HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 2:54 PM

I noticed this morning a new sign on the empty lot on the corner of Champlain and du Marché advertising a new 3 storey building to be built bu Du Parc Real Estate (a company affiliated to Foulem Construction).

It was for sale with Roger LeBlanc a while ago, than I noticed it was sold and now there's this new sign.

Didn't had a chance to stop by to take a picture but it's similar to what they built next door but with an additional floor.

It's the same lot that was supposed to be used for Place Evangeline.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 9:55 PM

I had the chance to take a picture of the proposed building on rue du marché.

This will be a nice addition to the area.

On an other note, I also noticed the rendering that announced the building between City Hall and Place 1604 is now gone. Although I'm not sure if the wind took it or if the project is a no-go.

Here is an article from last year: http://www.acadienouvelle.com/actual...dieppe/?pgnc=1

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 10:39 PM

This project hasn't been cancelled, it has been updated, check out here on the Somerled website. The photo posted is also from there website.

http://www.placecartier.com/

http://www.somerled.ca/project/dieppe-nb

This is another fantastic building for the city, It would be fantastic if they could add more height in Dieppe and towards champlain mall, giving a more connected feel between Moncton and Dieppes downtowns.

Last edited by Monctoncore; Feb 12, 2014 at 10:49 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 12:26 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Wow, thanks Monctoncore for finding this. I liked the original design, but I like this one even better. It's fits into the character of downtown Dieppe a lot better than the original design did.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 12:36 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Awesome finds folks! These projects will certainly bump up downtown Dieppe another notch or two in the density and quality department as well

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 12:45 AM

Now just to move Angies....

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
Now just to move Angies....
lol

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 1:47 PM

They desperately want to move Angie's, but no one, and certainly not taxpayers, are willing to pay Ronnie's inflated price for the property.
I guess it's a free market. If Ron wants $X millions for his boobie bar, then that's the price!
EDIT: I always wondered though why they don't just expropriate it?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 2:16 PM

I'm sure an electrical fire could take place......

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 2:46 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

As long as the company is operating within the law, what business is it of the city to go after them? I'm not saying I think it's a good thing that we have a strip club at the busiest intersection in the area (for the sake of appearances), but it isn't the city's place to decide on morality.

As far as the business is concerned, I'm sure the land would generate more revenue if it was developed into offices or condos but that's up to the owners to decide. Given how that entire neighborhood is being redeveloped, that land is only going to increase in value. That said, I'm sure the strip club benefits tremendously from the notoriety they have. I've met people who've never even been to Moncton who have heard of 'the strip club across from city hall'.

Regarding expropriation... they have to give a fair market value for the property and compensate the owner. Not a cheap proposition. Then there are the legal costs. But more to the point, I have big ethical problems with the government taking land from someone so that someone else can redevelop it. It's different when you're talking about land for a public good like a school or hospital, but for a private business... that's awfully hard to justify.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 3:46 PM

Honestly, its just the way it looks, if it was 2 or 3 floors and right up against the street, people may not be complaining as much, but at this moment it looks very "woodsy" and it doesn't appeal to the area.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 5:00 PM

No moral high ground on my part. I've been a happy client of this fine establishment many times in the past, though not in the past decade or so. Odd thing, never anything new being presented in there - they all still look the same in there as they did 15 years ago. I just find it odd that ever since they hung their shingle there, council after council has been vocal about that parcel being underused. I was wondering if there was any reason why they haven't expropriated so I appreciate your feedback Myles. I'm unaware of how the process works - do they really have to justify expropriating it? Or is it just a matter of compensating the owner properly and taking it?

@Monctoncore, no electrical fires there yet that I know of, but I seem to recall a couple of gasoline fires!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 8:06 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
No moral high ground on my part. I've been a happy client of this fine establishment many times in the past, though not in the past decade or so. Odd thing, never anything new being presented in there - they all still look the same in there as they did 15 years ago. I just find it odd that ever since they hung their shingle there, council after council has been vocal about that parcel being underused. I was wondering if there was any reason why they haven't expropriated so I appreciate your feedback Myles. I'm unaware of how the process works - do they really have to justify expropriating it? Or is it just a matter of compensating the owner properly and taking it?

@Monctoncore, no electrical fires there yet that I know of, but I seem to recall a couple of gasoline fires!
Oh, I have no idea if the city would need to justify expropriation to someone or not. I meant that it would be ethically hard to justify taking someone's land to give to someone else just because you don't like what they're doing with it and haven't got a legal reason to make them stop.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 5:28 PM

New Pita Pit

Another Pita Pit location announced for Dieppe across from Champlain mall ( must be where old Kent store location). This will be their flagship store. Sure wished we would get something new and not multiples of same old, same old.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 7:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbujold View Post
Another Pita Pit location announced for Dieppe across from Champlain mall ( must be where old Kent store location). This will be their flagship store. Sure wished we would get something new and not multiples of same old, same old.
Interesting.

Back when Pita Pit first announced their expansion plans for the city last year, they mentioned this spot (presumably in the Champlain Plaza phase 2), as well as a civic address on Elmwood Drive corresponding to the old Price Chopper location (where the new strip mall will be built).

I take from this that:
1)- Champlain Plaza phase 2 will be built soon (maybe this year).
2)- that Pita Pit will indeed cohabitate with Starbucks in the outbuilding at the front of the strip mall development on Elmwood. This will also be built this year (if that is, the snow ever melts)…..

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 12:50 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Further to the above, Plazacorp has updated the site plan for Champlain Plaza phase 2 slightly.

Not much change, but the plan is a little more detailed. The standalone pad out front with the drive-thru is no longer listed as a KFC. There is no mention of Pita Pit on the site plan, but then again no businesses are listed at all……..

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 12:54 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

and further to the above, as cbujold reported, Pita Pit is indeed building in the Champlain Plaza phase 2 this summer. They will be occupying the standalone pad out front and according to the T&T, this location will be their local flagship. This store will have a drive-thru which will be rather unique. This will be only the third Pita Pit in the world to have a drive-thru…….

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 12:31 PM

Here's a link to Cobalt planed development for 355 Dieppe Blvd.

It looks like they plan to rebuilt the entire corner.

http://www.cobaltproperties.ca/files...vd_Jan2014.pdf

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emad View Post

This is a huge development for that area, especially considering that it looks like they are planning on demolishing the existing building. It's really not that old.

There's a lot of square footage here, I wonder if they have any tenants lined up.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 10:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emad View Post

Thanks for finding this emad!

For the simple reason that I prefer including images directly on our forum rather than providing links, I took the liberty of doing a screen capture from the Cobalt pdf:

It kind of reminds me of a mini-Mapleton Centre, or Mapleton Crossing with a bunch of small retail strips and restaurant pads mixed in with larger standalone stores.

I count two drive-thru coffee shops or fast food restaurants, with five other small retail outlets and a single larger standalone store of 28,000 sq ft. The plans seem fairly detailed (although I'm sure they are subject to change) - I wonder if they have any tenants lined up?

This will essentially complete the Dieppe Blvd/Champlain St intersection when built. It will be a substantial retail commercial node with this on the southeast corner, The Assurance Goguen office building and Super 8 Hotel on the southwest corner, the new Irving/Circle K/Pita Pit/McDonalds on the northeast corner and the Irving regional office building on the northwest corner.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces