HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 6:19 PM
Community Guy

^to compare katz and pocklington is SO SO VERY WRONG. Everything i have heard about Katz is positive...and although his business ideals are very aggressive, he is at heart a very kind person who loves this city and wants to secure the team here long term.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 6:25 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

^ I hope so. But the EIG's refusal to sell the team sounds to me like at least a few still have bad memories of Pocklington, regardless of whether Katz's a different guy or not.

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCentaur View Post
^ I hope so. But the EIG's refusal to sell the team sounds to me like at least a few still have bad memories of Pocklington, regardless of whether Katz's a different guy or not.
I see this more as posturing than anything else. Initial offers are rarely accepted and I fully expect Katz to submit another offer. You can bet that the interest level (in selling) of many EIG members will increase with the next offer.

Something that needs to be answered....how did this story get leaked in the first place?

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 10:10 PM
serial audiophile

/\ The EDM Journal is a part of the EIG.

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilbrush View Post
/\ The EDM Journal is a part of the EIG.
Yeah...I get that. I just don't see how it benefits EIG by having part of its group (the Journal) leak the story. One of Katz's people on the other hand.....

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 10:47 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Yeah...I get that. I just don't see how it benefits EIG by having part of its group (the Journal) leak the story. One of Katz's people on the other hand.....
Perhaps the journal was one of those wanting to sell?

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
Perhaps the journal was one of those wanting to sell?
I guess it's possible.
One things for sure....this is going to get very interesting before it's all over.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 3:45 AM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCentaur View Post
On what grounds can you draw that comparison? Was it based on the fact that the EIG simply declined to enterain Katz's offer? If so, that seems pretty weak.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 3:53 AM
GT Champion

I have no doubts we will see another offer from Katz. Nobody ever takes the first one...and Im sure a few of the owners sitting on the fence of whether to sell might be tempted with another couple mill thrown into the mix. We will see though.

I think there are certainly benefits to Katz owning the team, one being a new arena probably quicker and less problematic then with the EIA.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 3:55 AM

Of course the EIG will say the team is not for sale. Did anyone think they would come out and start advertising it?

Fact is - this is just an opening offer. For $145 million. Canadian. For a healthy franchise.

When Pittsburgh was for sale, Jim Balsillie's offer was for $175 million. US. For a team with a number of problems - including needing a new arena.

That's around a $50 million CDN difference. Still a ways to go with this I would guess.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 4:00 AM

I heard on the news today the opening offer was 125 million and the follow up was 145 million.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 2:26 PM

Word is the EIG is making a counter offer...

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...f31647574b&p=1

Quote:
In fact, I heard rumours on the weekend that such a counter-offer was made, and I've been trying to confirm it with Nichols or others on EIG's board since I was tipped about the Katz offer late Friday.

But the question never came on Monday. So Nichols didn't have to answer it. And I've had no opportunity to ask it myself, since Nichols has thus far declined to return any of my calls.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 10:30 PM

^ I think that rumor was just made up by the writer to attract attention to his column.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 3:15 PM
Community Guy

Katz sweetens offer for Oilers
Bid for NHL team bumped to $150M

Dan Barnes
The Edmonton Journal

Friday, June 15, 2007

EDMONTON - It's a month old and Oiler owners still consider it an informal bid, but

Edmonton billionaire Daryl Katz's offer to purchase the team now stands at $150 million Cdn, an increase of $5 million on his original gambit.

The Edmonton Investors Group, which owns the National Hockey League franchise, have discussed Katz's proposal but will not respond to it until they believe it constitutes a formal offer to purchase.

"There was talk about it (at a Thursday meeting of EIG), but because there was no offer, there was really nothing to talk about," said Cal Nichols, official spokesperson and board chair.

"It was a number on a piece of paper. It may have been on two pages, but an offer has to have all the conditions and subject-tos. It was largely hypothetical and conjecture. It wasn't why we met."

It was actually a three-page offer signed by Katz, but Nichols and the remainder of the EIG board members did not consider it substantive enough to distribute to all shareholders.

They met instead to vote on re-establishing the value of the franchise at an arbitrary $125 million, up from $96 million, a proposal that received almost unanimous acceptance. That means the retirement value of each of the 7,492 shares jumped from $12,830 to $16,683. This was done in order to facilitate the fair sale of shares, should any of the 34 shareholders wish to do so.

"We met in order to stay current on our shareholder agreement. Our objective was to go about our business," said Nichols.

He did confirm the $150 million figure as accurate but called it "adjustable" since a formal purchase price would have to allow for outstanding loans, taxes payable and deposits on season tickets. It's also known the offer is for shares rather than the asset itself, which means its value might be considerably higher than $150 million, given potential tax benefits to EIG shareholders.

Nichols also said the $150 million was exclusive of the money Katz has already committed to secure the naming rights for Rexall Place, believed to be $15 million over five years.

"That's a separate issue."

Katz's escalating interest in the franchise has sent reverberations through the city and particularly the boardroom of EIG, which has owned the team since 1998. Nichols said each shareholder met recently with board members to ascertain their feelings on a potential sale of either the team or individually held shares.

"We're trying to manage the collateral damage within the community and within our group," he said.

There is no doubt Katz's pursuit of the team has piqued the interest of some owners who are now willing to sell, a fact Nichols admits. However, EIG was not soliciting offers and he doesn't foresee the required 66.7-per-cent majority favouring a sale of the franchise, which was purchased from the Alberta Treasury Branch for about $100 million.

"This was unsolicited. It came out of the blue," said Nichols. "Never had there been a suggestion this group wanted to sell, or that the team was for sale. Even if it was a formal offer, it would require (66.7 per cent) of shareholders to agree to sell the asset."

Phone calls to other shareholders, including Bruce Saville and Ron Hodgson, were not returned Thursday. A spokesperson for Katz was contacted but would not comment on the offer.

Rather than a sale to Katz, Nichols envisions as "one probability" some consolidation of the company.

"People agreeing to sell their shares (to other investors or the company treasury) at a price they can live with," he said, adding that changes in the makeup of ownership are inevitable given the diverse nature of the group, the fact they have been together for a decade and the franchise is once again on solid ground financially.

"We've been together 10 years. Age becomes a factor. Already there have been two deaths in the group. Some don't live in the area. Some say 'I did my thing, I'm proud and happy that I did and maybe it's time to let it work more easily.' "

But he believes a majority of owners are still happy to be involved with the NHL.

"Some in our group are using a brand relationship (between their other businesses and the Oilers) just like the pursuer (Katz) wishes to do. There is a resistance (to selling out)."

There is no doubt the Oiler owners have enjoyed the benefits of being associated with a high-profile sports franchise. But it came at a cost of money and time. The owners borrowed $40 million and put up $60 million of their own money in 1998, then increased that with a $14-million cash call in 2001 to cover operating losses.

Starting with the first season ticket drive back in the gory days of the mid-1990s and continuing through the messy transition from former owner Peter Pocklington and the equally unpleasant departure of general manager Glen Sather, nobody has spent more time on the franchise than Nichols. He has to do what's in the best interests of the group, with one eye on his own situation.

"Eventually you have to move on," he said. "The question is, when is the right time? Many in our group are comfortable with a business/family succession plan. Those are the kinds of options guys in our group have.

"I've personally put a lot of sweat equity into this and to say it doesn't matter anymore, let it go, it makes it somewhat emotional. And yet I do speak for a large group and I have to be mindful of everyone's preference, goals and objectives. On any given day, there are 34 of them."

dbarnes@thejournal.canwest.com
© The Edmonton Journal 2007

Old Posted Jul 4, 2007, 7:24 PM
Derp

Thought this was interesting, though not sure how credible. Take it with a grain of salt.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8465

Old Posted Jul 4, 2007, 7:43 PM
Community Guy

^

Dan Tencer 630 CHED Radio
Come Out, Come Out...Wherever You Are UPDATE
Today @ 2:37 PM ET | Comments (35)
I'm beginning to wonder if Daryl Katz exists or if he's just the Keyser Soze figment of someone's imagination. He's apparently whispered to a reporter that his offer on the Oilers has been upped to $190 million. Thing is, the Oilers have never received any formal offer from Katz to buy the team. It all seems like napking-written numbers and whispers to the odd reporter. To my knowledge, Katz hasn't done a quoted interview with television, newspaper or radio throughout this whole ordeal.

Last week, Katz purchased the title sponsorship for the Grand Prix of Edmonton. He wasn't at the press conference. He didn't do any interviews. He ducked out of the gym when the media wanted a few minutes of his time. Is anybody else wondering if this is an indication of how he'd be as an owner? Asking for blind faith from ticket holders and sponsors without ever being available to answer questions?

If he really wants this team, it's time to step up publically and make a formal offer. Why should the Oilers organization keep having to comment on informal offers on a team that isn't for sale? Katz needs to stop negotiating through the media and show himself.

***Update: Katz's spokesman Josh Pekarsky was good enough to have a nice chat with me this afternoon. I don't like what he had to say, but he gets all the kudos in the world for putting up with my barrage of questions. It was a whole bunch of 'no comment' and he said that it's typical not to speak with the media during negotiations. That being said, he wouldn't confirm that there were any negotiations going on. He wouldn't confirm or deny that a formal offer had or had not been made. He wouldn't confirm or deny the $190 million offer. "If there was something to talk about, I'm sure Mr. Katz would be available." Hmmm...I guess there wasn't much to talk about last week when he purchased the title sponsorship for a major international sporting event being held in our city.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 12:57 AM

I heard on Team 1260 today that there is a rumour that Daryl Katz is going to offer $190,000,000 for the Oilers. There wasn't much more talked about but maybe he's getting serious.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 5:38 AM
Hicksville Perspective

I've got to ask ... even @ $190M aren't the Oilers undervalued? How is it that a town like Edmonton with a long, proud, hockey history and a town which lives and breathes the Oilers have a team which is worth (on paper @ least) so much less than Jim Balsillie is willing to pay for the Nashville Preditors in a town which has no hockey tradition tradition and which could (relatively speaking) give a crap about whether the team stays or not?

... hum ... perhaps we could light a fire under Katz' butt via starting a rumor that Balsillie has given up trying to buy the Preds and is now interested in buying the Oilers and moving them to Hamilton ... don't laugh anything is possibly in this era in the NHL

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 3:45 PM
Community Guy

given that the oilers were worth only 75mil a few years ago, 190 seems aight

Old Posted Jul 7, 2007, 5:13 AM

We need someone like Katz to 1) buy the Oilers 2) assist in facilitating a downtown rink 3) pony up some cash for some 1st tier players....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton