HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 7:41 AM

New owner for blvd 6200 in hollywood.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,7184924.story

Old Posted Jun 19, 2011, 6:03 PM
Paramoderator

I think we are immanent for a Wilshire Gayley groundbreaking .Just drove by the area yesterday, and they had the old Hollywood Video completely torn down, and it looked like they were going into site prep. I won't be surprised (but certainly happy) to see this one break ground over the next couple weeks.

This is the tower for those who are wondering, courtesy of Curbed LA.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2011, 10:17 PM

Where is this site located? It looks like a pretty good building to construct.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2011, 11:48 PM

^ Near UCLA, at the NW corner of Wilshire & Gayley.

Thanks for the update, Illithid.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 4:07 PM
BANNED

I think they said this was just demo and the building would not be starting soon. But, as I recall, they had worked with Metro so as not to intefere with either location of the proposed Purple Line stations, so maybe they can begin while still deciding whether to go condo or hotel.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 11:06 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I would have a hard time seeing this moving forward anytime soon as a pure condo tower. It would have to have a significant hotel component to get financing anytime in the near term or medium term.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 12:10 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
I would have a hard time seeing this moving forward anytime soon as a pure condo tower. It would have to have a significant hotel component to get financing anytime in the near term or medium term.
It won't be a condo tower. All hotel except for ten condos. So, yes, I would say that it has a significant hotel component.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 4:36 AM
Paramoderator

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2011/0...sky_1.php#more

In other news, Curbed LA is reporting that Molly's Burgers is closing June 30th. This hamburger shack has been sitting on the property in Hollywood that an attractive, glassy, 8 story office building is supposed to go on. So, more good news for Los Angeles Metro this week.

This is the building that will be going up.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 4:32 PM

Vacant lot in Koreatown is sold to developer
Don Hankey buys the land at 3670 Wilshire Blvd. from Shin Young America, a South Korea-based company.

http://www.latimes.com/business/real...,4957837.story

By Roger Vincent, Los Angeles Times

July 14, 2011

A prominent vacant lot on Wilshire Boulevard in Koreatown was bought for $21 million by a local developer who plans to build a retail and residential project and help create a public park.

Don Hankey bought the land at 3670 Wilshire Blvd. on Wednesday from Shin Young America, a South Korea-based company that bought the site for $45 million in the mid-2000s, real estate broker Jimmy Chai said.

Shin Young had dramatic plans for the 2.2-acre site east of Western Avenue calling for dual condominium and hotel towers as tall as 41 stories. The project was delayed by legal wrangling and halted after the condo market collapsed during the recession, said Chai, of Cushman & Wakefield.

Hankey plans to develop the half of the lot fronting on Wilshire Boulevard and sell the back half that faces 7th Street to the city's Community Redevelopment Agency, said Ed Johnson, a representative of City Councilman Herb Wesson.

Click link for more.

Curbed had a story on it a while back that shows the lot in question-

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2008/1...p_for_sale.php

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 6:18 PM
BANNED

Good news. But I hate to ask: any renderings or discussion of height or style?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 10:06 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Good news. But I hate to ask: any renderings or discussion of height or style?
Normally, when this kind of specific announcement happens, a rendering is only days away.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 2:58 AM
BANNED

is the cra going to have money to buy the land from hankey?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 3:05 AM

Will CRAs even exist in California anymore?

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 7:41 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
is the cra going to have money to buy the land from hankey?
Apparently, because they are about to close on the sale.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 9:28 AM
Paramoderator

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2011/0...alkability.php

This is another one of those projects where there is nothing wrong. Two attractive tall building, a renovation of a historic building while still maintaining said buildings historic identity, and an added pedestrian focus to boot! This giant project will be a combination of hotel and condo, get rid of the driveway leading up to the current hotel, add a subway stop, and try to make that section of Century City more pedestrian friendly by adding retail along the base. Great, huh?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 2:56 PM

The Century City towers look attractive and this is exactly where new development should be concentrated-- within walking distance of transit.

It's pretty clear how to create jobs if this was as important a national priority as tax cuts for hedge-fund managers and oil companies. If we were serious about reducing unemployment and creating jobs, we'd create an infrastructure bank and leverage the initial capitalization to attract private dollars to build the infrastructure we need to keep our economy competitive. It's estimated that with a $10B initial capitalization from the fed govt, we could leverage $100B - $200B in private-sector investment.

http://commerce.senate.gov/public/in...1-de668ca1978a

If we then used this funding to invest in rail transit, we'd not only create jobs building the infrastructure but also with the tens of billions of dollars in real estate development around the stations.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 4:44 PM

^ That's just in LA. Think of what would happen if every major city in the US was decked out with rail... i'm thinking TRILLIONS in real estate transit-oriented development...

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 6:52 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
^ That's just in LA. Think of what would happen if every major city in the US was decked out with rail... i'm thinking TRILLIONS in real estate transit-oriented development...
Do you know how much a trillion dollars is?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 4:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2011/0...alkability.php

This is another one of those projects where there is nothing wrong. Two attractive tall building, a renovation of a historic building while still maintaining said buildings historic identity, and an added pedestrian focus to boot! This giant project will be a combination of hotel and condo, get rid of the driveway leading up to the current hotel, add a subway stop, and try to make that section of Century City more pedestrian friendly by adding retail along the base. Great, huh?
This is about as good as can be hoped for in CC. Not exactly urban but suburban dense. CC has the potential to be what La Defense and Canary Wharf failed at: a very large integrated housing, retail and office complex that is walkable and not mostly cement. Time to ban all surface parking and get more kiosks and benches; open the shopping areas to the streets and plazas. The buildings should be done about the time the subway arrives.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
This is about as good as can be hoped for in CC. Not exactly urban but suburban dense. CC has the potential to be what La Defense and Canary Wharf failed at: a very large integrated housing, retail and office complex that is walkable and not mostly cement. Time to ban all surface parking and get more kiosks and benches; open the shopping areas to the streets and plazas. The buildings should be done about the time the subway arrives.
I thought all surface parking was already banned in Century City since Century City was first created (all parking is underground or in parking structures); I've always felt that was one of the things that contributed to its sterility and unsettling vibe.

I agree what you said about this being as good as can be hoped for in Century City. By design, it is essentially a car-oriented suburban office/retail/housing complex. I've walked from the Intercontinental Hotel (I was at a wedding there) to the Century City shopping center and back (one way distance between the two is probably like a half mile or less); and though you're obviously not walking through a slum, and everything is nicely landscaped, etc., you still don't feel like you're walking through an urban large city; even on a weekend, the streets of Century City always feel like a ghost town-- you don't see anyone walking, and even Ave. of the Stars usually has very little vehicular traffic on it.

~ Charles Bukowski

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations