HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 6:59 PM
Community Guy

Just picked up my credentials...semi-trucks were beginning to roll on in.

Not sure which corner i will be at but i will post thurs evening so those going can try to get a picture of me in my 'whites'.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 3:06 AM
Big Dog

Does anybody know what the parking situation will be like for the Indy? Would anybody recommend public transit to get there?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 4:39 AM
Business Is Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKAN104 View Post
Does anybody know what the parking situation will be like for the Indy? Would anybody recommend public transit to get there?
I did Park & Ride last year and it was great.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 5:18 AM

Yeah, Park n Ride works great.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 2:31 PM
Community Guy

I have a parking pass at VIA Rail, but then again i have to be on-site at 6am for meetings.

Park and Ride is by far the best choice other than walking some distance.

Weather looks perfect T- 23 F - 26 S - 27 all sun

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 4:26 PM
Big Dog

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll be trying Park 'n Ride then.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 4:14 AM
GT Champion

Seems to be lots of people here for the indy milling about downtown tonight. Good to see.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 5:22 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz View Post
Seems to be lots of people here for the indy milling about downtown tonight. Good to see.
i can back that up...we walked around downtown then onto capex...lot's of race team hats, t-shirts, and rental cars!

The weather gods love Edmonton...thank god.

I have felt a rather large change in "mood" since monday with the city in regards to Indy.

I do wish they put checkered flags down jasper from 97st-124st and on 109st from the muni to whyte.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 5:32 AM
Community Guy

Edmonton Indy notebook
John Korobanik, edmontonjournal.com
Published: 4:29 pm
Tough on smaller drivers

Having raced on the Edmonton track the last three years, Paul Tracy figures the smaller drivers like Danica Patrick will be at a disadvantage come Saturday.

"This is a very physically demanding course," said Tracy. "In the past, in Champ Car, the smaller drivers tended to struggle near the end of the race. On this track ... there are things that add on to driver fatigue. I think girls will have a more difficult time because this is a very tough track with no rest at all, really."

Email to a friend

Printer friendly
Font:****Tracy stands five-foot-10, 190 pounds while Patrick, who became the first woman to win an IndyCar race earlier this year in Japan, is just 5-2, 100 pounds. Justin Wilson, who won in Edmonton in 2006, is 6-3, 193 pounds.

Castroneves good first-timer

Helio Castroneves, who is second to Scott Dixon in the IndyCar points standings, has earned eight of his 18 career wins on permanent road or temporary street courses, with the last win coming last season at St. Petersburg, Fla.

Historically, Castroneves has found success in his inaugural runs at various tracks. The most well-known, of course, are his back-to-back triumphs in his first two attempts at the Indianapolis 500 in 2001 and 2002. Castroneves has also earned three top-three finishes in his first appearances at tracks. He's also earned seven front row starts in inaugural runs including the pole in Watkins Glen in 2005.

"I've always enjoyed the Canadian races, as they're so much fun, so it's great we're headed back," he said of the only IndyCar stop in Canada this year. "The crowds are fantastic, and they really love their racing. I've heard great things about the circuit in Edmonton, and I have to say, I'm really looking forward to getting out on the track."

Conflicting advice

Danica Patrick has been involved in a number of conflicts with other drivers on the IndyCar circuit and Tracy, who has had his own share of conflicts throughout his 16 years of open wheel racing, sees nothing wrong with that.

"It creates attention for the series," he said when asked what he thought of the Patrick-Milka Duno shouting match in the pits of the Mid-Ohio race last weekend. "When you see the opening story on ESPN television is Danica-Milka Duno, that makes it a big deal."

And that attracts sponsors and, said Tracy, "from that standpoint, that's what the series needs to get to the next level."

Speaking of Patrick, Tracy said the conflicts show her emotion and desire to win, and perhaps the pressure she is constantly facing.

"She's obviously very competitive, has a lot of desire to win, to prove she can do this," he said. "Having gotten the first win out of the way ... now it's a question of you have to keep performing well, and along with that comes pressure. There's always pressure ... from the start to the finish of your career."

© Edmonton Journal 2008

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...6-b6186ef8a1dc

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 12:36 PM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

Indy ride sets pulse racing, stomach churning

Nick Lees
The Edmonton Journal

Thursday, July 24, 2008

CREDIT: Nick Lees/Edmonton Journal
Nick Lees gets a ride in a two-seater Indy car with driver Grant Ritchy.

EDMONTON - There's one thing I don't want to be when I grow up -- an Indy car driver.

The Dallara car's 3.5-litre, ethanol-powered engines generate more than 650 horsepower and I felt every hoofprint when I took off in one Wednesday.

I was pushed back hard into the seat in a car that accelerates from zero to 160 kilometres an hour in less than three seconds. That's about nine seconds quicker than it takes a Porsche 911 Turbo street car to reach the same speed.

"I've been stopped twice by the cops today," said driver Grant Ritchy from Indianapolis when he took me for a ride in a car with less than eight centimetres clearance above the road.

"They wanted to make sure I was street legal, if I had tires, lights, brakes, signals, that sort of thing."

He added that police stop him every day in his No. 9 Indy car converted for promotional trips. "I usually offer the cops a ride," Ritchy said. "They all say they'd love one, but they can't on duty."

The Dallara's brothers will hit the straightaway at City Centre Airport today at speeds in excess of 330 kilometres an hour.

I was initially disappointed when I arrived at the carpark at Rexall Place to see there wasn't the required team of 15 safety personnel that hover near the pits.

These speed demons would depend on the crew, who each must have 20 years of experience, if they were in a life-threatening situation. Like a fireball.

Instead of three paramedics, nine firefighters/ EMTs, two trauma doctors and one safety co-ordinator, I found Ritchy lying back enjoying the sun in the front cockpit of our two-seat, virgin-white-and-blue bullet.

I was barely able to squeeze into the cockpit.

It was 10 times tighter than the cockpit of a CF-18 fighter I rode in years ago.

Ritchy got out and helped/shoved me in, fastening seatbelts in a central lock.

"We have a Jim Beam promotional Indy car we take round some of the pubs in the U.S.," he said.

"Some of the guys crave a ride, but are too big to get into the car. Pub guys tend to be fairly large."

I didn't like the way he looked at me as he said that, but I felt better when he told me Indy drivers are very fit young men.

"They are fitter than football and basketball players," he said. "Their hearts might reach 200 beats a minute during a race. That's right up there with top endurance athletes.

"They must be physically capable of staying very focused while driving for two or three hours a day at between 150 and 200 miles (240 to 320 kilometres) an hour."

I told Ritchy I was very excited and I may have to go to the washroom during our ride. Surely drivers must answer when nature calls during a long race?

"I have no idea what they do," he said with a shrug. "Off the record, I'd say their pants might get wet."

He was more interested in telling me how drivers took on water. One touch of the $25,000 steering wheel in the proper place and a fountain of water shoots from a spout in their helmet.

They also touch the steering wheel to trim the car and talk to their team members. (Presumably to remind them to have a clean suit ready before they shake up Champagne at the finish line.)

I was in shock within moments of taking off down 118th Avenue, flying by vehicles at about the same level as car wheels and the steps of pickup trucks.

Kids waved at me as we roared by a bus stop. A couple of nurses blew me kisses. An elderly man waved his cane.

I felt sick and tried to yell to Ritchy that I thought we'd gone far enough. But he couldn't hear me above the roar of our engine.

We picked up more speed on Fort Road and then we must have been doing the speed limit on the Yellowhead Trail.

I felt the way I thought I'd feel in a space shuttle as it gathered speed.

I was delighted to see Rexall Place when we turned for home.

A handful of Indy fans were waiting for us. Most wanted rides. One kid asked me for my autograph.

I was about to tell him the real drivers were over at Capital Ex, but his dad was quicker and told him not to be so stupid.

nlees@thejournal.canwest.com

edmontonjournal.com

See Nick Lees and photographer Ryan Jackson take a ride down Wayne Gretzky Drive in a two-seater Indy car. Go to Videos.
© The Edmonton Journal 2008

Copyright © 2008 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www.canada.com/components/pri...42821&sponsor=

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 12:46 PM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

July 24, 2008

Danica puts spat behind her

By MICHELLE THOMPSON, SUN MEDIA

Courtesy: Edmonton Sun
July 23: Danica Patrick is crowded by reporters as she arrives at Connect Logistics for a meet and greet in St. Albert on 50 Corriveau Ave.

IndyCar star Danica Patrick, fresh off a spat with a fellow female racer last weekend, arrived in the city yesterday for the Rexall Edmonton Indy.

She made a pit stop in St. Albert for a meet-and-greet at a business sponsor.

"Everything's fine and I'm really just looking forward to this weekend," said Patrick of her heated exchange with Milka Duno before she was whisked away to meet lucky employees at alcohol distributor Connect Logistics.

"I'm excited to see all the fans. I heard this was a great event last year."

Patrick is making her first public appearance since a catfight with Duno, the only other woman racing here this weekend. She confronted the less-experienced driver about getting in her way during practice in Ohio. Witnesses said it grew heated and that Duno flung a towel in Patrick's direction at one point as the two exchanged words.Patrick said she only wanted to talk to Duno.

Patrick spoke briefly to reporters yesterday but wasn't available for interviews.

Those living in the driver's hometown of Roscoe, Ill., said tabloid fodder hasn't changed their opinion of the feisty 26-year-old driver.

"I'm the biggest Danica fan there is," said Steve Quies, owner of Croc's Pub. "I have a little shrine of her in my bar."

And when Patrick scandals emerge, it becomes a popular conversation topic for pint-pounding regulars, Quies said.

"She's got to be a little cooler," Quies said. "There's going to be a little catfight if she doesn't watch it."

Others living in Roscoe weren't following Patrick quite as intensely.

"It hasn't changed my life," said Andrew Murphy, of the town's Fire House Pub. "I don't think racing is a sport, really."

On her website Patrick said she is stoked about competing here.

"I have heard great things about the race in Edmonton," she said. "I have heard the course is challenging, but I am looking forward to going to a new race circuit.

"It should be a good race this weekend."

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmo...f-6248831.html

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 2:47 AM
Community Guy

Day 1 Recap:

I am on Turn 10 (half way between 9/10 to be exact) which puts me directly in the line of 150mph indy cars...

Crowd seemed to be roughly last year...good turnout.

I spoke to a few Ohio Indy boys and they had the following to say about Edmonton thus far:

1. Much "bigger" than they expected
2. More towers than they expected
3. Warmer than they expected
4. greener than they expected
5. friendly

I am pooped

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 2:54 AM
DRINK

It sounds like saturday might be a huge crowd...

The on track action was fantastic today, but there is a massive shortage of vendors. It looks like either IRL or Northlands has decided to control all the food and have not allowed any independant dealers. The merchandise also sucks. With champ you could buy all any teams crew shirt and all sorts of generic champ crew shirts...this year all they had was t-shirts.

But again, the action on the track has been by far the best I have seen over the last four years.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 3:04 AM
Community Guy

^yup...vendors were not as expansive nor was the merchandise but the on track was far far better than the past 3 years.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 3:05 AM
Community Guy

Text SizeEDMONTON - Australian Will Power, the pole sitter in Edmonton in last year's Champ Car race, served notice Thursday he aims to be back in front for Saturday's Rexall Indy.

The 27-year-old led the practice sessions with a speed of 113.936 miles per hour on the 14-turn airport/street course.

''We arrived here with a reasonable setup and we definitely improved after the first session,'' said Power, driving the No. 8 yellow and green Aussie Vineyards-Team Australia car.

''We're looking for a solid result to get some points, since we can't perform this well on ovals.''

Oriol Seriva, his teammate with KV Racing, was second, just a tenth of a second behind.

''Coming here to a place we know, it feels good to be on top of the timesheets, but we need to keep pushing.''

Home track advantage was clearly evident for some of the old Champ Car drivers who raced in Edmonton before Champ Car merged with IndyCar this spring.

Six of the top 10 finishers Thursday were old Champ Car hands, including Paul Tracy and 2006 Edmonton race winner Justin Wilson.

Helio Castroneves of Team Penske was third.

A buildup of dirt on the track combined with a number of drivers new to the course led to a lot of cars sliding off track into the grass.

E.J. Viso slammed into a safety barrier and wrecked the back wing of his Dallara in the first practice session and didn't compete in the second.

THRILL THRILLED: Paul Tracy showed Thursday there's no rust on him despite a four-month layoff from open-wheel racing.

The 39-year-old ''Thrill from West Hill'' ran eighth in practice sessions Thursday with top speed of 113.294 m.p.h.

''It went as well as you could hope for. We hoped to come in and have the car run all day and we did that.''

The Toronto-born racer is driving one of the cars for Tony George's Vision Racing team under a one-race deal with Walker Racing.

The man with 31 career wins under his belt missed a chance to get into IndyCar this year when the team he was under contract to, Forsythe Racing, declined to join up when the old Champ Car series merged with IndyCar.

Tracy has raced the last three years in Edmonton for Champ Car and hopes a strong finish Saturday will lead to a long-term deal down the road in IndyCar.

ANDRETTI TEAMS UP WITH JEDI: The force will be with Marco Andretti.

At least it will be on the side of his car.

The 21-year-old racer for Andretti Green will have his Blockbuster No. 26 Dallara redesigned to promote the upcoming ''Star Wars: The Clone Wars'' movie when he races Aug. 24 at Infineon Raceway in the San Francisco area.

''Clone Wars'' is the first feature film from Lucasfilm Animation and is set for wide release Aug. 15.

Earlier this year, Andretti's car featured a Indiana Jones on the side to promote the release of ''Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.''

SWAPPING PT STORIES: Paul Tracy is a newcomer to the IndyCar Series for Saturday's race, but the racing veteran has gone up against almost every driver at one time or another.

And they all have stories to tell.

''He's more than welcome in the series. I think we need a character like him,'' said Tony Kanaan.

His best Tracy story? Easy, he said. Vancouver 1998.

Kanaan was running in the top three and on his was to his first podium finish. Tracy was fourth. Tracy hit him twice under the yellow caution flag to try to knock him out of the race.

''He didn't manage to do it and then (the race) goes green, he pokes my rear tire off on the first corner. He got penalized but I missed my first podium.

''So that's one of my great memories with Paul Tracy,'' he said to laughter.

http://tsn.ca/auto_racing/story/?id=...es_auto_racing

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 4:08 AM
Urbis Maximus

Yeah, it seems like race fever has hit. I'll be at the track tomorrow and then for thee race on Saturday.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 3:02 AM

Anybody know if the Indy is being broadcast on peasant-vision this year? Every other time it's been on global, but they've got golf listed all afternoon.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 3:04 AM
why try anymore

Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
I'm so pissed. I get to work tomorrow.

I'll watch it from the 33rd floor I guess.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 3:40 AM
Urbis Maximus

You work too much.

Can't wait for tomorrow's race baby!!!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 4:51 AM

[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=517&i=dec07jan08326gt9.jpg][IMG]http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/6237/dec07jan08326gt9.6439936d97.jpg[/I
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton