statistics Canada population clock today.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Atlantic Canada has hit 2,500,000 on the Statistics Canada population clock today.

Nice! From my calculations, seeing how the clock hit 800K just on the 25th of March, NB is averaging a monthly growth rate of +1,615 people or +19,383 a year. At that rate, NB would be over 900K by end of 2027, and over 1M by by end of 2032....give or take.

An impressive turnaround indeed. Maybe this is why the car dealerships are all sold out? LOL

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley View Post
Nice! From my calculations, seeing how the clock hit 800K just on the 25th of March, NB is averaging a monthly growth rate of +1,615 people or +19,383 a year. At that rate, NB would be over 900K by end of 2027, and over 1M by by end of 2032....give or take.

An impressive turnaround indeed. Maybe this is why the car dealerships are all sold out? LOL
Does PEI hit 200k by 2028? Or would it take longer?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 2:38 PM

What does everyone think of the proposed boundary redistribution?

Cutting Saint John in half is a terrible idea. If you must, use City Line. The Port of Saint John would be removed from Saint John!

The cities of
-Saint John (-9.9% variance),
-Moncton (+2.5%), and
-Fredericton (+ St Mary's + Oromocto + Lincoln between the highway and river) (-1.5%)

are incredibly simple clean ridings to draw that are easy for constituents to understand and be associated with.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeoftea View Post
Does PEI hit 200k by 2028? Or would it take longer?
At it's current rate of growth it would take longer.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 8:19 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Maybe it's changing but Atlantic Canada still has a PR problem I think in that it's underestimated compared to its demographic weight. You see this for example in national polls that simply drop Atlantic Canada or when people argue that it's ridiculous for any regional Atlantic service to be in the same ballpark as what you get in medium-sized cities like Winnipeg, Edmonton, or Ottawa. It's actually not surprising at all that some services in Halifax might be the same as Winnipeg if you look at the wider demographics.

There was also an "end of history" style argument that the West was ascendant and Atlantic Canada will trend toward 0% of the national population. I think this has largely been forgotten now but boy did it turn out wrong. It is very common for demographic trends to change over the decades. On top of this I'd argue it's somewhat "self-correcting" in that relatively underdeveloped areas tend to offer good development opportunities. Consider what land you can buy for $500,000 in Atlantic Canada vs. BC or Ontario.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post

Cutting Saint John in half is a terrible idea. If you must, use City Line. The Port of Saint John would be removed from Saint John!

The cities of
-Saint John (-9.9% variance),
-Moncton (+2.5%), and
-Fredericton (+ St Mary's + Oromocto + Lincoln between the highway and river) (-1.5%)

are incredibly simple clean ridings to draw that are easy for constituents to understand and be associated with.
I haven't put much thought into it, but the common consensus is that the commission did a poor job with New Brunswick. Population variance is too high.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 1:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

CBC article about NB's recent explosive population growth:

Decades-old migration records fall as newcomers by the thousands settle in New Brunswick
International and domestic migrants behind New Brunswick's population surge

Robert Jones · CBC News · Posted: Jun 23, 2022 6:00 AM AT | Last Updated: 4 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ords-1.6498164

Quote:
On Wednesday, Statistics Canada released more information about what caused the surge in population, including the arrival of a record 6,581 (international) immigrants into New Brunswick in the year between April 1 2021 and March 31, 2022.
Quote:
During the year ended in March, Statistics Canada figures show 10,540 people from Ontario alone came to New Brunswick, in search of more space, cheaper housing or a change in their lifestyle.
Quote:
On Wednesday, Statistics Canada was estimating New Brunswick's population is already up to 804,855 since March, an increase of 20,700 over the past 18 months.
If this rate of growth continues, NB will reach the 1 million mark by 2036 or 2037.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
CBC article about NB's recent explosive population growth:

Decades-old migration records fall as newcomers by the thousands settle in New Brunswick
International and domestic migrants behind New Brunswick's population surge

Robert Jones · CBC News · Posted: Jun 23, 2022 6:00 AM AT | Last Updated: 4 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ords-1.6498164

If this rate of growth continues, NB will reach the 1 million mark by 2036 or 2037.
Honestly pretty exciting times!
It's really interesting to see how the outlook has changed on this forum (after going back and reading other entries) from pessimistic to more positive!!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 4:47 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
It's a bit lazy to split Saint John in two. I think more could have been done to shift Oromocto into NB SW, or push NBSW further into Queen and King counties. Saint John is the kind of city that should absolutely maintain one seat for its city area.

On ridingbuilder it's pretty easy to come to a new 10 seat NB without having the split Saint John.

Push Madawaska--Restigouche south to include Grand Falls.
Push Madawaska--Restigouche east to include Belledune, Petit-Rocher & Pointe-Verte.
Push Acadie-Bathurst south to include Tabusintac & Neguac.
Push Miramichi--Grand Lake down to include all of Kent County.
Have Beausejour take up all of Dieppe and everything north of the TCH in Moncton.
Move all of Riverview into Fundy Royal.
Have NBSW take over Oromocto, Ketepec, Lorneville, Kingston Peninsula
Have Tobique-Mactaquac move much further south, taking in Grand Lake, Hanwell, and McAdam.

The main issue is NBSW and Fundy Royal. They're both in awkward spots at this stage in our population, so figuring out how to squeeze NBSW over a vast rural area whilst also trying to figure out how to squeeze Fundy Royal between two major cities is difficult. Beasejour becomes more compact, as does Moncton, which means the rest of the ridings have to expand geographically to accommodate. As Fredericton grows, Tobique--Grand Lake becomes more of a Fredericton-centered riding, and NBSW does as well now that it includes Oromocto. Saint John retains Rothesay and loses some of its Western edge.

I'm not overly convinced about having NBSW on the outskirts of Sussex but i'm not really sure how else to cut it. An alternative is to push Quispamsis into NBSW, and in that scenario Oromocto ends up...in either Tobique--Mactaquac or Miramichi--Grand Lake. It can get messy really quickly.

I've done other franken-riding builds where Fundy Royal includes Sackville and Beausejour maintains Kent County, but in that situation Miramichi--Grand Lake has to push all the way down to Fredericton, soaking up northern suburban Fredericton. I don't know what's worse - splitting Saint John in two or pushing Fundy Royal across the Petitcodiac. Alternatively, i've tried splitting Fredericton along the Wolastoq, where Fredericton maintains Oromocto (and I think Hanwell too?), but I don't remember how weird the rural ridings get when North Fredericton has to be split.

There are six ridings that are pretty straightforward to draw up - it's the other four in between that need to be shifted around. With increasing suburban populations in Riverview, Oromocto, and Quispamsis it can be difficult to carve these up in a way that's efficient. I assume this may only become more difficult in the next round of redistribution, assuming the Northern ridings have to push further south again.

Last edited by JHikka; Jun 25, 2022 at 7:55 PM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 5:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I like your ideas.

Honestly, I think one of the things the commissioners were trying to accomplish was to give the Acadians a de facto fourth riding by including downtown Dieppe with Moncton. This pushes the population distribution in the riding pretty close to 50/50 along linguistic lines. This would help to ensure that only Acadian candidates will ever represent Moncton (due to the de facto need for the candidate to be fluently bilingual).

They were very careful with the other three Acadian majority ridings in the province not to include too many anglophones into the mix.

Personally, I would have the city of Moncton have it's own riding, give Dieppe to Beausejour, and give Riverview to Fundy Royal.

The idea of pushing Fundy Royal across the mouth of the Petitcodiac to include Dorchester, Sackville and Port Elgin is intriguing. There is a population of about 15,000 orphaned anglophones in this area stuck in Beausejour. This would solve that problem. If they did this, how do you think this would affect the western boundaries of Fundy Royal?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 5:48 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Honestly, I think one of the things the commissioners were trying to accomplish was to give the Acadians a de facto fourth riding by including downtown Dieppe with Moncton. This pushes the population distribution in the riding pretty close to 50/50 along linguistic lines. This would help to ensure that only Acadian candidates will ever represent Moncton (due to the de facto need for the candidate to be fluently bilingual).
The Commission speaks to the language breakdown using 2016 numbers:

Quote:
Statistics Canada will release the data concerning the linguistic diversity and use of English and French in Canada on August 17, 2022. In the meantime, we are using the 2016 data. For that part of Dieppe that remains in the proposed district, this data shows that 60.6% of its population indicate French as the language spoken most often at home, while 66.6% indicate that their mother tongue is French. For the City of Moncton, this data shows that 23% of its population indicate French as the language spoken most often at home, while 30.7% indicate that their mother tongue is French. By keeping part of the City of Dieppe within the same electoral district as the City of Moncton, these percentages increase to 27.8% and 35.4% respectively. At the end of the last redistribution, these percentages for the current electoral district of Moncton—Riverview—Dieppe were 28.95% and approximately 34.5% respectively.
Keeping Dieppe with Moncton may make it a 50/50 Acadian (whatever definition you're using) but it doesn't make it a 50/50 English/French riding.

Given that presumably 2021 Census will capture the interprovincial and international migration trends in NB a bit i'm assuming Beauséjour will come out more Anglophone than people expect, which may have an impact on the final redistribution proposal. Areas like Cap-Pelé, Beaubassin, and Kent were already becoming more Anglophone prior to NB's population boom.

Quote:
They were very careful with the other three Acadian majority ridings in the province not to include too many anglophones into the mix.
This is more the case when drawing Provincial ridings than drawing Federal ridings - Provincial standards will explicitly protect language minorities (Francophones primarily) when drawing electoral districts. This is usually the case in Victoria County and Tantramar. The Commission says that maintaining Beauséjour at its current boundaries makes it the third Francophone riding (along with the Northern two). I don't believe they consider the Moncton riding as one even with Dieppe.

Quote:
Personally, I would have the city of Moncton have it's own riding, give Dieppe to Beausejour, and give Riverview to Fundy Royal.
This makes the most sense moving forward.

Quote:
The idea of pushing Fundy Royal across the mouth of the Petitcodiac to include Dorchester, Sackville and Port Elgin is intriguing. There is a population of about 15,000 orphaned anglophones in this area stuck in Beausejour. This would solve that problem. If they did this, how do you think this would affect the western boundaries of Fundy Royal?
The Kent Service Commission made this exact request to the Redistribution Commission:

Quote:
We received a submission from the Kent Regional Service Commission suggesting far-reaching changes to several of the current districts, which would require a major restructuring of New Brunswick's electoral map, including the disappearance of Miramichi—Grand Lake, Fundy Royal, Tobique—Mactaquac, and New Brunswick Southwest; and the creation of Central NB, Albert—Tantramar, Western Valley—Charlotte and Kings—York.

The submission suggested that all communities that are part of the Kent Regional Service Commission be assigned to the proposed electoral district of Beauséjour. Several of these communities (mostly in Kent County but also some in Northumberland County) are in the current and proposed electoral district of Miramichi—Grand Lake, a district that is underpopulated. It further suggested that the southern part of the riding, including the communities of Sackville, Dorchester, Port Elgin, and surrounding areas, be removed from Beauséjour and assigned to the riding that is now called Fundy Royal. Similar suggestions for Beauséjour were made by a citizen of Miramichi—Grand Lake, calling for the transfer from Miramichi—Grand Lake to Beauséjour of communities that are situated in Kent County and the transfer of the southern part of the riding to Fundy Royal.
Emphasis added mine.

Adding Tantramar into Fundy Royal would make adding Riverview to Fundy Royal very difficult. In such a scenario, Beausejour can add all of Dieppe but must also retain southern Kent County up to Bouctouche. This means that Miramichi--Grand Lake must push further into Central NB, which means that Tobique--Mactaquac must push further south.

It also means that NBSW needs to find 20K electors from Fundy Royal to make sense, which means either shifting all of Quispamsis into NBSW or finding an alternative. My solution is moving Quispamsis into NBSW, which I don't think is a fantastic result.

I will try to map out the changes that the Kent Service Commission recommendations require (Central NB, Albert—Tantramar, Western Valley—Charlotte and Kings—York.), but just the sound of some of these riding names tells me that they're a bad idea. Western Valley--Charlotte is...a choice. I recall people being upset about the Saint Croix riding including McAdam provincially, so i'm sure a riding stretching from Grand Manan to presumably north of Woodstock would go over like a lead balloon.

Last edited by JHikka; Jun 25, 2022 at 7:55 PM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 6:20 PM

This is basically what I was thinking. I will answer in more depth later. Not a fan of a non-contiguous seat in the SE though.

I agree on a lot. Saint John, with the rest of the county, and Moncton are the first and easiest seats. Simple seats, simple names.

Fredericton+Oromocto+St Mary's+Lincoln/Rusagonis is basically what those communities asked for. Fredericton-Oromocto for a name.

The next easiest seat, #4, is Acadie - Bathurst, which is just Gloucester County plus the aforementioned NE corner of Northumberland and the Beresford area.

Madawaska-Restigouche takes all of both counties except for Beresford and picks up Grand Falls and Drummond.

These are all between -9.9% (Saint John) and +4.5% (Fredericton - Oromocto).

What's left is much more contentious.

Northumberland County (less the more Acadian Peninsula oriented NE corner of it) plus Kent County is a great seat. Miramichi - Beausejour maybe.

Westmorland County, less Moncton, from Berry Mills eastwards, is a fun clean seat.

Three left...

Tobique - Mactaquac survives. All of York County less Fredericton, all of Carleton County, the English parts of Victoria.

The problem is Kings County. One seat has to start in Charlotte and the other in Albert.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 2:41 PM
New Brunswick booster!

A milestone I guess: PEI is about to hit 170,000 people on the Stats Can population clock. 

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 1:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Milestone passed - already at 170,011. When I was a kid growing up on PEI, the population seemed stuck at 108,000.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 4:45 PM

Maritime Population is Almost at 2 MILLION!

Only a few more months before we hit that 2 MILLION mark! As of just now, stats can is saying 1,993,340 between Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island. I am sure this will be a big news story!

Grow! Grow! Grow!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2022, 4:45 PM
New Brunswick booster!

So crazy to see our numbers going up so fast. Like a fever dream.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2022, 6:09 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There is some significance to these numbers although to me the deeper question is how this will play out in terms of the role of the region in the country and what can be supported within the region. Along these lines:

- There was a sense that the Maritimes were dwindling away as a % of Canada's population (they are already far below what they peaked at) but this seems to be changing.

- In Canada there is often a sense that the Maritimes are not "real" provinces or are just small and remote hinterland-y areas. I think this is a shame because the Maritimes are complementary to Canada. Canada is not overflowing with affordable and character-rich or historic regions to move to.

- In the Maritimes when I was younger there was always a feeling of "things we didn't have" because the population base was too small. For a kid this meant things like big amusement parks, but it applies to other areas. I wonder what of these will change in the coming years. One important one is good public transportation around the region (maybe even rail).

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 6:55 PM
ハルウララ

Language stats from the 2021 Census have been released.

First official language spoken:
English 2016 -> 2021
NL 99.4% -> 99.4% (0.0%)
NS 96.4% -> 96.7% (+0.3%)
PE 95.7% -> 95.9% (+0.2%)
NB 67.7% -> 69.1% (+1.4%)

French 2016 -> 2021
NL 0.4% -> 0.4% (0.0%)
NS 3.1% -> 2.8% (-0.3%)
PE 3.2% -> 2.9% (-0.3%)
NB 31.6% -> 30.0% (-1.6%)

Knowledge of official languages, English & French (Bilingualism)
NL 5.0% -> 5.1% (+0.1%)
NS 10.5% -> 10.3% (-0.2%)
PE 12.6% -> 12.7% (+0.1%)
NB 33.9% -> 34.0% (+0.1%)

Mother Tongue:
Charlottetown CMA
English: 65,785
Mandarin: 2,120
French: 1,480
Punjabi: 945
Arabic: 780

Halifax CMA
English: 393,640
French: 10,335
Arabic: 7,180
Mandarin: 5,975
Punjabi: 3,190

Moncton CMA
English: 89,735
French: 48,970
Arabic: 1,510
Tagalog: 765
Punjabi: 755

Saint John CMA
English: 116,260
French: 4,535
Arabic: 1,050
Mandarin: 800
Tagalog: 390
Spanish: 355
Korean: 355

Fredericton CMA
English: 90,375
French: 6,870
Arabic: 1,365
Mandarin: 840
Spanish: 495

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Language stats from the 2021 Census have been released.
I’m not surprised that there is a large Mandarin speaking population in Charlottetown, however I am very surprised that there is substantially more Mandarin speaking people than French.

Last edited by JHikka; Aug 17, 2022 at 11:08 PM. Reason: long quote

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces