HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
According to MLA Greg Turner, the Avenir Centre holds the record in Canada this year (so far) with the largest audience attending a live sporting event. The most recent Wildcats game had 2278 fans in attendance (25% capacity). I wasn't there personally, and haven't gone to any games since we re-entered yellow phase, but maybe I'll go to the next game at the centre.
Its certainly not the same game experience anymore, but I'd recommend checking out the team at least once. The fans can still be decently loud for big moments but the empty seat visual is hard to ignore. Obviously Moncton was never known much for its fan noise to begin with, so the visual aspect is worse than the audio one. Mentally it took me quite awhile to get over the horrible timing of everything last season and how it ruined a potential championship run with sell out crowds. I watch these games with a much more casual mentality.

They are thin on offensive talent and the D is very inexperienced, but they work tremendously hard and well coached. The new European (Ivan Barbashevs brother Max) looks like a very solid audition only a few games in. He plays the exact same style as Ivan, and looks like he should be a top line player the next 3 years.

The new goalie who they recently acquired in a trade for Jordan Spence looked like he had some great tools for a 16 year old.

I truly hope that next season can begin with a much higher, or full capacity. The restaurant scene downtown has expanded nicely around Avenir in the last year. It would be nice to see it used to its full potential.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces