HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenraptors View Post
When Loblaws closed the Shop Easy in City Park they sold the land and included a restrictive covenant in the deal, prohibiting another grocer from opening in that space so hopefully this isn't a repeat. I lived in City Park when that happened and it was one of the deciding factors to move out of the area. Fingers crossed that this is ends on a positive note for the core.
Prohibiting food from being sold in any center sounds illegal. Hopefully the city can block any/lobby feds or provincial gov to change that type of non-compete

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenraptors View Post
When Loblaws closed the Shop Easy in City Park they sold the land and included a restrictive covenant in the deal, prohibiting another grocer from opening in that space so hopefully this isn't a repeat. I lived in City Park when that happened and it was one of the deciding factors to move out of the area. Fingers crossed that this is ends on a positive note for the core.
I'm not sure if this could be a reason, but back a few years ago, loblaws wanted to do a pilot project with Shoppers drug mart with offering more of a fresh variety- such as meats, produce and deli, and not just the pre packaged stuff. That being said, I think only one store in Regina ( aside from Toronto) was tested and didn't do well from what I heard. In my opinion you can't base that off of one store, because another shoppers manager I know was talking to me about how well the midtown shoppers and 7th Ave shoppers would do if it were renovated into offering those extra departments- which would take care of those inner grocery stores. Back to my point is that possibly the reason they put that covenant in the deal to prohibit another grocer , is that because they wanted to renovate that shoppers to be that neighborhood grocer.

But, that didn't happen. It actually would've done well for City Park and downtown.

I know no frills plans on building hundreds of more stores throughout Canada in the next decade, and not just big box ones. They could be these little inner neighborhood locations too.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 5:27 PM

Grocer options

It would be great to see the Pitchfork Market, or another similar business, move to Broadway and/or downtown. They are a local business that sources lots of local products (Pine view farms is one example).

We go to their location near the east Costco. They have some great weekly sales and we find their prices to be the same or better than Sobeys and Coop.

Here is a link to their website: https://www.pitchforkmarket.ca/

It is grocers like Pitchfork Market who we want in the Broadway area. Local businesses who source some local products.

I say the hell with the likes of Loblaws.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 6:54 PM

Downtown resident here - my monthly Amazon “subscribe and save” box came straight to my door this week with everything I’d get at a grocer but fresh produce - straight to my door (so nice not having to lug groceries around) - if u batch 5+ items you get it 15% off, and prices are exact same as Walmart. My fresh produce comes delivered from Inspired Go, a new Calgary based vertical farming startup that does pre-packaged salads and fruits with longer shelf life than Loblaws produce. It’s slightly more expensive than typical grocer produce, but since it’s vertically farmed in Canada the shelf life is longer.

Time to start thinking about core grocers very differently.. I see no real need for them. I barely go to the grocer downstairs of my building that offers fresh produce, toiletries, and all the sauces you would ever need.

I’d still like one though, but consumer habits are changing fast enough to not require it.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 7:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Downtown resident here - my monthly Amazon “subscribe and save” box came straight to my door this week with everything I’d get at a grocer but fresh produce - straight to my door (so nice not having to lug groceries around) - if u batch 5+ items you get it 15% off, and prices are exact same as Walmart. My fresh produce comes delivered from Inspired Go, a new Calgary based vertical farming startup that does pre-packaged salads and fruits with longer shelf life than Loblaws produce. It’s slightly more expensive than typical grocer produce, but since it’s vertically farmed in Canada the shelf life is longer.

Time to start thinking about core grocers very differently.. I see no real need for them. I barely go to the grocer downstairs of my building that offers fresh produce, toiletries, and all the sauces you would ever need.

I’d still like one though, but consumer habits are changing fast enough to not require it.
The vast majority of people do not get their groceries delivered and that is not going to change much any time soon. There are still a lot of people who can barely afford to pay for an internet connection and a device to even order groceries, not to mention that's not going to get any better as more and more jobs are lost to the centralization and offshoring of the food supply chain. Plus Amazon is just terrible when it comes to worker exploitation, union busting, and how they steal the IP from and destroy small business.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
The vast majority of people do not get their groceries delivered and that is not going to change much any time soon. There are still a lot of people who can barely afford to pay for an internet connection and a device to even order groceries, not to mention that's not going to get any better as more and more jobs are lost to the centralization and offshoring of the food supply chain. Plus Amazon is just terrible when it comes to worker exploitation, union busting, and how they steal the IP from and destroy small business.
Djforsberg is right on the vast majority just won't, costs and lifestyle is one thing but also, our Saskatchewan province isn't that progressive really lol. Too many people with this old 'ain't broke don't fix it' 'horse and buggy' perspective. Compared to other places were a bit behind in the times. No one will want to adjust or switch just because they've been doing it 'that way' for years. There's a few folks like yourself roryn who utilize things like that, but for it to be a thing here in sk? I'll be retired by that time lol.

it would be cool to see different variations of these new grocery retai, I just don't see it in Saskatchewan anytime soon.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter12 View Post
It would be great to see the Pitchfork Market, or another similar business, move to Broadway and/or downtown. They are a local business that sources lots of local products (Pine view farms is one example).

We go to their location near the east Costco. They have some great weekly sales and we find their prices to be the same or better than Sobeys and Coop.

Here is a link to their website: https://www.pitchforkmarket.ca/

It is grocers like Pitchfork Market who we want in the Broadway area. Local businesses who source some local products.

I say the hell with the likes of Loblaws.
I love the idea of Pitchfork for Broadway area. It is my understanding that they are currently working on a location in what was to be the MEC spot in the Midtown Plaza. It might be too much for them to take on yet another location so soon, but I agree...the concept type store of Pitchfork being local and a bit more grocery boutique in nature is a great fit for Broadway.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I love the idea of Pitchfork for Broadway area. It is my understanding that they are currently working on a location in what was to be the MEC spot in the Midtown Plaza. It might be too much for them to take on yet another location so soon, but I agree...the concept type store of Pitchfork being local and a bit more grocery boutique in nature is a great fit for Broadway.
I believe pitchfork is going into the former MEC, I've heard that from a few folks. As for Broadway, under the baydo tower that's done, there's some grocery retail decals on the windows at street level. I'm not sure if there's any plans for that building but maybe something could already be in the works

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 3:04 PM

Moving into the former Elwood Flynn space: https://countertopart.ca/

Old Posted Mar 19, 2022, 2:24 PM

The folks behind Hometown Diner, Congress, and Ace Burger are opening a coffee shop in the old Starbucks location on Broadway called “Junior Cafe”.

Last edited by tenraptors; Mar 20, 2022 at 2:43 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2022, 4:24 PM

High Key Brewing is moving into the Redline Harley Davidson space on 1st Avenue Downtown: https://www.instagram.com/p/CbnQU6-rrjn/

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 3:49 PM

Not sure if this is old news but here it is.

Quote:
News Provided By
Browns Restaurant Group
March 25, 2022, 22:59 GMT
Share This Article

Browns Restaurant Group has approved leasing arrangements for two new restaurant locations, both franchised, and both in Saskatoon, SK.
VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA, March 25, 2022 /EINPresswire.com/ -- Browns Restaurant Group has approved leasing arrangements for two new restaurant locations, both franchised, and
both in Saskatoon, SK.

A LIBERTY KITCHEN, the first outside of British Columbia, will be located in The Mall at Lawson Heights and construction will commence early this summer with a fall opening planned. This well-known shopping centre is already home to a successful BROWNS SOCIALHOUSE.

LIBERTY KITCHEN is a premium casual style restaurant that features globally inspired favorites with a focus on Mediterranean cuisines and warm climate culinary traditions. Using authentic and wholesome ingredients in an open kitchen, fresh house made pasta and hand-crafted pizzas are the core of food offerings. This concept provides an “on trend” high quality food and beverage experience in a setting that could be describes as being a “softened modern but still inviting” style. There are presently two LIBERTY KITCHEN locations in operation, one in South Surrey, B.C. and one in Langford, B.C. Both are franchised.

A BROWNS CRAFTHOUSE, the first in Saskatchewan, will be situated in downtown Saskatoon’s exciting River Landing district. This project is in the design stage and construction is slated to start late 2022 with a spring 2023 opening planned.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
High Key Brewing is moving into the Redline Harley Davidson space on 1st Avenue Downtown: https://www.instagram.com/p/CbnQU6-rrjn/
That is a great move for them (and for all of us who work downtown....).

That will be a nice combo with the Capital and High Key being there. I predict many afterwork drinks happening on that patio and many pre-concept drinks happening at High Key before hitting up the Capital.

And hey, IF the arena goes in the parking lot across from TCU, High Key and the Capital will be great pre/post show/game spots.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
I was hoping the building wouldn't be vacant for long. The Capitol has always been a little isolated, and the area needs all the help it can get, so this is good to see! If the arena takes the Midtown North parking lot, High Key will have a license to print money.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 9:20 PM

So there is mention that the Brown's Crafthouse will be a new construction at Riverlanding. Any idea what land it can be built on? Parking lot by Movie Theatre?? Or is this the "feature building" at the base of the Victoria/Traffic Bridge??

Old Posted Apr 15, 2022, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
So there is mention that the Brown's Crafthouse will be a new construction at Riverlanding. Any idea what land it can be built on? Parking lot by Movie Theatre?? Or is this the "feature building" at the base of the Victoria/Traffic Bridge??
I just assumed it would be in one of the towers, perhaps in the main floor of Nutrien Tower, facing out onto the plaza.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 9:35 PM

The former Chandeliers Restaurant in the Drinkle on 3rd Ave is becoming https://www.theavenueroom.ca/

Old Posted May 14, 2022, 4:45 PM

Very cool addition to event space. Makes sense, as dedicated restaurants just could not make a go of that space and location...not sure why.

Calendar is pretty empty right now, but I assume they are just launching their marketing. I know anecdotally from friends whose kids are looking for wedding venues, the popular ones are pretty booked up!!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 12:28 AM

Hooters coming to Saskatoon. Not clear from the story where it’s located. Interviews being held at JT’s at 8th & McKercher, but don’t know if that’s where Hooters will be. Owner is Jim Tomas. That doesn’t give me a great feeling about how the place will be run. Here’s a quote from the manager: Bowles emphasized that what will draw her to hire someone is “big personalities.”

https://www.ckom.com/2022/06/19/call...taurant-chain/

20 years ago when we had a revolving door of restaurants at River City Mall (current Birmingham’s), I thought that would’ve been an ideal Hooter’s location. Instead, it became an FCC office for a number of years

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 8:33 PM

Hearing Prairie Sun is heading into some difficulty? People on reddit were mentioning it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan