HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 7:19 PM

950-974 Market

Hopefully this can weather the planning process + value engineering.

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...rket_arch.html

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 10:07 PM
Green Berniecrat

Pretty interesting article on the Chronicle today describing the so-called "shadow landscape" of the city, basically buildings and projects that may have been proposed at one time but never came to be. As stated, some I'm sure we're all glad never saw the light of day, but others (ahem, SOM Transbay) are a little sad to look back at what could have been.

http://blog.sfgate.com/johnking/2014...en/#18164101=0

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 1:28 AM

brady&market Thanks for the Socket Site link. Though 950-974 is not my favorite cup of tea it is a very interesting building & would be I think the most dramatic building on Market Street. Now let's see how it looks after the city planners get their hands on it. Since the development includes housing I am for it.

Here is the a link to apparently the developers site with an aerial view of the proposed building.
http://950-974market.com/project/

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 3:11 AM

I love it. Most of the modern architecture we get is definitely of the "Lego block" variety, but this strikes me as unique (for SF, at least).

300+ units? Yes please.
15,000 square feet of small retail spaces? Even better, a good fit for cafes/bars/restaurants, and not banks and drug stores.

This, the Warfield renovation, and City Place will go a LONG way to connecting the Twitter/Civic Center/NEMA portion of Mid-Market with the Union Square/Westfield/Financial District portion.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 3:37 AM
Build Baby Build

It's so incredibly modern I love it. I am still trying to figure out where the light is coming from in the atrium, though. They seem to have left out any indication that the base would be used for retail, hinting even at art space. I think they need to include more neighborhood retail facing market st than 15k sq ft, just as a matter of principle. A 75k sq ft art space is less necessary than quality retail space. Otherwise, I hope it gets build at 180'.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
I love it. Most of the modern architecture we get is definitely of the "Lego block" variety, but this strikes me as unique (for SF, at least).

300+ units? Yes please.
15,000 square feet of small retail spaces? Even better, a good fit for cafes/bars/restaurants, and not banks and drug stores.

This, the Warfield renovation, and City Place will go a LONG way to connecting the Twitter/Civic Center/NEMA portion of Mid-Market with the Union Square/Westfield/Financial District portion.
Speaking of City Place (now Market Street Place) does anyone know what the status of that project is? It seems to be in limbo right now, I agree it's a MAJOR piece of the Mid-Market revival and I can't wait to see construction started.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushMan View Post
Speaking of City Place (now Market Street Place) does anyone know what the status of that project is? It seems to be in limbo right now, I agree it's a MAJOR piece of the Mid-Market revival and I can't wait to see construction started.
Good question. Since going full-tilt on demolition last year, this one got very quiet.

If you search for BPA number 201011084497 here, then click "Show All Addenda Details", it looks like Swinerton is still working to get the foundation plans approved as of this week.

The original plan was to start construction in July with completion in early 2015, but that isn't going to happen. Late 2015 is more likely now.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 5:32 PM

Have there been any rumblings about potential tenants for City Place? The Topshop/Topman one sounded very exciting and promising, and would be perfect for that site, but seemed like just a rumor.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 7:12 PM

Also, excellent and interesting article on WSJ.com today. Not that the city will actually heed the data, but the articles damning San Francisco's NIMBYism and building restrictions keep piling up.

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2014/...bs-that-build/

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 6:28 AM

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCArch View Post
They need the space. Not only for the sales, but for the back area. They lost part of their basement level stockroom to the Central Subway. Their break room and time clock has been relocated to the second basement level of 55 Stockton (under Crate&Barrel). So for them to start work they have walk into 55 Stockton, walk down 2 flights, go to the northwest corner of the building, clock in, back up to the street, walk down the block, around to Ellis street and around the corner to their employee entrance.

As far as the new building with the massive doors, I think that's a pretty cool feature though I wonder how often the doors will be open. I somehow picture them installing them, using them in the beginning and never opening them gain much like the skylight over the Nordstrom side atrium in the Westfield Mall. It will certainly have a better presence from Union Square and give the tourist a place to take pictures from across the street. As it is now, there is construction wall and the tourist stand outside taking pictures of the Apple sign and blocking the sidewalk.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 5:45 PM

Good to see some amazing projects happening in SF.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 10:09 PM

New mid-rise building, SF. Sorry if this has been posted before.

Humphreys and Partners

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 10:22 PM
She needs her space

^^^Where? That's very attractive, imho. Looks like a more proportioned version of that super skinny tower going up in NYC.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
New mid-rise building, SF. Sorry if this has been posted before.

Humphreys and Partners
Not sure where this is. Cars are headed in the wrong direction.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 11:12 PM

I'm not sure that's even in America...

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 5:39 AM
Only Mostly Dead

As minesweeper posted in its thread, the appeal was denied on the permits for demolition and construction at 340-350 Fremont. Those steps can now move forward. Demo should happen very quickly as the site had already been prepped for that.

Rincon Hill is undergoing sweeping changes. With this, there will be six towers under construction in this one corner of SOMA. And that just happens to abut another (Transbay) that has six of its own, including the two new tallest in the city. Incredible times for construction fans like me.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 5:45 AM
Only Mostly Dead

^^I'm with you guys. I don't see anything in that rendering that tells me it's San Francisco. I like it though and would be happy if that was going up here.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 7:56 PM

Here's the link, it says San Francisco. The image URL says "ofarrell" so I'm guessing somewhere along O'Farrell St.

http://www.jonathandelcambre.com/lat...ylzskt2yj76ugp

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 9:52 PM

That's some fairly attractive infill if it's actually a proposal. The rendering looks like nothing in SF, though. O'Farrell, huh? Any vacant lots or proposed sites that this looks like a fit for?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations