HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 6:22 PM

I was only posting a photo from the article's 'gallery'. And I just noticed that The Grand will not be that tall in the back there and all that. The only reason I am pushing for a better skyline is because LA is a major metro in the USA, why should it not be? Some disadvantages lead to other advantages some cities don't have, I think LA has a lot of low rise and parking lots that are prime real estate for vertical construction, so I feel like there are no excuses to not build up as the entire basin is filled up at this point.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 11:01 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ You are amongst like-minded people, then.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 2:14 AM
LADevelopmentMap.com

^^ This is going to change my least-favorite angle of the skyline as seen from Dodger Stadium

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastSupertall View Post
^^ This is going to change my least-favorite angle of the skyline as seen from Dodger Stadium
Well, the rest of the angles will improve too, it's all relative And it's a shame they build Dodger Stadium facing away from DTLA, the skyline would be a sweet backdrop from the hitters perspective (assuming it would be visible from inside the stadium). And the stadium seats would definitely benefit from the view.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 8:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
Well, the rest of the angles will improve too, it's all relative And it's a shame they build Dodger Stadium facing away from DTLA, the skyline would be a sweet backdrop from the hitters perspective (assuming it would be visible from inside the stadium). And the stadium seats would definitely benefit from the view.
If the stadium faced downtown to the south, during day games the sun would often be right in the hitters eyes. No impact on night games of course. The view would be nice today, especially from the upper decks. The sun aspect may have been why the stadium was built the way it is. And of course when it was built in the early 1960s, DTLA wasn't much to look at. Now it is. Eventually I expect much of the vast parking lot to be turned into mid-rise housing/condos (10-20 stories?) and perhaps some office/retail, with maybe a few towers above 30 floors. The historic stadium would be left intact. Multi-level parking structures below ground could replace the lost parking spaces. Maybe the aerial tram from Union Station proposed a few years ago could be built to the stadium and housing. The housing village could be called Chavez Ravine or Dodgertown.

Last edited by CaliNative; Feb 9, 2020 at 8:51 AM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 12:14 AM

Yeah I just checked the orientation of the stadium and if it were flipped I believe sunsets would be in the eyes of hitters umpires and catchers.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
If the stadium faced downtown to the south, during day games the sun would often be right in the hitters eyes. No impact on night games of course. The view would be nice today, especially from the upper decks. The sun aspect may have been why the stadium was built the way it is. And of course when it was built in the early 1960s, DTLA wasn't much to look at. Now it is. Eventually I expect much of the vast parking lot to be turned into mid-rise housing/condos (10-20 stories?) and perhaps some office/retail, with maybe a few towers above 30 floors. The historic stadium would be left intact. Multi-level parking structures below ground could replace the lost parking spaces. Maybe the aerial tram from Union Station proposed a few years ago could be built to the stadium and housing. The housing village could be called Chavez Ravine or Dodgertown.
The Dodger Stadium parking lot is such a huge waste of space. Why not build two large parking garages & turn the rest into housing or a park?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
The Dodger Stadium parking lot is such a huge waste of space. Why not build two large parking garages & turn the rest into housing or a park?
"
If L.A. develops an acropolis ("high city"), it would be there, on the Elysian Fields of Chavez Ravine. Dodger Stadium would be the Parthenon at the center, surrounded by high density housing (including many affordable units), offices and shops. Parking underground. Connected to the city below by a tramway to Union Station.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
Blasphemy! The view with the palm trees and the San Gabriel mountains in the background is one of the most iconic stadium settings.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Blasphemy! The view with the palm trees and the San Gabriel mountains in the background is one of the most iconic stadium settings.

Agreed. This one of the most picturesque and iconic views in all of baseball. Sometimes I just ignore some statements, because clearly they are not sport fans.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 6:08 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
From an aesthetic standpoint, it would absolutely ruin the views that Dodger Stadium provides. Which is one of it's main selling points. From a realistic standpoint, Dodger Stadium is an island in a sea of parking but build MORE parking? Not only that, but there is 2 ways into and out of Dodger Stadium. So no.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Agreed. This one of the most picturesque and iconic views in all of baseball. Sometimes I just ignore some statements, because clearly they are not sport fans.
So my suggestion that Dodger stadium should view the skyline makes me a non-sports fan? I probably know more about baseball history than any two 'fans', I just so happen to be a fan of another team nearby. Careful pushing people aside like that.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
It would be nice if they can replace the asphalt at Dodger Stadium with permeable stones/or drivable grass with pavers...green it up and have special events in the lot when there are not games. I know it would be expensive but adding more trees and green space would help Los Angeles with its sustainability plan. Plus, I like the idea of a funicular. Also, some green development on the outskirts would be great without destroying the stadium views. It's such wasted space for much of the year.

Last edited by LA/OCman; Feb 11, 2020 at 4:57 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 9:13 PM

I love the idea of an aerial tram from somewhere in Chinatown, up to Chavez Ravine. Would be a great way to get to the game, and there would be killer views from the tram. You'd have tourists taking the tram just for the views alone.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA/OCman View Post
It would be nice if they can replace the asphalt at Dodger Stadium with permeable stones/or drivable grass with pavers...green it up and have special events in the lot when there are not games. I know it would be expensive but adding more trees and green space would help Los Angeles with its sustainability plan. Plus, I like the idea of a funicular. Also, some green development on the outskirts would be great without destroy the stadium views. It's such wasted space for much of the year.
They’ve added some greenery, and it looks better at night. But yes!!! More greenery would be even better.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 1:40 AM
DENNAB

I wonder how many of the projects on the first page are legit and have any chance at all. Even one 2-250 new meter building in LA would be really nice.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 5:35 PM
LADevelopmentMap.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I wonder how many of the projects on the first page are legit and have any chance at all. Even one 2-250 new meter building in LA would be really nice.
I mean, almost all those projects U/C are now completed or underway. A lot of those proposed projects are legit. Given a long enough timeframe, most will all happen eventually

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 5:36 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Latest new groundbreaking...

https://urbanize.la/post/excavation-...district-tower

Quote:
Heavy equipment is on-site at 520 Mateo Street in the Arts District, as developer Carmel Partners breaks ground on a mixed-use high-rise development.

watermark
Hunter Kerhart Architectural Photography

The centerpiece of the project, which abuts both the 4th Street Bridge and Santa Fe Avenue, will be a 35-story tower containing 475 live/work apartments - including 50 affordable units. Plans also call for the construction of a six-story structure containing 105,000 square feet of office space.

A shared podium structure spanning across the property would include parking for 650 vehicles, masked from view by roughly 20,000 square feet of ground-floor shops and restaurants.

Rising approximately 390 feet in height, the 520 Mateo development will be the tallest structure in the Arts District upon completion. Works Progress Architecture has designed the project as a contemporary glass-and-steel structure, with large amenity decks at the podium and roof levels. A former rail spur which flanks the southern property line is to be repurposed as a pedestrian passageway linking Mateo Street with Santa Fe Avenue.

An environmental study conducted for the project previously indicated that construction would occur over approximately 31 months, inclusive of the demolition of the warehouse that previously stood at 520 Mateo Street.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 6:40 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post

Ignore the first page. It's about 3 years out of date.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 7:11 PM

Paddy's pub is about to get a big new neighbor!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations